Corrected title: Now the GOP has accomplished massive tax reform

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Pulling up that ladder a bit more after themselves...

Government analysis shows House tax bill would increase the cost of college by $71 billion over a decade

The irony of Paul Ryan making it harder for people to pay for college by axing government support is pretty fucking amazing. He wouldn't have a degree without government assistance.

The GOP's plan to #MASA Make America Stupid Again. It's the uneducated that keeps voting for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: ch33zw1z

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
The donations for political favours really needs to be nixed from your system. It's amazing how blatantly obvious they are being about not really caring for the middle class, yet certain people are gobbling it up.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Pulling up that ladder a bit more after themselves...

Government analysis shows House tax bill would increase the cost of college by $71 billion over a decade

The irony of Paul Ryan making it harder for people to pay for college by axing government support is pretty fucking amazing. He wouldn't have a degree without government assistance.
Paul Ryan is too stupid and arrogant to even notice that he has almost zero real world experience. He's been a political hack his whole adult life.

Reactions: Ajay and ch33zw1z

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
The donations for political favours really needs to be nixed from your system
Donations for political favors basically is our system. It is not corruption, it is just the logical extension of capitalism into politics. In American when Capitalism and Democracy come into conflict Capitalism wins. Votes are a product. They feel they have a right to profit from their product. Hell, it would be down right un-American not to!

Reactions: ch33zw1z

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Looks like we'll be keeping the ACA individual mandate.

The Senate bill has a mandate repeal but the House doesn't, AFAIK. A major item that would have to be hashed out in conference should the Senate pass it's bill.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2006
The Senate bill has a mandate repeal but theHhouse doesn't, AFAIK. A major item that would have to be hashed out in conference should the Senate pass it's bill.
I just corrected my original post...and then saw this. You are correct sir.

Guurn

Dec 29, 2012
I know a repeal of the estate tax has been discussed for a long time, but the non mention of the long term charges to it is odd to me. For the record I find the estate tax to be a good thing. I do agree with moving up the minimum from 5 million to 10 million. Maybe the current push has something to do with the paradise and panama papers?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I know a repeal of the estate tax has been discussed for a long time, but the non mention of the long term charges to it is odd to me. For the record I find the estate tax to be a good thing. I do agree with moving up the minimum from 5 million to 10 million. Maybe the current push has something to do with the paradise and panama papers?

Helping the wealthy further concentrate the nation's wealth is probably not a desirable outcome. Were I a betting man I'd wager on a threshold raise like what's in the Senate bill not the total elimination that is in the House legislation. The House legislation just looks stupid greedy.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Really? Why do you agree with moving the minimum from $5 million to $10 million? Remember, that's per person, not per household. In the current circumstances approximately 0.2% of estates are subject to ANY estate tax and those only pay taxes on the portion of inheritance over $5 million (or $10 million). If we increased it to $10 million and $20 million exempted then we're probably talking about something like 0.05% of estates or whatever. Basically no one.

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/briefing-book/how-many-people-pay-estate-tax

I'm of the belief that our tax code should tax work less and idle money more. Why is it that someone who works for a living to make $5 million gets taxed every step of the way but the heir who sits by the pool all day pays nothing? I say if anything we lower the amount exempted from the estate tax.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I'm of the belief that our tax code should tax work less and idle money more. Why is it that someone who works for a living to make $5 million gets taxed every step of the way but the heir who sits by the pool all day pays nothing? I say if anything we lower the amount exempted from the estate tax.

I believe, sir, that you are really discounting all the hard work I did to be the sperm that made it into that egg.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Murkowski: No mandate repeal without CSR stabilization bill first

https://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/murkowski-alexander-murray-necessary

Sen. Lisa Murkowski suggested on Thursday that her vote on the current version of the tax overhaul is contingent on passing a separate bill to stabilize the individual health insurance market.

The tax legislation now includes a section to repeal the individual mandate — a provision that opens up over $300 billion in revenue — but could also threaten the viability of the overall health law.

The measure has caused some heartburn for moderate members, particularly Murkowski and Sen. Susan Collins of Maine, two of the three votes that helped sink the recent GOP bill to repeal the law earlier this year.

Murkowski believes legislation from Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Chairman Lamar Alexander of Tennessee and Sen. Patty Murray of Washington, the panel’s top Democrat, is necessary before the mandate — which supporters of the law say is a critical foundation for the current insurance markets — is repealed.

“I think that there is a path and I think the path is a reasonable path,” the Alaska Republican said of her support for the measure. “If the Congress is going to move forward with repeal of the individual mandate, we absolutely must have the Alexander-Murray piece that is passed into law.”

Without such a measure — which would, among other things, appropriate money for the so-called cost-sharing subsidies — Murkowski says middle-class Americans may not receive the kind of tax relief the GOP is aiming to provide.

“There is a path forward. It just means that some who have said some nasty things about CSRs are maybe just going to have to acknowledge that, well, this might be the way that you thread this needle,” she said. “If that tax cut is offset by higher premiums, you have’t delivered benefit.”

The House isn't going to do that.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
McCain signaling he's happy with the process in the Senate this time around, one of his major gripes about healthcare efforts. Remains to be seen if he supports the content of the legislation passed out of committee though. Mandate repeal could be a problem for him still.

hCnwzih.png

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
So I was reading about the impacts to education over at ARS. The tax bill makes waived tuition taxable as income.

This will likely decimate masters and PHD students in science. Graduate students in the sciences generally get a stipend from the grants they work on. In return they work for the school as TA’s and perform research and the schools waive tuition towards the degree.

Now instead of being taxed on their let’s call it $35000 stipend they be taxed on $35K + $55K of tuition.

MIT calculated the taxes change would increase a grad students taxes by about 250% eating up 37% of their stipend income.

This should prevent most regular students from pursuing post grad science degrees.

JFC :mad:

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
So I was reading about the impacts to education over at ARS. The tax bill makes waived tuition taxable as income.

This will likely decimate masters and PHD students in science. Graduate students in the sciences generally get a stipend from the grants they work on. In return they work for the school as TA’s and perform research and the schools waive tuition towards the degree.

Now instead of being taxed on their let’s call it $35000 stipend they be taxed on $35K + $55K of tuition.

MIT calculated the taxes change would increase a grad students taxes by about 250% eating up 37% of their stipend income.

This should prevent most regular students from pursuing post grad science degrees.

Its almost like the GOP in the house started with "what would a dick do to give the investor class more money?" and went from there.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

thats all that evil liberal education though.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Its almost like the GOP in the house started with "what would a dick do to give the investor class more money?" and went from there.

Honestly I think the far more likely answer is they went on a search for revenue and tended towards groups they think of as their enemies. Fairly normal.

Where they diverged from normal is that they slapped this together in almost no time and with almost zero objective external input, meaning they have put almost no thought into the second order effects of the changes they are making. It’s just like with the health care bill, we have a bunch of incompetents trying to write nationwide policy in a rush because they’re afraid of what the public will think if they find out what’s in it.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Can't have too many educated people ya know...

Average American: I have no money because my job doesn't pay a living wage.
GOP: Stop expecting basic jobs to pay a living wage and get an advanced degree!
Average American: I am now getting advanced degree, but I'm broke because you tax my tuition!
GOP: Get a job!
Average American: But the only jobs I can get don't pay a living wage.
GOP: Get an advanced degree.
Average American: You sure you don't want to rethink your stance on gun control?

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Average American: I have no money because my job doesn't pay a living wage.
GOP: Stop expecting basic jobs to pay a living wage and get an advanced degree!
Average American: I am now getting advanced degree, but I'm broke because you tax my tuition!
GOP: Get a job!
Average American: But the only jobs I can get don't pay a living wage.
GOP: Get an advanced degree.
Average American: You sure you don't want to rethink your stance on gun control?

It’s obvious the average American in your example should have rethought his choice of parents.
7G3zITG.png

Reactions: K1052
Jan 25, 2011
I'm still amazed the GOP can get away with doing this via reconciliation while openly stating the tax cuts they sunset just so it can stay under the $1.5T deficit increase will be extended, making the actual deficit increase closer to $2.2T according to estimates. This should be a 60 vote bill.

This while thing is just a giant middle finger to the people about to suffer the most.

Reactions: Kobota

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
This while thing is just a giant middle finger to the people about to suffer the most.
Just wait until the rhetoric meets the road and folks see the changes in person. My parents will be screaming bloody murder when the deductions fly out the windows and they always vote Republican.:eek:

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
THIS IS THE PROBLEM with people....
Most if not all that were conned into voting for Donald Trump are just now fully realizing how wrong they were, but still refuse to admit their ignorance.
I hear A LOT of Trump people now crying about losing their state tax deduction on their federal form.
So.... they say ""WELL, I'LL JUST HAVE TO MOVE TO A NO-STATE-TAX STATE LIKE TEXAS."
And on healthcare, republican ran states refused to expand medicaid as to avoid Obamacare expansion. These republican controlled states had to come up with their own expansion replacement plan as to be allowed to opt-out of Obama's expansion.
So what happened?

Well, these republican controlled states decided to simply turn their expansion over to private insurance.
Why was this bad for people?
Because these Trump republicans that voted for republican governors they now suddenly discovered that a lot of what was fully covered is no longer the case with private insurers like Humana or United Health.
Now, in these opt-out states, the poor schmucks are stuck with paying co-pays for things that were 100% covered and 100% free.
Now, in these opt-out states, people are paying a lot for stuff that use to be or would have been fully covered.
Because these Trump republicans, the fools they be, were conned into voting for republicans and thus their state opted-out of Obamacare expansion, they find themselves not too happy with receiving these medical bills.
And I hear it all the time, "I THOUGHT THIS PROCEDURE WAS COVERED 100%. IT USE TO BE."
Haha, hehe, hoho I say to them.
Sure.... many procedures were covered, in the past, before you elected a republican Obamacare hating governor and Obamacare hating state congress.
See how this works?
YOU vote dump, and then YOU pay (the price).
Hello......

Now we have the repeat of the same with this Trump tax plan.
People that loved Trump and voted for him are NOT getting their promised HUGE tax cut.
Hello....
THEY will be paying, once again, for their stupidity.
Now they realize this, but they still refuse to admit they fell for a con artist with saying, "WELL, THEY'RE ALL CROOKED. IT DOESN'T MATTER."
But it does.... Schmuck.

Do you think that a president Hilary would have forgotten about the middle class in her tax reform?
Do you think a president Hilary would have turned your states healthcare over to higher co-pays and uncovered procedures that were all once covered?
Do you think a president Hilary would have screwed up your pitiful middle-class life as much as these republicans are, have been, and hell bent on doing well into the future?
Better question....
DO YOU EVEN THINK? Ever? At all?

So, as these middle class schmucks that thought Donald Trump was the best thing since sliced bread and now feel the pain of voting stupid, I say boo hoo to you.
You wanted this.
You voted for this.
Shut up, bend over, and take it like a man, Schmuck.

Last edited:

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
THIS IS THE PROBLEM with people....
Most if not all that were conned into voting for Donald Trump are just now fully realizing how wrong they were, but still refuse to admit their ignorance.
I hear A LOT of Trump people now crying about losing their state tax deduction on their federal form.
So.... they say ""WELL, I'LL JUST HAVE TO MOVE TO A NO-STATE-TAX STATE LIKE TEXAS."
And on healthcare, republican ran states refused to expand medicaid as to avoid Obamacare expansion. These republican controlled states had to come up with their own expansion replacement plan as to be allowed to opt-out of Obama's expansion.
So what happened?

Well, these republican controlled states decided to simply turn their expansion over to private insurance.
Why was this bad for people?
Because these Trump republicans that voted for republican governors they now suddenly discovered that a lot of what was fully covered is no longer the case with private insurers like Humana or United Health.
Now, in these opt-out states, the poor schmucks are stuck with paying co-pays for things that were 100% covered and 100% free.
Now, in these opt-out states, people are paying a lot for stuff that use to be or would have been fully covered.
Because these Trump republicans, the fools they be, were conned into voting for republicans and thus their state opted-out of Obamacare expansion, they find themselves not too happy with receiving these medical bills.
And I hear it all the time, "I THOUGHT THIS PROCEDURE WAS COVERED 100%. IT USE TO BE."
Haha, hehe, hoho I say to them.
Sure.... many procedures were covered, in the past, before you elected a republican Obamacare hating governor and Obamacare hating state congress.
See how this works?
YOU vote dump, and then YOU pay (the price).
Hello......

Now we have the repeat of the same with this Trump tax plan.
People that loved Trump and voted for him are NOT getting their promised HUGE tax cut.
Hello....
THEY will be paying, once again, for their stupidity.
Now they realize this, but they still refuse to admit they fell for a con artist with saying, "WELL, THEY'RE ALL CROOKED. IT DOESN'T MATTER."
But it does.... Schmuck.

Do you think that a president Hilary would have forgotten about the middle class in her tax reform?
Do you think a president Hilary would have turned your states healthcare over to higher co-pays and uncovered procedures that were all once covered?
Do you think a president Hilary would have screwed up your pitiful middle-class life as much as these republicans are, have been, and hell bent on doing well into the future?
Better question....
DO YOU EVEN THINK? Ever? At all?

So, as these middle class schmucks that thought Donald Trump was the best thing since sliced bread and now feel the pain of voting stupid, I say boo hoo to you.
You wanted this.
You voted for this.
Shut up, bend over, and take it like a man, Schmuck.

The truly frustrating part is all these non-thinking voters also screw over the voters who actually think about these sorts of things. All we can do is watch. The sad part is nothing will change their minds either, because republicans = good and democrats = bad, no ifs ands or buts about it.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
The donations for political favours really needs to be nixed from your system. It's amazing how blatantly obvious they are being about not really caring for the middle class, yet certain people are gobbling it up.
Would have to pack the SCOTUS for that.