DeSantis now dictating school curriculums from the capital of Florida

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I’d have to look at the syllabus and see DeSantis’ specific criticisms and/or recommendations on how the course can be “corrected” for Florida. I’m guessing his office hasn’t done the real homework yet, though.

Excerpt from a WaPo article that predates the Desants decision:

Lessons, spanning 400 years, include the origins of the African diaspora, the slave trade, culture and community, resistance and abolition, Reconstruction, Black freedom movements, and contemporary debates.

As with all Advanced Placement courses, while the teachers must cover the overarching topics, they have considerable latitude in deciding the specifics of and materials for instruction. As they shape their lessons, members of the pilot cohort are relying on one another for ideas and problem-solving through an online community. The College Board has also enlisted about 20 professors to help shape the course.

The aim is to avoid the kind of oversimplification that suggests all Black people are good and all White people are bad, said Evelyn Brooks Higginbotham, a professor of African American Studies at Harvard University, who is among the advisers.
For example, Higginbotham said, a successful class could force students to struggle with the fact that some Africans sold other Africans — and not just those from enemy tribes — into slavery. Or that one of the men who helped the famous Henry Box Brown escape bondage in Virginia by mailing himself to Philadelphia was White.

“The purpose is not to indoctrinate them or guide them in some kind of political philosophy. … The story is so much more complex than simply White people versus Black people,” Higginbotham said.

So…how is this bad???

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorba and Pohemi

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I’d have to look at the syllabus and see DeSantis’ specific criticisms and/or recommendations on how the course can be “corrected” for Florida. I’m guessing his office hasn’t done the real homework yet, though.

Lessons, spanning 400 years, include the origins of the African diaspora, the slave trade, culture and community, resistance and abolition, Reconstruction, Black freedom movements, and contemporary debates.

As with all Advanced Placement courses, while the teachers must cover the overarching topics, they have considerable latitude in deciding the specifics of and materials for instruction. As they shape their lessons, members of the pilot cohort are relying on one another for ideas and problem-solving through an online community. The College Board has also enlisted about 20 professors to help shape the course.

The aim is to avoid the kind of oversimplification that suggests all Black people are good and all White people are bad, said Evelyn Brooks Higginbotham, a professor of African American Studies at Harvard University, who is among the advisers.
For example, Higginbotham said, a successful class could force students to struggle with the fact that some Africans sold other Africans — and not just those from enemy tribes — into slavery. Or that one of the men who helped the famous Henry Box Brown escape bondage in Virginia by mailing himself to Philadelphia was White.

“The purpose is not to indoctrinate them or guide them in some kind of political philosophy. … The story is so much more complex than simply White people versus Black people,” Higginbotham said.

So…how is this bad???
Holy shit, it makes it sound like history might be a little complicated. That's basically teaching CRT!

One of my favorite high school classes was AP American History and we were forced to argue differing viewpoints which is what it sounds like this class is trying to do.

Reactions: Captante and Pohemi

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

So…how is this bad???
In theory nothing but I would have a few questions.

AP classes are for the brightest more mature students. They are not going to fall for simplistic all white people bad all black people good.

Think the same kind of scrutiny was applied before approving European history?

Florida won't disclose specifics why AP AA history curriculum rejected. No transparency.

AP classes are VOLUNTARY.

Last edited:

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Holy shit, it makes it sound like history might be a little complicated. That's basically teaching CRT!

One of my favorite high school classes was AP American History and we were forced to argue differing viewpoints which is what it sounds like this class is trying to do.
Yep. Way back when I was in an AP combo Social Studies and English course, I was taught that Lincoln was actually a racist (like most white people then) and my parents really wanted to pull me from that class. This is way back in 71, in Virginia.

Reactions: Pohemi

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
What makes you think an outright fascist is nationally electable? The guy has no tact, no charisma, and most importantly no real policy other than this pointless culture war stuff. He can be the dictator of his little crazy castle in Florida but nationally he'll be laughed at.
One of his own campaign people said he looks good on paper, in person, not so much.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

So…how is this bad???

these intellectual elitists need to know their place ! /s

me theenk gud

Reactions: Pohemi

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
What makes you think an outright fascist is nationally electable? The guy has no tact, no charisma, and most importantly no real policy other than this pointless culture war stuff. He can be the dictator of his little crazy castle in Florida but nationally he'll be laughed at.

Together , we laughed at trump in 2012 during the primaries.

Desantis seems more savvy than trump smash with the culture war. That might win him some votes. If you stick it to the libs and “hurt” the correct targets, that’s what wins conservative votes

Reactions: Captante

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Together , we laughed at trump in 2012 during the primaries.

Desantis seems more savvy than trump smash with the culture war. That might win him some votes. If you stick it to the libs and “hurt” the correct targets, that’s what wins conservative votes
Fortunately savvy in magaland doesn’t beat charisma. I don’t believe DeSantis will be the chosen one to try to take out trump. My early guess would lean towards Youngkin to be trump’s challenger. He’s tall (taller than trump) and does well in debates.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Fortunately savvy in magaland doesn’t beat charisma. I don’t believe DeSantis will be the chosen one to try to take out trump. My early guess would lean towards Youngkin to be trump’s challenger. He’s tall (taller than trump) and does well in debates.

you never know. Conservatives voted for mr. word salad over others in the primary who were well spoken (iirc). It’s all about feelz, the race is to who will hurt the “right” people the most and bully people at debates

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
The guy has no tact, no charisma, and most importantly no real policy other than this pointless culture war stuff.
One of his own campaign people said he looks good on paper, in person, not so much.
Desantis seems more savvy than trump smash with the culture war.
My early guess would lean towards Youngkin to be trump’s challenger. He’s tall (taller than trump) and does well in debates.
Bolded is the point I was going to make about DeSantis. Besides his skin that's almost as thin as Trump's, he doesn't have the idiotic bravado that Donald has to skip all policy and just insult people on the stage.

He also has NO composure under pressure for talking about real policy or anything in contention. You might as well just watch Faux if you want his policy summary...the heads at Faux can at least spit their rhetoric without stammering, tripping over themselves, or looking like the deer in headlights like Ron does.

Not like the GOP base cares about actual debate performance, they thought Donald was the best when all he did was insult people. It isn't like they need to discuss policy to get the following of the idiot voters.

Reactions: hal2kilo

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

I hope they take out Youngkin by exposing that CRT lie

It’s really easy to pick apart. Tell the people it’s a Santos’s type lie

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
If it's a crowded field again, Trump will be the nominee. If it's a Trump v (Insert name here) there is a chance that "other" wins the nomination. Chance. Not a great one.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
DeSantis according to some of his students was sympathetic towards the southern side of the Civil War and taught things that were factually inaccurate.

One student said DeSantis was passively hostile towards her because she is black.

“Mr Ron, Mr DeSantis, was mean to me and hostile toward me” she told the Times. “Not aggressively, but passively, because I was Black.”

She said once while he was teaching about the Civil War, she felt he was making arguments for the justification of slavery.

Ms Minis was in the same class as Ms Pompey and said she also recalled those arguments during the Civil War section of the class. She said she didn’t believe that Mr DeSantis was politically motivated, just that he was factually incorrect.

Another former student, who asked not be named for fear of retribution at his job, said Mr DeSantis’s views on the Civil War were so well known that a parody video was made for the school’s video yearbook.

DeSantis’ students speak out about ‘hostile’ behaviour towards Black people, partying and inaccurate lessons (yahoo.com)