Crysis single player demo

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Icepick

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
After reading the 8800GT article on HardOCP where they tested Crysis I decided to try the tweaks they recommended. I changed my settings so that Shadows Quality, Shaders Quality and Post Processing Quality are low. Everything else is high and the res is still 1680x1050. I played through the game with Fraps and it plays nicely at these settings. The average frames per second were in the 30s mostly and the minimums only dipped down into the 20s. The game was very playable. Looks like I'll be able to enjoy this game when it's released and not have to upgrade after all. :D I might just hold off until the Spring to refresh my card (7950GT).

Edit: I just ran the GPU benchmark again at these settings and the results are:
min: 22.40
avg: 33.79
max: 41.99

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
This thing makes my rig cry... low settings on 1680x1050 and still don't break 40 fps... But damn, when i lower the resolution to like 800x600 and enable very high... it looks crazy nice! even at that low resolution streched to a 21" screen.. at 3 fps....

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Originally posted by: videogames101
This thing makes my rig cry... low settings on 1680x1050 and still don't break 40 fps... But damn, when i lower the resolution to like 800x600 and enable very high... it looks crazy nice! even at that low resolution streched to a 21" screen.. at 3 fps....

I am actually able to play at all settings at very high at 800x600 with my geforce 8800 GTS 320 but I don't want to have to play at 800x600 its such a low resolution. I get around 20 to 30 fps.

idiotekniQues

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2007
just played the demo, i thougth i was going to hate the nano suit as i prefer more pure modern/slightly futuristic shooters but seriously, it is very well designed.

i have to check some settings as my 8800gts and q6600 at 3.4ghz with 3gb of ram was put to the test at only 1280 x 1024 with medium settings. something is not rigth but anyways, the game looks great and feels great.

however, on normal difficulty, the enemy ai was pretty dumb. i could reveal my location, then back off running and they would just resume their posts sometimes. i should try harder again.

but yeah, the big thing for me is i was very aprehensive about the nano suit and i am in love with the way it can change the game.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: jimmypage13
one question, is post processing GPU or CPU dependent?

Its both. It ripped apart my video card, but my CPU held the physics strong.

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007
Not sure if this has been addressed in this thread, but does the demo have SecuROM? I saw a tweak guide that says it has it, but I haven't seen any mention of it on AT. Confirm or deny?

DieHardware

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by: idiotekniQues
just played the demo, i thougth i was going to hate the nano suit as i prefer more pure modern/slightly futuristic shooters but seriously, it is very well designed.

i have to check some settings as my 8800gts and q6600 at 3.4ghz with 3gb of ram was put to the test at only 1280 x 1024 with medium settings. something is not rigth but anyways, the game looks great and feels great.

however, on normal difficulty, the enemy ai was pretty dumb. i could reveal my location, then back off running and they would just resume their posts sometimes. i should try harder again.

but yeah, the big thing for me is i was very aprehensive about the nano suit and i am in love with the way it can change the game.

Agreed. I played through the demo without firing a shot...well two shots :D Good fun. :)

I'm going to buy the game.