What is spawn camping

• Shooting people as they spawn

• Shooting people from a spawn point

• Both

Results are only viewable after voting.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
At least back in the Quake days it only meant waiting for people to spawn and shooting them before they could get any decent equipment. i.e. just "Shooting people as they spawn."

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
At least back in the Quake days it only meant waiting for people to spawn and shooting them before they could get any decent equipment. i.e. just "Shooting people as they spawn."
That's always been my take.

Feb 6, 2007
To be fair, it depends on the game. In a game where you respawn, it's waiting in a respawn location and shooting people as they spawn before they have an opportunity to prepare themselves. In a game where you don't respawn (ie Counter-Strike), it's a failure to leave spawn and attempt the objective. But I think the first is more common, so I voted for it.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Far more problems with MP gaming than spawn campers imo.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
To be fair, it depends on the game. In a game where you respawn, it's waiting in a respawn location and shooting people as they spawn before they have an opportunity to prepare themselves. In a game where you don't respawn (ie Counter-Strike), it's a failure to leave spawn and attempt the objective. But I think the first is more common, so I voted for it.
I am referring to COD4.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
I define spawn camping as how you win. All the team play I did in COD4 revolved around trapped the opposing team in the area they spawned in. We used to know exactly where the enemy was spawning based upon our location and where we were spawning. SD was slightly different because you knew the spawns and just lobbed set grenades to get kills at the start of the round.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
I like to think of it two ways.

There is spawm camping that people hate, which is when someone figures out where players spawn, and camps that spot, near-instantly killing enemies when they respawn. Cheap and annoying.

Then there is spawn camping that is legit. If you push back the enemy team to the point where you surround their 'main' spawn and can spam it, then why wouldn't you? You are not hidden in a crack, unseen with a 5 degree field of view on a spawn point, but a player on a team overwhelming another. You are playing to win, don't feel bad about taking that win.

Only a small percentage of the time I got on a team being camped in BF, that I could not break out and nab a flag or 'get out of being spawn killed'.

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003

In the Quake days I thought of spawn killing as when you aim a railgun at a spawn point and insta kill people when they spawn.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Quake Live is one game where I never stand a chance, still seems to be popular.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I don't play CoD online but in some games the person might spawn but be defenseless. In other words they may appear before they can move so sometimes you can kill them and they are dead before they know they spawned on their screen.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
When I frag'em in the main from the antenna on Caspian...thats spawn camping and I love every minute of it.

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
I've only ever heard Spawn Camping as meaning the first. I don't think I've ever heard any name at all for the second - usually things get names because they're unfun but effective......and hanging around your own spawn doesn't really seem like it would do you any good.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
The second usage is from counter-strike. IE camping terrorist spawn with an awp sniping through the double doors in dust2.

thegimp03

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2004
In terms of the COD games, organized teams will spawn "trap" an opposing team...like pushing them back and knowing that they will spawn in a particular area of the map because some team members are hanging out at other spawn points on a map.

I played a ton of Quake 3 back in the day and Quake Live a little bit more recently and spawn camping, at least in a duel sense, would be after you frag someone pointing your railgun to where you think your opponent might spawn next.

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
In BC2 on the Fort Nelson map you can spawn kill the enemy as they are parachuting in:laugh:

Keeper

Mar 9, 2005
LOL Many years ago I can remember playing the vanilla version of BF 1942
I went on a MAD run.... And ALL I could think to myself was "why do these people keep standing up there?'.... I was such a TOOL BAG....

Spawn campers should be banned in some way from the game...
Short term... Like a 10 minute time out..
Just my 2 cents....
Are you really that insecure that you need to build your skilz in that way?

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
"Spawn camping" is the first option "shooting people as they spawn". "Camping" is the second option "shooting from (around) the spawn point"...

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
LOL Many years ago I can remember playing the vanilla version of BF 1942
I went on a MAD run.... And ALL I could think to myself was "why do these people keep standing up there?'.... I was such a TOOL BAG....

Spawn campers should be banned in some way from the game...
Short term... Like a 10 minute time out..
Just my 2 cents....
Are you really that insecure that you need to build your skilz in that way?

Sometimes they get kicked etc, depending on server rules. If the opposing team is puzzled about how to stop a sniper on a tower, then they deserve to get spawn blasted.

gladiatorua

Nov 21, 2011
Spawn camping is PURELY design problem. Devs and map designers are the only ones to blame.
Spawn camping is consistent kill-farming using predictable enemy spawn points.
It's kinda stupid to ignore a method this efficient. It's just not fun for most people.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
In terms of the COD games, organized teams will spawn "trap" an opposing team...like pushing them back and knowing that they will spawn in a particular area of the map because some team members are hanging out at other spawn points on a map.

I played a ton of Quake 3 back in the day and Quake Live a little bit more recently and spawn camping, at least in a duel sense, would be after you frag someone pointing your railgun to where you think your opponent might spawn next.

Yah. These teams are usually awful campers that don't "move out", or teams that are so grossly unbalanced, the better team has no real option but to base camp.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
bb60af_417111.jpg

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
I'll admit, I was recently doing this on MOHWF but my friend told me to stop so being the good Samaritan I'm I did.