Crysis single player demo

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RZaakir

Sep 19, 2003
I don't have a problem with the damage. The NK soldiers are wearing body armor and if you get a headshot they will die instantly.

It's just hard to get headshots when playing at 1920x1600 ;)

vhx

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2006
Originally posted by: wazzledoozle
Originally posted by: vhx
I would play it... if the demo actually gave me sound. Terrible support if it can't handle an Audigy 2 ZS, which is pretty pathetic for a new game.

EDIT: Read around and people are having issues with the same sound card. Sigh.

I'm playing with an Audigy 2 on Vista perfectly fine.

For XP, try the youp-pax drivers. Much better than the creative drivers.
http://www.youp-pax.org/viewth...tid=473&extra=page%3D1

Thanks. Actually for some reason updating the video drivers fixed my sound issues, Lol. No clue how that works, but oh well. Demo is pretty cool, running most of the stuff on Low and still find it well done.

Aug 9, 2007
I think it's pretty obvious that most of the guys "seemingly" not liking the gameplay are just complaining because their cpu/ram/video card is too slow to get fps above 20.
I visited lots of sites like shacknews, voodooextreme and others and posts of people that don't like it always go something like this:

1. I get only 10 fps with my Athlon/P4, Geforce 7600/6800, 1GB Ram
2. Doesn't look as good as videos
3. Gameplay sucks

If you complain about this or say it's just Far Cry you are insane.
Can't believe people are hyping HL2: Episode 2 which has nothing new whatsoever and still the same shitty corridor gameplay since 2004 and then complain about Crysis being too much like Far Cry. Yeah it's like Far Cry, because it has FREEDOM and some palm trees. It's still the best fps out this year and probably the next.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: frythecpuofbender
I think it's pretty obvious that most of the guys "seemingly" not liking the gameplay are just complaining because their cpu/ram/video card is too slow to get fps above 20.
I visited lots of sites like shacknews, voodooextreme and others and posts of people that don't like it always go something like this:

3. Gameplay sucks

Can't believe people are hyping HL2: Episode 2 which has nothing new whatsoever and still the same shitty corridor gameplay since 2004 and then complain about Crysis being too much like Far Cry. Yeah it's like Far Cry, because it has FREEDOM and some palm trees. It's still the best fps out this year and probably the next.

Actually Ep2 has an interesting story. And is more than what you described.

WraithETC

Golden Member
May 15, 2005
I finally found some settings I liked:

25-32fps
8800gts 320mb
1366 x 768
All medium except shaders and sound on very high.

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003

By George, they've done it. Let's not kid ourselves, it's Farcry 2 (the real one, not just the name) but with modifications and upgrades. You can go guns blazing, you can use stealth for the first person sneaker fans. The AI while not the best, is not brain dead. The suit is a nice addition to break up the monotony of the same shooter. The environment is nice and the graphics are unreal. Runs great on my system (see sig) with everything on high except physics and water (no AA). I agree w/ someone who said they've had more fun playing this demo than the last games they've played this year.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

3. Gameplay sucks

it plays and looks pretty damn good on my system and i still thinks its far cry 2. its the same old boring gameplay on a tropical island. instead of mutants, we have what appears to be aliens...ooooohhh....

jesus, at least get a different locale for the stupid story.

pretty graphics do not make a game...

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
Man, I feel so crappy. EVERYONE is sporting some sort of nVidia 8800 and all I've got is a measly 7900GT :(

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: fuzzybabybunny
Man, I feel so crappy. EVERYONE is sporting some sort of nVidia 8800 and all I've got is a measly 7900GT :(

i'd be willing to bet that overall, more people haver older cards.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Has anyone played around the the sandbox editor? There's actually quite a bit of level left after the end of the demo at the ice ship. In fact, there are two extra NKs and a second alien (called a scout). I wonder if there is a way to edit the map so that the game DOESN'T end at that point.
A gamespot review of the demo talked about going well beyond the boat. This was an old version of the demo though and maybe they cut it short.

BTW I am sure a lot of us have old vid cards, we just don't go around poasting about it :)

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Has anyone played around the the sandbox editor? There's actually quite a bit of level left after the end of the demo at the ice ship. In fact, there are two extra NKs and a second alien (called a scout). I wonder if there is a way to edit the map so that the game DOESN'T end at that point.
A gamespot review of the demo talked about going well beyond the boat. This was an old version of the demo though and maybe they cut it short.

BTW I am sure a lot of us have old vid cards, we just don't go around poasting about it :)

using the sandbox editor you can drop yourself off past the boat and see the alien thing kill a few guys.

Oct 19, 2000
Well, I hope you guys are having fun, because I can't get the game to run right. The menus and everything work fine, but once I get into the actual game, I get major issues with textures missing and everything being out of place. For example, at the first cutscene, I'm guessing you're in an airplane (because of the scene afterwards where you're falling to the water), all I can see is eye balls floating in black space, and some green text on what I guess is some kind of PDA or something. Sound comes through fine. Once I fall into the water, textures are messed up all over, and I can see what looks to be a very faint outline of rocks and a palm tree leaning to the right. Everything is kind of flickering, it's a complete and utter mess.

I had some old forceware drivers on, so I download the latest WHQL drivers from the nvidia website. Those didn't change anything, so I read about and downloaded the 169.01 "crysis" beta drivers, and those have had absolutely no effect also. Unless there's some magic fix, I'm not going to be enjoying the demo like everyone else. This is one of the main reasons I've given up on PC gaming, it's just too much of a damn hassle.

I'm running a Core 2 Duo @ 2.7, 7800GT, 2GB RAM, Vista Ultimate.

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
Originally posted by: blurredvision

I'm running a Core 2 Duo @ 2.7, 7800GT, 2GB RAM, Vista Ultimate.
I think its a 7800gt issue - i got the same probs with the beta!

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: pontifex

i'd be willing to bet that overall, more people haver older cards.

X850XT representin' yo :D

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

but *everyone* is still having real problems getting Crysis to look great AND run smooth

even the Ultra-sli guys can't run faster than a single ultra yet ... and i doubt they are getting smooth frame rates at 19x12 with 4xAA/16xAF "very high"

Crysis has finally humbled every rig :p

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
Originally posted by: apoppin

That, or embarrassed itself... really, the performance is so spotty among so many setups.... its really weird. I thought Crysis would be the game to have me upgrade from my x2 3800+ and 7800gt, but it just doesn't seem worth it... more like a crap shot.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: apoppin

but *everyone* is still having real problems getting Crysis to look great AND run smooth

even the Ultra-sli guys can't run faster than a single ultra yet ... and i doubt they are getting smooth frame rates at 19x12 with 4xAA/16xAF "very high"

Ahhh, we all knew it was gonna happen. This is no surprise. ;)

I have been holding off on upgrading for at least 6 months. I may still not buy a thing until retail benchies are posted.

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001
Heads up
It is possible to get the DX10 effects while playing in DX9 mode

More info here:

Info

:)

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
I can't see the final game being ready in two weeks...I've had countless issues in DX10. I suppose they're banking on 1% of the world running Vista at this point and they're hoping for patches and driver updates.

I'm going to wait for this game to be in the bargain bin. My rig struggles with it even at only 720P, and really I think they'll need a year just to work all the DX10 bugs out and get the game running in all its glory. Plus then I can upgrade my rig. :)

MrUniq

Mar 26, 2006
I'd care more about playing the game than the graphics. Is it really that important to have smooth running DX10, even though the 88's are first gen. It like expectin a 9800 pro to run Oblivion great. The hardware just doesn't exist yet...and SLI is a waste at it ever has been. By next year..even more spectacular game will possibly be out and the proper cards along with it. One note..it really looks like the 8800 320MB are having problems...Nvidia pulled the wool over peoples heads with limited VRam?

Aenygma

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2001
Well................ I didn't love it (Ducks)
I loved FarCry, still to this day my favourite SP game.
This had way too many buttons and such for my liking.

Now, having gotten that out of the way I had a VERY STRANGE problem occur after I un-installed it.

When I went to Start - Run the "RUN" box would not come up at all. I do not recall the exact error msg I got, but it was something to the effect of Windows can't display it here, would I like to make a shortcut. ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!

Well, I rebooted the PC, and all was well again. However, I don't like Extremely Odd problems. Especially ones that pop up right after installing, or uninstalling something.

Anyone have ANY idea what happened there? I have never seen anything like that ever.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: MrUniq
I'd care more about playing the game than the graphics. Is it really that important to have smooth running DX10, even though the 88's are first gen. It like expectin a 9800 pro to run Oblivion great. The hardware just doesn't exist yet...and SLI is a waste at it ever has been. By next year..even more spectacular game will possibly be out and the proper cards along with it. One note..it really looks like the 8800 320MB are having problems...Nvidia pulled the wool over peoples heads with limited VRam?

I have a 8800gts 320 AND a creatiev audigy 2 zs and the game ran great for me with all medium settings at 1680x1050. still looked pretty damn good too.

i did have an issue with it crashing on all high settings and 8x aa though, so who knows.

i didn't mess with it to try any other settings because they game just isn't good enough to warrant all the hassle.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

I said I didn't enjoy it much and I have a Q6600, 4GB of OCZ Platinum RAM and a GeForce 8800GTX :confused:. Maybe I'll try it again, but I still wasn't impressed with it.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
I really need to upgrade my pc.... I had to play it on Low because I think my Video Card's RAM couldn't handle medium... and that demo was fun! :D I really wish I could try it on High :(

ZappDogg

Jul 18, 2005
I autodetected for video settings, and it put everything on medium, with my resolution at 1680x1050. Ran flawlessly up until the 3rd(?) chapter, with the boat covered in ice, at which point my frames per second fell through the floor for no apparent reason. After I finished the demo, I went back and found a nice balance between medium and high qualities in the advanced settings...textures and shaders are no friend to the 320mb 8800GTS =P Took me a while to figure out why I was running out of ammo, and that you have to manually pick it up from fallen soldier's guns. That was cool until I killed about 5 guys in a thicket, and couldn't even see the ground.