Could we see 4-more from Trump?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
It's possible but there is a long way to go. A lot of what he's "accomplished" is really either just his usual paint job of bullshit or actively harmful to the people who voted for him. Much slippage on either one of those fronts would be terminal to his chances.

homebrew2ny

Jan 3, 2013
Not only can he, but he will get another 4 years. The sad state of affairs is that the Dems have noone, zero to compete. And they have become the poster boy for corruption in the government.

I would think its going to be 16 to 20 years before Democrats sniff the oval office again...

cirrrocco

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2004
If dems take the house this year and start leading investigations instead of the toilet-paper cover ups we'e seen from the Republican committees, I don't see how he can recover. Throw in possible Midwest economic devastation from these stupid trade wars and he's sinking his own ship. Time will tell, hard to count him out given the incumbency advantage and Putin's thumb on the scales.

I wish this happens but the democrats are bigger pussies .

DisarmedDespot

Jun 2, 2016
It's unlikely but possible. Fact is, Trump supporters live in an information bubble and can point to a bunch of meaningless nothings as victories. Things like gutting the EPA (Despite Pruitt being under something like 10+ investigations), stopping immigration (despite repeatedly failing to get any funding for the wall) and the tax bill (nevermind it didn't benefit the average American) will still get the GOP base riled up. Combine that with general fearmongering about gun control and immigration and there's the very good chance Trump's support doesn't erode.

It's still an uphill fight, though, especially if the Dems take the house (likely) and turn an already lame duck into an even lamer duck.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Trump hasn't made it 18 months so speculation about his chances in 2020 are extremely premature. I personally doubt he'll make it that far. That's from a legal perspective.

From a political perspective, we need to see what comes out of the 2018 elections. They're very much a referendum on his leadership.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Why wasn't there an Obama/Kim summit? Obama mentioned he would talk to Kim during his 2008 campaign and the GOP went apeshit about it. How could he lend legitimacy to a dictator? Now that their own is in charge and they are desperate for anything that can be construed as a win of course they're all rah rah sis boom bah.
Exactly, previous POTUS's insisted NK end it's nuclear program before any summit/talks, Trump thinks he's gonna get the NK to just waste all those years/$$$'s gaining nuclear capability for what?, I think this fails badly, I hope I'm actually wrong but my gut instincts say no way. When Trump says I can tell 'in one minute" how it will go down right off the bat this idiot will screw it up.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Just vote to throw the bum out and let the chips fall where they may. It's Democrats not voting that made Trump president. If Democrats learned that keeping Republican vermin out of power is higher priority than whatever they were doing on last election day, then GOP will get what's coming to it. If not, then this country will get the government it deserves.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Politicians have learned that by turning politics into a contest between shit throwing apes they can repel most voters allowing only the brainwashed diehards to come to the polls. With the help of dollars from the 1% and Russian psyops soldiers, the brainwashing of those on the right is readily assured. Any candidate appealing to the complexity of rational thinking will be sunk from the get-go.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Just vote to throw the bum out and let the chips fall where they may. It's Democrats not voting that made Trump president. If Democrats learned that keeping Republican vermin out of power is higher priority than whatever they were doing on last election day, then GOP will get what's coming to it. If not, then this country will get the government it deserves.

Crooked Hillary! Lock her up! Poor Bernie! So cheated!

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
I admit. Things are looking pretty good. The economy is still rolling along. The Trump and Kim summit is going to be historic. Trump's approval rating is getting much better. We still have a few more years, so who knows what is going to happen. But, let's all be real. It looked like Trump was going to crash and burn, and TBH it looks like he had us all fooled. He has a very unorthodox style as president, but he's finding success. The Trump/Kim summit is going to do down as a historic event. This wouldn't had taken place if Trump was soft on North Korea. Why wasn't there an Obama/Kim summit? That's because Obama was soft. I still like Obama though.

This could also mean bad news for Dems. An improved Trump rating could mean a much more difficult task for Dems to regain Congress. Again. Only time will tell.

LOL... Very weak concern troll Op...

2/10

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I admit. Things are looking pretty good. The economy is still rolling along. The Trump and Kim summit is going to be historic. Trump's approval rating is getting much better. We still have a few more years, so who knows what is going to happen. But, let's all be real. It looked like Trump was going to crash and burn, and TBH it looks like he had us all fooled. He has a very unorthodox style as president, but he's finding success. The Trump/Kim summit is going to do down as a historic event. This wouldn't had taken place if Trump was soft on North Korea. Why wasn't there an Obama/Kim summit? That's because Obama was soft. I still like Obama though.

This could also mean bad news for Dems. An improved Trump rating could mean a much more difficult task for Dems to regain Congress. Again. Only time will tell.

"pretty good" all depends which side of "pretty good" one falls on.
The Trump tax reforms will definitely have negative repercussions for the middle class BUT...
the middle class won't realize this until they do their taxes come April 2019.

And that summit with Kim doesn't necessarily assure positive results.
Both Trump and Kim are pretty much unpredictable to say the least.
If after the summit Kim decides to double down on his nuclear program, I'd chalk that summit up as a huge mistake.

The proof of the pudding will not be known for some time, on any current issue.
Considering past history from these two, I wouldn't assume too much.
And the middle class will definitely suffer tax shock come 2019. That is a disaster in the making. No one ever reads the fine print, but their tax preparer has.
AND I feel sorry for the tax preparers. All I can say is, don't kill the messenger.

Finding optimism out of so much instability is pretty optimistic to say the least.
Like if your kid failed every math test, expecting a passing grade at the end of the year I'd say was being pretty optimistic.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
A reasonable assessment isn't concern trolling.
At some point, you'll realize that most people aren't the extremists you see here.

Didn't you know we're all terrorists here since we terrorize people with facts and they convince themselves that wearing tin hats and saying they voted from TRUMP will protect them from scary things.

Reactions: umbrella39

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Didn't you know we're all terrorists here since we terrorize people with facts and they convince themselves that wearing tin hats and saying they voted from TRUMP will protect them from scary things.
I don't think anyone here is a terrorist, but there are extremists.
I'm not sure what scary things Trump is supposed to protect us from. Lately he appears to be focused on the tariffs imposed on US goods sold in other country's. Having not studied the issue, I can't offer an opinion other than if tariffs are imposed on US goods, it seems justified that the US impose them on foreign goods. That's a simplistic approach to what is almost certainly a very complex issue.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I'm not sure what scary things Trump is supposed to protect us from. Lately he appears to be focused on the tariffs imposed on US goods sold in other country's. Having not studied the issue, I can't offer an opinion other than if tariffs are imposed on US goods, it seems justified that the US impose them on foreign goods. That's a simplistic approach to what is almost certainly a very complex issue.

It's interesting that Trump would pick Dairy to fight about & that rural folks support him in that. Canada set out to protect the livelihoods of their small to medium size dairy farmers a long time ago & have succeeded in doing so. They've been thrown to the free market wolves in this country-

https://www.theguardian.com/world/commentisfree/2018/jun/09/milk-canada-us-trade-war

http://politicsoftheplate.com/?p=598

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Depends on resentment in PA, MI, WI, MN, NC, FL & VA.

And the NK summit is a total photo op with nothing coming out of it, like the mission accomplished bush banner.

NK has to get something big to give up their nukes. What will that be? is that acceptable to the USA? And quite honestly NK is totally fine with the status quo with China giving NK 90% of everything it needs.

MN went for Hillary.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

You must've slept through much of the last few years. Trump is here to protect us from Mexicans, whom he slandered and generalized as rapists, immigrant/non-immigrant Muslims, and Nazis...oh wait not that last one....those are very fine people. maybe that has to do with his German heritage that he lied about for decades.

So basically, protect us from people who aren't white and not Christian

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
OP: of course we could see 4 more from the pathological-liar-in-chief. It's not like Americans have suddenly smartened up in the last year.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Not only can he, but he will get another 4 years. The sad state of affairs is that the Dems have noone, zero to compete. And they have become the poster boy for corruption in the government.

I would think its going to be 16 to 20 years before Democrats sniff the oval office again...

Yes if people remain as ignorant as this poster or is my sarcasm meter broken?