Dem Strategist: Women don't need guns, just tell men not to rape

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
She actually made a perfect point regarding rape and guns in that honestly women having more guns wouldn't make a significant impact on rape prevention just like banning assault rifles wouldn't have a significant impact on gun violence. As she said, if it was about having guns then the military would be the safest place for women and it's not. But most of the time a woman gets raped it's not a attack by a stranger in which she'd be pulling a gun, it's done by someone she knows and is happening before she realizes it.

If you want to prevent rape you should look at the source not the victim. Educating women about "how not to get raped" is not the way to go, working on teaching men to respect women as equals and not rape them is what needs to be done.

I honestly wouldn't be the least bit surprised to learn that a good number of male P&N posters were rapists considering how many of them seem to have zero respect for women.

Screech

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2004
She actually made a perfect point regarding rape and guns in that honestly women having more guns wouldn't make a significant impact on rape prevention just like banning assault rifles wouldn't have a significant impact on gun violence. As she said, if it was about having guns then the military would be the safest place for women and it's not. But most of the time a woman gets raped it's not a attack by a stranger in which she'd be pulling a gun, it's done by someone she knows and is happening before she realizes it.

If you want to prevent rape you should look at the source not the victim. Educating women about "how not to get raped" is not the way to go, working on teaching men to respect women as equals and not rape them is what needs to be done.

I honestly wouldn't be the least bit surprised to learn that a good number of male P&N posters were rapists considering how many of them seem to have zero respect for women.

Don't be silly, she wanted my dick, she just didn't know it yet!

/SARCASM

while you are correct for many cases, certainly there are those cases where a gun is, or can be, important.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

Because obviously no one ever thought to tell men not to rape women :rolleyes:

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
SWIPER NO SWIPING! (See it works on the dora the explorer cartoon!)

Really... I cannot fathom how someone can say this. "Teach them no". Yea... because all men grow up thinking Rape is Ok.o_O

A lot of them, as evidenced by all the hatred spewed towards women. Not just rape, but abuse in general. I have known very many abusive men AND women in my life, but the nastiest and most formidable were almost always men.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
The woman's point goes beyond just the gun

“I think that the entire conversation is wrong. I don’t want anybody to be telling women anything. I don’t want men to be telling me what to wear and how to act, not to drink. And I don’t, honestly, want you to tell me that I needed a gun in order to prevent my rape. In my case, don’t tell me if I’d only had a gun, I wouldn’t have been raped. Don’t put it on me to prevent the rape.”
http://feministing.com/2013/03/07/telling-women-to-get-a-gun-is-not-rape-prevention/

Her point is that women should be able to do whatever they want and expect there to be no consequences no matter how stupid.

Guess what. Certain ways of acting are going to make men think you want to have sex with them.

If you go up to a homeless man and start waving a cheeseburger in front of his face and he takes it from you do you bare any responsibility for that to happen? Or should we teach homeless people not to take food?

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
The woman's point goes beyond just the gun

http://feministing.com/2013/03/07/telling-women-to-get-a-gun-is-not-rape-prevention/

Her point is that women should be able to do whatever they want and expect there to be no consequences no matter how stupid.

Guess what. Certain ways of acting are going to make men think you want to have sex with them.

If you go up to a homeless man and start waving a cheeseburger in front of his face and he takes it from you do you bare any responsibility for that to happen? Or should we teach homeless people not to take food?

You really are a sicko. Seek help. Absolutely, people should be responsible for their behaviors, but that never invites forced sex. Thinking someone wants to have sex with you and then finding out that is not the case means you don't get to do it. It is pretty fuckin simple.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
A lot of them, as evidenced by all the hatred spewed towards women. Not just rape, but abuse in general. I have known very many abusive men AND women in my life, but the nastiest and most formidable were almost always men.

What need is there to be nasty and formidable yourself when you can just get someone else to do your dirty work for you?

Police responded after Saldana's wife called 911 to say he wouldn't leave their home when she asked. Saldana was walking along a sidewalk when the officer and dog approached. He said he turned around and dropped to the ground when asked, but Astor still attacked.
http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/03/01/2494813/police-dog-attack-leads-to-major.html#

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Don't be silly, she wanted my dick, she just didn't know it yet!

/SARCASM

while you are correct for many cases, certainly there are those cases where a gun is, or can be, important.

And I'm not for banning guns. But if we're looking to prevent and reduce rape, then arming more people isn't the most effective answer.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Because obviously no one ever thought to tell men not to rape women :rolleyes:

You are literally the last person I would ever try to have a conversation with about teaching men to treat women with respect. The local mysogynist to P&N clearly is not the expert on women's equality.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
You really are a sicko. Seek help. Absolutely, people should be responsible for their behaviors, but that never invites forced sex. Thinking someone wants to have sex with you and then finding out that is not the case means you don't get to do it. It is pretty fuckin simple.

I think the real sicko are the feminists who make rape up

http://www.city-journal.org/2008/18_1_campus_rape.html
Koss’s study had serious flaws. Her survey instrument was highly ambiguous, as University of California at Berkeley social-welfare professor Neil Gilbert has pointed out. But the most powerful refutation of Koss’s research came from her own subjects: 73 percent of the women whom she characterized as rape victims said that they hadn’t been raped. Further—though it is inconceivable that a raped woman would voluntarily have sex again with the fiend who attacked her—42 percent of Koss’s supposed victims had intercourse again with their alleged assailants.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001

Are you assuming that Woman are armed when they are raped in the Military? Despite popular belief unless you are solider on the frontline, in training or Military police most of the time in the Military the soldier isn't armed.

gun-control-guns-gun-control-demotivational-poster-1259858184_zpsa297e027.jpg

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005

Let's cut the BS - a man disagreeing and ridiculing a woman's blatantly idiotic drivel does not equal "zero respect for women." She deserves every criticism being thrown at her, and here's why:

"Regret rape" is not rape. If a chick willingly goes home with some stranger she met at the bar or frat party, and the morning after regrets having sex with him, the blame is entirely on her.

So now that we eliminated that, let's focus on the mugger jumping her in some dark alley. Contrary to feminist drivel, most men are not rapists, or even potential rapists. When she says "we need to train men..." she's really showing her bigotry, sexism, and hate of men. Only a small minority of men forcefully rape women - the same kind of men who would rob you at gunpoint on the street, or murder you in a home invasion. We call those men "criminals."

Anyone who knows anything about violent crime will know that criminals are usually armed, their attack is premeditated, they have no regard for the law, and the potential target can avoid becoming a victim by practicing some common sense situational awareness. I've heard rape victims claim how now they see the world differently, and look at strangers walking down the street with a nagging question "is he going to rape me?" GOOD! If only she didn't grow up in a delusional sheltered fantasy camp, she would have had the situational awareness to avoid being a victim in the first place. Next time, if she senses that some stranger or group of gangbangers are taking a suspicious interest in her as she's walking down a dark, deserted street, them maybe she'd know to trust her suspicion and get out of there instead of being an ignorant sheep.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I hadn't known...

It is because you refuse to ever think rationally about anything. You are a troll, and one the mods allow to break the rules on a regular basis. We all know what you are, even you, so no reason to think anyone takes you seriously.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
And I'm not for banning guns. But if we're looking to prevent and reduce rape, then arming more people isn't the most effective answer.

Neither is telling men that rape is wrong. HINT: They already know that.

And neither is telling women that going around drunk in slutty clothing with men you don't know is a good idea. In fact it sounds like exactly the opposite of how to avoid being raped.

For every other crime we have no problem with telling people they should do things to reduce the risk. You don't leave your car unlocked. And if someone said he was going to leave his new Lexus unlocked in Detroit because men should know not the carjack you would call him a idiot.

You are literally the last person I would ever try to have a conversation with about teaching men to treat women with respect.

I would think that would be liberals who seem to continually treat women like retarded children. That is not how I treat someone I respect.

stormkroe

Golden Member
May 28, 2011

Please support the bolded.
Also, quick question. You're being raped. You'd rather

A: Have a gun
B: NOT have a gun

Please answer honestly.

Screech

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2004
Please support the bolded.
Also, quick question. You're being raped. You'd rather

A: Have a gun
B: NOT have a gun

Please answer honestly.

That's a rather silly way to put it. If it got that far, chances are if you had the gun on you beforehand, you missed your chance to use it and the bad guy now has it, and if you try to get it back, the rape turns into a rape--> murder.

The better question is, would you rather have a gun before it got that far, and the obvious answer is yes.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002

Liberals like to use shame to push their ideas too.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Men's self hatred of themselves is amazingly sad. I feel so sorry for you sad fucks. You are so small, so pathetic, and so viciously spiteful because of it. I'm so sorry you never had real men to look up to. You are the Taliban in everything but name, vicious, ignorant, spiteful, brainwashed religious dolts. And you have no shame, parading around with shit all over your faces. Hehehehehe Worms can't stand up for a reason.

And this is why women should be trained in self defense and allowed to be armed, because there is no reasoning with these small, pathetic, vicious, ignorant, spiteful, brainwashed religious dolt Taliban type males.

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
Basically her whole spiel is that women should have no responsibility.
If that was the extent of her spiel, then she'd be completely right. Crime victims aren't responsible for the crime, the criminal is. If you assign responsibility to the victim, you are an idiot.

When it comes to rape, pretty much every radical feminist I have ever read goes much further than that, though. If you point out, under any circumstance, even with good evidence, that a different choice of behavior has a significant chance of shielding an individual from being victimized then they will consider you to be "victim-blaming" (even though that's a complete logical non sequitur, and these same people will freely admit e.g. to locked doors hindering burglaries and home invasions). Even when the evidence is so iron-tight they can't argue against it, they'll pull out something equally absurd like claiming that successfully protecting an individual just shifts the rape onto other victims without reducing rape.

It's a terrible waste; they mean well, but they put lots of energy towards opposing concrete measures of reducing rape which would actually work.
And neither is telling women that going around drunk in slutty clothing with men you don't know is a good idea. In fact it sounds like exactly the opposite of how to avoid being raped.
That sounds reasonable at first, but it's half bullshit. I'm not aware of any evidence that "slutty clothing" (by whose standards?) has something to do with the probability of being raped, unless we're talking about some 3rd world garbage country where a significant proportion of people would consider a clothing choice to be morally acceptable grounds to rape. Women's sexual attractiveness to a man is largely independent of the clothing the woman is wearing. And of course most rapes are committed by someone known to the victim. If you want to dispense advice that actually makes a difference, it would be more like "don't associate with people who don't honor your boundaries and the boundaries of others, or people who are criminal losers, whether you know them well or not".

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Wow, so a bunch of guys who believe that every kid should grow up with a gun in their house to learn proper handling and respect of a weapon. Which should reduce accidental shootings, and stolen weapons, cannot be taught to respect women and understand what rape is? So it's up to the women to protect themselves from rape but this is not blaming the victim?

Instead it would all be fine if women were armed even though statistics show a woman is 80times more likely to have a weapon used against than successfully fend off her attacker?

Did I get this right?

circle.jpg

the-jerk-poster-steve-martin.png

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Wow, so a bunch of guys who believe that every kid should grow up with a gun in their house to learn proper handling and respect of a weapon. Which should reduce accidental shootings, and stolen weapons, cannot be taught to respect women and understand what rape is?

Respect is earned not learned.