Custom R9 290/290X Reviews/Availability/Listings thread

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
All MSI "gamer" cards are reference design. The only non reference cards are the Lightning, Power and Hawk. I'm not sure if they even make power / hawk anymore though. So basically the Lightning will be non reference, the gamer is reference.

Fastx

Dec 18, 2008
I'm running GPU-Z v0.7.4 and have no issues logging VRM Temps on my Reference R9 290X; however, I don't believe that MSI card is a reference design.

Z two guys from different forums both have the AIB MSI 290 Gaming TF IV cards and both use GPU Z 7.5. One guys card shows the VRM temps in 7.5 and the other guys card does not show VRM temps.

I was curious why one card shows the VRM temps in GPU z and the other card does not?

The only thing I can think of at this point is one card has the sensors and the other card doesn't?

This one shows VRM temps.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=25656705&postcount=90

This one does not show VRM temps and he does have it scrolled all the way down.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1453703/...9-290x-gaming-4g-video-cards/50#post_21567216

Golden Member
Jun 10, 2007
2 revisions of the same card already?............

This AIB situation went downhill fast.

staryoshi

Jul 10, 2010
All MSI "gamer" cards are reference design. The only non reference cards are the Lightning, Power and Hawk. I'm not sure if they even make power / hawk anymore though. So basically the Lightning will be non reference, the gamer is reference.

There are a few subtle differences between the reference R9 290 series and MSI Gaming R9 290, but the overall design does mimic the reference board for the most part. (Highlighted below)

11vl7yT.jpg

Feb 19, 2009
There are a few subtle differences between the reference R9 290 series and MSI Gaming R9 290, but the overall design does mimic the reference board for the most part. (Highlighted below)

11vl7yT.jpg

Its worse than reference, they went full el-cheapo mode.

Its about time AMD has a greenlight program similar to NV because this launch is retarded.. from AIBs who decided to put heatpipe coolers on Hawaii when 2 pipes have no contact, its operating crippled out of the box, now to skimping out on a reference design.

They must know full well their Radeon products are going to be put to the torture test by a lot of users, mining 24/7, there's no room for skimping.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011

11vl7yT.jpg

Huh. That's still a reference PCB with a different cap brand right? Correct me if i'm wrong. I don't see any custom design elements on that PCB at all, just a few electronic components using a different brand really.

It certainly isn't what one has in mind when they're trying to buy a custom PCB card. Like I said though - that's what the Lightning series is for. ;)

staryoshi

Jul 10, 2010
Its worse than reference, they went full el-cheapo mode.

Its about time AMD has a greenlight program similar to NV because this launch is retarded.. from AIBs who decided to put heatpipe coolers on Hawaii when 2 pipes have no contact, its operating crippled out of the box, now to skimping out on a reference design.

They must know full well their Radeon products are going to be put to the torture test by a lot of users, mining 24/7, there's no room for skimping.

They did use inductors with lesser amperage tolerance - we'll see whether or not it matters, though. The new TwinFrozr heatsink looks very capable. I have one on order from Amazon (to review :3) The backplate and pcb heatsink/bracket are useful for AiO water cooling, too (AC hybrid, NZXT G10).

staryoshi

Jul 10, 2010
Huh. That's still a reference PCB with a different cap brand right? Correct me if i'm wrong. I don't see any custom design elements on that PCB at all, just a few electronic components using a different brand really.

It certainly isn't what one has in mind when they're trying to buy a custom PCB card. Like I said though - that's what the Lightning series is for. ;)

And like I said, it mimics the reference design for the most part. It is not a reference board, though, as it uses non-reference components. It should be compatible with anything the reference board is compatible with, of course.

Just arguing over minor details :D

Last edited:

Fastx

Dec 18, 2008
Well if there are two versions (R2) of this card (per w/wo sensors) already then there could be other changes/components to this card.

Last edited:

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004

MSI Gaming 290s, slot 1 and slot 3, mining @ 1007/1250. This card is very quiet (even at 100% fan) but is woefully inadequate for high load applications like mining as anything but the bottom card/using risers. I'm not going to even try overclocking and will in fact be lowering the core clock on slot 1 due to the cooler being terrible.

At least VRM temps show and they aren't terribad...

Feb 19, 2009
How hot does the core get? 82C vrm is very respectable for mining loads.. that would mean gaming load it wouldn't even GAF.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
How hot does the core get? 82C vrm is very respectable for mining loads.. that would mean gaming load it wouldn't even GAF.

Top card > 92C, 95C/76C VRMs
Bottom card 75C-81C, 82C/67C VRMs

Top card exhibits throttling at stock clocks to avoid overheating.

Conclusion: MSI Gaming 290 is decent for gaming at stock clocks and is quiet, but it is definitely NOT as good as a Sapphire Tri-X which is still the current king of 290 non-reference and has a much better cooler.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2009
As a single card it looks to perform very well, mining at around 81C core and 82C VRM is excellent by any standard. And its quiet. I see mining load as being around gaming OC load.

So it could work very well for mining setups with a PCIE riser, to give them airflow between cards.

Golden Member
Jun 10, 2007
Ok, all the talk about the inductors got me curious.

So the inductors on Reference Hawaii are:

On Right Side of Board:
5x FP1007R3-R15-R
1x FP1007R3-R23-R
http://www1.cooperbussmann.com/pdf/79793630-1b1e-49f8-a6d0-ea9b2be9f2e4.pdf

On Left Side of Board:
1x FP1505R1-R15-R
http://elcodis.com/parts/1271161/FP1505R1-R15-R.html

Sapphire Tri-X is this:
8sqm.jpg

Gigabyte Windforce is this:
pibo.jpg

Gigabyte Windforce 780 for comparison:
clf2.jpg

Gigabyte Windforce 780/Ti GHz for comparison:
xq9z.jpg

ASUS DCU2 is this:
0via.jpg

EVGA 780/Ti Classified for comparison:
uvhr.jpg

mlpq.jpg

MSI 780 Lightning for comparison:
prv7.jpg

Last edited:

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Z two guys from different forums both have the AIB MSI 290 Gaming TF IV cards and both use GPU Z 7.5. One guys card shows the VRM temps in 7.5 and the other guys card does not show VRM temps.

I was curious why one card shows the VRM temps in GPU z and the other card does not?

The only thing I can think of at this point is one card has the sensors and the other card doesn't?

This one shows VRM temps.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=25656705&postcount=90

This one does not show VRM temps and he does have it scrolled all the way down.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1453703/...9-290x-gaming-4g-video-cards/50#post_21567216

Possible that they are using different voltage controllers. Manufacturers often have to change components due to availability. We've seen it with Samsung memory being used in the early cards and then seeing Hynix or Elpida used later, again due to availability. Not sure whether this is the case here or not, but definitely possible though.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Well if there are two versions (R2) of this card (per w/wo sensors) already then there could be other changes/components to this card.

Wait what? Has this been confirmed? Are we talking about the MSI Gaming 290 4G that just came out? I noticed the VRM thing too... weird. I don't suppose they have different models for different regions, since OCUK is Europe and presumably the OCN guy was USA?

Edit to add: someone figured out that if you tamper with the dpi settings in Windows, it messes up GPU-Z to the point where you can't see VRM temps anymore. So there are apparently NOT 2 versions of the MSI R9 290, just one, and you need to not have your DPI set to over 100% to see VRM temps.

Last edited:

l2ez4m

Aug 25, 2012
Looks like one of the last playerz - HIS is brandishing pretty much reference design

DSC_4386.jpg

DSC_4389.jpg

DSC_4392.jpg

Hynix vidmem chips
DSC_4391.jpg

Decent fin stack array and five heatpipe solution
DSC_4388.jpg

Gold Cube
GX-098-HS_81716_600.jpg

Last edited:

Golden Member
Jun 10, 2007
Looking at the review, it looks like the card went to a little less than 50% fan in 3DMark Firestrike.

Going by that it seems it's got the same 55% fan speed cap by default as reference.

I'm not optimistic on the VRMs though, DCUII didn't do too well and it has both a bigger sink and more VRMs to presumably not heat up as much to begin with.

It's possible that it's got the 47% fan speed cap and just has a stupidly low temp limit like the gigabyte that is cranking the fans so high in the furmark test though.

Last edited:

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
Wow...dude did you really have to link images that were that big in size? You almost destroyed my shitty laptop.

Feb 19, 2009
First asus r9 290 review here:
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_radeon_r9_290_directcuii_oc_review,1.html
First impression: seems to fare better then the bigger brother. Only did a 2 minutes read yet though.

It must be a different revision because compared to Guru3d's R290X review, those temps are remarkably lower, for the VRM. Its now around 72C compared to 89C. I am interested in knowing what they did for this variant because its using pretty much the same power as its bigger bro.