Crysis single player demo

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
At 8x6 I expected those screens to look pretty crappy, but it still looks really good considering the res.

Nice.

Totally agree. I mean wow! I can't believe that is at 800x600 on medium! :Q

KT

Sep 12, 2004
Finally a good reason to install 64-bit?

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=698&p=7

As you can see the claims made by Crytek that the 64-bit version would allow for 10-15% more performance were very accurate. At 1440x900 we saw an 18% rise in performance favouring the 64-bit version while the 1680x1050 resolution also enjoyed an 18% increase in performance. There was even a 16% gain in performance at 1920x1200 which was most impressive. It would appear after all, that running Crysis in 64-bit mode when possible is very worthwhile indeed.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
If you have a Geforce 8800 series video card you should be able to play Crysis with all settings on very high at 800x600 or 1024x768 depending on which Geforce 8800 GTS video card you have. Its not the greatest but at least it runs pretty well with all details max. Of course you can't enable any AA or AF or else the performence will be to low to play again even on a GTX or Ultra.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: pcslookout
If you have a Geforce 8800 series video card you should be able to play Crysis with all settings on very high at 800x600 or 1024x768 depending on which Geforce 8800 GTS video card you have. Its not the greatest but at least it runs pretty well with all details max. Of course you can't enable any AA or AF or else the performence will be to low to play again even on a GTX or Ultra.

maybe if this was 1998....
who the hell wants to play in 800x600? even with all the settings on highest, its still gotta look like shit.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: pcslookout

:confused: wtf are you talking about? Of course you can play it at 800x600 at very high with a GTS, heck at that resolution I would be thinking more about your CPU not your GPU.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

As you can see the claims made by Crytek that the 64-bit version would allow for 10-15% more performance were very accurate. At 1440x900 we saw an 18% rise in performance favouring the 64-bit version while the 1680x1050 resolution also enjoyed an 18% increase in performance. There was even a 16% gain in performance at 1920x1200 which was most impressive. It would appear after all, that running Crysis in 64-bit mode when possible is very worthwhile indeed.

Hmm, interesting. I assume you can only do this on the released version?

Oh and as a side note that 8800GT looks like an awesome freaking card for the price. :thumbsup:

KT

Sep 12, 2004
Originally posted by: KeithTalent

Hmm, interesting. I assume you can only do this on the released version?

Oh and as a side note that 8800GT looks like an awesome freaking card for the price. :thumbsup:

KT
Haven't tried it yet but I'm pretty sure it's for the demo as well. Supposedly the installer creates a Bin64 folder on a 64-bit OS and installs the appropriate files. I'm downloading Vista x64 now (TechNet subscription) and I'm going to give it a shot later today or tomorrow.

That 8800gt is unbelievable for the price. A svelte, sexy, single-slot solution too. Makes me want to sell my gts. I wonder what I can get for it on FleaBay?

Ryland

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2001
What really stinks is that I just got my GTS a few weeks ago and it is already utterly outdated by a cheaper card. There is a note from BFG that Nvidia will supposedly rerelease the GTS cards with 112 shader units like the GT has but I am guessing those that already have GTS's are hosed.

ZappDogg

Jul 18, 2005
Originally posted by: Ryland
What really stinks is that I just got my GTS a few weeks ago and it is already utterly outdated by a cheaper card. There is a note from BFG that Nvidia will supposedly rerelease the GTS cards with 112 shader units like the GT has but I am guessing those that already have GTS's are hosed.

Why are you hosed? I'm selling my GTS on craigslist for cash and using it to buy a GT...only out 30 bucks.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: ZappDogg

Why are you hosed? I'm selling my GTS on craigslist for cash and using it to buy a GT...only out 30 bucks.

Yep, plus the rumours had been floating around for quite a while that the GT would be between the GTS and GTX. I still understand your frustration though,.

KT

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: abaez
I started it up and ran it at 1920x1200 on medium settings and it ran great. I have a BFG 8800. I thought I would have to upgrade my cpu but I'm glad I don't.

That's exactly what I just did; just finished playing it for about 30 minutes and had to come here to contribute my two pennies.

The demo loaded fine. Ran fine. No glitches on first start or anything. I hit "Auto Detect" and it set everything to Medium. I changed the res to 1920x1200 and went fragging.

7900GTO/163.71 drivers.
C2D @ 3.2GHz (400x8)
2GB RAM

Overall, I loved it. :thumbsup: It's a beautiful FPS with a good (so far) story. Haven't used any of the suit special effects except to jump up over/on top of the rocks towards the beginning of the demo.

Honestly, I need a better videocard (and my 8800GT SC is in the mail now :D) b/c there were some spots were it got real slide-show like.

I did not try any other resolutions b/c if I wanted to play at 1280x1024, I wouldn't have spent the money on a bigger monitor. You know? :p

Interesting note: After I played, I looked at Task Manager and maximized the view. My CPU usage was all over the place, but varied b/t 25-75%...most of the time it was right at the 50% mark. This game is obviously not CPU-bound, even at 1920x1200.

I had no UI slowdowns when accessing the gun/suit/binoculars or anything else. I keep my system defragged and my available memory as high as possible (not a lot of crap running in background) so that my have something to do with it.

I would imagine I'm about 33% thru the demo (turned off the jammer and moving towards the checkpoint) and love it so far. As has been mentioned, you can destroy pretty much everything and pick up the pieces and throw them too. Throwing a live chicken at an enemy was fun. But it would've been MORE fun if he reacted appropriately...like saying "WTF?" and shooting me...but he just stood there. It's great that you can take the enemy's guns and use them.

The UI is very intuitive. If you're a FPS-gamer, you'll feel right at home with the default keys. Left click fires, right click zooms. Nice. :thumbsup:

Enemy AI when following/surrounding you is very smart, ala FEAR. But it needs a little work in other areas. When I shot at the gunner in the top of the Humvee, he just stood there. With bullets going "clank-clank!" all over the vehicle around me, I'd be ducking or firing wildly or something. Needs a little work and hopefully they fix it either in the retail version or with the first (inevitable) patch.

I'll be ordering it tonight. :thumbsup:

I don't know how to see FPS or how to run the timedemo. :eek: Would someone tell me, please?

*edit*
I found how to run the timedemo benchmarks. Google works wonders. :eek:

I guess eventually, we'll agree on what resolution/detail level to run the benchmark at? Apparently, you have to go into the control panel, set the res/details, exit, THEN run the benchmark.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: ZappDogg

that just doesn't even seem worth it.

i had thought about that too, but the performance differences aren't big enough.
you'll probably get like $100 or so for your GTS. i can't imagine people spending more for a used card when they can get a slightly better performing NEW card for $230

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001
Originally posted by: MichaelD

I don't know how to see FPS or how to run the timedemo. :eek: Would someone tell me, please?

*edit*
I found how to run the timedemo benchmarks. Google works wonders. :eek:

I guess eventually, we'll agree on what resolution/detail level to run the benchmark at? Apparently, you have to go into the control panel, set the res/details, exit, THEN run the benchmark.

Thanks for the link. I was about to ask the same question :)

Icepick

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
Maybe I'm missing something but, I'm not seeing a reason for all the whining I've been seeing around the web about poor performance. I downloaded the demo a few nights ago and played through it entirely and it was fun. No slideshows like I was expecting. I ran the GPU timedemo a few minutes ago and my average frames per second hovered around 30 for the most part. The gameplay reflected this as I monitored it with Fraps and observed similar fps.

min fps: 21.62
max fps: 44.99
avg fps: 32.37

The settings I played at were:

1680x1050
All settings High except the following which, were on Low:
-volumetric processing
-shaders
-particles
Edit: No AA

Keep in mind that this is with a year old PC.

CPU: core2duo e6300 @ 2.8GHz
RAM: 2GB Gskill 5-5-5-15 DDR2 800 @ 1:1
Video: EVGA 7950GT KO SC --> driver version 169.04

Edit: Reduced water quality to Medium
min: 22.37, max: 49.23, avg: 33.91

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Icepick
Maybe I'm missing something but, I'm not seeing a reason for all the whining I've been seeing around the web about poor performance. I downloaded the demo a few nights ago and played through it entirely and it was fun. No slideshows like I was expecting. I ran the GPU timedemo a few minutes ago and my average frames per second hovered around 30 for the most part. The gameplay reflected this as I monitored it with Fraps and observed similar fps. The settings I played at were:

1680x1050
All settings High except the following which, were on Medium:
-volumetric processing
-shaders
-particles

Keep in mind that this is with a year old PC.

CPU: core2duo e6300 @ 2.8GHz
RAM: 2GB Gskill 5-5-5-15 DDR2 800 @ 1:1
Video: EVGA 7950GT KO SC

now try the ONLY setting that matters -

all *very high* :p

... and report back

even 'high' is totally missing it - and the screenshots don't show it
:roll:

Icepick

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
Originally posted by: apoppin
- Edited for brevity -

... and report back

LOL You really want to make my video card cry don't you? :) That is on the horizon after an upgrade to Vista and a nice midrange DX10 compatible GPU. :D Probably won't happen until after Christmas though. :(

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: apoppin
- Edited for brevity -

... and report back

LOL You really want to make my video card cry don't you? :) That is on the horizon after an upgrade to Vista and a nice midrange DX10 compatible GPU. :D Probably won't happen until after Christmas though. :(
no ... of course not ... BUT ...
-you brought it up :p

--there is *no comparison* between "very high" and "high" [period]
--and my rig struggles to maintain 11FPS with everything maxed and "very high" @ 16x10 :(

--to really PLAY it i will need a 2nd 2900xt for Crossfire AND a Penryn QC upgrade AND both Crysis devs and AMD *better* optimize it a LOT.
:confused: