Dad disowns his gay son in handwritten letter

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
Comparing an illegal activity (drug-dealing) with a legal activity (homosexuality) is ignorant. Drug-dealing is a choice, homosexuality is not.

Yes you are. And taking cues or advice for contemporary life from a heavily edited and compromised text from ~2000 years ago isn't wise.

Yeah, whatever.

I'm not about to argue with you. I was not comparing lifestyles, just drawing a similarity in things people do, that people choose to dislike for whatever reason.

I don't care if being gay is or isn't a choice. I don't accept gay behavior. I also don't care what drives someone to drug dealing. I don't accept it that behavior.

If this isn't clear to you, I don't know how clear I can make it.

It's all about rejecting a certain behavior that one views as wrong, no matter the cause, reason.....

Last edited:

Scooby Doo

Golden Member
Sep 1, 2006
That's not his dad... that's his biological unit. James deserves a better father than this. Hopefully the guy will have a change of heart, but I won't hold my breathe.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
It's not like his son said that Pinkie Pie was best pony.
People need to have some perspective.

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
"MORALLY wrong?" So you want to judge the guy by YOUR set of standards?

IMO, that's as wrong as what he did.

Morals are just "rules" made up by a group to govern the behavior of others.

Of course I'm going to judge someone's actions by my set of standards. Who else's standards would I use? And I don't know how I'm possibly trying to govern the behavior of others by simply stating that what they are doing is wrong, but not trying to obligate them to change that behavior.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Of course I'm going to judge someone's actions by my set of standards. Who else's standards would I use? And I don't know how I'm possibly trying to govern the behavior of others by simply stating that what they are doing is wrong, but not trying to obligate them to change that behavior.

Sounds about like what the dad has done. He's judged his son by the standards he knows and finds appropriate.
Doesn't sound like he's trying to obligate the son to change his behavior...just that he doesn't want to associate with him as long as he continues living a lifestyle that the dad finds wrong.
:shrug:

I think the dad will someday regret the decision...if he doesn't change his mind about it.

Nov 30, 2006
I'm not pissed, just annoyed by Christians telling me I have them all wrong. Really? Fuck you, dude.
I'm sure everything you believe is correct. And I imagine all those Christians that annoy you so much feel the same way.

BTW, you might want to work on expanding your vocabulary. Just saying.

Peace.

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
Sounds about like what the dad has done. He's judged his son by the standards he knows and finds appropriate.
Doesn't sound like he's trying to obligate the son to change his behavior...just that he doesn't want to associate with him as long as he continues living a lifestyle that the dad finds wrong.
:shrug:

I think the dad will someday regret the decision...if he doesn't change his mind about it.

If you consider commenting on an internet forum to strangers as having the same impact as disowning one's son, sure it's about the same thing.

I'm not sure why you think the dad would regret his decision if he did nothing wrong.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
If you consider commenting on an internet forum to strangers as having the same impact as disowning one's son, sure it's about the same thing.

I'm not sure why you think the dad would regret his decision if he did nothing wrong.

It's only the same in that judging people based on YOUR standards is the same as the father judging his son based on HIS standards.

I still fail to see how the dad's decision is "wrong" if it's based on HIS set of moral standards.

Why might the dad regret the decision? It's not uncommon to regret decisions made emotionally. Right or wrong.

Hell, I have regrets about decisions I made in my youth that were based on what I thought was right at the time. I STILL think I was right in what I did...but that doesn't stop the regret at the end result.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
I'm sure everything you believe is correct. And I imagine all those Christians that annoy you so much feel the same way.

BTW, you might want to work on expanding your vocabulary. Just saying.

Peace.

My vocabulary is fine. I don't have to prove anything to you. Thanks for calling me out in the thread for saying I am discontented with Christianity...it must really hurt you guys to not have everyone on your side. Disagreeing with any of you makes me "ignorant". hahaha

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Yeah, whatever.

I'm not about to argue with you. I was not comparing lifestyles, just drawing a similarity in things people do, that people choose to dislike for whatever reason.

I don't care if being gay is or isn't a choice. I don't accept gay behavior. I also don't care what drives someone to drug dealing. I don't accept it that behavior.

It's all about rejecting a certain behavior that one views as wrong, no matter the cause, reason.....

Not accepting people based on their sexual orientation is wrong no matter how you slice it. Justifying the non-acceptance by hiding behind the veil of religion is cowardly and ignorant.

Would you disown or not accept your own children should they be born lesbian or gay?

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Letter is fake.

Anybody who has written a letter of disown-ment always signs with their name, not "Dad" or "Mom" that name is gone by the end of the letter.

Somebody just wanted to catch the end of the chick-fil-a ordeal and post some made up stuff.

This, my observation exactly. Reddit/huffpo/omgweb20retard trollersauce.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Not accepting people based on their sexual orientation is wrong no matter how you slice it. Justifying the non-acceptance by hiding behind the veil of religion is cowardly and ignorant.

Would you disown or not accept your own children should they be born lesbian or gay?

It's NOT wrong...No one should have to "accept" someone else's livestyle or life choices. They have the right to refuse to associate with that person.

As was pointed out earlier, if the son was a heroin addict, the father would be just as right to refuse to associate with his son if that was his choice.

As for me...thankfully, I don't have to make the decision...but I came close to disowning my daughter when she converted to Mormonism...:biggrin:

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
It's only the same in that judging people based on YOUR standards is the same as the father judging his son based on HIS standards.

I still fail to see how the dad's decision is "wrong" if it's based on HIS set of moral standards.

Why might the dad regret the decision? It's not uncommon to regret decisions made emotionally. Right or wrong.

Hell, I have regrets about decisions I made in my youth that were based on what I thought was right at the time. I STILL think I was right in what I did...but that doesn't stop the regret at the end result.
Is that like how racism isn't wrong because it is based on the racist's set of moral standards?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Is that like how racism isn't wrong because it is based on the racist's set of moral standards?

"Racism" is only wrong if it's used to discriminate against someone else in employment or housing. (that's "WRONG" under the law)

People are free to be as racist as they want...and other people are free to disagree with their opinions.

I'm not AGREEING with what the dad did...merely defending his right to do so.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Yeah, whatever.

Classifying it as 'behavior' is a convenient way for you to seperate the act from the human, making it morally acceptable to hate it. After all, you don't hate the human, you only hate the behavior, right?

I suppose you also hate masturbation and sex before marriage and all that jazz, too. Yes, yes. I'm sure you do.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
It's NOT wrong...No one should have to "accept" someone else's livestyle or life choices. They have the right to refuse to associate with that person.

As was pointed out earlier, if the son was a heroin addict, the father would be just as right to refuse to associate with his son if that was his choice.

As for me...thankfully, I don't have to make the decision...but I came close to disowning my daughter when she converted to Mormonism...:biggrin:

Weather or not somebody is gay is not a choice. The only choice for them is when to come out of the closet. Perhaps you are suggesting that they should keep it a secret for the rest of their lives and attempt to live a life as a straight person? Yea, because that's not fvcked up and that always works?

Your religion is a "choice." Weather or not you choose to take heroin is a choice. Your sexual preference is a "preference." That is not a choice. No decision takes place. You simply are attracted to whatever your attracted to.

No gay person I have ever known has chosen to be gay. The only choice they made was that they would try to be happy rather than pretend otherwise.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
"Racism" is only wrong if it's used to discriminate against someone else in employment or housing. (that's "WRONG" under the law)

People are free to be as racist as they want...and other people are free to disagree with their opinions.

I'm not AGREEING with what the dad did...merely defending his right to do so.
So for you, wrong is limited only to illegal? Like I said to the other poster, that's a very narrow definition of 'wrong.'

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Clearly there aught to be a law forcing fathers to love and accept their gay sons. Make disownment of gay children a hate crime.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Clearly there aught to be a law forcing fathers to love and accept their gay sons. Make disownment of gay children a hate crime.
Cleary when people say the father is 'wrong' they mean that it should be illegal ... you fucking nitwit.

Last edited:

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
What I object to is fighting ignorance with ignorance. His does not excuse anyone elses, and no I do not agree with his actions.
Do you object to fighting ignorance with sarcasm so blatent that it's hard to believe a rational person such as yourself would not be able to spot it?

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
That's not his dad... that's his biological unit. James deserves a better father than this. Hopefully the guy will have a change of heart, but I won't hold my breathe.

Oh well, to hell with the father. 30 years from now when he's old & alone in the only shitty nursing home that Medicaid will pay for he'll regret this.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
This is why I hate religion, or improperly-applied religion. For doing shit like this to people. For driving two otherwise decent people apart. Multiply this by millions and you've got entire populations driven apart.