TanasenB

Jun 24, 2017
Hello, I'm building a pc from old parts. I have found a PentiumD 820 which I don't know if it works, have some sticks of ddr2 (2x2gb and 2x1gb, also a 512mb), bought the other day a used m/b Asus P5KPL-VM (the seller told me it was from a working system) and for psu I have an Antec BP430 and a Corsair Vengeance V400 (just for testing from my main pc). My gpu's are a gtx750 (which I removed last week from my main pc after purchasing a 1050ti) and for pci an old but still functioning Diamond S3.
So, to the point: When powering on, no sound comes out of the speaker. The cpu and gpu fans spin and the motherboard's green bulb lights up. This can't be a power issue cause I have to hold the power button in order to shut down. I tested with both psu's. Used all 3 display options with a vga cable (vga to onboard, pcie with the 750, pci with the s3), no display signal in all cases. The monitor works with any other computer. Switched all ram modules with each dimm one by one. Nothing happened. Cleared CMOS removing the battery for 10 minutes, also nothing changed (haven't changed the battery though). Removed the cpu-fan and made sure it was placed properly, of cource I've placed thermal paste on the cpu - again no display.

I'm pissed cause this is the third motherboard I try. The first one (an MSI) was obvious it had a problem cause when I powered it on the speaker made a continuous beep sound. The second one (asus p5vd2-mx) did post and stuck in loading bios and then shut down, but after some further testing it stopped posting anything and made a horrible coil whine, so I guess it died.
All I'm trying to say is that I can't be sure if the cpu actually works.
Any suggestions? I'm considering buying another lga775 cpu and test if the board works. If not then I guess I have to buy another board.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Clearing cmos setting are best done with the clear cmos jumper.

What is you RAM configuration?

But really this isn't horribly uncommon with old hardware being sold. Either people have stored them in terrible conditions, or they outright lie about their operation.

Where are you finding these boards?

Last edited:

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
It's funny that you have three video cards and no display. Something's ironic somewhere.

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
"but after some further testing it stopped posting anything and made a horrible coil whine, so I guess it died."

and took the CPU with it..

hoorah

Dec 8, 2005
Its been years since I've messed with pentium D stuff, but if I recall correctly there were some serious step changes in compatibility despite all of the boards being 'socket 775' and being compatible with the pentium 4/D. The dual core pentium Ds required a lot more power and the board had to have the VRMs to support it, so even if the chipset on the board technically supported dual core pentium Ds, the board might not. Also, there was another step change in compatibility for the pentium D 9xx, but you shouldn't have that issue.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
This is why I build PCs out of all new parts. (OK, maybe a factory-refurb SSD makes it in there occasionally - but I list that as a refurb if I'm selling it.)

Messing with old used parts (unless I was the original owner, and can vouch for the care of the part), just isn't worth it, the vast majority of the time.

(OTOH, I buy lots of factory refurb'ed networking gear, like Asus routers, because they are generally fine, and you can save a good amount of $$$ there.)

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
This is why I build PCs out of all new parts. (OK, maybe a factory-refurb SSD makes it in there occasionally - but I list that as a refurb if I'm selling it.)

Messing with old used parts (unless I was the original owner, and can vouch for the care of the part), just isn't worth it, the vast majority of the time.
So old cpu's aren't worth it? I remembered people were saying in the general forum that cpus are really hard to break.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Used CPUs are fine, generally, although, if they've been overclocked, you never really know how much that they've been
"abused", so there's that. Then there's the issue of used motherboards. Unless they've only been used 1 year or less, I'd probably pass.