Creators Update So What Do I Think

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 11, 2008
I did notice after the CU update it resets fast startup to "enabled", I always change it back to "disabled", it might be worth trying your PC with fast startup disabled to see if that makes any difference. Also run Disk Cleanup and CCleaner to get rid of the old crap leftover. Also try reinstalling latest AMD video drivers.

I disabled fast start up, it was indeed enabled in the power settings.
And after that i turned off my pc and waited for 20 seconds and turned it on again. And the sidebyside event log error is gone.
But not after a warm restart, only during a cold start.

I do have a lot of warnings from windows hello for business.
And a unrecognized usb filter driver. But that may be vmware player.

Last edited:
May 11, 2008
I did notice after the CU update it resets fast startup to "enabled", I always change it back to "disabled", it might be worth trying your PC with fast startup disabled to see if that makes any difference. Also run Disk Cleanup and CCleaner to get rid of the old crap leftover. Also try reinstalling latest AMD video drivers.

I disabled fast start up, it was indeed enabled in the power settings of the control panel.
And after that i turned the fast startup off on my pc. Turned my pc off for a cold restart and waited for 20 seconds and turned it on again. And the event log error is gone.
And my pc did not seem noticable slower during start up.

But unfortunately, during a warm restart the error returns.

May 11, 2008
There is something really strange with the forum software, sometimes posts on a new page will not appear for me.
I thought at first i forgot to press "post reply". And after pressing i see 2 posts.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
That may help.
But i do always before typing, a reload page. To make sure i have the latest version of the page.
Set your browser to refresh the page data upon each visit so no lingering information will present. You might also clear out your browser cache while your at it. Hope you get it sorted out.

May 11, 2008
I could not find an option in the options menu, but a quick google search should help, i think. I have set browser.cache.check_doc_frequency to 1. Default is 3.
about:config.

And i did a clear history just in case.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The update is alright. Found a problem with viewing properties on folder mounted volume. This is with four 2TB Samsung 850 EVO SSDs.
19eLDEn.png

When I assign the array as a drive letter the properties show just fine.
pQDbJ9O.png

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I"ve considered doing that, and only wondered with some uncanny specificity as to what happens -- that you show and prove. I'm clinging to the alphabet and the colon . . .

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I'm seeing some very strange behavior from windows in that it keeps on generating registry errors that are affecting networking performance. I'm having to run Auslogics registry cleaner every couple of days to clean them out so my pc won't stutter while accessing Ethernet. This is impacting all software using the internet causing them to stutter like they are being starved for bandwidth.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I haven't seen anything much that bothers me, except the things that bothered me from the first June 2015 release: "Candy Crush" and all the freebies to promote more "Apps" -- which are advertisements. I also didn't like being misled into making my Microsoft account synonymous with my logon, when I want to administer my passwords on a HOME network like a small BUSINESS -- what's wrong with that?!

I still have red-bang Event IDs to mitigate which deal with background update processes for that Kandy Krap-Krush sh-sh-tuff. I don't like red-bangs, and I frown on yellow-bangs. I've learned that some regularly recurring events in both flavors are benign and owing to other software developers.

But the more benign warnings and errors you see in the event logs, the more troublesome it is to sift through them and fix the ones that count. Ideally, I'd like the ones that require fixing to be the only ones I see. I suppose I could probably impose filters.

NOW . . . . the GOOD thing . . . . almost as good as the GOOD THANG for a nerdy-organism -- is this:

Somebody -- maybe somebody here -- sent me a couple e-mails over the last week pointing to developments related to SiliconDust HDHR' cablecard tuners. It now looks like we have "lift-off" for premiums. You have to download a specific "App" related to video decoding, which is integral to Creators Build #1703 and only works with Build #1703. I almost feel guilty in thinking "Thank you, Microsoft." Suddenly, KODI, Plex, MediaPortal and other options or even HDHR VIEW look a lot better.

I just spent chunks out of several weeks in general troubleshooting to assure a stable, reliable, flawless operation of dual-boot Win7/Win10. I've trimmed the Win7 system-volume down to a mere 120GB out of the 1TB space on my 960 Pro, because I could see even before the e-mails that I'm going to spend more and more time in Win 10 and less in Win 7. What do you think I'm contemplating in some later action with that?

Probably -- more fiddling with the BCD, EasyBCD and Mini-Tool. Or Macrium Rescue disc. Or -- I can just leave the 120 GB to gather some dust, maybe use it for stress-testing until I'm sure the software tangle gets sorted out between Windows 1703, PrimoCache and memory-management with programs that try and grab it all. For that, I see a future of maybe just months until patches and new versions are released.

Last edited:

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I got sick of fighting it and clean installed 1607. Using a thumb drive it only took 10 minutes from start to finish to get a fresh copy of 10 up and running.:D

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I got sick of fighting it and clean installed 1607. Using a thumb drive it only took 10 minutes from start to finish to get a fresh copy of 10 up and running.:D

That's good, if you know how you liked things set up and customized in the previous life of Win 10 on your system.

Are you saying that, from there -- a clean install of build 1607 -- you got quickly to a pristine, properly-behaving build 1703? that's good.

I'm still celebrating for taking the detour through the forest and nettles of fixing the existing configuration. I'm out in the sunshine now.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
No from a bare ssd it took 10 minutes to have a fully functional install of 1607 and I will not reinstall 1703 until they address more issues.

Edit: I'm stupid so it won't be but a few more minutes before 1703 finishes installing on my pc again. MS took the ISO's down so unless you already have one you have to upgrade from a lower version and I'm using their upgrade assistant rather than the media creation tool.

Last edited:

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
No from a bare ssd it took 10 minutes to have a fully functional install of 1607 and I will not reinstall 1703 until they address more issues.

Edit: I'm stupid so it won't be but a few more minutes before 1703 finishes installing on my pc again. MS took the ISO's down so unless you already have one you have to upgrade from a lower version and I'm using their upgrade assistant rather than the media creation tool.

They took version 1703 off the media creation site? Why would they do that, and leave the upgrade assistant to 1703 still available?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
When I created my bootable media using the media creation tool I got 1511 and then WU'd to 1607. If I'd known that I'd have just created by boot drive using my 1607 ISO and have been done with it. Now the update assistant refuses to work and won't upgrade me to 1703 using the tool provided in the WU page link. I just went to the MS 1703 web page and it gave me a different tool number so I'm trying it now.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
There are two different upgrade assistant tool numbers depending on which Microsoft link you use to acquire it. First time I tried the higher numbered one it failed but the second time I tried it this morning it worked and updated my 1607 to 1703 to OS build 15063.250.

It seems like the most difficult thing I encountered was my zonealarm firewall blocking out critical programs while they were in the process of updating themselves which trashed my outlook 2016 profile until I discovered the problem and manually enabled them. I did leave it disabled during the update which might have played a role in the successful completion.

May 11, 2008
According to a friend of mine, Microsoft Edge also does some http filtering when trying to get to download pages for the different image versions of windows 10. The web pages will not show or will seem to no longer exist. However, he used the html debugger or editor and had set the web browser from edge to safari. And then all the websites he could not get to in Edge appeared again and he could download the windows 10 images . It seems some people at Microsoft are at their old tricks again. Edge seems to actively decide for you which microsoft websites you may enter or the microsoft server seems to refuse pages to you if you use edge .

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I pretty much stick to IE 11 and I found out the hard way using the MS media creation tool that MS will no longer allow users to directly acquire the 1703 iso. I later came across a tech site that confirmed that this was in fact the case and ended up at a 3rd party website of windows users who had catalogued the iso for their users so I got both the 32 and 64 bit versions and placed them on thumb drives for future use. The next time I clean install I will at least start with 1703 as the base OS rather than being forced to do multiple updates to a clean install.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I pretty much stick to IE 11 and I found out the hard way using the MS media creation tool that MS will no longer allow users to directly acquire the 1703 iso. I later came across a tech site that confirmed that this was in fact the case and ended up at a 3rd party website of windows users who had catalogued the iso for their users so I got both the 32 and 64 bit versions and placed them on thumb drives for future use. The next time I clean install I will at least start with 1703 as the base OS rather than being forced to do multiple updates to a clean install.
As I've said elsewhere, you could get the IT Administrator's "full" version of the build, or go through Update.

On my second pass at going from an (image-restored) build 1607, I was able to get to the link through update that installs the Win Update Assistant. If anyone asks, that's what I tell them:

1st, wait for Windows Update to notify you that the new build is ready. MS is apparently providing that notice in groups of users and machines, and if you haven't got it yet, you're best to wait.

2nd -- first thing to do if you go to the linked page with a build-1703 download button, is SAVE the FREAKIN' LINK! If you back out of it, I only can say from personal experience that your Windows Update will be perpetually at "0% Downloaded" per the KB . . . . 240 WU assistant.

3rd -- Once you get to that link, create your USB "clean-install" of the new build first. Maybe even make the ISO for burning a DVD of it.

4th -- disconnect any unnecessary data drives. You would have had to do this before getting to the download link (unless you saved it) and initiating the upgrade. Delete any SSD-caching volumes. Delete all Ram-caching of disks.

Even for doing most of these things (I left my data drives attached), my dual-boot BCD was partially borked. I could get into either OS, but the menu didn't function properly: it would boot directly to Win 7 without the dual-boot menu when you would EXPECT to see the dual-boot menu. I could get to Win 10 by a restart from Win 7, and the dual-boot menu would appear.

Macrium Reflect repaired it, but I had to use it in two iterations: first to "fix" Win 7; second, to add Win 10 after giving the Win 10 system volume a drive letter under Win 7.

Go figure. I know people are having troubles with it. I'm only happier than a pig in s*** that it's clear sailing now for me . . . .

As for IE 11 and Edge. At first, Edge was a nuisance. Then I began to appreciate it more. I find myself using IE 11 less and less. And somehow, for either, Build 1703 has "fixed" an occasional situation where I'd have 5 or 10 tabs and sites open, and the browser would become unresponsive (under build 1607).

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
On my second pass at going from an (image-restored) build 1607, I was able to get to the link through update that installs the Win Update Assistant. If anyone asks, that's what I tell them:
That link provided on the WU settings page led to an older version of the tool that failed. The MS creators update webpage provides a newer tool that does work and it has a higher version number so go figure.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
That link provided on the WU settings page led to an older version of the tool that failed. The MS creators update webpage provides a newer tool that does work and it has a higher version number so go figure.

I'm figuring, but I couldn't tell if they'd replaced the version you mention with a newer one, except that it installed just fine except for tilting my dual-boot menu off kilter and requiring me to repair it in two steps. But I never lost access to the OSes; only for the reliability of the menu to appear after restarting from Win 10. It would just go into Win 7 instead. Restarting from there -- I'd get the menu again.

Go figure! :confused:

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
You know with all of the resources that MS has poured into W10 you would think that they'd have a check sheet someplace to make sure that they update their tools and present the same ones from every reference to them. I'm glad that I got those 1703 ISO's so the next time I have to do a clean install it will come straight from a UEFI thumb drive.