Creators Update So What Do I Think

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Previously, the day I made the update from the MS website, I couldn't get it to install in Windows Update as-is: it would stall at 0%. So I downloaded it from MS........

The 1703 update added another partition/volume stub to the 960 Pro -- a "Recovery" partition of about 500MB....

And every time I would boot into Win 10, it would put a brief message at screen bottom about "Diagnosing and repairing disk" with a "{XXXX . . . . -XXXX}" string that looks like a Class-ID or App_ID and "Disk Volume N." That would quickly disappear to an otherwise uneventful boot to Win 10. This is not normal.

Mr Duck,
I too had no luck d/l through WU. Was taking forever so I went with the upgrade assistant which downloads the entire file then installs it. Nice.
But your configuration begs FUBAR. The install of this upgrade and the Anniversary one are major OS installations with Several Reboots and major file installs. As you well know, the most common advice we see for Windblows OS installs is to have only one on line disk at the time. Now I suspect your disk configuration fell prey to the problems that can arise when Windows has to chose between accessible drives. The creation on an unnecessary partition speaks to this issue and seems like the source of the boot problems.

I have three online OS drives. The Anniversary Update caught me by suprise so I had not disabled the non boot disks before the install. Windows then put partitions all over the place. Not nice.

This time I was prepared and disabled the non boot disks prior to letting set up begin. No problemo.

I too have seen disk check scan my drives but I suspect that happens the first time the OS boots from a disk.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Bonzaiduck
Can you not use a virtual machine ?
I am saving up for a new Ryzen based system with at least 6 cores(I finally decided). And i do that so , i can use vmware to run old windows versions for programs that i for some reason cannot get to run under W10 because they are too old.
Also, some programs just dig into the os way too much for my liking and break other programs. So for those programs i use a virtual machine. No option for you ?

It isn't as though I avoided exploring VM -- hypervisor, VMWare, etc. I think it was around 1999 that I had experimented instead with a multi-boot utility. I concluded that I didn't need a multi-boot system, and did not explore even that branch of an options-tree any further. So the idea of VM also seemed unnecessary for me.

If you have any links our sources where I can become more familiar with that VM landscape, I would appreciate it.

Now I am wondering if I didn't back myself into a corner with Windows 10 the way I installed it. Like everything else, I tailor my choices to the "evolution" of my custom network configuration. When I first set up a LAN for my systems 15 years ago, it was all "peer-to-peer," and now it has those features without "HomeGroup" with passworded access and security levels across the LAN. Right now, all the W7 systems are backed up nightly to a WHS-2011 (2008 R2) server.

So -- when I installed Windows 10, I chose the "business" model over the consumer approach. In the latter, MS "helps" you configure an account and password under "Microsoft account." But in my LAN, I configure accounts and passwords in the traditional way. In arriving at the former configuration, MS asks you if you "own" your computer or if it is part of a business -- something like that. Choosing this "I don't own my computer" allows one to avoid that Microsoft account hook-up, and continue doing things as I'd done before.

Now I discover that there is a deployment issue about "defer updates" in corporate situations using something called SCCM. there is much more reading I need to do.

Meanwhile, after my disaster with Build 1703 and as I already said, I restored the entire system from my April 14 Macrium image. Everything is wonderful again, except that Windows Update is stuck on "0% downloaded" of "Windows 10 Creators Update Privacy Settings for x64-based Systems (KB4013214)." This was the situation that prompted me to grab the Creators Update from MS and install it, leading to my troubles I'd mentioned.

There were other "details" of misery that I didn't like: MS changed my "Secure Boot" settings in BIOS after installing Build 1703. I must have selected the wrong option on the blue-screen when Windows says you have problems and cannot boot. So, initially, it would not boot into Win 7 under the dual-boot. I was lucky that I discovered the source of that problem quickly. I had to delete my Platform Key again, disabling Secure Boot.

I think my next step will be an experiment to see if I can divorce Windows 7 from the current configuration and still come back with a stable system. But supposedly, the only thing I should need to do is delete Win 7 from the msconfig "Boot" tab, and it will revert to a single-boot system. And if it does that successfully, I can then delete -- or keep -- the Win 7 system partition for use later, and I should be able to restore dual-boot. If that fails, I again restore the most recent image of what I have now, and decide how further to proceed.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I haven't updated mine yet as I really don't enjoy booting into Windows these days.

There's the hammering of the network and ssd that goes on for ages after boot and the general bloatedness of the OS. I'll probably keep the windows partition but I spend my time either in android or mint now if I've got a choice.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Mr Duck,
I too had no luck d/l through WU. Was taking forever so I went with the upgrade assistant which downloads the entire file then installs it. Nice.
But your configuration begs FUBAR. The install of this upgrade and the Anniversary one are major OS installations with Several Reboots and major file installs. As you well know, the most common advice we see for Windblows OS installs is to have only one on line disk at the time. Now I suspect your disk configuration fell prey to the problems that can arise when Windows has to chose between accessible drives. The creation on an unnecessary partition speaks to this issue and seems like the source of the boot problems.

I have three online OS drives. The Anniversary Update caught me by suprise so I had not disabled the non boot disks before the install. Windows then put partitions all over the place. Not nice.

This time I was prepared and disabled the non boot disks prior to letting set up begin. No problemo.

I too have seen disk check scan my drives but I suspect that happens the first time the OS boots from a disk.

thanks for your insights to this, so that I see I am not alone. In my post just previous to this, I suggested how I might proceed by deleting Win 7 and dual-boot, and I can always restore the system again until it's successful.

The main things I worry about as I contemplate going forward are choices I've made all along that might dead-end my efforts.

I didn't get stuff scattered all over my non-boot disks, but the Update 1703 DID create an additional "stub" partition for "Recovery."

Frankly, at this point, now that I see the issues before me, and my choices of how I configure this system on my LAN, I'm inclined to sacrifice my Win 7 partition. And as I said, by swapping disks in and out, I can restore it under something like a VMWare regime if I feel the need. But getting Win 7 set up when I built this system was a serious pain in the ass: special problems with USB3 drivers, need for a slipstreamed W7 install disc, the UEFI and Secure Boot hurdles -- all of it.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Meanwhile, after my disaster with Build 1703 and as I already said, I restored the entire system from my April 14 Macrium image. Everything is wonderful again, except that Windows Update is stuck on "0% downloaded" of "Windows 10 Creators Update Privacy Settings for x64-based Systems (KB4013214)." This was the situation that prompted me to grab the Creators Update from MS and install it, leading to my troubles I'd mentioned.
Windows may have issued a fail log that will suggest why the upgrade is not proceeding. If you have more than one disk on line I would disable it (them) in UEFI . That might get WU going.
Then you have the dual OS drive to deal with.
Time for a drink.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Well, I don't want to take anyone's time, but I'm spending a lot of my own quite a bit as I sort through this problem.

Saving the dual-boot system may be more difficult the upgrade than temporarily disabling it. That is, I can keep the "system reserved" and Win 7 Boot "C :" volume, but unhinge it from the dual-boot menu. If I do all of this properly, I should be able to eventually delete them, or restore them. Maybe the restoration could be done with Macrium or it could be done with EasyBCD.

When you build a system, you can keep notes. Sometimes, they are incomplete, but it's always a hassle. So it's easy to say "I don't want to go through that installation nightmare again." One may have invested a lot of time in both the hardware and software configuration. If Event Logs are any indication, and considering that one may have burned up a day or more in research and contemplation directed at a particular Error red-bang in the logs that isn't benign, it gives one pause in deciding whether to continue trying to massage and rescue an installation that is in every other way stellar, or to start from scratch -- inventory of drivers stored to an accessible location, reinstalling everything from chipset to USB3 controller. I'm stuck on rescue of existing installation.

It appears to me now that the process of deleting the older OS from dual-boot so the result is a bootable-Win10 has some details I overlooked. I must determine that the bootloader or bootmgr is moved to the partition/volume of the preferred remaining OS.

To do this, I need the tool EasyBCD. Once that is done, I think I can delete Win 7 from the boot menu through MSConfig->Boot-tab, and delete the main Win 7 system volume and probably the 100MB "system reserved."

So far, I see that bootmgr is already located on the Win 10 Boot volume, and I suppose I can go through all the motions to explore without change so I'm confident about moving forward. the Win 10 boot volume with it's "C :" drive letter under a Win 10 session appears to be the "active" partition/volume already, because I see it with the little blue flag in some dialogs.

Also, I chose to create an 8GB Pagefile on a non-OS disk. I can delete that pagefile temporarily. I have a "Program Files (x86)" and "Program Files" directory-pair on this non-OS volume, but it is all for Steam games, Corel Draw, Cyberlink, Hauppauge WinTV8, and the three versions of X-Plane -- 9, 10, and 11. This latter triplet apparently has nothing to do with the registry, doesn't add to "Program Files [x86]," and simply runs from a shortcut to the main EXE file. You can run each of all three on the same system.

The only thing to watch out for would be Cyberlink, which -- like Roxio or similar media and burning suites -- creates some active running processes at boot time. I think I would only get message boxes of "failed to load" or something, but it wouldn't affect anything. Of course, I could simply restore today's backup of that drive to a new, temporary partition on my boot disk and make sure it gets the right drive label. Then I could unhinge the HDD that contains those folders at the moment.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
I know but I'm not a huge fan of desktop icons....I know it's crazy but it is just one of those little quarks that I have. I like a nice clean desktop with no icons.

Wouldn't like this then
Untitled2.jpg

May 11, 2008
It isn't as though I avoided exploring VM -- hypervisor, VMWare, etc. I think it was around 1999 that I had experimented instead with a multi-boot utility. I concluded that I didn't need a multi-boot system, and did not explore even that branch of an options-tree any further. So the idea of VM also seemed unnecessary for me.

If you have any links our sources where I can become more familiar with that VM landscape, I would appreciate it.

Now I am wondering if I didn't back myself into a corner with Windows 10 the way I installed it. Like everything else, I tailor my choices to the "evolution" of my custom network configuration. When I first set up a LAN for my systems 15 years ago, it was all "peer-to-peer," and now it has those features without "HomeGroup" with passworded access and security levels across the LAN. Right now, all the W7 systems are backed up nightly to a WHS-2011 (2008 R2) server.

So -- when I installed Windows 10, I chose the "business" model over the consumer approach. In the latter, MS "helps" you configure an account and password under "Microsoft account." But in my LAN, I configure accounts and passwords in the traditional way. In arriving at the former configuration, MS asks you if you "own" your computer or if it is part of a business -- something like that. Choosing this "I don't own my computer" allows one to avoid that Microsoft account hook-up, and continue doing things as I'd done before.

Now I discover that there is a deployment issue about "defer updates" in corporate situations using something called SCCM. there is much more reading I need to do.

There were other "details" of misery that I didn't like: MS changed my "Secure Boot" settings in BIOS after installing Build 1703. I must have selected the wrong option on the blue-screen when Windows says you have problems and cannot boot. So, initially, it would not boot into Win 7 under the dual-boot. I was lucky that I discovered the source of that problem quickly. I had to delete my Platform Key again, disabling Secure Boot.

I think my next step will be an experiment to see if I can divorce Windows 7 from the current configuration and still come back with a stable system. But supposedly, the only thing I should need to do is delete Win 7 from the msconfig "Boot" tab, and it will revert to a single-boot system. And if it does that successfully, I can then delete -- or keep -- the Win 7 system partition for use later, and I should be able to restore dual-boot. If that fails, I again restore the most recent image of what I have now, and decide how further to proceed.

I downloaded vmware from here :
https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/free#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_workstation_player/12_0

This should help out with questions about vmware :
http://pubs.vmware.com/player-12-windows/index.jsp

I should note, vmware has graphics hardware acceleration and it works but not for one program that i use. For that program to function, i need to turn graphics hardware acceleration off.
I have run an old game or two in a windows xp vmware that i have. And a friend of mine often uses vmware to play old games as well.
I mostly use vmware to install bloated ide for microcontrollers. Each vmware image starts as a virgin vmware image. I have for example a xilinx WEBPACK ICE and i run it in a virtual machine to keep my host clean. I also have Microchip ide based on netbeans i think and i also keep it on a separate vmware image. Messy programs that slow down windows i always install like this.
Also, when you are not sure what a program does, you can use an isolated vmware image to test it.

And even on my 4 core piledriver apu there is no difference in speed between running a program on the host or running that same program in a virtual machine. I do have to say, that the piledriver family has very good virtualization support. I think that all i7 have virtualization support as well. But not all i5 and i3 processors have support, at least for as far as i know and it is good to always check because it will help in performance and stability a lot. I never had any crashes or weird behavior so far. I am actually amazed how well vmware runs as free player. The commercial version allows you to easily create virtual machines from your existing installations that you would like to have virtualized.

I do have to note, at work for temporary backup purposes i created a virtual machine from the windows 7 installation i have. But since the virtual machine hardware is different from the host hardware, windows 7 started to complain that it was not genuine while it still has an official windows 7 license. The hardware is different and it needed reactivation. Since i only used it for temporary use making the switch easier from W7 to W10 and in the case i forgot to install something, i can look in the W7 virtual machine to see what steps i had to take. Stuff like settings and configurations of programs. Now since i use W10, i still have the virtual machine at work. But i honestly never use it anymore. But since i have enough HDD space , i just keep it around in case i need it.

VMware supports shared folders. A folder on your host, can be mapped as network drive in the vmware image os (at least in windows). And you can set read and write permissions for it as well.
vmware also supports network but i never used that before.
Because i run an old windows xp that is no longer supported with security fixes, i have network support disabled and i only use shared folder mapped as network drive option. If i need to use the internet, i just mouse to the host and use my browser there.

Hope my experience helps a bit.

More links :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_virtualization

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/GPU120AMDRVICPUsHyperVWin8.aspx

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005486.html

edit:
I almost forgot :
free vmware vcenter allows you to convert existing physical machines to virtual machines.
https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/evalcenter?p=converter

Documentation:
https://www.vmware.com/go/converter-user-guide

Last edited:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I downloaded vmware from here :
https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/free#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_workstation_player/12_0

This should help out with questions about vmware :
http://pubs.vmware.com/player-12-windows/index.jsp

I should note, vmware has graphics hardware acceleration and it works but not for one program that i use. For that program to function, i need to turn graphics hardware acceleration off.
I have run an old game or two in a windows xp vmware that i have. And a friend of mine often uses vmware to play old games as well.
I mostly use vmware to install bloated ide for microcontrollers. Each vmware image starts as a virgin vmware image. I have for example a xilinx WEBPACK ICE and i run it in a virtual machine to keep my host clean. I also have Microchip ide based on netbeans i think and i also keep it on a separate vmware image. Messy programs that slow down windows i always install like this.
Also, when you are not sure what a program does, you can use an isolated vmware image to test it.

And even on my 4 core piledriver apu there is no difference in speed between running a program on the host or running that same program in a virtual machine. I do have to say, that the piledriver family has very good virtualization support. I think that all i7 have virtualization support as well. But not all i5 and i3 processors have support, at least for as far as i know and it is good to always check because it will help in performance and stability a lot. I never had any crashes or weird behavior so far. I am actually amazed how well vmware runs as free player. The commercial version allows you to easily create virtual machines from your existing installations that you would like to have virtualized.

I do have to note, at work for temporary backup purposes i created a virtual machine from the windows 7 installation i have. But since the virtual machine hardware is different from the host hardware, windows 7 started to complain that it was not genuine while it still has an official windows 7 license. The hardware is different and it needed reactivation. Since i only used it for temporary use making the switch easier from W7 to W10 and in the case i forgot to install something, i can look in the W7 virtual machine to see what steps i had to take. Stuff like settings and configurations of programs. Now since i use W10, i still have the virtual machine at work. But i honestly never use it anymore. But since i have enough HDD space , i just keep it around in case i need it.

VMware supports shared folders. A folder on your host, can be mapped as network drive in the vmware image os (at least in windows). And you can set read and write permissions for it as well.
vmware also supports network but i never used that before.
Because i run an old windows xp that is no longer supported with security fixes, i have network support disabled and i only use shared folder mapped as network drive option. If i need to use the internet, i just mouse to the host and use my browser there.

Hope my experience helps a bit.

More links :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_virtualization

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/GPU120AMDRVICPUsHyperVWin8.aspx

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005486.html

edit:
I almost forgot :
free vmware vcenter allows you to convert existing physical machines to virtual machines.
https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/evalcenter?p=converter

Documentation:
https://www.vmware.com/go/converter-user-guide

I'm saving your post and links in a PDF for further reference. In the current thread I myself started indicating I thought my dual-boot days were coming to an end, I believe I've solved my obstacle for doing it through Windows Update -- installing Build 1703, that is. I think I will soon have the dual-boot fully updated and dual-bootable. But I will give VMWare some of my attention, just to get more comfortable with the idea. And it's an idea that's been around for a couple decades, so I should really look into it a bit more.

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
I am using Hyper V to run an old program on XP. Just for the hell of it I also have Win 7 on another Virtual machine

May 11, 2008
I'm saving your post and links in a PDF for further reference. In the current thread I myself started indicating I thought my dual-boot days were coming to an end, I believe I've solved my obstacle for doing it through Windows Update -- installing Build 1703, that is. I think I will soon have the dual-boot fully updated and dual-bootable. But I will give VMWare some of my attention, just to get more comfortable with the idea. And it's an idea that's been around for a couple decades, so I should really look into it a bit more.

Do not forget to install vmware tools in the guest os. These are drivers and enhancements that are handy for performance issues and utilities.
:)

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Do not forget to install vmware tools in the guest os. These are drivers and enhancements that are handy for performance issues and utilities.
:)

What you hotshot IT youngsters don't understand is that I'm 70 and a shadow of my former self. I plod through my computer projects at what seems like a snail's pace. I lie around for days on the sofa planning each step with anal-retentive detail before I start anything. If I could "ease" into a VMWare configuration without damage to what I now have with my Skylake or maybe the older system, I'll have to investigate further.

But meanwhile, it now appears that I've got Build 1703 without any of the troubles some others have mentioned in this forum. I've got it with perfectly-functioning dual-boot with Win 7, and expect a test of active hibernate-after-sleep to be successful.

Also, you can find me by my Anand handle over at the Romex Software forums for PrimoCache tech support. Guess what? A small Student's T sample of Primo users there are reporting the symptoms I've experienced with the Build 1703 installation. There may even be a benign "drive anomaly" that Win 10 build-1703 throws up at boot time, pertaining to the non-NTFS, non-standard SSD caching volume on my 960 Pro. The others at the Romex forum are reporting the same thing.

I've got some experiments to do, and I've got a good drive image of the current configuration and the one that was made before recreating the SSD-cache. It may make a difference if I can take the SSD-cache off of the dual-boot-system disk and put it on a 250GB 960 EVO I have sitting here. I'm going to try that soon.

But Build 1703 seems to be pretty slick, as far as comparing to the older builds. I've quoted it before: The 1980s TV series "Crime Story" -- Ray Lucca, the bad guy, says "I'm back! I'm ba-ud! I'm on top! You wing-tip Bozos don't have nuthin' on me!"

I shudder to think how this "Upgrade to Creators Update Build 1703" plays out for the millions of mainstreamers out there. You should find them hiding in their closets, clutching their cell-phones, and typing with their thumbs.

They AL-ways type with their thumbs . . . .

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
When I look at event viewer I see reoccurring errors for seemingly innocent items. I've also noticed dhcp disconnects that I don't recall seeing before and the DISM tool will report repairable errors but will not allow you to mount a wim to repair them with. Perhaps MS will release a CU to correct for some of these oddities.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
Any upgrade that installs smoothly and doesn't mess up the pc is a plus. So I'm ok with it so far. May take time to dig deeper in functions to see how well it works overall.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Any upgrade that installs smoothly and doesn't mess up the pc is a plus. So I'm ok with it so far. May take time to dig deeper in functions to see how well it works overall.

My upgrade went smooth tonight, right now I'm cleaning up my old system files ie Windows.old and all the leftover crap which is 30GB or so on my PC.

Nowadays in my old age, if it installs fine and I have no issues then I'm a happy camper as they say.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
wow that is a lot of leftovers! Is the best way to do this to use disk cleanup or do you just manually delete the windows.old folder?

My upgrade went smooth tonight, right now I'm cleaning up my old system files ie Windows.old and all the leftover crap which is 30GB or so on my PC.

Nowadays in my old age, if it installs fine and I have no issues then I'm a happy camper as they say.

May 11, 2008
What you hotshot IT youngsters don't understand is that I'm 70 and a shadow of my former self. I plod through my computer projects at what seems like a snail's pace. I lie around for days on the sofa planning each step with anal-retentive detail before I start anything. If I could "ease" into a VMWare configuration without damage to what I now have with my Skylake or maybe the older system, I'll have to investigate further.

But meanwhile, it now appears that I've got Build 1703 without any of the troubles some others have mentioned in this forum. I've got it with perfectly-functioning dual-boot with Win 7, and expect a test of active hibernate-after-sleep to be successful.

Also, you can find me by my Anand handle over at the Romex Software forums for PrimoCache tech support. Guess what? A small Student's T sample of Primo users there are reporting the symptoms I've experienced with the Build 1703 installation. There may even be a benign "drive anomaly" that Win 10 build-1703 throws up at boot time, pertaining to the non-NTFS, non-standard SSD caching volume on my 960 Pro. The others at the Romex forum are reporting the same thing.

I've got some experiments to do, and I've got a good drive image of the current configuration and the one that was made before recreating the SSD-cache. It may make a difference if I can take the SSD-cache off of the dual-boot-system disk and put it on a 250GB 960 EVO I have sitting here. I'm going to try that soon.

But Build 1703 seems to be pretty slick, as far as comparing to the older builds. I've quoted it before: The 1980s TV series "Crime Story" -- Ray Lucca, the bad guy, says "I'm back! I'm ba-ud! I'm on top! You wing-tip Bozos don't have nuthin' on me!"

I shudder to think how this "Upgrade to Creators Update Build 1703" plays out for the millions of mainstreamers out there. You should find them hiding in their closets, clutching their cell-phones, and typing with their thumbs.

They AL-ways type with their thumbs . . . .

Thanks for calling me a hotshot. :)
But i am not young or an IT guy.
I just learn as i go.
There will be always some strange issue with so many hardware configurations. And windows itself is not small either. I can imagine that from time to time something strange can happen.
That SSD caching could be it. I never use those kinds of features. I also do not use superfetch and that kind of stuff. Disabling it is the first thing i do after an installation or update.
I have a fast (sata) ssd to not need to use such caching systems. I do am planning for a 960 pro ssd as well for my future upgrade... So, i might run into similar issues as you have come to encounter.

But that typing with a thumb i cannot do either. I press 3 keys at once every time. It must be fun for young people seeing me type on my smartphone with one index finger.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Experienced kernel-power failures on 2 different machines after Creator updates. o_O

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
My second Win10 PC (Laptop) updated fine to Creators version, Creators upgrade was not showing in WU so I got the upgrade link straight from Microsoft's website and it went smooth, so two for two on different PCs hardware wise, both use different WiFi adaptors as well for the internet, but no issues to report :) .

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
When I look at event viewer I see reoccurring errors for seemingly innocent items. I've also noticed dhcp disconnects that I don't recall seeing before and the DISM tool will report repairable errors but will not allow you to mount a wim to repair them with. Perhaps MS will release a CU to correct for some of these oddities.

Yes -- I observed many unfamiliar Event descriptions. Just for my part though, all "real" errors are still cleaned up as I had sweated over the previous Build's logs. the only red-bangs I get are SxS errors associated to thoughtless software design made to work either with 32 or 64-bit Windows, attempting to call the wrong (32-bit) C++ Redistributable before loading the 64-bit version. And I had those with the previous builds -- AND with Win 7. Software user forums have ample threads ending in frustration because the developer "didn't fix the problem." But it's not a "real" problem.

DHCP problems I've seen in both red and yellow events. Sometimes, they're benign. If they assign an initial address, you should probably enter your router configuration and make reservations for your device (PC). DCOM errors can be more troublesome. I'm trying to remember all the stuff I fixed that followed with frustrated user posts in forums and long discussions before resolution. I'd need to look at my notes . . .

But this is good. . . It is good . . .

May 11, 2008

I have event messages that the ip address which is in the list of allowed addresses is refused by my router. But it still works. I guess windows tries again and the ip address is provided by my router. What i think is happening, is that windows remembers the last used ip address for example 192.168.3.1 . When i for example turn on wifi on my smartphone while my pc is off, that ip address is provided to my phone. When i turn on windows, the dhcp client requests 192.168.3.1 and is refused. It then request an address and is given 192.168.3.2 . But the event is logged.

I will try it out to see to see if that is the case.

I also get event messages about : Windows Hello for Business provisioning.
Zune music.
Windows one note.
app ssid being wrong...

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
The April 25th CU addressed connectivity issues so if you haven't already installed it you might want to go ahead and get KB401624.

May 11, 2008
The April 25th CU addressed connectivity issues so if you haven't already installed it you might want to go ahead and get KB401624.

I will check for updates. Thank you.

I do have something more serious.

When powering on my pc, there is a sidebyside issue for 'c:\program files\amd\cim\bin64\SetACL64.exe' .
A sidebyside issue is usually a dll that is missing and cannot be linked.
Unfortunately, the required dll is not mentioned. Which kind of makes me wonder what a log is for...
sxstrace is mentioned as a way to discover it. I will have to look into that.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
observed many unfamiliar Event descriptions. Just for my part though, all "real" errors are still cleaned up as I had sweated over the previous Build's logs. the only red-bangs I get are SxS errors associated to thoughtless software design made to work either with 32 or 64-bit Windows, attempting to call the wrong (32-bit) C++ Redistributable before loading the 64-bit version. And I had those with the previous builds -- AND with Win 7. Software user forums have ample threads ending in frustration because the developer "didn't fix the problem." But it's not a "real" problem.

DHCP problems I've seen in both red and yellow events. Sometimes, they're benign. If they assign an initial address, you should probably enter your router configuration and make reservations for your device (PC). DCOM errors can be more troublesome. I'm trying to remember all the stuff I fixed that followed with fru
I will check for updates. Thank you.

I do have something more serious.

When powering on my pc, there is a sidebyside issue for 'c:\program files\amd\cim\bin64\SetACL64.exe' .
A sidebyside issue is usually a dll that is missing and cannot be linked.
Unfortunately, the required dll is not mentioned. Which kind of makes me wonder what a log is for...
sxstrace is mentioned as a way to discover it. I will have to look into that.

I did notice after the CU update it resets fast startup to "enabled", I always change it back to "disabled", it might be worth trying your PC with fast startup disabled to see if that makes any difference. Also run Disk Cleanup and CCleaner to get rid of the old crap leftover. Also try reinstalling latest AMD video drivers.

Last edited: