County worker FIRED for doing what anyone would do.

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
No, he didn't. He knocked on the door, and then let himself in when he didn't get an answer.

Doesn't matter, he knew someone lived there. This isn't some nosy parent checking into their teens room, this is a stranger letting himself into someone's house uninvited while they were sleeping. You're welcome.

this is about a shitty human being ignoring the world and its laws. if she doesnt want to be bothered and live in her own filth, move to syria or something.

Skitzer

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2000
and why wont the civil suit go anywhere? because he really didnt do anything wrong.

So you'd be Ok with some big dude walking into your house and into your bedroom with your wife still sleeping and you being at work? It wouldn't be a problem for you? How do you think your wife would feel about it?

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
So you'd be Ok with some big dude walking into your house and into your bedroom with your wife still sleeping and you being at work? It wouldn't be a problem for you? How do you think your wife would feel about it?

i abide by my local laws and i dont give anyone a reason to enter my house. and when someone knocks on my door, i answer it like a normal person. so yes, in my case i would be upset.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Legally I see everyone's point, but it seems as though we're argueing aginst human descency.

If you see someone in need ignore them.

If you neighbors house is on fire, it is really none of your business unless the fire could spread to your house then you should call 911 since you would be personally affected.

If you see a car that has crashed into a river or lake with people trapped inside. Even if you are able to respond to help those inside, even if you have the skillset to rescue those people,it not really your business and you would be interfereing with an official government matter. You may want to call 911, surely one of the persons in the car has a phone It just makes sense that one of them would call 911 being that they are IN the car.. Your call to 911 just may cause a busy signal for someone else in need. Who knows your call to 911 just may cost someone else their life. Yeah we better wait on the professionals.

Yes the guy was legally wrong. Yes if the guy just ignored the rare human need to help someone he would still have his job.

This so much reminds me of the recent case of the life guard that was fired because he saved someone from drowning in an area he was not assigned to.

Yes doing the humane and descent thing isn't always legal. Just as if a child is trapped in a burning house it is not legal to break the window and pull the child out. How many charges is that? 1. Kidnapping 2. Breaking and Entering 3. Assault and if it is a female child you could very well have to register as a Sex offender for life.

Great job guys. Now everyone has even less reason to get involved in any type of crime or emergency situation.

Apparently, you don't see any difference in this situation being discussed and the hyperboles you listed above. That is what's sad.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
Apparently, you don't see any difference in this situation being discussed and the hyperboles you listed above. That is what's sad.

your comments in this thread are the worst. you seem so uneducated that i doubt many are going to even acknowledge you anymore

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
its got little to do with him being an inspector and more to do with him being a compassionate human that tried to do the right thing.

he doesnt need permission if the situation seems dire and the door is open with no answer. he was not charged with a crime because he did not break the law.

He didn't break the law, but he most certainly broke policy regulations related to his job, and then he proceeded to lie about it. That will get you fired in just about any job environment.

Jan 25, 2011
Legally I see everyone's point, but it seems as though we're argueing aginst human descency.

If you neighbors house is on fire, it is really none of your business unless the fire could spread to your house then you should call 911 since you would be personally affected.

If you see a car that has crashed into a river or lake with people trapped inside. Even if you are able to respond to help those inside, even if you have the skillset to rescue those people,it not really your business and you would be interfereing with an official government matter. You may want to call 911, surely one of the persons in the car has a phone It just makes sense that one of them would call 911 being that they are IN the car.. Your call to 911 just may cause a busy signal for someone else in need. Who knows your call to 911 just may cost someone else their life. Yeah we better wait on the professionals.

Yes the guy was legally wrong. Yes if the guy just ignored the rare human need to help someone he would still have his job.

This so much reminds me of the recent case of the life guard that was fired because he saved someone from drowning in an area he was not assigned to.

Yes doing the humane and descent thing isn't always legal. Just as if a child is trapped in a burning house it is not legal to break the window and pull the child out. How many charges is that? 1. Kidnapping 2. Breaking and Entering 3. Assault and if it is a female child you could very well have to register as a Sex offender registry.

Great job guys. Now everyone has even less reason to get involved in any type of crime or emergency situation.

If you notice, each example you cite has clear indications of imminent harm to the person involved. A fire, people drowning in a vehicle. Where is the implication of imminent or immediate harm in this situation? A open door is not sufficient to meet any test. A cop does have additional authority in similar situations but there are still limits.

NetGuySC

Golden Member
Nov 19, 1999

Oh there are differences but all the cases have something very important in common.

One human being's perception that another human being needs help...

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

not the same. you are not breaking any laws by calling 911 because of a fire. IF you see smoke or flames you KNOW there is a danger. this guy had NONE.

this is idiotic. you call 911 and help. YOU SEE THE ACTUAL CRASH. again no laws being broken.

Yes doing the humane and descent thing isn't always legal. Just as if a child is trapped in a burning house it is not legal to break the window and pull the child out. How many charges is that? 1. Kidnapping 2. Breaking and Entering 3. Assault and if it is a female child you could very well have to register as a Sex offender registry.

you don't seem to get it.

there is no proof there was any need to enter her house. the door opened when someone knocked? ok..that's not enough.

it stunk? ok yeah thats why she was being served.

all you have is a guy who is a proven liar's word that he claims to seen something.

when the video shows him walking to the back door and trying it. then walks to the front door and looks like he opens it.

then he claims he looked in and seen a body. even though She was in her bedroom.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
i abide by my local laws and i dont give anyone a reason to enter my house. and when someone knocks on my door, i answer it like a normal person. so yes, in my case i would be upset.

Please at least try to answer the question posed to you when you quote it. Lets try again:

Would you be fine if you were at work and some stranger walked into your house while she was sleeping and did not hear him knocking?

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
He didn't break the law, but he most certainly broke policy regulations related to his job, and then he proceeded to lie about it. That will get you fired in just about any job environment.

i understand why he was fired. technically, he should have been. realistically, morally, he should not have been. that is all im arguing.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
please at least try to answer the question posed to you when you quote it. Lets try again:

Would you be fine if you were at work and some stranger walked into your house while she was sleeping and did not hear him knocking?

no. I answered that. Read dude. I would be upset because i dont break laws and i acknowledge people when they are trying to help.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
your comments in this thread are the worst. you seem so uneducated that i doubt many are going to even acknowledge you anymore

rofl. Did you post this while looking into the mirror? I'd be more than happy to compare degrees with you.

NetGuySC

Golden Member
Nov 19, 1999
If you notice, each example you cite has clear indications of imminent harm to the person involved. A fire, people drowning in a vehicle. Where is the implication of imminent or immediate harm in this situation? A open door is not sufficient to meet any test. A cop does have additional authority in similar situations but there are still limits.

The guy perceived that a person inside needed help just like my examples, he responded.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
i understand why he was fired. technically, he should have been. realistically, morally, he should not have been. that is all im arguing.

And you're still wrong.

Entering the home was VERY wrong and VERY illegal. Like I said, go entering homes without the home owner permission and see what happens. You'll likely get shot.

Jan 25, 2011
The guy perceived that a person inside needed help just like my examples, he responded.

It has to be based on something. I can't enter any home I want even as a cop and say I thought something was wrong. There has to be evidence there's something amiss.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Oh there are differences but all the cases have something very important in common.

One human being's perception that another human being needs help...

This situation requires a "jump to conclusions", the ones you listed do not. It's a nice strawman variant though.

NetGuySC

Golden Member
Nov 19, 1999
not the same. you are not breaking any laws by calling 911 because of a fire. IF you see smoke or flames you KNOW there is a danger. this guy had NONE.

this is idiotic. you call 911 and help. YOU SEE THE ACTUAL CRASH. again no laws being broken.

you don't seem to get it.

there is no proof there was any need to enter her house. the door opened when someone knocked? ok..that's not enough.

it stunk? ok yeah thats why she was being served.

all you have is a guy who is a proven liar's word that he claims to seen something.

when the video shows him walking to the back door and trying it. then walks to the front door and looks like he opens it.

then he claims he looked in and seen a body. even though She was in her bedroom.

If this was true he would have been arrested.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Sorry, Net, I'm not seeing this in this case.
Spent over 25 years knocking on doors of trashed/"abandoned looking" houses collecting my $$. They weren't abandoned. Yes, people live like pigs and don't care. I've never gone into someone's house uninvited, door open or not, terrible odors wafting out or not. He should have called the police if he really thought there was an issue but I believe that 1)the condition of the house was normal for him to see as a code enforcer and 2)he was still acting like a cop.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
this is about a shitty human being ignoring the world and its laws. if she doesnt want to be bothered and live in her own filth, move to syria or something.

What kind of authoritarian bootlicker are you?

NetGuySC

Golden Member
Nov 19, 1999
It has to be based on something. I can't enter any home I want even as a cop and say I thought something was wrong. There has to be evidence there's something amiss.

I understand but he clearly articulated why he thought something was wrong.

This isn't the first time smething like this has happened, mailmen, fed-ex guys have all responded and did things that were not in their job description... and saved a life.
The results are different but the intents are the same. trying to help smeone percieved to be in trouble.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005

I can't say I'd fire him for going into the house to check in the welfare of someone, but he list moral high ground when he lied about doing it.

Perfect example of honesty being the best policy.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Sorry, Net, I'm not seeing this in this case.
Spent over 25 years knocking on doors of trashed/"abandoned looking" houses collecting my $$. They weren't abandoned. Yes, people live like pigs and don't care. I've never gone into someone's house uninvited, door open or not, terrible odors wafting out or not. He should have called the police if he really thought there was an issue but I believe that 1)the condition of the house was normal for him to see as a code enforcer and 2)he was still acting like a cop.

Exactly. If he heard someone inside crying for help that would have been one thing, his opinion of the smell is completely another.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007

there was multiple sanitary violations and the front door was open! why cant anyone grasp that? how does that turn into "no reason to enter"?

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
I can't say I'd fire him for going into the house to check in the welfare of someone, but he list moral high ground when he lied about doing it.

Perfect example of honesty being the best policy.

but, in this case, you are more worried about something he said after the fact then what he did during the situation at hand.