Covidiots thread

Page 122 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
In my opinion, stopping the disease is more important than whether or not elderly people's risk is higher or lower than the flu.

As soon as the kids are vaccinated (quite soon) then I'll agree with you. Until then, I have to disagree. It is just a bit too soon.

I fully agree with this. I have not been disputing that precautions are still necessary, IMO, and I follow the same stringent precautions I always have since the beginning.

I just think saying everyone should not feel safe is idiotic and intentionally inflammatory.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I only have a small anecdote (which we all know is not representative of the population as a whole). But, all the elderly >65 people that I interact with personally are helping raise kids who are not vaccinated. The reasons differ, but it is from lack of daycare, school Covid transmission, etc. So, at least in my small subset, they should not yet return to life as normal. While they themselves might be fine with a breakthrough case, and the kids are likely to be fine with Covid, it just continues the massive spread of the disease through the world.

In my opinion, stopping the disease is more important than whether or not elderly people's risk is higher or lower than the flu.

As soon as the kids are vaccinated (quite soon) then I'll agree with you. Until then, I have to disagree. It is just a bit too soon.
I feel you, but I don’t agree. I think we are drastically underestimating the social costs of continuing this sort of behavior. Like, I think if kids return to in person school the odds of them contracting covid are quite high. I think we should do it anyway though, because the costs of remote learning are far higher than the deaths that will result. I think this is broadly true for most of the population.

This doesn’t mean to not take common sense precautions in schools like masking or whatever, but I think our bias should be strongly towards returning to normal life.

Reactions: Vic
Feb 4, 2009
I fully agree with this. I have not been disputing that precautions are still necessary, IMO, and I follow the same stringent precautions I always have since the beginning.

I just think saying everyone should not feel safe is idiotic and intentionally inflammatory.

Agreed, there is taking sensible precautions like keeping older parents away from big group activities or wearing a mask in a store or crowd. These are simple precautions.
They do not climb to avoid all shopping or any outside activity where there are people. Those are fear.
Concerning about a break through infection that has a 0.006% fatality rate is fear

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I don’t agree - vaccinated people should return to life as normal. The evidence suggests that vaccinated people have an approximate risk profile similar to that of the flu, so they should behave similarly to how they did in their entire life before covid, as the flu existed in that world.
That's actually counter to the CDC recommendations.
Everyone wants to 'compare' it to the flu. It is similar in that they are both virus, and the flu kills some.
COVID on the other hand attacks organs and leave permanent damage for those that survive. Import bits and pieces like the heart, lungs, brain.
Vaccinated people are becoming horribly sick, lasting for multiple weeks.

And please in the future if you make statements like "the evidence shows", include a link to such evidence... and not a link to facebook or the like.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I feel you, but I don’t agree. I think we are drastically underestimating the social costs of continuing this sort of behavior. Like, I think if kids return to in person school the odds of them contracting covid are quite high. I think we should do it anyway though, because the costs of remote learning are far higher than the deaths that will result. I think this is broadly true for most of the population.

This doesn’t mean to not take common sense precautions in schools like masking or whatever, but I think our bias should be strongly towards returning to normal life.
I personally think that precautions are all that is needed once vaccinated. Avoid big crowds, mask up, similar simple things. The social costs of those are nearly zero. I just don't think we are ready yet to return to normal life (no masks, big crowds, etc). Mostly normal life, sure. But fully back? Not yet.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
That's actually counter to the CDC recommendations.
Everyone wants to 'compare' it to the flu. It is similar in that they are both virus, and the flu kills some.
COVID on the other hand attacks organs and leave permanent damage for those that survive. Import bits and pieces like the heart, lungs, brain.
Vaccinated people are becoming horribly sick, lasting for multiple weeks.

And please in the future if you make statements like "the evidence shows", include a link to such evidence... and not a link to facebook or the like.
I agree that it’s counter to CDC recommendations but ignoring CDC recommendations is what we did every day before covid so if anything that’s a return to normal life too, haha. Do you follow CDC guidelines on how to prepare meat and eggs for example? I bet you don’t, so why are these special?

I think partially due to PTSD and partially due to the genuine irresponsibility of conservatives people are no longer rationally evaluating the risk/reward of further restrictions.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I personally think that precautions are all that is needed once vaccinated. Avoid big crowds, mask up, similar simple things. The social costs of those are nearly zero. I just don't think we are ready yet to return to normal life (no masks, big crowds, etc). Mostly normal life, sure. But fully back? Not yet.
I agree that the social costs of masks are near zero and should be worn in most public spaces but I think the social costs of avoiding crowds are actually very high. People like things like football games and concerts!

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I agree that it’s counter to CDC recommendations but ignoring CDC recommendations is what we did every day before covid so if anything that’s a return to normal life too, haha. Do you follow CDC guidelines on how to prepare meat and eggs for example? I bet you don’t, so why are these special?

I think partially due to PTSD and partially due to the genuine irresponsibility of conservatives people are no longer rationally evaluating the risk/reward of further restrictions.
WOW, that is a long and desperate stretch... comparing how well you cook your steak to a deadly fucking virus... your desperation is palpable.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I agree that the social costs of masks are near zero and should be worn in most public spaces but I think the social costs of avoiding crowds are actually very high. People like things like football games and concerts!
Neither of those are "social events"... you are just a spectator. Guess it is a substitute for those without friends to say they are 'being social'.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Neither of those are "social events"... you are just a spectator. Guess it is a substitute for those without friends to say they are 'being social'.
I have plenty of friends and I enjoy football games and concerts as social events. Going to an eagles game with my wife and one of my best friends is a social even I look forward too all year, in fact!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Sorry, what? What 'cost of remote learning' is higher than that of dead children again?
The cost of a lack of socialization and dramatically worse educational outcomes that will likely affect millions and millions of kids for their entire lives.

Stopping that is totally worth more than some dead children. It may even save lives long term - people see the cost of sick and dead children today clearly but they don’t take into account the toll we are inflicting on the others.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
WOW, that is a long and desperate stretch... comparing how well you cook your steak to a deadly fucking virus... your desperation is palpable.
So you seem to recognize the idea that not all CDC guidelines should be followed because they fail to account for the cost of following them. This is a start!

Now that we’ve established that some should be ignored, which ones? Are you saying all COVID related ones should be followed to the letter and not the others?

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
The cost of a lack of socialization and dramatically worse educational outcomes that will likely affect millions and millions of kids for their entire lives.

Stopping that is totally worth more than some dead children. It may even save lives long term - people see the cost of sick and dead children today clearly but they don’t take into account the toll we are inflicting on the others.
Seriously? Christ, they have to learn in front of a live video feed, and must communicate with friends via instantaneous texting. Let me fetch my fainting couch. I'm sure the parents of those dead children will be thrilled to know that others got to see their friends in person for an additional period of time.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Seriously? Christ, they have to learn in front of a live video feed, and must communicate with friends via instantaneous texting. Let me fetch my fainting couch. I'm sure the parents of those dead children will be thrilled to know that others got to see their friends in person for an additional period of time.
I think you are RADICALLY underestimating the damage done to children, especially young children, by not going to in-person school. They will likely be damaged for life.

The flu is deadlier to children than covid from my understanding, so should we cancel in person school entirely to save those lives?

Reactions: Vic

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I think you are RADICALLY underestimating the damage done to children, especially young children, by not going to in-person school. They will likely be damaged for life.

The flu is deadlier to children than covid from my understanding, so should we cancel in person school entirely to save those lives?
I don't know the stats behind the Flu, but I'd be willing to consider it, yes.

Citations for dramatic, life-long damage presently being done to children please?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I don't know the stats behind the Flu, but I'd be willing to consider it, yes.

You would be willing to consider the abolition of in person schooling to control influenza? This would be a social catastrophe.

Citations for dramatic, life-long damage presently being done to children please?
Here's a quick one that was published last year, and this is before even more damage was inflicted by remote learning. As you can see it's a nightmare.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001

I disagree. The majority of these children are interacting and socializing daily online thru remote learning (interaction with the teacher/students via zoom, etc), playing games and chatting, talking to friends over the internet via typed text or voice/mic.. the only aspect that is missing is person to person, but that isn't necessary to socialize.. We are socializing right now having this discussion. Honestly, what is missing is parent interaction, or in some cases, to much parent interaction, with parents not knowing how to actually be parents an properly interact/communicate/teach their kids.. Many parents have been expecting and leaving 99% of all teaching to the teacher, including life lessons that SHOULD be taught by the parents. With remote learning, and the kids at home, parents have no fucking clue on what they should be doing because many of the schools have been "parenting" for them.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
You would be willing to consider the abolition of in person schooling to control influenza? This would be a social catastrophe.

Here's a quick one that was published last year, and this is before even more damage was inflicted by remote learning. As you can see it's a nightmare.

The link you provided, as well as the source material for it, suggest around 4mo avg disruption for most students, which falls in line with the disruption period immediately following the pandemic start and schools closing, before they got widespread remote learning up and rolling. It identifies that children of color are suffering more, but that's not a pandemic related issue (clearly, as it's not affecting white communities), it's an inequality related issue. So 404, catastrophe/nightmare not found. Get our politicians to fix the equality issues rather than leveraging them for votes, and suddenly we've got a brief period where we got caught with our pants down, followed by 'new normal' after that where everyone's getting educated.

oh, and kids that are alive rather than dead, that too.

Reactions: Justinus

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I disagree. The majority of these children are interacting and socializing daily online thru remote learning (interaction with the teacher/students via zoom, etc), playing games and chatting, talking to friends over the internet via typed text or voice/mic.. the only aspect that is missing is person to person, but that isn't necessary to socialize.. We are socializing right now having this discussion. Honestly, what is missing is parent interaction, or in some cases, to much parent interaction, with parents not knowing how to actually be parents an properly interact/communicate/teach their kids.. Many parents have been expecting and leaving 99% of all teaching to the teacher, including life lessons that SHOULD be taught by the parents.
By this logic before the pandemic home schooled children should be as well socialized or even better socialized than their in-person school counterparts.

Does anyone seriously want to make that argument?

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
The link you provided, as well as the source material for it, suggest around 4mo avg disruption for most students, which falls in line with the disruption period immediately following the pandemic start and schools closing, before they got widespread remote learning up and rolling. It identifies that children of color are suffering more, but that's not a pandemic related issue (clearly, as it's not affecting white communities), it's an inequality related issue. So 404, catastrophe/nightmare not found. Get our politicians to fix the equality issues rather than leveraging them for votes, and suddenly we've got a brief period where we got caught with our pants down, followed by 'new normal' after that where everyone's getting educated.

Also kids with parents and grandparents that are alive rather than dead.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

No, my link shows that large loss of learning from just the few months at the end of the previous school year. It didn't even measure the following school year's loss of learning. That got even worse.

As for the idea that once we got it set up that remote learning was as good or even remotely (har) as good as in-person learning, I suggest you talk to some teachers, especially elementary school teachers.

And yes, we should fix inequality. Know what a good way to help do that is? In person school, as shown here!

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
By this logic before the pandemic home schooled children should be as well socialized or even better socialized than their in-person school counterparts.

Does anyone seriously want to make that argument?
The stereotypical pre-pandemic 'home schooled' child wasn't socially stunted because of home schooling, they were usually stunted because the kinds of parents that home schooled also tended to a) isolate those children, and b) be a bit nutty themselves. In addition to that, they were doing what everyone else wasn't, necessarily isolating them further. If everyone's remote, there's nothing socially weird about remote/at home learning.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Also kids with parents and grandparents that are alive rather than dead.
If the parents and grandparents are vaccinated they are at approximately the same risk as if their kid caught the flu. Should we have closed schools in the past for the flu?

This is a blind spot with people in general that we are bad at understanding long term costs. A dead kid today is easy to see - they're dead. Millions of kids who suffer lifelong issues due to lost years of learning are a lot harder to see and define. You guys are radically... RADICALLY underestimating the cost of the latter.