Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition for PC!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Awesome! I'd play this again on the PC. It would be even better if they ported Demons Souls as well, but i doubt that will ever happen.. Oh well, Dark Souls on PC is great news indeed.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
I played the hell out of Dark Souls on the PS3 and loved every moment (except PvP). But I can't seem to get excited about this. The gameplay seemed really optimized for controllers and I am having a hard time thinking what would be greatly improved on a PC. Graphics would be better, of course. But just playing the whole thing again but looking prettier? Not sure about that.

Someone sell me on this idea. Why is everyone so excited about the PC version?

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I played the hell out of Dark Souls on the PS3 and loved every moment (except PvP). But I can't seem to get excited about this. The gameplay seemed really optimized for controllers and I am having a hard time thinking what would be greatly improved on a PC. Graphics would be better, of course. But just playing the whole thing again but looking prettier? Not sure about that.

New bosses, no slow downs in certain areas, possibility of fan made content (mods). I will surely be buying this day one. I'd even accept an Origin only release (please don't Namco!).

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008

Because some of us don't have consoles, and aren't willing to buy one just for a couple of exclusives.

And most PC games do let you use a gamepad, btw. Dark Souls will almost undoubtedly have gamepad support.

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005

I'll just plug in my 360 controller unless the KB/M controls are somehow excellent.

I'm excited because 1) I never finished it on PS3 and 2) I'm always excited to play PC games over console games, mostly because they look and run better. For those that don't have a PS3 or 360, it's fantastic news.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005

You do know you can plug your controller into a Windows 7 PC right?

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
You do know you can plug your controller into a Windows 7 PC right?

Well of course. But that's not the audience of my post. I'm talking about all the people who played DS already and want to pick it up again on PC.

Obviously if you've never played DS you should run out and buy this immediately on PC when it comes out.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
So just saw some pics and it will be a GFWL game. Not sure if it will require it, but it's on the box.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
We can only hope a petition will work, since it worked to actually bring the game to the PC. It is like they are trying to set it up to fail so they can just say that PC ports don't sell well next time people want one of their games ported.

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
Given the game's unusual multiplayer, and that it's a console port, GFWL was probably a 'Use the system equivalent to XBL that we've already got mostly working, or spend extra money and maybe not get OK to port it."

-Slacker-

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2010
Well of course. But that's not the audience of my post. I'm talking about all the people who played DS already and want to pick it up again on PC.

Obviously if you've never played DS you should run out and buy this immediately on PC when it comes out.

60 FPS. Blighttown

jdelrio22

Feb 14, 2006
Finished the ps3 version and was hoping to grab a PC copy.

GFWL = Never again.

Dealt with that when playing Dawn of War II and Dirt 3 and I don't ever want to have that again.

Have I mentioned how much I dislike GFWL?

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Dark Souls devs say Games for Windows discussion 'ongoing'

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die is the long-awaited PC port of the hardcore console title, but PC fans were none-too-pleased by the "Games for Windows Live" logo that appeared with the announcement. Producer Daisuke Uchiyama seems at least receptive to change, claiming that the partnership talks aren't set in stone.

"[Live] is the established server that we used for the Xbox 360 version - that's the main reason we picked it," Uchiyama told Edge. "But the partnership decision is still ongoing. We might have another announcement soon regarding the platform we'll be using."

Marketing head Carlson Choi also remarked that since the game isn't due until August, "there is still a lot of time for marketing beats." That implies more announcements to come, which PC stalwarts hope means Steamworks.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die will add a new chapter, two new bosses and various new enemies, a PVP matchmaking system, a new NPC, and additional weapons and armor. All those fancy extras should make the game easier, so we shouldn't feel that the subtitle is foreboding at all, right?

via:
http://www.shacknews.com/article/73386/dark-souls-devs-say-gfw-live-discussion-ongoing

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
I will definitely buy this when it comes out, or is it already out?

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Even with GFWL, I'll still buy it. A Steamworks release would be the best case scenario. They get the feel good DRM and most fanboys will be happy.