Creators Update So What Do I Think

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
At least my clean install is behaving right now which is much better than what I had just a few days ago. I'm hoping to build a new computer later this year and when I do I hope to replace my hd's with ssd's which will have me doing this all over again. I've got myself a separate check sheet for my desktop and laptop that I can follow to ensure that I don't miss anything when I put my humpty dumpty back together again.:D

Zoinks

Oct 11, 1999
I've had more pleasant viruses. Spent the last hour trying to unf**k video and display drivers.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I've had more pleasant viruses. Spent the last hour trying to unf**k video and display drivers.

It's been smooth sailing for me since I finally got it right between 2nd and 3rd week April. All that time, I was doing web-searches about trouble with the new build. One thing I specifically remember: if one had trouble, uninstall the video drivers before attempting reinstall of #1703. Or rather -- anticipate this and uninstall the video drivers when you first install #1703.

I think I would've spent days and days -- maybe weeks -- longer, if I didn't have a solid imaging program that allows me to selectively restore my boot-system drive. The restoration may take as long as a clean Windows reinstallation, but then one doesn't have to individually reinstall drivers and programs and various tweaks to the system.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Didn't have any problems with it except my first startup would't display the screen properly until I unplugged my TV from the HDMI port on my GPU and then logged in via my DVI monitor and plugged in HDMI again. Works fine now. The missing control panel option from the Win+X menu is annoying because I used it often, I ended up pinning control panel to the start menu. I absolutely dislike the settings app they want us to use. I prefer accessing the control panels. I do not like the number of clicks they want me to take to switch my sound output from my AVR to my headphones and back. Sure I could click the windows icon and type sound and pull up the sound control panel that way but I don't always have my keyboard in front of me when I'm gaming with an Xbox One controller and I could just use a mouse real quick to switch the output to my headphones real quick instead of pulling over my keyboard. It isn't the only control panel I like having access to though.

They bury advanced settings so people can't access them accidentally but at the same time frustrate users who know what they are doing and have a reason to be going deep into the settings. They really need an "I'm not an idiot, give me the advanced options" mode that would expand the settings to allow more options on the first page so we don't have to click through 3 or 4 windows to find an elusive setting we need to change. I get they they want to kill off the control panel completely in favor of the settings app, but they don't give advanced users enough control up front where they can easily find it.

Last edited:

Zoinks

Oct 11, 1999
First PC, lost one monitor, had to reinstall drivers for the other. Still can't get video out on monitor one despite reinstalling video drivers and changing cable.

Second PC, screen saver won't start and mouse wheel stuck in low-speed down. How it is Microsoft can't master the screen saver in 2017!?

Thank you for letting me vent...

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Didn't have any problems with it except my first startup would't display the screen properly until I unplugged my TV from the HDMI port on my GPU and then logged in via my DVI monitor and plugged in HDMI again. Works fine now. The missing control panel option from the Win+X menu is annoying because I used it often, I ended up pinning control panel to the start menu. I absolutely dislike the settings app they want us to use. I prefer accessing the control panels. I do not like the number of clicks they want me to take to switch my sound output from my AVR to my headphones and back. Sure I could click the windows icon and type sound and pull up the sound control panel that way but I don't always have my keyboard in front of me when I'm gaming with an Xbox One controller and I could just use a mouse real quick to switch the output to my headphones real quick instead of pulling over my keyboard. It isn't the only control panel I like having access to though.

They bury advanced settings so people can't access them accidentally but at the same time frustrate users who know what they are doing and have a reason to be going deep into the settings. They really need an "I'm not an idiot, give me the advanced options" mode that would expand the settings to allow more options on the first page so we don't have to click through 3 or 4 windows to find an elusive setting we need to change. I get they they want to kill off the control panel completely in favor of the settings app, but they don't give advanced users enough control up front where they can easily find it.
In post #17 I linked a fix to the missing right click on start/missing control panel shortcut. I also had been using it since it was introduced in 8.1 and was dismayed that Microsoft decided to remove it in favor of the settings option. The link I provided does come with some caveats though so if you decide you want the Control Panel back on right click make sure you read the beginning of the thread and the end of the thread.
colurFr.png

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Who's not using Classic Shell?

cmdrdredd is absolutely correct in how the design of the OS and GUI caters to folks in the mainstream who don't like the maintenance or confusing advanced features.

I despised the chiclet startup menu, and even the startup menu's organization. I can swing back and forth between "classic" windows startup appearance and the default "Millennial" eye-candy.

I also despise all this preoccupation with the "App Store" and built-in "Apps" I wouldn't have wanted. It all looks like a collection of advertisements.

"Classic Shell" allowed me to see how Win 10 performance is a worthy improvement, and work in win 10 as if I were still using Win 7. So now I'm more or less a Win 10 "fan" and at least I don't whine about losing Win 7.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
In post #17 I linked a fix to the missing right click on start/missing control panel shortcut. I also had been using it since it was introduced in 8.1 and was dismayed that Microsoft decided to remove it in favor of the settings option. The link I provided does come with some caveats though so if you decide you want the Control Panel back on right click make sure you read the beginning of the thread and the end of the thread.
colurFr.png

I read elsewhere that they would just patch this out so you couldn't add it at all so I decided to pin it instead.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Who's not using Classic Shell?

cmdrdredd is absolutely correct in how the design of the OS and GUI caters to folks in the mainstream who don't like the maintenance or confusing advanced features.

I despised the chiclet startup menu, and even the startup menu's organization. I can swing back and forth between "classic" windows startup appearance and the default "Millennial" eye-candy.

I also despise all this preoccupation with the "App Store" and built-in "Apps" I wouldn't have wanted. It all looks like a collection of advertisements.

"Classic Shell" allowed me to see how Win 10 performance is a worthy improvement, and work in win 10 as if I were still using Win 7. So now I'm more or less a Win 10 "fan" and at least I don't whine about losing Win 7.

It's clear they are using windows the same way they use an Xbox. It's a platform they can make money off of consistently. Everything being an app means they can charge fees. Heck, when I saw that to enable Dolby Atmos audio on windows 10 you need to download dolby's app and run through a step by step setup guide rather than simply being able to select Atmos audio output and go, I knew exactly where this was going. What's more is Atmos for headphones requires an in app purchase to enable lol. It really is quite sad.

I like the start menu and don't use any 3rd party programs to alter the basic look and feel of win10 but they should still offer the option of having more advanced options and control for those of us who are building our computers and/or know what we are doing when we poke around.

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
I had not had an issues personally when I upgraded to it. I have done so through the last 3 updates i think, or maybe the last two.

Anyway I agree about the Settings app vs Control Panel. I wish they would keep both and the Setting app would be for 90% of people which would be fine, but for the other 10% and advanced users they should keep the CP. Or alternatively as we know they are moving away from CP, have an Advanced mode in the Settings App, that will un-hide most of the advanced stuff

But then I guess you get into what is "advanced stuff" vs normal stuff....... man there is no winning. Just keep the CP

Reactions: cmdrdredd

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I've been having a rather mixed bag. I have quite a few PCs around the house, and I've upgraded pretty much all of them to the Creators Update -- or just installed it on there fresh. (I create USBs for all the major updates.) I haven't had a single problem with any of my HTPCs. I've also upgraded my Surface 4 Pro along with my MSI laptop, and they haven't shown any sort of issues. Although, my main desktop has been another story, and I may need to do some extra testing on the MSI laptop.

I finally got around to doing the Creators Update on my desktop this past weekend, and things had been going fairly well... until I got a 0x1000007E BSOD the other day. Now, I didn't think much of it, because for some reason, I can never get that desktop to be 100% stable. I've literally replaced every part in it, and once every few months, either the system would lock up or it would BSOD. Anyway, that made me not think much of the BSOD, but when I went home yesterday, things were a lot worse.

First of all, I've been seeing this weird problem where my monitors try to go to sleep, but their backlight never turns off. It's kind of like Windows blacks out the screen, but forgets to finish the entire sleep process. Because of that, I turn off the monitors instead. I turned them on last night, and it was doing the same thing where the backlight was still on; however, when I wiggled the mouse, nothing happened. I ended up having to shut the machine off "the wrong way", and when I turned it back on, my second monitor refused to come up. I tried pretty much everything from swapping ports on the video card, swapping cables, using a brand new cable, but nothing worked. I did a little research on the net, and someone said to unplug the monitor (not just turn it off) for a little bit, and plug it back in. That seemed to work fine. However, I remoted into my desktop a little bit ago, and my second monitor, which is normally available during remote sessions, is gone again. :confused:

Unfortunately, this isn't my only issue. It seems that the Creators Update also messes with your drivers, and if there's one thing that I hate about Windows Update is that it always does this hackneyed job at installing updates. I'm fine with it installing basic stuff like gamepads, but I really don't like much else. I went onto my PC this morning, and it just felt awfully sluggish. I opened up the Task Manager, and I had 99% memory usage. In other words, I've got a memory leak somewhere! I did a bit of searching, and it is yet again an issue with MSI's Killer Network drivers. I say that because I had a problem with this a while ago, and I had to do a driver update to fix it. Well, I was on a good driver, but the Creators Update decided to change my driver to a bad one. Moral of the story? Just buy Intel NICs, or heck, even Realtek, over Killer Networking.

At this point, I'm not entirely sure what I want to do. I'm tempted to just reinstall Windows 10 as the Creators Update and manually install all the drivers. (I've also seen some weird behavior with the audio.)

Hugh Jass

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2011
It's clear they are using windows the same way they use an Xbox. It's a platform they can make money off of consistently. Everything being an app means they can charge fees. Heck, when I saw that to enable Dolby Atmos audio on windows 10 you need to download dolby's app and run through a step by step setup guide rather than simply being able to select Atmos audio output and go, I knew exactly where this was going. What's more is Atmos for headphones requires an in app purchase to enable lol. It really is quite sad.

Imagine that...a company actually wants to make as much money as possible.

Wow.

AkulaMD

May 20, 2017
I have updated two of my PC (one desktop and one laptop). It seems to be running fine on my Desktop, Lenovo H30-00 Pentium J2900 (Bay Trail-D) with 8GB of RAM.

But it isn't running too well on my laptop, Acer ES1-432-P2CG Pentium N4200 (Apollo Lake) with 4GB of RAM. Around 30-40% of the time my web browsers (could happen to any of the browsers) would just stop responding after it has been opened for less than a minute and I can't seem to be able to end all tasks that was related to the browser. I managed to end some of the task, but not all. Thus the browser would just stay unresponsive.

The only options available to me is to just wait for about 10 minutes or more for the browser to become responsive again of to just reboot the laptop.

Any of you guys experiencing the same issue?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I have updated two of my PC (one desktop and one laptop). It seems to be running fine on my Desktop, Lenovo H30-00 Pentium J2900 (Bay Trail-D) with 8GB of RAM.

But it isn't running too well on my laptop, Acer ES1-432-P2CG Pentium N4200 (Apollo Lake) with 4GB of RAM. Around 30-40% of the time my web browsers (could happen to any of the browsers) would just stop responding after it has been opened for less than a minute and I can't seem to be able to end all tasks that was related to the browser. I managed to end some of the task, but not all. Thus the browser would just stay unresponsive.

The only options available to me is to just wait for about 10 minutes or more for the browser to become responsive again of to just reboot the laptop.

Any of you guys experiencing the same issue?

I had that problem. It would seem to occur especially if I opened pages of a particularly well-known reseller. And the pages of that site would stall, perpetually "loading" material on different parts of the page. Occasionally, the browser would become unresponsive, and I had to terminate through Task Manager. Also, it seemed I had these problems at different times with both EDGE and Internet Explorer.

After I upgraded to Build 1703, these problems disappeared.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Imagine that...a company actually wants to make as much money as possible.

Wow.

Way to miss the point. They are no longer selling the software. They are exploiting your usage of it instead and selling a service. The distinction is important and means you are losing control to them.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Way to miss the point. They are no longer selling the software. They are exploiting your usage of it instead and selling a service. The distinction is important and means you are losing control to them.

You are right and I personally wish that it would Not be like this.

But... Apple is giving OSX for free and keep updateding for free the way they wish to.

Linux /Android/and the likes, do the same..

That opens a good Windows of opportunity to all the ""Drama Kings"" to band together and design a new OS they way they like too.

:cool:

AkulaMD

May 20, 2017
I had that problem. It would seem to occur especially if I opened pages of a particularly well-known reseller. And the pages of that site would stall, perpetually "loading" material on different parts of the page. Occasionally, the browser would become unresponsive, and I had to terminate through Task Manager. Also, it seemed I had these problems at different times with both EDGE and Internet Explorer.

After I upgraded to Build 1703, these problems disappeared.
I never face the problem until I upgraded two of my PC to Build 1703 (Creators Update) as what I shared in my previous comment.

And only one (laptop) of my two upgraded PC facing the issue until now. The other one (Desktop) never face such issue.

Hugh Jass

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2011

Didn't miss the point at all.

They are using Windows to make money...which is the purpose of a business...hence my post.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
I just updated the Toshiba laptop yesterday to Windows 10 Version 1703 Build 15063.332 .. went relatively good, but very slow (took almost 2 hours to do) ... Then I had to mess with some settings that the update put in. Like disabling Windows Defender, removing it's icon from startup in the system tray, removing the Mail quick launch icon, have Classic Shell reset itself to see the menus and also run Winaerotweaker to change the Font Family and Font Size for the Icon Fonts ... otherwise okay so far