Define Spawn Camping

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What is spawn camping

• Shooting people as they spawn

• Shooting people from a spawn point

• Both

Results are only viewable after voting.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Problem I see sometimes when people exploit this, they often wonder why they get bored or why people stop playing with them. When you know someone is not good (don't lie to yourself you CAN tell when someone is not good at the game) and you don't give them a chance at all and play cheap against them, they won't stay and the community loses a potential player. Don't blame the devs because you win through cheap exploitation.

That's my view anyway.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Problem I see sometimes when people exploit this, they often wonder why they get bored or why people stop playing with them. When you know someone is not good (don't lie to yourself you CAN tell when someone is not good at the game) and you don't give them a chance at all and play cheap against them, they won't stay and the community loses a potential player. Don't blame the devs because you win through cheap exploitation.

That's my view anyway.
That's one good way to look at it.
While I'm here, I just got Four DOTA 2 keys to giveaway on Steam, none of my friends play MMO's so If anyone would like a key just let me know.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Yeah this is the reason competitive fighting game players have such fierce competition. You can sometimes find some of the best players online or at an arcade in japan and they will often try to teach you a few combos or how to string things together if you simply ask. I used to play Street Fighter 4 semi-competitive and I'd ask for info when I knew someone was good. Sometimes I couldn't catch on to the frame counting etc, but sometimes their advice helped.

I try to do that for people I meet on any game when I am somewhat experienced and they are not. I don't mind competition and I don't mind losing fair and square. I get no joy out of destroying people as they spawn nor do I enjoy thrashing someone multiple times in a fighting game. I think about how I felt when someone did that to me when I was new or unskilled. Not fun...and I do want people to play with/against so...I try to do what I feel is the right thing.

Some people may say that it's a silly way to view things or that I'm stupid and people who can't play should gtfo, but those are the people I will avoid no matter how good they are.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Did some antenna camping last night and it was glorious. They called me a hacker. I responded with lolz.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I've been spawn camped and have done my own spawn camping over the years. I find that spawn campers fall into three categories:

Getting bored of the game

Enjoy griefing

Afraid of even competition

A combination of the above three.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Did some antenna camping last night and it was glorious. They called me a hacker. I responded with lolz.

Caspian Border?

I've been spawn camped and have done my own spawn camping over the years. I find that spawn campers fall into three categories:

Enjoy griefing

If I was to do such a horrendous and attroucious thing as spawn camp :sneaky: I wouldn't do it for any of these 3 things, I would do it just to have a higher score and felt like I did something and like I was better than everyone else (lol):whiste:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
i've been spawn camped and have done my own spawn camping over the years. I find that spawn campers fall into three categories:

enjoy griefing

afraid of even competition

a combination of the above three.

b-i-n-g-o!

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011

Enjoy griefing

WRONG! The real reason is as follows:

It is fun. And to clarify, I shoot people wherever they are, wether they are in the main or not, unless there are rules against spawn camping then I don't. Its fun to snipe from way up on the tower, plain and simple.

I am not bored of the game.

I don't.....hold on. I just realized something. I enjoy griefing! HAHA thats it! LOL!

Don't matter anyway. I'll PWN ya from high or low, your pick.

And yes, its Caspian. My other favorite spot is right on the "Hilltop". You can smack them down in all directions from there, including taking down snipers from the tower easy.

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
4th reason...people don't have real skill and have to exploit their way to victory.

It's easy enough to drop out of a game when someone plays in a way that ruins your enjoyment anyway and just as easy to ignore them or put them on your list of people to avoid. No words need be said.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
4th reason...people don't have real skill and have to exploit their way to victory.

It's easy enough to drop out of a game when someone plays in a way that ruins your enjoyment anyway and just as easy to ignore them or put them on your list of people to avoid. No words need be said.

This isn't true and i'll tell you why. If you don't suck, you will be able to get a good kill/death ratio no matter what the hell is going on. You can be on a crappy team getting hammered. You can be pinned to your main base. That is no excuse to suck. That is no excuse to not kill people outside your main who are shooting at you. The way I see it is if the entire opp team is concentrated in one spot outside your main, that makes for a nice target rich area from which to extract a good k/d ratio.