Covidiots thread

Page 182 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dave_5k

May 23, 2017
If your survival rate for COVID is 99.7%, what's the logic behind vaccinating all age groups for that, especially since the vast majority of the deaths are in older people with 1 or more comorbidities?

How much does your survival rate improve to if you take Pfizer's 94% efficacy for example?
2 key factors:
1) Death statistics include benefit of 2/3 of the population now vaccinated in the averages, for which death/hospitalization rates are minuscule compared to unvaxxed. So I’d triple the rate to ~1% chance of death by being unvaxxed
2) For every death, ~4 get serious enough symptoms to be hospitalized - many of whom have long term symptoms.

So to avoid a 5% chance of hospitalization or death, get a free and risk-free shot. And help keep our hospital workers sane, and reduce the chance of becoming a carrier that kills off a friend or family member.

Also, while deaths are indeed concentrated in the elderly, severe COVID leading to hospitalization is more evenly spread.

Alternatively, if I accepted a hypothesis of only 0.3% death rate for a specific person, I’d still include a minimum of additional 1-2% chance of a severe COVID leading to hospitalization and possible long term health effects (on average a factor of 4 higher, but as implied above, this ratio is much higher for younger folks). Both of which can be reduced by a factor of 10 or so via vaccination.

nirimharboj

Apr 10, 2022
2 key factors:
1) Death statistics include benefit of 2/3 of the population now vaccinated in the averages, for which death/hospitalization rates are minuscule compared to unvaxxed. So I’d triple the rate to ~1% chance of death by being unvaxxed
2) For every death, ~4 get serious enough symptoms to be hospitalized - many of whom have long term symptoms.

So to avoid a 5% chance of hospitalization or death, get a free and risk-free shot. And help keep our hospital workers sane, and reduce the chance of becoming a carrier that kills off a friend or family member.

Also, while deaths are indeed concentrated in the elderly, severe COVID leading to hospitalization is more evenly spread.

Alternatively, if I accepted a hypothesis of only 0.3% death rate for a specific person, I’d still include a minimum of additional 1-2% chance of a severe COVID leading to hospitalization and possible long term health effects (on average a factor of 4 higher, but as implied above, this ratio is much higher for younger folks). Both of which can be reduced by a factor of 10 or so via vaccination.
Pretty sure the death statistics haven't changed at all after vaccine rollout. Part of the reason I didn't get vaccinated even when Delta came out was because the survival rate was already 99.7% or so. Got any proof they've changed? Even if it did, isn't it a null point since Omicron evades the vaccines?

What is the math behind tripling the mortality rate just because someone is unvaccinated?

Got a source on the claim that four people get hospitalized for every death?

How do you figure that the shot is risk free based on Pfizer's own adverse reporting documents, linked below? Caution, there's a lot there.

The shot doesn't prevent transmission so how is that a talking point? If anything it increases transmission since many vaccinated people are asymptomatic and don't know to isolate when they're infected?

Not only that, but isn't Omicron the dominant variant and the mildest one of all, which barely even infects the respiratory system?

Last edited:

Dave_5k

May 23, 2017
Pretty sure the death statistics haven't changed at all after vaccine rollout. Part of the reason I didn't get vaccinated even when Delta came out was because the survival rate was already 99.7% or so. Got any proof they've changed?

What is the math behind tripling the mortality rate just because someone is unvaccinated?

Got a source on the claim that four people get hospitalized for every death?

How do you figure that the shot is risk free based on Pfizer's own adverse reporting documents, linked below? Caution, there's a lot there.

The shot doesn't prevent transmission so how is that a talking point? If anything it increases transmission since many vaccinated people are asymptomatic and don't know to isolate when they're infected?

Not only that, but isn't Omicron the dominant variant and the mildest one of all, which barely even infects the respiratory system?
1 million dead, 4.6 million unique hospitalizations, in 80 million known cases in US
Of course that is entire period. Looking at Delta/Omicron only:
“During April 4–December 25, 2021, a total of 6,812,040 COVID-19 cases among unvaccinated persons and 2,866,517 cases among fully vaccinated persons were reported among persons aged ≥18 years in 25 U.S. jurisdictions; 94,640 and 22,567 COVID-19–associated deaths among unvaccinated and fully vaccinated persons, respectively, were reported by December 4 (Table 1).
“Age-standardized IRRs for deaths among unvaccinated versus fully vaccinated persons were relatively stable; crude VE for deaths was 95% during April–May, 94% during June, and 94% during July–November.”

Delta/Omicron are still killing well over 1% of confirmed unvaccinated cases - closer to 1.5% (although fair question on how many cases unknown). Age normalized, vaccines still preventing 94% of deaths.

Vaccination absolutely reduces odds of transmission of COVID, only disinformation sites would claim otherwise. Now, if you get a breakthrough infection, yes you can still spread the virus ~ which disinformation sites pose as not completely preventing transmission without mentioning the very sharp reduction.

There have been around 11 billion vaccination shots globally ~ with a tiny number of confirmed deaths or hospitalizations as a result.

Please remember what thread this is. Covidiots, not vaccination stats.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004

ASK THE COMMUNITY