Dear people that use PS3 controllers:

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
I went to the Motionjoy forums to see if there had been any updates or improvements, and all the posts are spam (and russian spam).
LOL, what a joke.

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
You can get a $5 bluetooth dongle to get the ps3 wireless to work, but that's not the point.

Listen to this guy. I had both, tried both. MotioninJoy NEEDS internet connection to even work. Without it your PS3 controller is a piece of junk for computer games. The support is VERY lacking and the joke of an "offline mode" has NO analog control. No thumbsticks, no rumble. The last straw for me was when motioninJoy's WEBSITE went down for 2 days and I couldn't play anything using my controller for that time.

Get the xbox 360 controller and some rechargeable batteries. You will not regret it. The support is superior... and I don't even have a xbox360. Use the ps3 controller for ps3.

Edit: Impossible to remove motioninJoy's drivers. It interferes with a lot of stuff, including other gaming controllers and my logitech mouse driver.
Not true. It does have a Local only mode. Though for awhile, I didn't know this myself, and had the web page stored locally which worked fine as well.

Not sure whether or not I got lucky, but I haven't had any sort of issues getting motioninjoy configured and playing nicely with my emulators, racing games and such. The biggest nuisance is the fact that unplugging the controller starts up the PS3 all the way in the living room.

I will say that the software is rather undeveloped, though as I loathe the x360 controller layout myself, I find it the best option for myself.

pciebiera

Feb 10, 2013
Not true. It does have a Local only mode. Though for awhile, I didn't know this myself, and had the web page stored locally which worked fine as well.

Not sure whether or not I got lucky, but I haven't had any sort of issues getting motioninjoy configured and playing nicely with my emulators, racing games and such. The biggest nuisance is the fact that unplugging the controller starts up the PS3 all the way in the living room.

I will say that the software is rather undeveloped, though as I loathe the x360 controller layout myself, I find it the best option for myself.

If unplugging the PS3 controller from USB causes your PS3 to start up, chances are it's still paired to your PS3. If you don't use bluetooth for the controller on the PC, you can click the disconnect button before unplugging the controller from USB. This will prevent the controller from connecting to its paired bluetooth master, in your case, the PS3.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
I'm actually really surprised that after all this time no one has made anything better than that POS software. The PS3 has been out for 6+ years now.

Maybe because there are already better alternatives around like the XBOX controller or Logitech's own brand of controls which work with both Xinput and DirectX and come in both wired and wireless versions with rumble features, etc all in the same PS controller design format.

Sink41

Sep 7, 2007
Motion in joy worked fine for me until my internet went down, offline mode simply brought up a broken webpage and i had no way to go online to fix it. Couldn't get the controller to connect through bluetooth, it did work while connected through usb but like others have said no analogue.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
The only thing the new 360 pad did was to allow you to optionally raise it up a tad so your thumb won't be damaged when playing hard core fighters because of the stupid plastic rim they decided to put around it. The d-pad itself remains incredibly stiff, making diagonals in particular a chore to execute in a pinch.

If you don't want the truth laid out about the X360 controller, people need to stop bringing it up to begin with in a DS3 thread and there'd be nothing to discuss.

The truth is the pad isn't that bad. You can't perform diagonals with it very good? Sounds like an execution error to me. You also talk about "serious" gamers. Now the only type of games I can think of that require such precision execution are fighting games and a "serious" fighting game player would buy an arcade stick. Also, I don't know what plastic rim you're talking about them lowering. I have an original wired 360 controller from a launch Xbox360 and a new controller from a Slim model. The pads are identical. There was a controller released that allowed you to rotate the pad to lower the plastic in the diagonal and it functioned more like the "buttons" of a PS pad.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Motionjoy should be rated as a virus or malware. Like others mentioned, it's difficult to uninstall and completely remove. I had all kinds of problems trying to uninstall the drivers after I bought the wired Xbox360 controller. Motionjoy caused my PC to lockup during games that required the rumble after I switched to the Xbox controller because the drivers kept reinstalling itself even after I unstalled and removed it. Motionjoy is not worth the hassle.

pciebiera

Feb 10, 2013
Motion in joy worked fine for me until my internet went down, offline mode simply brought up a broken webpage and i had no way to go online to fix it. Couldn't get the controller to connect through bluetooth, it did work while connected through usb but like others have said no analogue.

The tool I made is fully offline, and supports all analog controls, regardless of USB or bluetooth. It also supports tilt and analog button presses (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square, DPad, L1, R1, L2, R2) assuming you connect them to analog accepting mappings. Like the analog of the XInput's triggers map to DS3's L2 and R2 perfectly. Maybe you should give it a try. http://betterds3.ciebiera.net

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The tool I made is fully offline, and supports all analog controls, regardless of USB or bluetooth. It also supports tilt and analog button presses (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square, DPad, L1, R1, L2, R2) assuming you connect them to analog accepting mappings. Like the analog of the XInput's triggers map to DS3's L2 and R2 perfectly. Maybe you should give it a try. http://betterds3.ciebiera.net

It isn't an issue so much of the fact that offline works with your tool, it is the fact that the motionjoy drivers are still needed at all since as has been said numerous times that they completely override the bluetooth stack and do not properly uninstall (leaving said bluetooth stack in place and preventing all other bluetooth devices from working until you either wipe the computer and re-install or if you are lucky still have a restore point that you can restore back to (and then try and figure out all the other things that now need to be re-installed since rolling back to the restore point)).

Last edited:

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
$5 to make an XBox controller work natively without hassle in windows?

Orrrr this. :hmm:

Since I have two PS3 controllers and zero XBOX controllers, the cost is quite different for me. It's not astronomical, but if I can make what I already have work, then I would like to. I also already have a USB BT receiver.

I don't use BT for anything on my gaming PC. Does that make the BT stack issue moot?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Motionjoy should be rated as a virus or malware. Like others mentioned, it's difficult to uninstall and completely remove. I had all kinds of problems trying to uninstall the drivers after I bought the wired Xbox360 controller. Motionjoy caused my PC to lockup during games that required the rumble after I switched to the Xbox controller because the drivers kept reinstalling itself even after I unstalled and removed it. Motionjoy is not worth the hassle.

This. It's worse than Realplayer. At least you can "easily" uninstall Realplayer.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Since I have two PS3 controllers and zero XBOX controllers, the cost is quite different for me. It's not astronomical, but if I can make what I already have work, then I would like to. I also already have a USB BT receiver.

I don't use BT for anything on my gaming PC. Does that make the BT stack issue moot?

I apologize for your (misguided?) choices in life. :)

I kid.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001

Exactly the problem I had. Eventually I had to registry dive to remove keys as well as manually remove a whole bunch of things. The drivers conflict with all your game controller drivers and fucks everything up even if you "uninstalled" this pos.

Got a xbox360 controller, never bother with this piece of shit again.

And nobody develops for the ps3 controller on the PC because of SONY refuses to release drivers for the controller so its all 3rd party hacks that don't work particularly well, especially with the analog and vibrations.

Get xbox 360 controller, problem solved. The $50 you spend on 2 controllers is more than worth the amount of grief and hassel you'll have with this malware.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
I used Motionjoy for a good long while because I play FFXI and only had a PS3. Then I started having a rash of BSODs that I eventually traced back to Motionjoy. Wiped and Reinstalled and bought a wired 360 pad. Much happier now.

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
If I have time this weekend, I'll try Motionjoy and pciebiera's solution. I plan to do a format reload in the near future, so this will give me a chance to try it out with little risk.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
I can't fathom why anyone would use that piece of junk on the PC. The xbox 360 controller is so, so much more comfortable.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I can't fathom why anyone would use that piece of junk on the PC. The xbox 360 controller is so, so much more comfortable.

I know, right? Apparently there are some people who actually think Sony's outdated controller design is superior to Xbox's. D: