DeSantis claims our rights come from God not government. Is that correct?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Do our rights come from God or man as part of the elected government?

• Total voters

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Someone had to be that guy, so I voted for God. God can change his mind at will, so if he thought slavery was acceptable until a certain date, it is what it is. Who are you chuckleheads to question God.

By the way, God backwards is Dog. Probably God's greatest creation. Dogs love you no matter how ugly you are, how conservative you are, or even if you are a penis puffer. We should all try to be more like dog's, and less like gods, and we'd get along just fine.
I'm not sniffing your butt no matter how many times you ask.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I think it's wonderful that people believe in a God and pray to him. But there are a lot of people who don't have that belief, who have a right to vote and conduct their lives as they wish under civil, secular law. And there's a difference between a "sin" and a crime, with the religious fanatics trying to make a crime out of a sin when it wasn't previously under judicial precedent.

Ron DeSantis' war on enlightenment, pulling books from schools and firing teachers and administrators, his war on the university as a place where people are supposed to be able to seek the Truth, makes him my enemy and the enemy of America.

After the more recent news from Florida, I observe that I have never heard things more Medieval than the drivel coming from Ron DeSantis.

And I'm sick and tired of the Bible-Thumpers trying to upend our government and take away rights that individuals should have: the right to have an abortion, and the right to medically change out their toolbox so they feel more comfortable with it. The right to read books. The only right those people care about is the right of someone like Elon Musk to make more money (and screw everyone else).

They're all throwbacks to the Confederacy. They can call it seeing to God's will. I call it borderline Treason. People like Marjorie Taylor Greene shouldn't hold a position as elected dog-catcher, let alone US Representative. The woman needs to be put under observation in a secure mental-health facility.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
I think it's wonderful that people believe in a God and pray to him. But there are a lot of people who don't have that belief, who have a right to vote and conduct their lives as they wish under civil, secular law. And there's a difference between a "sin" and a crime, with the religious fanatics trying to make a crime out of a sin when it wasn't previously under judicial precedent.

Ron DeSantis' war on enlightenment, pulling books from schools and firing teachers and administrators, his war on the university as a place where people are supposed to be able to seek the Truth, makes him my enemy and the enemy of America.

After the more recent news from Florida, I observe that I have never heard things more Medieval than the drivel coming from Ron DeSantis.

And I'm sick and tired of the Bible-Thumpers trying to upend our government and take away rights that individuals should have: the right to have an abortion, and the right to medically change out their toolbox so they feel more comfortable with it. The right to read books. The only right those people care about is the right of someone like Elon Musk to make more money (and screw everyone else).

They're all throwbacks to the Confederacy. They can call it seeing to God's will. I call it borderline Treason. People like Marjorie Taylor Greene shouldn't hold a position as elected dog-catcher, let alone US Representative. The woman needs to be put under observation in a secure mental-health facility.

god wills it.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
This has been in the back of my brain for the longest time, that DeSantis reminded me of someone else in history. As soon as I saw this article it all flashed like a strobe light.

Ron DeSantis lacks the appeal of Donald Trump — but is he the second coming of Richard Nixon? | Salon.com

Edit: I just found out yesterday that DeSantis is not Hispanic, but Italian descent. Now I get his wife's look.

I always think of him as a bad impression of Greg Stillson from "The Dead Zone".

Reactions: Lezunto

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Not defending Meatball Ron, but that's a security guard on private property. Fully legal to do what they're doing.

But it's not great optics for such a champion of freedom and free speech. He's a special kind of snowflake, which was always going to be a problem for him on a bigger stage than signing state legislation that allows lynching at a Publix in St. Pete.

But, but free speach is a God given right that trumps everything else.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I tried imagining DeSantis running the nation exactly like how he's running Florida. I didn't know whether to laugh my ass off or start digging a bunker. Never in my life have I ever thought there was ever a time when the nation would elect someone worse than Trump, but there stands DeSantis in all of his megalomaniac fascist glory.

Look at what the GOP has devolved into when a guy like DeSantis has more than likely trumped Trump in every disastrous category I could think of in the way of leading the most powerful nation in the world. The GOP's nasty habit of projecting on the Democrats burning the nation down into ashes has never been more prophetic than delivering DeSantis to the White House.

Reactions: Lezunto and Pohemi

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
There was a Federalist author who 1-2 years ago wrote about how conservatives need to "get comfortable" with the idea of using government to punish liberals, because he said that was the only way they would have a lasting victory.

We will see it play out on a national level of DeSantis becomes president. They're already setting the set for another long game and Dems will be caught flat footed. Again.

• Wow
Reactions: HomerJS

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Ask Squishy :rolleyes:
I never said people said he can do no harm, But there are people saying he wouldn't mess with some of our core institutions and values like democracy. They also say all he's doing now is being performative and trying to get support, as if authoritarians in history only tested the waters and never used the power they acquired along the way.

DeSantis has already attacked some of our core institutions and values, from education to free speech to voting. And some people say oh he wouldn't do it after 4 years of the presidency.

They're fucking nuts.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I never said people said he can do no harm, But there are people saying he wouldn't mess with some of our core institutions and values like democracy. They also say all he's doing now is being performative and trying to get support, as if authoritarians in history only tested the waters and never used the power they acquired along the way.

DeSantis has already attacked some of our core institutions and values, from education to free speech to voting. And some people say oh he wouldn't do it after 4 years of the presidency.

They're fucking nuts.
Why would people who are promoting heaven on earth by actualizing God’s will stop doing what they are doing?

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Florida seems to just love Ron DeSantis, but the rest of the country does not. And I think people are getting tired of these divisive screwball politicians especially with Joe Biden having won against Trump by millions of votes. I kinda hope that all republicans have to offer in 2024 are Donald Trump and Ron DeSantis, then we'll see if America is as fucked up as MTG wants people to believe it is.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Florida seems to just love Ron DeSantis, but the rest of the country does not. And I think people are getting tired of these divisive screwball politicians especially with Joe Biden having won against Trump by millions of votes. I kinda hope that all republicans have to offer in 2024 are Donald Trump and Ron DeSantis, then we'll see if America is as fucked up as MTG wants people to believe it is.
Americans seem inclined to elect anybody if Fox can convince them they are pissed enough. At some point rage trumps self interest.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I get that, but you don't have to act like everyone here was saying this same thing. I understand your frustration, but try not to apply it to everyone in the P&N forums. IMO anyway, but post what/how you want.
Florida seems to just love Ron DeSantis, but the rest of the country does not.
Well...the rest of the country has plenty of Floridian-level clowns that just love his extremism because lib tears and christofascism. They're not a majority but elections are still rarely a landslide these days because the country is so divided right down the middle. Don't scoff at or minimize his chances, imho.

m8d

Nov 5, 2012
The two greatest frauds in the world are AmeriKKKa and religion.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I get that, but you don't have to act like everyone here was saying this same thing. I understand your frustration, but try not to apply it to everyone in the P&N forums. IMO anyway, but post what/how you want.

Well...the rest of the country has plenty of Floridian-level clowns that just love his extremism because lib tears and christofascism. They're not a majority but elections are still rarely a landslide these days because the country is so divided right down the middle. Don't scoff at or minimize his chances, imho.

the country leans liberally by the numbers. In presidential elections, the electoral college is the only thing keeping the GOP anywhere near the seat

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Americans seem inclined to elect anybody if Fox can convince them they are pissed enough. At some point rage trumps self interest.
Hoping the current and future lawsuits keep Fox muzzled through 2024.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012

DeSantis isn't that popular in FLA and is wearing out his welcome in some places. And he is now being called a "tyrant" because he kicked out some Trump supporters at his book signings. Today only the most extreme nutcases in the state espouse the Christian Nationalist doctrine, yet no one will overtly denounce it. Some say that DeSantis has openly done so in his speeches to hardcore Christian audiences. Although every right-wing politician talks one way to certain narrow audiences and another to broader ones. If DeSantis stops speaking strictly to the base, he may slip over the line. DeSantis many not have any sincere ideological beliefs, or a genuine hatred for gays, immigrants, et cetera, but he’s fully committed to being whatever kind of oppressive bigot is necessary to gain power, and following through to retain it.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
DeSantis isn't that popular in FLA and is wearing out his welcome in some places. And he is now being called a "tyrant" because he kicked out some Trump supporters at his book signings. Today only the most extreme nutcases in the state espouse the Christian Nationalist doctrine, yet no one will overtly denounce it. Some say that DeSantis has openly done so in his speeches to hardcore Christian audiences. Although every right-wing politician talks one way to certain narrow audiences and another to broader ones. If DeSantis stops speaking strictly to the base, he may slip over the line. DeSantis many not have any sincere ideological beliefs, or a genuine hatred for gays, immigrants, et cetera, but he’s fully committed to being whatever kind of oppressive bigot is necessary to gain power, and following through to retain it.

He just won the governorship reelection in a landslide, and he is not popular in FL?

• Wow
Reactions: Zorba and Lezunto

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Anyone who supports DeSantis, why doesn't this frighten you? Would it if we had a Muslim President?

Reactions: Lezunto