Covidiots thread

Page 182 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
If your survival rate for COVID is 99.7%, what's the logic behind vaccinating all age groups for that, especially since the vast majority of the deaths are in older people with 1 or more comorbidities?

How much does your survival rate improve to if you take Pfizer's 94% efficacy for example?
2 key factors:
1) Death statistics include benefit of 2/3 of the population now vaccinated in the averages, for which death/hospitalization rates are minuscule compared to unvaxxed. So I’d triple the rate to ~1% chance of death by being unvaxxed
2) For every death, ~4 get serious enough symptoms to be hospitalized - many of whom have long term symptoms.

So to avoid a 5% chance of hospitalization or death, get a free and risk-free shot. And help keep our hospital workers sane, and reduce the chance of becoming a carrier that kills off a friend or family member.

Also, while deaths are indeed concentrated in the elderly, severe COVID leading to hospitalization is more evenly spread.

Alternatively, if I accepted a hypothesis of only 0.3% death rate for a specific person, I’d still include a minimum of additional 1-2% chance of a severe COVID leading to hospitalization and possible long term health effects (on average a factor of 4 higher, but as implied above, this ratio is much higher for younger folks). Both of which can be reduced by a factor of 10 or so via vaccination.

nirimharboj

Apr 10, 2022
2 key factors:
1) Death statistics include benefit of 2/3 of the population now vaccinated in the averages, for which death/hospitalization rates are minuscule compared to unvaxxed. So I’d triple the rate to ~1% chance of death by being unvaxxed
2) For every death, ~4 get serious enough symptoms to be hospitalized - many of whom have long term symptoms.

So to avoid a 5% chance of hospitalization or death, get a free and risk-free shot. And help keep our hospital workers sane, and reduce the chance of becoming a carrier that kills off a friend or family member.

Also, while deaths are indeed concentrated in the elderly, severe COVID leading to hospitalization is more evenly spread.

Alternatively, if I accepted a hypothesis of only 0.3% death rate for a specific person, I’d still include a minimum of additional 1-2% chance of a severe COVID leading to hospitalization and possible long term health effects (on average a factor of 4 higher, but as implied above, this ratio is much higher for younger folks). Both of which can be reduced by a factor of 10 or so via vaccination.

Pretty sure the death statistics haven't changed at all after vaccine rollout. Part of the reason I didn't get vaccinated even when Delta came out was because the survival rate was already 99.7% or so. Got any proof they've changed? Even if it did, isn't it a null point since Omicron evades the vaccines?

What is the math behind tripling the mortality rate just because someone is unvaccinated?

Got a source on the claim that four people get hospitalized for every death?

How do you figure that the shot is risk free based on Pfizer's own adverse reporting documents, linked below? Caution, there's a lot there.

The shot doesn't prevent transmission so how is that a talking point? If anything it increases transmission since many vaccinated people are asymptomatic and don't know to isolate when they're infected?

Not only that, but isn't Omicron the dominant variant and the mildest one of all, which barely even infects the respiratory system?

Last edited:

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Pretty sure the death statistics haven't changed at all after vaccine rollout. Part of the reason I didn't get vaccinated even when Delta came out was because the survival rate was already 99.7% or so. Got any proof they've changed?

What is the math behind tripling the mortality rate just because someone is unvaccinated?

Got a source on the claim that four people get hospitalized for every death?

How do you figure that the shot is risk free based on Pfizer's own adverse reporting documents, linked below? Caution, there's a lot there.

The shot doesn't prevent transmission so how is that a talking point? If anything it increases transmission since many vaccinated people are asymptomatic and don't know to isolate when they're infected?

Not only that, but isn't Omicron the dominant variant and the mildest one of all, which barely even infects the respiratory system?
1 million dead, 4.6 million unique hospitalizations, in 80 million known cases in US
Of course that is entire period. Looking at Delta/Omicron only:
“During April 4–December 25, 2021, a total of 6,812,040 COVID-19 cases among unvaccinated persons and 2,866,517 cases among fully vaccinated persons were reported among persons aged ≥18 years in 25 U.S. jurisdictions; 94,640 and 22,567 COVID-19–associated deaths among unvaccinated and fully vaccinated persons, respectively, were reported by December 4 (Table 1).
“Age-standardized IRRs for deaths among unvaccinated versus fully vaccinated persons were relatively stable; crude VE for deaths was 95% during April–May, 94% during June, and 94% during July–November.”

Delta/Omicron are still killing well over 1% of confirmed unvaccinated cases - closer to 1.5% (although fair question on how many cases unknown). Age normalized, vaccines still preventing 94% of deaths.

Vaccination absolutely reduces odds of transmission of COVID, only disinformation sites would claim otherwise. Now, if you get a breakthrough infection, yes you can still spread the virus ~ which disinformation sites pose as not completely preventing transmission without mentioning the very sharp reduction.

There have been around 11 billion vaccination shots globally ~ with a tiny number of confirmed deaths or hospitalizations as a result.

Please remember what thread this is. Covidiots, not vaccination stats.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Just a reminder. Still a lot of covidiots out there.

ap22064775961040-c5a849cdb4f056d83cd8421edea8456d8f80fb37-s1300-c85.webp

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
I haven't been paying attention to Covidiots lately as the restrictions eased they have less to act up about, but noticed this Today.

Some Covidiots are refusing blood transfusions if the donor was vaccinated. Something like 90% of Canadian Adults have been vaccinated at least once, and the blood not marked one whether the source was vaccinated or not, so there is no way to accommodate this request, unless maybe you bring your own donor.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
I haven't been paying attention to Covidiots lately as the restrictions eased they have less to act up about, but noticed this Today.

Some Covidiots are refusing blood transfusions if the donor was vaccinated. Something like 90% of Canadian Adults have been vaccinated at least once, and the blood not marked one whether the source was vaccinated or not, so there is no way to accommodate this request, unless maybe you bring your own donor.

And those same people will be wanting to sue the hospitals and doctors for not saving the life of their loved one when it was their loved one's fault for refusing blood.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018

I could care less. I'm rolling with Vinney the Vaccine.Die then.jpg

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I could care less. I'm rolling with Vinney the Vaccine.View attachment 69216
As grandsons are full time firefighters, we often have a scanner on, which covers fire and EMS for the city and county.

Some days I hear multiple calls for difficulty breathing, COVID symptoms, very low O2 saturation (as low as 40%), use full PPE. Not at the same frequency as pre-vaccine, but still surprising number.

While at a brewery we often frequent, (cheep beer night) along with a bunch of people we've become friends with there, one woman asked "so... who's had COVID", and puts her hand up. There were about 10 people in the group at the time. She looked absolutely shocked that no one else put their hand up. Yea, we stayed home, wore masks, got vaccinated and boosted.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I just got back from a Disney cruise. The cruise itself required at least 1 round of covid vaccines (2 shots) OR a negative test within a few days of boarding the ship. I heard a few people clearing their throats on the ship, but no one appeared to be ill.

We stayed a night in a hotel by the airport for an early morning flight the next day. In the shuttle to the airport, the guy next to me definitely has covid. We both were masked and it was an 8 minute ride...
I'm pretty sure the lady behind me on the plane had something cause she was hacking and coughing...no mask. 😡

I don't like masks, but good grief. If you're sick, you should wear one. The guy that was sick next to me was at least masked. The lady on the plane was a total jerk.

I hate that all these safety rules have been rolled back because I think I'm certain situations it still makes sense. (Even though no one likes masks or distancing) I don't think we should force vaccines, but I agree with the shot cartoon above. My wife always jokes that people complain that they don't know what chemicals are in the vaccine. At the same time no one really knows what chemicals are in a Big Mac either. 🤷‍♂️

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
I just got back from a Disney cruise. The cruise itself required at least 1 round of covid vaccines (2 shots) OR a negative test within a few days of boarding the ship. I heard a few people clearing their throats on the ship, but no one appeared to be ill.

We stayed a night in a hotel by the airport for an early morning flight the next day. In the shuttle to the airport, the guy next to me definitely has covid. We both were masked and it was an 8 minute ride...
I'm pretty sure the lady behind me on the plane had something cause she was hacking and coughing...no mask. 😡

I don't like masks, but good grief. If you're sick, you should wear one. The guy that was sick next to me was at least masked. The lady on the plane was a total jerk.

I hate that all these safety rules have been rolled back because I think I'm certain situations it still makes sense. (Even though no one likes masks or distancing) I don't think we should force vaccines, but I agree with the shot cartoon above. My wife always jokes that people complain that they don't know what chemicals are in the vaccine. At the same time no one really knows what chemicals are in a Big Mac either. 🤷‍♂️

No such thing as too much irony.

1666068412083.jpeg

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005

😬

From the linked article.

"The anti-malaria drug was prescribed to some patients hospitalized with COVID-19 during the first wave of the pandemic, "despite the absence of evidence documenting its clinical benefits," the researchers point out in their paper, published in the February issue of Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy."

"Prescribed"
I wonder how many of those Prescriptions Trump wrote?

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi and ch33zw1z

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
From the linked article.

"The anti-malaria drug was prescribed to some patients hospitalized with COVID-19 during the first wave of the pandemic, "despite the absence of evidence documenting its clinical benefits," the researchers point out in their paper, published in the February issue of Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy."

"Prescribed"
I agree he is not directly responsible for those deaths but he did actively promote its use despite being told better by competent authorities. He bears some responsibility.

Dec 10, 2005
From the linked article.

"Prescribed"
If advertising and public advocacy didn't work, companies wouldn't pay for it and people wouldn't do it.

The president platforming something with his bully pulpit will certainly have an impact.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I agree he is not directly responsible for those deaths but he did actively promote its use despite being told better by competent authorities. He bears some responsibility.

Yes some responsibility along with the dummies taking medication advice from him. It was primarily the " competent authorities " responsibility that was prescribing it.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Yes some responsibility along with the dummies taking medication advice from him. It was primarily the " competent authorities " responsibility that was prescribing it.
And some responsibility belongs to those who put people like Stump and his cronies in office. The same people who are scared shitless of calling them out on their bullshit. Someone got rich off of republicans selling this drug and it wasn't team blue.

If you have to continually make excuses for the people you put in power then maybe they don't deserve to be in power. Just something to think about in this new year.

abj13

Golden Member
Jan 27, 2005
Let's not forget, it wasn't just any person talking about using hydroxychloroquine. It was the POTUS. He used his influence as POTUS to influence the CDC, FDA, and DHS to make it available for treatment. Remember this famous prediction? He didn't act like it was novel and needed to be studied more. Instead he was ready to implement it based on a crappy clinical study referenced in his tweet.

"HYDROXYCHLOROQUINE & AZITHROMYCIN, taken together, have a real chance to be one of the biggest game changers in the history of medicine. The FDA has moved mountains - Thank You! Hopefully they will BOTH (H works better with A, International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents) be put in use IMMEDIATELY. PEOPLE ARE DYING, MOVE FAST, and GOD BLESS EVERYONE!
@US_FDA @SteveFDA @CDCgov @DHSgov"

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001

Vaccination Dramatically Lowers Long Covid Risk​

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/vaccination-dramatically-lowers-long-covid-risk/

200 million worldwide suffering from long covid is a shocking stat. I wonder how many years it cut off their lives?

😬

Anti-vax logic dictates that they didn't die from it, they died with it. 💀 👻 And since all of us vaxxed folks are suppose to die from the "jabs" what is the latest timeframe for that? I saw them already trying to claim some celebrity deaths as being due to getting vaxxed. Bunch of 🤡🤡🤡🤡

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005

Vaccination Dramatically Lowers Long Covid Risk​

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/vaccination-dramatically-lowers-long-covid-risk/

200 million worldwide suffering from long covid is a shocking stat. I wonder how many years it cut off their lives?

Anti-vax logic dictates that they didn't die from it, they died with it. 💀 👻 And since all of us vaxxed folks are suppose to die from the "jabs" what is the latest timeframe for that? I saw them already trying to claim some celebrity deaths as being due to getting vaxxed. Bunch of 🤡🤡🤡🤡

I thought vaccines cause us to be mindless zombies, slaves to the government, with signals received through the 5G cell phone towers.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
I'm to the point where I'm ok with all the anti-vaxx nutjobs going without getting vaccinated. So long as they also refrain from taking any other "new" vaccines that come along for cancer/ebola/whatever.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Let's not forget, it wasn't just any person talking about using hydroxychloroquine. It was the POTUS. He used his influence as POTUS to influence the CDC, FDA, and DHS to make it available for treatment. Remember this famous prediction? He didn't act like it was novel and needed to be studied more. Instead he was ready to implement it based on a crappy clinical study referenced in his tweet.

"HYDROXYCHLOROQUINE & AZITHROMYCIN, taken together, have a real chance to be one of the biggest game changers in the history of medicine. The FDA has moved mountains - Thank You! Hopefully they will BOTH (H works better with A, International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents) be put in use IMMEDIATELY. PEOPLE ARE DYING, MOVE FAST, and GOD BLESS EVERYONE!
@US_FDA @SteveFDA @CDCgov @DHSgov"

Yea, but he didn’t write the scripts, so whatevs -pcgeek