Critical Race Theory Is The Left’s QAnon

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Also it’s amusing that the people who think Twitter banning them is a violation of free speech rights have no issue banning teachers from talking about ideas they don’t like.

To be fair, Schools are a public service / requirement. The curriculum is certainly up for public debate, critique, and ultimately... control. Is it not?

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
To be fair, Schools are a public service / requirement. The curriculum is certainly up for public debate, critique, and ultimately... control. Is it not?
There’s a decent argument that these bills violate the first amendment rights of teachers and are unconstitutional.

All that aside, my point was that if you think Twitter not letting you use Twitter is a violation of the first amendment then there’s no logical framework where you wouldn’t think censoring the speech of teachers is, yet conservatives are able to doublethink their way around it anyway.

Reactions: Pohemi

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Obsession, heh.... Top headline on Fox today:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/va-parent-survived-mao-critical-race-indoctrination-replay-maos-cultural-revolution
"VA parent who survived Mao: Scholastic critical race indoctrination 'a replay' of Mao's 'cultural revolution'"

Enjoy....?

The same is happening today in schools and other institutions, except it is based on White and non-White races, she noted.

lol lady people are alive today who went to legally segregated schools and all the folks who supported and might still support that watch the network you're appearing on

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
If you are going to spread racism you have to kill its critics before they gain traction. That’s what all this is about, demonize your opponent before they’ve had a chance to present their argument.

You know their arguments are bull shit because none of their talking points actually relate to critical race theory, an academic theory used in law schools, not k-12.

Watching the OP go mentally unstable has lost its fun when you think of all the people he’s probably hurt along the way.

VW MAN

Jun 27, 2020
Good to see a bunch of white people telling black people what their kids should know about race:

Like I said, this is running rampant - and across the country schools are trying to take it up and add it to their agendas.
Hey dim-bulb fuck-wit I will engage you in a good intellectual debate on this topic if you a) answer this question honestly, what did Neera Tanden do that was corrupt? And b) you act in good faith and use no bullshit alt-right q-cuck or otherwise dubious misinformation as your sources. What say you? You man enough to do this or will you keep crying that you cannot understand why no one takes you seriously? Ball is in your court!

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I don't really know what "critical race theory" is, and I suspect the OP doesn't either (any more than right-wingers know what "The Frankfurt School" or "Cultural Marxism" is when they rant about it).

Is it just "academic analysis of the history and nature of racism in the US"? That would be my limited understanding of what the term means, and I fail to see how that is in any way comparable with a crazy entirely-evidence-free conspiracy theory about elites harvesting adrenal glands of children.
Just read the Wikipedia and Britannica articles on CRT. They shed some light on the subject, but I can't say they lead me to any sort of understanding. The underlaying theme appears to be that everything is about white people maintaining dominance, and that appears to include liberal thinking and policies as well.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Just read the Wikipedia and Britannica articles on CRT. They shed some light on the subject, but I can't say they lead me to any sort of understanding. The underlaying theme appears to be that everything is about white people maintaining dominance, and that appears to include liberal thinking and policies as well.

I would hazard a guess you've done more research on it than all the people who are proposing to ban it from schools where it isn't even talked about.

Whole thing is just another smoke screen for more mandatory "patriotic" education to whitewash US history again.

Reactions: Pohemi and ch33zw1z
Nov 8, 2012
I would hazard a guess you've done more research on it than all the people who are proposing to ban it from schools where it isn't even talked about.

Whole thing is just another smoke screen for more mandatory "patriotic" education to whitewash US history again.

Ahhh the classic argument of "If you aren't in favor of it then you're racist" argument. Classic. C'mon you're of higher intelligence than that.

• Haha

VW MAN

Jun 27, 2020
Ahhh the classic argument of "If you aren't in favor of it then you're racist" argument. Classic. C'mon you're of higher intelligence than that.
Hey dim-bulb fuck-wit I will engage you in a good intellectual debate on this topic if you a) answer this question honestly, what did Neera Tanden do that was corrupt? And b) you act in good faith and use no bullshit alt-right q-cuck or otherwise dubious misinformation as your sources. What say you? You man enough to do this or will you keep crying that you cannot understand why no one takes you seriously? Ball is in your court!

I think you are gonna stay true to your nature and ignore this...typical fuckwad!

Mar 11, 2004
The conservative obsession with an obscure academic concept is just a stand in for something else far more familiar.

Don't forget the freakout about ebonics in the 90s.

It would be amusing seeing people claiming they're the least racist literally screaming about race every single chance they get if it wasn't for the fact that their behavior has directly led to harm and killing of black people.

I think you are gonna stay true to your nature and ignore this...typical fuckwad!

You're asking a duck to not quack.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Did the OP completely miss the word "THEORY" in Critical Race Theory? Aren't theories supposed to be debated in schools and universities?

I dunno, maybe if the racists/oops I mean people angry at being told their slaver forefathers were racist actually presented an alternative theory or poked valid holes all over CRT in a debate setting we could move on from this. Hell, it would be an easy layup to compare what Americans were doing with their white European counterparts and non-white counterparts and debunk the idea that America was "uniquely" racist at the time of it's founding. Instead it's censorship and FUD, as per usual with these clowns.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
These white Republicans getting their panties in a twist about something they can't even define.

Meanwhile these same white people blocked the teaching of the Tulsa massacre until 2002

More whitewashing of history. They can't even be honest about Jan 6 which was a few months ago. They don't want history taught accurately.

Anyone ever hear one of those trolls discuss exactly what CRT is?

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Did the OP completely miss the word "THEORY" in Critical Race Theory? Aren't theories supposed to be debated in schools and universities?

I dunno, maybe if the racists/oops I mean people angry at being told their slaver forefathers were racist actually presented an alternative theory or poked valid holes all over CRT in a debate setting we could move on from this. Hell, it would be an easy layup to compare what Americans were doing with their white European counterparts and non-white counterparts and debunk the idea that America was "uniquely" racist at the time of it's founding. Instead it's censorship and FUD, as per usual with these clowns.

That is one of the issues around critical race theory, is that some people try to apply it like the theory of gravity, and not a lens to view social issues.

For the ”super woke” so to say, white people can be immediately dismissed in conversation due to their race. If a white person says they are not racist, that is proof of them being even more racist. Nothing but a confession of being a white supremacist, a racist, am oppressor, etc is acceptable a la Maoist struggle sessions.

It is actually an attack on liberalism when you get into it. CRT is highly illiberal and contains some really, umm, interesting ideas.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
It isn't like qanon, and it isn't a conspiracy theory, but CRT contains a lot that is bunk.

What we are witnessing with these laws is a reactionary backlash which was largely spurred by the 1619 Project. CRT has been taught almost exclusively at a college level, but 1619 is aiming to bring it to K-12.

As a reminder, 1619 contains a large number of historically questionable assertions. Example: a claim is made that we went to war with Britain because it had recently banned slavery in the UK (but not in its colonies), and hence we went to war to avoid the banning of slavery. There is just one problem with this claim: there are zero writings - books, newspaper editorials, pamphlets, flyers, personal letters - giving this as a reason for the rebellion. While there are plenty of writings giving other reasons (e.g. "taxation without representation").

The truth is that slavery was already non-existent in the UK proper. So they banned it in order to claim a moral high ground but left it legal in their colonies because they were profiting from it hugely. Cheap cotton and tobacco - they weren't about to ban it in the colonies any time soon.

I don't like conservatives mucking around with course curricula and creating a chilling effect on instruction in schools, while trying to push their own ideological agenda for lessons in "patriotic history." Also, notice they haven't banned "lost cause" pseudo civil war history.

1619 - like defund the police - was another unforced error on the part of the left. It isn't historically sound. It's politicized history. It doesn't play well to the general public. And it's giving the right an excuse to exercise its own authoritarian tendencies.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

The OP would rather go back to Columbus discovered America. After all, native Americans don't count, at least to those who wrote that history. White people.

Reactions: dingster1

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It isn't like qanon, and it isn't a conspiracy theory, but CRT contains a lot that is bunk.

What we are witnessing with these laws is a reactionary backlash which was largely spurred by the 1619 Project. CRT has been taught almost exclusively at a college level, but 1619 is aiming to bring it to K-12.

As a reminder, 1619 contains a large number of historically questionable assertions. Example: a claim is made that we went to war with Britain because it had recently banned slavery in the UK (but not in its colonies), and hence we went to war to avoid the banning of slavery. There is just one problem with this claim: there are zero writings - books, newspaper editorials, pamphlets, flyers, personal letters - giving this as a reason for the rebellion. While there are plenty of writings giving other reasons (e.g. "taxation without representation").

The truth is that slavery was already non-existent in the UK proper. So they banned it in order to claim a moral high ground but left it legal in their colonies because they were profiting from it hugely. Cheap cotton and tobacco - they weren't about to ban it in the colonies any time soon.

I don't like conservatives mucking around with course curricula and creating a chilling effect on instruction in schools, while trying to push their own ideological agenda for lessons in "patriotic history." Also, notice they haven't banned "lost cause" pseudo civil war history.

1619 - like defund the police - was another unforced error on the part of the left. It isn't historically sound. It's politicized history. It doesn't play well to the general public. And it's giving the right an excuse to exercise its own authoritarian tendencies.
I disagree. It's simply an alternative take on history, the likes of which are made all the time. Maybe some parts of it are wrong, but who cares? Things in historical analysis are wrong all the time.

The idea that liberals shouldn't publish things because they will be seized upon by the right in some sort of bad way kind of ignores the fact that if it wasn't the 1619 project it would be something else - they don't actually care what the topic is.

We shouldn't let the irrationality of the political opposition censor people from publishing things.

Reactions: ivwshane

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I have mixed feelings on CRT. On one hand, it is at its core an anti-liberal philosophy that rejects liberal (with a small l) ideals of meritocracy under the presumption that due to white power structures, there is no meritocracy at all, which comes off as sort of circular.

As a brown person that is doing OK for themselves with plenty of white conservative and inherently good and decent co-workers, I can see how the language of CRT (and some of the less professional DEI training etc) causes chaffing in the tender parts.

But at the same time, a bunch of conservative white lawmakers and committee members go and ban CRT, which literally plays into the primary discourse of white power structures being employed to marginalize minority thought, which is a real knee slapper.

I don't agree with banning anything, all ideas should be subjected to public discourse , taught and freely vetted from all sides. If it's bunk,then it will work its own way out of the system one way or another.