Dear people that use PS3 controllers:

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Barfo, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Barfo

Barfo Lifer

How do they work on the PC?
    I just need a Bluetooth dongle right? how's the software, every button/stick mapped correctly? force feedback supported?

Thanks.

2. soccerballtux

I never could get mine to work in games.

3. Gothgar

Gothgar Lifer

http://www.motioninjoy.com/download

Only thing is, you have to restart windows and start in the mode where you can install any drivers. Trust me, it wont work, even if you say you trust it.

Then, its just plug and play with the USB cable.

4. Gothgar

Gothgar Lifer

Further, you can get it to work as a 360 controller for games that only support a 360 via the same tool, which was handy for Super meat boy.

5. El Guaraguao

El Guaraguao Diamond Member

No issues here. bought a usb bluetooth receiver and connected my ps3 to my laptop running win 7 64 bit. I have yet to have any issues with my games not finding my controller. I play from emulators (winkawaks, zsnes, dolphin) to regular pc games (mainly console ports) street fighter iv and sonic.

6. Barfo

Barfo Lifer

7. jacktesterson

jacktesterson Diamond Member

Xbox 360 controller works MUCH better

8. Soundmanred

Soundmanred Lifer

I would HIGHLY recommend not using Motionjoy. It's a crap piece of software. While you can get it to work and it works fine (most of the time), it borks your BT stack among other things.
    I thought it was great when using it, but found out how crappy it was when I tried to get rid of it after having BT problems.
    Had to do a system restore, it just didn't want to be completely uninstalled.
    I suggest getting an X360 controller and dongle.

9. RPD

RPD Diamond Member

What is a BT stack?

10. Soundmanred

Soundmanred Lifer

Bluetooth Stack

11. RavenSEAL

RavenSEAL Diamond Member

Wait for it....

Wait for it....

Yes it does. :thumbsup:

12. PowerYoga

PowerYoga Diamond Member

You can get a $5 bluetooth dongle to get the ps3 wireless to work, but that's not the point.

Listen to this guy. I had both, tried both. MotioninJoy NEEDS internet connection to even work. Without it your PS3 controller is a piece of junk for computer games. The support is VERY lacking and the joke of an "offline mode" has NO analog control. No thumbsticks, no rumble. The last straw for me was when motioninJoy's WEBSITE went down for 2 days and I couldn't play anything using my controller for that time.

Get the xbox 360 controller and some rechargeable batteries. You will not regret it. The support is superior... and I don't even have a xbox360. Use the ps3 controller for ps3.

Edit: Impossible to remove motioninJoy's drivers. It interferes with a lot of stuff, including other gaming controllers and my logitech mouse driver.

13. Renob

Renob Diamond Member

never was happy with my ps3 controller on my PC got a Xbox controller and it works awesome...

14. Barfo

Barfo Lifer

Already use an Xbox 360 pad for most games, and a PS2 pad with USB adapter for emulators and Street Fighter, cause of the superior digital pad. I was looking to replace the PS2 with PS3 but it seems like it's not worth the hassle.

15. Dankk

Dankk Diamond Member

Dude... wut?

o_O

16. PowerYoga

PowerYoga Diamond Member

turn off your interwebs and see if your motion in joy works. It's a common problem. You might have basic functionality but you lose the analog sticks and vibration (if anything even used it) if you find a version that has offline mode enabled. The motioninjoy site/server had an outage back in october and I couldn't play anything using the controller.

17. Dankk

Dankk Diamond Member

I'm just saying, that's ridiculous that Motionjoy requires an internet connection in order to work properly. It's just a simple utility that allows you to use a Playstation gamepad on PC, isn't it?

I thought always-online video game DRM was bad, but wow, this is a whole new level of derp.

18. RPD

RPD Diamond Member

Eh works for all my needs.. haven't tried to uninstall anything yet.. Guess I will never try to!

But it's not like I have any other devices attempting to use Blue Tooth. I just use the USB cable it came with to connect.

19. Clinkster

Clinkster Senior member

I started using one for Sonic Generations and BF3 jets. Big fan.

20. zinfamous

zinfamous No Lifer

beware, beware, beware of this piece of junk software.

21. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

I have two wired Xbox 360 controllers I've used for some 3 player local Trine co-op. A lot of ports seem to support it by default, so I would go that way honestly (I did try to get a friend's PS3 controller working but had no luck).

22. PowerYoga

PowerYoga Diamond Member

yeah it really is. I saw it as DRM and when I realized it I installed that piece of shit immediately... or tried to. Think there's still residual crap inside my computer because I see the driver all the time.

23. zinfamous

zinfamous No Lifer

yes, I can't get it out. it has embedded several layers of drivers all throughout the registry, and it can not be extracted.

the developer is, pure and simple--a complete asswipe. Trying to read his troubleshooting forum and the way he responds to people's issues is a lesson in what not to do as a an indy developer. Or well, how to interact with people.

24. badb0y

badb0y Diamond Member

I use MotionJoy too but I agree with everyone else if your going to buy a controller anyways might as well get the Xbox 360 controller.

25. -Slacker-

-Slacker- Golden Member

If it doesn't work you can always use an input emulation software like xpadder. Then it's guaranteed to work, but the analog stick you use for camera padding probably won't be as smooth without a lot of tweaking.