David Schor: Intel 10nm in big problems

Discussion in 'CPUs and Overclocking' started by witeken, Apr 22, 2018.

1. witeken

witeken Diamond Member

David Schor from WikiChip:
    Charlie also says:
    https://twitter.com/david_schor/status/988107149036478464

A couple days ago, Ashraf also posted this story: https://twitter.com/TMFChipFool/status/987286420132958208

Lastly, former Principal Engineer Francois Piednoel has also weighed in (he says the problem will be fixed "shortly"): https://twitter.com/FPiednoel/with_replies

For the record, this is what Mark Bohr said in May last year.
    I really have no idea at all how Intel screwed up this badly. I am completely baffled. The phrase "10nm is broken" isn't an overstatement.

#1 witeken, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads - David Schor Intel Forum Date
    [SemiAccurate] Contra-revenue comes back in a big way at Intel CPUs and Overclocking May 10, 2018
    David Kanter on Intel's 10 nm plans CPUs and Overclocking Apr 22, 2015
    David Kanter: AMD's ARM core will be 10% faster than their x86 one, ditch Bulldozer CPUs and Overclocking Aug 17, 2014
    David Kanter on the Haswell SOC CPUs and Overclocking May 2, 2013
    David Kanter dissects Haswell CPUs and Overclocking Nov 14, 2012

3. FIVR

FIVR Diamond Member

Is it still 4/20? Why is Ashraf saying these things?

4. Mockingbird

Mockingbird Senior member

So, at this point, who is doing worse?

Intel or GlobalFoundries?

Should we expect mass availability of Intel's 10nm and of GloFo's 7nm next year?

5. krumme

krumme Diamond Member

Intel is dwarfed by Samsung today. Samsung q4 17 investement equaled the rest of the entire industry.

They can keep saying this is delay. Nm is marketing numbers whatnot. That 10nm is so superior when it comes. Blahh

At the end of the day Intel need to give investors less and use far more on process. Double digit billions extra per year is needed to stay a fab house. Get a business model that supports it or be gone in 20 years. Or use a model like eg amd where basic research is done outside.

This is NOT solved by an engineering fix. Far from. Its not 10nm process problems.

Yuriman likes this.
  6. goldstone77

goldstone77 Senior member

Once slight correction, but overall good post!
    There are three distinct problems with #Intel 10nm process that I know of. I am willing to bet there are many more. Of the three only one has a solution that I am aware of, and that was the easy one.

7. raghu78

raghu78 Diamond Member

Francois Piednol referencing the Core 2 Duo days is so out of context and shows how badly he needs a reality check. In those days Intel was anywhere from 18-24 months ahead on process node. The first 65nm Intel CPU (Core Solo and Core Duo Yonah) came out in Jan 2006 . For comparison 8800GT the first 65nm Nvidia GPU came out in late Oct 2007. Thats around 21 months.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_8_series#8800_GT

Intel has no process time to market lead as TSMC N7 is in volume production and Intel 10nm is nowhere to be seen and will not be till atleast late 2018 or early 2019. Intel's dominance in x86 is linked directly to their process lead. They do develop very good microarchitectures but its the process which keeps them firmly ahead. That is valid even today with CFL on 14++ vs Zen + on 12LP. With Intel's process lead gone I think it will be difficult for Intel to run away from AMD or vice versa. I think Intel will have to vastly improve execution to not fall behind TSMC further. IMO both these x86 vendors will compete aggressively and the winner is the consumer.

#6 raghu78, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  8. IntelUser2000

IntelUser2000 Elite Member

It can be argued Netburst problems were due to process too. Back then they believed process gains will continue and 10GHz processors would have been no problem. The Pentium 4 era was when voltage scaling stopped, meaning a huge portion of power reductions moving to a new process were suddenly gone.

0.13u was when the voltage scaling stopped, at 1.4V. That's pretty much where we are at today with our 14nm processors. Imagine if it never stopped though. 1.1V at 90nm, 0.8V at 65nm, 0.55V at 45nm.

The "demands" that Intel can their fabs and move to TSMC is at the moment, not based on reality. Coffeelake reaching 5GHz is very likely a result due to years of optimizing their process for the highest performance. What they need is realizing as a company process gains are going to be smaller than ever and designing around that reality.

goldstone77 and raghu78 like this.
  9. Kenmitch

Kenmitch Diamond Member

I guess you meant 2006.

lightmanek and raghu78 like this.
  10. raghu78

raghu78 Diamond Member

Yeah.

11. JDG1980

JDG1980 Golden Member

Francois Piednoel is wrong about Conroe. It wasn't a secret project that came out of nowhere; it was an evolution of the Pentium M, which was already a superior design to Netburst, but had been previously relegated to laptops for internal political reasons. Back in May 2005, over a full year before Conroe's release, Tom's Hardware ran an article about how the Pentium M could compete with AMD's best chips, including a concluding paragraph about how Intel's upcoming Conroe design would be based on it. This flatly contradicts Piednoel's claim that the press (and even Intel management!) had no idea about Conroe until just before it came out.

12. NostaSeronx

NostaSeronx Golden Member

Use NIL and 3D-IC use 10nm process twice, call it 7nm. End of credits. (tip: use 14nm twice to get 10nm)

What I got from Intel^. (Intel is cutting its relationship with ASML for Canon Nanotechnologies, Inc.)

#11 NostaSeronx, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  13. Dolan

Dolan Junior Member

Witeken is just troling. Even if they fires him today, he will keep loving them...

Just look at link in his description: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/apple-a10-geekbench-4-score.2485468/page-4#post-38464277

It was 2016, he already knew how Intel screwed with 14nm (paperlaunch in 2014 with no silicon available, limited availability in 2015 and first bigger silicon in 2016). And he still blindly believed his favorite while trashing others.

How it is now different?

If i can bet: it is kind of "guerrilla marketing". After earnings he will come with something like "based on BK statements 10nm is even better than expected".

We do not allow personal attacks here,
    or using terms like "trolling or fanboy".

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/anandtech-forum-guidelines.60552/

AT Mod Usandthem

#12 Dolan, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2018
  14. Atari2600

Atari2600 Senior member

Arrogant and full of redacted.

[Cast your mind back 12 months - how good were his predictions of how far short Zen would fall?]

There is a ZERO tolerance policy of no profanity in the tech sub-forums.
    You can't seem to grasp this concept as you have done it 3 times before.
    Perhaps some time off will help you think about it.

Iron Woode
    Super Moderator

#13 Atari2600, Apr 23, 2018
    raghu78 likes this.
  15. raghu78

raghu78 Diamond Member

You are spot on. Well said. Francois exemplifies what is wrong about Intel. Arrogant and disllusioned about Intel's superiority over foundries in process tech (which is now proven false as TSMC N7 is in volume production while Intel 10nm is nowhere close to) and over AMD in architecture (given the fact that AMD have caught up to Broadwell in terms of IPC and only clocks are saving Intel which will get rectified with 7nm Ryzen). I think Zen 2 vs Icelake will prove the point that Intel has no superiority whatsover in process or architecture.

#14 raghu78, Apr 23, 2018
    DarthKyrie likes this.
  16. ksec

ksec Senior member

Interesting, it was only a few days ago I had this thought. I had wanted to post a thread here right before WWDC, just to give it one month time before confirming.

7nm from TSMC is basically clock work because of iPhone. Following the pattern iPad Pro A11x, will be used as 7nm pipe cleaner. WWDC is in a little more then a month time, and yet Intel still hasn't shipped a single 10nm product.

So in a few months time, TSMC will officially pass Intel in leading node HVM. We are talking about TSMC 7nm being roughly similar to Intel 10nm. With some pros and cons on both side depending on application. But TSMC will have it first in high volume.

Funny how Ashraf Eassa left the blind side of Intel.

Just wanted to point out about Core2Duo. That was the era when Intel was still king, its competitor was only AMD, it had the best engineers on the planet, they had the volume, revenue and profits to make those investments, both in IPC and leading node, and successfully turn around, not to mention AMD's misstep after Athon 64.

The guy that knew they were going to hit a power wall with Netburst? He was properly the best guy to lead Intel, somehow now CEO of VMware. Best talents of engineers? Many are now in Qualcomm and Apple. Its competitors? AMD rely on their CPU and GPU to compete against Intel, giving price pressure in all x86 segments, Samsung, Qualcomm and Apple both have their near monopoly profits generator to compete with Intel, and are much better equipped. TSMC has the volume and profits that now exceed Intel.

I am not sure if Intel 10nm will reach HVM this year or not, what I do know is nothing on the Roadmap and leaked info suggest we have any decent 10mn chip coming this year.

DarthKyrie, lightmanek and raghu78 like this.
  17. raghu78

raghu78 Diamond Member

Yes. Core architecture is the successor to the Pentium M architecture but it still derived a lot of its low power DNA from Pentium M.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_M

Successor to Pentium M is the Core architecture.

18. Eug

Eug Lifer

As just a simple end user: Like I've mentioned before, I'm just glad I bought Kaby Lake Y (with its media improvements in the iGPU) instead of trying to wait for Cannon Lake Y.

However, my original plan several years ago was to wait until 2016 to purchase a 10 nm laptop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lightmanek likes this.
  19. Hi-Fi Man

Hi-Fi Man Senior member

This was bound to happen, with all the money being injected into TSMC's and Samsung's fabs from Apple and others.

Intel should have opened their fabs to Apple, Qualcomm, and others ages ago. I honestly think if they had done so they wouldn't be in this situation right now because let's be honest, the writing has been on the wall for about a decade now. Intel's arrogance has cost them dearly but we'll see what happens.

Does anybody have any data on how TSMC's 10nm and 7nm compare to Intel's 14++nm and 10nm? These marketing terms really make things annoying.

CHADBOGA likes this.
  20. scannall

scannall Golden Member

The first shot to the foot was turning down Apple for the iPhone SOC. Kinda went downhill from there.

DarthKyrie and Drazick like this.
  21. IntelUser2000

IntelUser2000 Elite Member

Intel back then weren't ideal for Apple and Qualcomm either. Their process focused on the aspect which propped up their processors, like high transistor performance necessary for clock speeds.

Even they themselves admitted their 22nm process was only 30% denser than 28nm from TSMC. It wasn't until 14nm they had this density focus, which is misguided considering the most important product for their fabs come from selling their own silicon. They lacked many things necessary for a foundry.

lightmanek likes this.
  22. John Carmack

John Carmack Member

Francois Piednoel is a clown. That is all.

lamedude, Glo., .vodka and 6 others like this.
  23. Arachnotronic

A typical IC design requires significant work across a wide range of teams, including the core architecture definition teams, uncore teams, physical implementation, microcode, etc. It's an absolutely gigantic effort and I find it hard to believe that Conroe was such a well kept secret internally.

Also worth noting that Intel works with major OEMs to let them know what's coming, to allow them to prepare system designs around the chip and to let them know how the thing will perform to line up their marketing messages with what Intel will be delivering with the silicon.

#22 Arachnotronic, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    DarthKyrie, Jan Olšan and raghu78 like this.
  24. dark zero

dark zero Platinum Member

Seems that Intel is in REAL problems and their fans are on negation.

Even more, even at 10 nm, once the competition (GloFo is targeting it along Samsung) goes EUV, the game is over, since EUV for them is literally going neck to neck to the next Intel tech, and they won't catch up until they are on EUV too.

But that means something else too: Once we hit EUV, the silicon Barrier must be bypassed by other materials.

I mean, silicon based processors are over beyond that. EUV might work for 5 or even 3 nm, but after that we need to see other materials like Gallium in order to continue to picometers.

And even if Intel works with major OEMs, they tends to fail too, remember ITANIUM?

Meanwhile Lenovo took measures and they are going to VIA-ZhaoXin and puting that chip on their laptops. Including the octocore ones.

Henk Poley likes this.
  25. ksec

ksec Senior member

Intel used to get the profits so they can prepaid all the investment in fabs and equipment for next leading node, without borrowing much, a lower cost of money. Nowadays Apple could help fund the development in partnership with TSMC for guarantee Fab Capacity.

The original pieces I wanted to write, if there are anything could sway Apple away from TSMC, to Samsung or Intel. And I could not think of one. The IP Apple has invested into its SoC, are well worth a few billion at least. Even if Samsung or Intel could Fab for Apple at slightly better node then TSMC, while giving a billion dollar discount then TSMC is not worth the risk of their IP.

Just think of TSMC 7nm is roughly the same as Intel 10nm. Of course there will also be pros and cons. Comparing density without leakage or performance is useless. Then there is the cost of design and optimization for those node. It is hard to compare. But just say the are roughly the same. At least TSMC has both 7nm LP and HP available in volume by the end of 2018, still waiting for such certainty from Intel.

Intel's best day were when paranoid survives. Now it is nothing more than blind Silicon Valley optimism.

26. Henk Poley

Henk Poley Junior Member

To be fair, WWDC is not really the Apple event where very new hardware is released. But yeah, Apple has a pretty good idea of the hardware they are able to deliver in September by the time of WWDC. We will just not get to know by then.

MacRumors has some experience in following Apple and made a prediction on the sort of things they will release at WWDC: https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/wwdc/

btw, a nice overview of the different actual sizes of the different company's lithography processes ought to be nice in the discussion.