Crying kids in target

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ColdFusion718

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2000
Originally posted by: TheNewbie
That kid was a little spoiled brat who should've been much better educated by his no good mother, and the mother should have been punished.
However, if a stranger would ever approach to me and/or my child in the manner your buddy did, he would be visiting the dentist afterwards for replacing a couple of lost teeth.
To do something like your friend did, is being stupid, to go a head and brag about it in a forum is being a retard (Get a life buddy).

0/10

Yeah then you can spend the night in jail for assault and battery. Way to go big guy!

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
..same scene takes place in restaurants..theaters and public gathering places. Somehow we're all supposed to be tolerant of screaming brats..dirty diapers and parents who are not.

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
spoken like a true noparent....

you know, the mom is right. if you coddle the kid every time they wimper, we end up with ATOT.

My 2yo daughter will scream that piercing scream, and we put her on a stool in the kitchen and let her sit there. She will scream for hours some days. There is NOTHING we can do to stop here, but putting her on ther makes the incidences less frequent. If we are in public, one of us will take her to a car, but if it's just her, what can she do?

Congrats, your friend is an ass.

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
Your friend is a douche, and that mom equally so. Take your F-ing kids out of public if they're going to act that way. Same deal with those young "pissed off at the world" selfish parents who take their talking/crying baby to the movie theater because they can't afford/find a babysitter.

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
Originally posted by: jdoggg12
Originally posted by: TheNewbie
That kid was a little spoiled brat who should've been much better educated by his no good mother, and the mother should have been punished.
However, if a stranger would ever approach to me and/or my child in the manner your buddy did, he would be visiting the dentist afterwards for replacing a couple of lost teeth.
To do something like your friend did, is being stupid, to go a head and brag about it in a forum is being a retard (Get a life buddy).

0/10

You seem to be one of those people who think that your life is your own, no matter how it affects those around you. Gone are the days when it was a community job to raise children - parents get pissed when other people get pissed and speak up when their kids are pissing off everyone around them

If you took action to correct the situation to begin with, there'd be no need for other people to intervene. I DID say it was over the top, but the theory is sound. Just putting up with bratty behavior b/c its not your kid is why so few kids lack respect to ANYONE these days.

He should not have sworn, but i fully agree with reprimanding both parent and brat.

no, kids are brats because they get everything the want, when they want it. Had the lady grabbed some candy and shut her kid up, it would have been worse long term.

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
Originally posted by: nweaver
If we are in public, one of us will take her to a car, but if it's just her, what can she do?

Put the merchandise down, go outside and handle it, and come back when the kid is calm? :confused:

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
If we are in public, one of us will take her to a car, but if it's just her, what can she do?

How is that any different? You still take the child to the car. If you try to justify not doing so, you're at the very least being completely inconsiderate of everyone else around you. At the VERY least, put the goddamn cell phone away, and hustle you and your screaming child's ass through the store to get what you need and get out of there.

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Fritzo
OK, this is one of the most disgusting "Look what a cool thing I did" threads I've ever read. KIDS DO THIS- IT'S THEIR JOB! Between 2-4 they yell, scream, hit, kick..anything to get what they want. There's no way around it. Your mister "more holy than thou" friend needs to be punched in the neck. :| People that think "Oh...you have to be a good parent to get a kid to stop throwing a tantrum" are the same people THAT DO NOT HAVE KIDS. They do not follow any logic, have any concept of acting civilized, and are difficult to communicate with. I'm betting not a single person here that agreed with what that jerk did have kids of their own so they can say "Oh yeah...I know what that's like". People that don't have kids yet always think "My kid is going to be a perfect angel." Then they have one or two and they go "Oh...."

my 2 year old cannot be reasoned with some days. Nothing works, not spanking, not talking, not treats, NOTHING. We just put her on a chair/stool and she gets to scream till shes done. That's why you don't go out to dinner much, no movies with kids etc while your kids are that age. You made great points here.

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Vonkhan
:thumbsup:

Good job

As for all the other "parents" in this thread, if you can't tell your kid to shut up - someone else will have to. Also, if you can't control a bawling kid, what makes you think that you can kick my ass? :)

We need more people like the OP's friend and the aircrew who offloaded the mom & her "bye bye plane" brat.

yeah, cause if we can't beat the crap out of a kid to shut them up, then we aren't real men! :shocked:

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
You guys missed the post about the kid being around 7ish? Its not like it was a toddler.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001

you know, the mom is right. if you coddle the kid every time they wimper, we end up with ATOT.

My 2yo daughter will scream that piercing scream, and we put her on a stool in the kitchen and let her sit there. She will scream for hours some days. There is NOTHING we can do to stop here, but putting her on ther makes the incidences less frequent. If we are in public, one of us will take her to a car, but if it's just her, what can she do?

..as long as you keep it at home so only you and your neighbors have tolerate the serenade. And if somebody gets belligerent about your squalling jewel in public.. keep in mind you and yours upset the expectation of peace and quiet.

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
Originally posted by: TXHokie
I've got 3 kids less than 5 so I know well about the tantrums. When in public and I see a session about to start up, the offending kid will be taken outside and get a stern talking to at eye level until he/she cools down. Ignoring the tantrum and subjecting people around you to your screaming kid is just bad parenting and being generally inconsiderate. Why do some people treat public places with people as if they're at home? I would not even have my relatives put up with my kids' rant much less a store full of strangers. 15 seconds of screaming is long enough much less 3 min. I'd give thumbs up to OP's friend but I would leave out the expletives in his outbust though.

3 under 5 is bad, but my Mother in law had 5 under the age of 3...try that one one for size. I have ONE under 5, and it's about all I can do some days not to scream like the OP's friend :D

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: rh71
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
You're an idiot. You are Mr Internet Tough Guy aren't you? I've told plenty of peoples kids to shut the fuck up. Not a single one of them has tried to harm me. You know why, because if it gets to the point where someone else does have to control your child, you're going to be to embarrassed to do anything but stand there and act like the little bitch you are.
Oh and your punching someone in the face because they told your kid to be quiet would land you in court and if you did break a nose or teeth, guess what, it's ag assault if you break bones/teeth and that my friend is a felony. And don't forget the lawsuit that the guy can and will bring against you.

You are not the center of the universe and neither are your kids. Control them otherwise someone else will.
^ plus performing an act of violence in front of your own child would be another bulletpoint in the parental guidebook right ? :D

I agree with the embarrassment point. YOU SHOULD BE EMBARRASSED.

I don't have kids yet, but if they are uncontrollable, I'd be embarrassed to bring them out in public. I can forget about eating out, etc. Find a sitter.

double edged sword there... how do you teach them proper public behavior if you never take them out in public? you need to expose them to the world to teach them both what not to do and things they can do. my kids arent perfect, but they do have a healthy dose of fearing the "wrath of dad" in those cases. i also got lucky with 3 great kids that listen fairly well.

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001

Put the merchandise down, go outside and handle it, and come back when the kid is calm? :confused:

my 2YO can scream at the top of her lungs for 2 hours until she looses her voice. NOTHING stops her once she gets going, except maybe giving in and giving her the candy she wanted, or getting her to sleep (she usually melts down if she didn't nap the day before/that day and/or didn't get much sleep that night).

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
Originally posted by: xboxist

How is that any different? You still take the child to the car. If you try to justify not doing so, you're at the very least being completely inconsiderate of everyone else around you. At the VERY least, put the goddamn cell phone away, and hustle you and your screaming child's ass through the store to get what you need and get out of there.

My wife wouldn't do what that lady did. We usually tag team shopping just for this reason, or I shop on the way home from work, specifically because our 2YO can make thing really hard in a hurry.

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
Originally posted by: IGBT

..as long as you keep it at home so only you and your neighbors have tolerate the serenade. And if somebody gets belligerent about your squalling jewel in public.. keep in mind you and yours upset the expectation of peace and quiet.

sorry, but if you go to the grocery store for peace and quiet, you need some help.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold
Originally posted by: MrLee
OK, this is one of the most disgusting "Look what a cool thing I did" threads I've ever read. KIDS DO THIS- IT'S THEIR JOB! Between 2-4 they yell, scream, hit, kick..anything to get what they want. There's no way around it. Your mister "more holy than thou" friend needs to be punched in the neck. :|

No way around it? Sounds like we've got the dad of that little brat right here guys.

OK, # of kids and thier ages.

3 kids 10, 8 and 7, the last 2 are only 13 months apart and they have NEVER displayed that kind of tantrum in public.

mine are 12, 10 and 10. they have all acted that way in a store at one point or another in their younger days. all before they were 5 tho. now they know better. im more likely to get a bulleted list of reasons why they should be able to get what they want now than a whaaaaah fest.

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
You guys missed the post about the kid being around 7ish? Its not like it was a toddler.

my 7 year old would NEVER get away with that in public. NEVER. She doesn't get away with that at home.

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005

My wife wouldn't do what that lady did. We usually tag team shopping just for this reason, or I shop on the way home from work, specifically because our 2YO can make thing really hard in a hurry.

People have more tolerance for a 2 y/o than a 7 y/o, don't you think? Even still, you're an a$$hole if you feel its ok to let your kid scream for 2 hours in the store "b/c doing something about it is just giving them what you want"

Like I keep saying... if your child is not going to be reigned in under control relatively quickly (i'd say ~ 1min) then the child should be taken outside or home until it is ready to come back. I've left entire grocery baskets at the counter (with apologies) b/c my daughter wouldn't stop throwing a tantrum when she was much younger. Its not right to force EVERYONE to listen to it FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME. Outburst happen, if they dont stop on their own in a short time do something about it before someone else loses their patience.

my 7 year old would NEVER get away with that in public. NEVER. She doesn't get away with that at home.

Then this wouldn't have happened to you, you got your kids in check. End of story. You've done well. :thumbsup:

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001

People have more tolerance for a 2 y/o than a 7 y/o, don't you think? Even still, you're an a$$hole if you feel its ok to let your kid scream for 2 hours in the store "b/c doing something about it is just giving them what you want"

Like I keep saying... if your child is not going to be reigned in under control relatively quickly (i'd say ~ 1min) then the child should be taken outside or home until it is ready to come back. I've left entire grocery baskets at the counter (with apologies) b/c my daughter wouldn't stop throwing a tantrum when she was much younger. Its not right to force EVERYONE to listen to it FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME. Outburst happen, if they dont stop on their own in a short time do something about it before someone else loses their patience.

Then this wouldn't have happened to you, you got your kids in check. End of story. You've done well. :thumbsup:

if one minute of a tantrum is an extended period of time, then 10 lbs of beef must be bulk, the plane would take off, and .99999 must equal 1.

Leaving a cart at the stand (meaning you are done) is a dumb way to do things. If it's at the beginning of shopping, sure, leave and come back. If it's at the end, just push through, most people there are reasonable and have had kids.

What if the kid was sick and she was there to get medicine from the pharmacy? I know my wife has taken the 2yo into the store for that reason, screaming like a banshee. She had no other option, and had someone done what your friend had done, they would have gotten their head stomped in quickly. If your friend can't handle 3 minutes of a kid, then he needs to grow up himself. The world does NOT exist for his pleasure, and things aren't always going to be rosy, quiet, and easy.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
I'm not going to read all of the thread, but why didn't your friend confront the manager of the store? If he decides to let this go on in his store, then your friend needs to STFU. If he doesn't like it, shop somewhere else.

Plain and simple, unless another person's child is putting someone else in a situation where they could cause grievous bodily harm, something extremely stupid possibly resulting in mass chaos or property destruction, or are conducting criminal activity (and this is even a stretch, because in many cases you should just call the police), you sure as hell don't discipline them.

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
Note that my opinion (in case anyone can't tell)

Bad parenting means call them out, they are tools and need to be told so. I have done so in the past.

Bad human tolerance for a normal thing (all kids do it eventually) means they are a tool, and should be called on it. I have stuck up for someone being an ass to a mother in the grocery store alone with a difficult child. It happens, deal with it and move on. Scream at anyones kid like that and I'll step up and call you on it, in public, in front of everyone.

I don't give a damn with either situation. Both often need someone to step up and tell the ADULT that something needs to change. Never yell at the kid, and don't back seat parent in your 3 minutes of seeing them. You have no idea about the past, what they are doing, or what they have done.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Originally posted by: IGBT

sorry, but if you go to the grocery store for peace and quiet, you need some help.

LOL. I agree. I could understand perhaps if you were at the library studying for finals or something and this happened but to go to the market and look for peace and quiet, you seriously need some help my friend.