Days Gone

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Coming soon finally. I know many of us have had enough of zombies but it looks to be a very hot PS4 exclusive. Gonna wait for reviews before I put money down buy from what I have seen it looks like a lot of fun.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
It looks like it has gotten some graphical downgrades and each trailer seems less impressive than the last. I was really hyped for this game based on the E3 2016 presentation but now I'm not getting my hopes up too high based on everything since. Hopefully Bend surprises me.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
It looks like it has gotten some graphical downgrades and each trailer seems less impressive than the last. I was really hyped for this game based on the E3 2016 presentation but now I'm not getting my hopes up too high based on everything since. Hopefully Bend surprises me.

Well that happens with every game these days so I’m ok with that. I just wanna know how the combat and survival aspect is. A lot of these games can be very repetitive.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
All the previews I've read or seen say they were actually surprised that they wanted to play it more and it's more story driven than they initially thought.

Unfortunately my gaming backlog is huge since I couldn't play for months so until later this year I'll just be catching up. I got Red Dead Redemption 2 on release day and barely finished it last month and I only ever play one game at a time.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Yea everyone dolls up teaser trailers for big reveals, especially for E3, so if it looks less shiny but is a blast to play I'd be ok with that too.

Really need to get my butt in gear and finish the last bit of God of War before jumping into another exclusive but this one has been on my radar; I'm always game for solid exclusives.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I am getting it, already ordered it on best buy's site for pickup but I do have plans with my girlfriend that weekend so I may not get to it until later. I've been playing Sekiro a lot lately.

From what I've seen, I was actually sick of seeing videos and gameplay for this game everywhere online. I remember the E3 demo and then a bunch other videos and gameplay videos throughout the year or two.

I actually lost interest in the game because they kept showing all these release and gameplay videos but the game itself was very far away from release. So to me that was pointless, showcasing so much about it as to not make people forget about it. Or they really wanted us to think it's so good.

But now that it's closer to release I'll pick it up and try it out. I just think it's going to get boring quickly if every time you are being chased by a giant mob of zombies. It was cool to see in the gameplay portion of the beginning that they showcased, but if that happens all the time I think it would get old and tedious.

I do hope you are free to use the environment to your advantage like they have been saying. I bet it will have a ton of fetch quests. But I will be optimistic that it's open world and you have a fast way to travel to and from. If the story is really good, it could be a great game. I liked dying light but that story was kind of crap.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I love open world games and pre-ordered it last week. I heard they won't release official reviews until the day before.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I love open world games and pre-ordered it last week. I heard they won't release official reviews until the day before.

I’m ok with that. It’s when they release reviews after launch that I don’t like.

Hoping it’s a good game.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I don't really go by reviews anymore. I'll watch ACG do a review for games if he chooses to. Other than that if I think I'll enjoy it I buy it. 9 times out of 10 I never finish the games anyway. I don't really have that much time to play anyway but I still enjoy it. Some reviews are super picky and others are biased.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I don't really go by reviews anymore. I'll watch ACG do a review for games if he chooses to. Other than that if I think I'll enjoy it I buy it. 9 times out of 10 I never finish the games anyway. I don't really have that much time to play anyway but I still enjoy it. Some reviews are super picky and others are biased.

I’ve become more picky about my gaming so I use them as a general barometer. Especially the user reviews.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I’ve become more picky about my gaming so I use them as a general barometer. Especially the user reviews.
I actually prefer the user reviews more to get a feel of the game. No one is being paid to talk about it which can be a good thing depending on how you look at it. I'll usually scour Reddit after a game comes out to see what people think. I'm glad I did that for a few months for Anthem. I'm also glad I never bought it either because it's still a mess.

Bioware recently posted Dev job openings to fill positions for loot designers and programmers. That game isn't getting fixed up properly anytime soon.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
First review up. ACG says wait for a sale. I think I'll still enjoy it since I've been waiting for a while and I like story based zombie games. He mentions for a Sony title it doesn't have the polish it should and he mentions the pop in of textures. He also harps on a few other technical issues which I think can be fixed but those may not be big deal to some.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
First review up. ACG says wait for a sale. I think I'll still enjoy it since I've been waiting for a while and I like story based zombie games. He mentions for a Sony title it doesn't have the polish it should and he mentions the pop in of textures. He also harps on a few other technical issues which I think can be fixed but those may not be big deal to some.

Eh...well waiting for a sale may also mean patches for some of the issues.

Meta score currently 72 which is not that great.

IGN has this to say...
There’s a good game in here somewhere, but it’s buried in a meandering storyline, repetitive missions, and just too much obligatory stuff to do without an eye on the smaller details that could have given it much more character

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012

IGN has this to say...
It's had 3-4 patches up until now. With 1.04 being a patch to fix bugs as well. Surprisingly, he didn't really go into depth on what technical issues were there besides the pop in of textures.

He mentions the voice acting could have been better(the way characters deliver lines) but I don't see that as a technical issue, more so a game design issue which to say the least is embarrassing for a game that has been worked on for 6 years.

I'll pick it up tomorrow and hopefully get to play it. It looks like it would be fun regardless. For me the only drawback to a game like this is a bad story.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
My copy arrives tomorrow. Can't wait. Looks good so far even with bugs and early reviews not picking at stuff. I love open world games and on a motorcycle to boot!

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
My copy arrives tomorrow. Can't wait. Looks good so far even with bugs and early reviews not picking at stuff. I love open world games and on a motorcycle to boot!
I don't know if you played dying light but that game was also low on reviews when it came out. My roommate played the crap out of that game and he really enjoyed it. I also liked it but the story sucked so I never finished it. I enjoyed watching him finish it and play the expansion as well.

I think last of us has spoiled zombie games for most people. Also, had days gone come out before red dead 2, it probably would have gotten higher scores too.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

IGN has this to say...

Kind of what I was expecting after the game looked so drab in every preview since the amazing E3 2016 reveal. One thing that really stuck out in that IGN review was how nice the lighting and other graphics looked in cutscenes and then how pared down it seemed when they got back into actual gameplay. This was one game where the graphics really mattered to me after seeing how beautifully they rendered the forests and mountains of Oregon in the E3 2016 reveal. Like light shafts going through tall trees when riding your motorcycle through a forest road. I wish they would have pushed this back to PS5 if they were going to have to cut all the graphics down so drastically from what we saw three years ago.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012

IGN has this to say...
I don't really trust IGN much anymore. They vary so much depending on the type of game they are reviewing. They gave alien isolation a low score and I enjoyed it so much. They gave mortal Kombat a 9 and it's a fighting game. Also, didn't they complain about "another white male lead character" a while back? I think a metacritic score of 70 and above means overall good.

I'm more interested in the user reviews though. As for the graphics everyone has been saying they are great. I will find out for myself tomorrow but I have no idea if they were downgraded or not because I got sick about hearing about this game and it's videos during E3 previews so I didn't pay much attention to it.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I don't really trust IGN much anymore. They vary so much depending on the type of game they are reviewing. They gave alien isolation a low score and I enjoyed it so much. They gave mortal Kombat a 9 and it's a fighting game. Also, didn't they complain about "another white male lead character" a while back? I think a metacritic score of 70 and above means overall good.

I'm more interested in the user reviews though. As for the graphics everyone has been saying they are great. I will find out for myself tomorrow but I have no idea if they were downgraded or not because I got sick about hearing about this game and it's videos during E3 previews so I didn't pay much attention to it.

It depends on the reviewer. IGN is better than many sites in being objective over the years. Also Mortal Kombat is a very good fighting game at its core so the 9 is a worthy number IMO.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I dunno, if it depends on the reviewer, then it's possible for a game to get a lower score for example if the person that reviewed it isn't into that type of genre game. Big review companies do it for money too. So get a review out there quick for revenue.

I think it's funny that they call an open world game repetitive and mundane when even if mortal Kombat is a good fighting game, it's not much different than the last one so why wouldn't that one fall into the same category?

Like you said it all depends on who reviewed it. If the person reviewing it is a fan or likes that type of game, expect it to get a decent score.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I dunno, if it depends on the reviewer, then it's possible for a game to get a lower score for example if the person that reviewed it isn't into that type of genre game. Big review companies do it for money too. So get a review out there quick for revenue.

I think it's funny that they call an open world game repetitive and mundane when even if mortal Kombat is a good fighting game, it's not much different than the last one so why wouldn't that one fall into the same category?

Like you said it all depends on who reviewed it. If the person reviewing it is a fan or likes that type of game, expect it to get a decent score.

Cause nobody likes fetch quests and doing stuff for zero meaning in an open world game. It just makes the game tedious to play. Take Witcher 3, even the most minor quest from the most minor of characters was done very well and added a little bit to the lore of the world. Or added a side story that was well written and felt like it meant something. That’s what I think every open world game should strive for.

I think most times, games are compared to others in their genre. How does this compare to other open world titles and other action titles involving zombies etc. Comparing Mortal Kombat to other fighters quickly shows that MK is a quality title(although it’s not hard to be better than Street Fighter 5). I don’t know how this title would fair when compared to RDR2 for example.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Cause nobody likes fetch quests and doing stuff for zero meaning in an open world game. It just makes the game tedious to play. Take Witcher 3, even the most minor quest from the most minor of characters was done very well and added a little bit to the lore of the world. Or added a side story that was well written and felt like it meant something. That’s what I think every open world game should strive for.

I think most times, games are compared to others in their genre. How does this compare to other open world titles and other action titles involving zombies etc. Comparing Mortal Kombat to other fighters quickly shows that MK is a quality title(although it’s not hard to be better than Street Fighter 5). I don’t know how this title would fair when compared to RDR2 for example.
The Witcher 3 was great. I still have to go back on over and hope my saves still work so I can finish it. I fully agree, that's how they should be if they are open world games. The difference is the Witcher 3 was done by a smaller company and everything was hand crafted whereas with days gone we are relying on engine generated algorithms that relay what will happen in the world at points in time which I guess makes it hard to create decent quests and side missions that aren't similar to each other.

It can definitely be done but takes time and it seems like they had the time yet we all know game development now a days has changed a lot. Preview something and market it for hype then release and make some profit if possible. I started being skeptical when they kept saying the world is coming for you, etc in each of their preview commercials.

I can tell you now that it won't compare much to red dead, at least not in the sense of the quality and details put into the world of RDR2. I think it will still be a good game and may have even scored better had it released before red dead. But there are a lot of people that don't like red dead either, or just aren't drawn to it's playstyle. Everytime I play RDR2 I find something new that makes me go, oh that's neat I didn't notice that before.

Best buy sent an email saying it's ready for pickup tomorrow but I'm also seeing avengers with some friends so hopefully I'll get a chance to check it out and write my thoughts on it.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Comparing review scores of a 1v1 fighter to an open world zombie game is just stupid. The only thing they have in common is that they are video games.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Anyone have some additional input? I kind of want to try the game since I need another exclusive and it seems like most people are enjoying it.

Also, the main character is a biker and this is 2019... so those critics over-scrutinizing character development and narrative elements are kind of wasting their time if you ask me.