Corona is not so good =(

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
It definitely needs Lime. It's just weaksauce in the flavour department. With Lime it's quite good though, IMO. Nice change of pace.

Prefer other beers though.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: Mo0o
friends brought over corona yesterday and im dirnking one of the remaining bottles from the fridge. not as bad as budweiser but this sh1t is not so good.

Beer doesn't travel or age very well and its flavor is degraded by exposure to light. Corona is in a clear glass bottle and probably is not brewed anywhere close to where you live.

slsmnaz

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Gibson486
I think all bear taste bad.

It can be quite gamey but depends on how it's prepared. When you eat it make sure to squeeze a lime on it for flavor.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: her209
Originally posted by: dartworth
Everything else > American Beer
:roll:
Originally posted by: jman19
idiotic
link
Q: I am doing research into fermentation. Could you tell me the difference between European and American beer and the beer making process? Could you discuss the ingredients, manufacturing process and such? Also is there a web site or research site online, which could help me with this? Thanks for your help, Jim
A: The big differences between American Brewing and European brewing is our usage of rice and maize. All of the major brewers in the USA use one or the other to cut down the body of the beer and so that they can use cheap, high protein 6-row malted barley. European brewers use low protein, higher costing 2-row barley. The types of hops used in the continental lagers and American light lagers are usually the same varieties - all Noble hops. When you get into any of the beers that are not of the light lager variety all bets are off. Americans are no traditionalists some times and very traditional other times. Europeans make a few styles that aren't really made in America too like Berliner Weiss Beer or Sahti from Scandinavia. You could (and many have) written entire books discussing all of the likenesses and the differences between brewing in various places on this planet so I can't go too much into depth. The main difference is the source of fermentable sugars that I mentioned above. Good luck, BrewDude
Q: Could you please explain about the different types of malt. (Ex: 2 row and 6 row malts) Thanks
A: All barley stalks have 6 vertical rows of "flowers" on them. The 2-row or 6 row designation simply has to do with how many fertile "flower" rows a stalk of barley has. When only 2 are fertile then it will only grow 2 large rows of barley on opposite sites of the stalk. When 6 are fertile then all 6 will become barley kernels - more barley per acre but each kernel is smaller to fit in the same room as the 2 kernels on a 2-row variety. The larger kernel has less protein per lb. of kernels because the core is bigger and weighs more that a tiny kernel from the 6 row barley stalk. Lower protein levels is better for home brewers. With high protein levels there can be problems with haze. large brewing companies like A-B and Miller reduce the overall protein levels in their beers by using some rice or corn which have sugar but no protein and are cheap to buy. hope this helps, BrewDude

Umm, crap is crap. Bud, Miller, etc. are crappy American beers. There are plenty of crappy European beers as well.

davestar

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2001
link
Q: I am doing research into fermentation. Could you tell me the difference between European and American beer and the beer making process? Could you discuss the ingredients, manufacturing process and such? Also is there a web site or research site online, which could help me with this? Thanks for your help, Jim
A: The big differences between American Brewing and European brewing is our usage of rice and maize. All of the major brewers in the USA use one or the other to cut down the body of the beer and so that they can use cheap, high protein 6-row malted barley. European brewers use low protein, higher costing 2-row barley. The types of hops used in the continental lagers and American light lagers are usually the same varieties - all Noble hops. When you get into any of the beers that are not of the light lager variety all bets are off. Americans are no traditionalists some times and very traditional other times. Europeans make a few styles that aren't really made in America too like Berliner Weiss Beer or Sahti from Scandinavia. You could (and many have) written entire books discussing all of the likenesses and the differences between brewing in various places on this planet so I can't go too much into depth. The main difference is the source of fermentable sugars that I mentioned above. Good luck, BrewDude
Q: Could you please explain about the different types of malt. (Ex: 2 row and 6 row malts) Thanks
A: All barley stalks have 6 vertical rows of "flowers" on them. The 2-row or 6 row designation simply has to do with how many fertile "flower" rows a stalk of barley has. When only 2 are fertile then it will only grow 2 large rows of barley on opposite sites of the stalk. When 6 are fertile then all 6 will become barley kernels - more barley per acre but each kernel is smaller to fit in the same room as the 2 kernels on a 2-row variety. The larger kernel has less protein per lb. of kernels because the core is bigger and weighs more that a tiny kernel from the 6 row barley stalk. Lower protein levels is better for home brewers. With high protein levels there can be problems with haze. large brewing companies like A-B and Miller reduce the overall protein levels in their beers by using some rice or corn which have sugar but no protein and are cheap to buy. hope this helps, BrewDude

your own reference points out that only macrobrewers use rice and corn to fortify their beers. there's hundreds, if not thousands, of American brewers that make beers on par with their European counterparts.

if you want to be a beer snob, try harder.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
What's with this Tecate sh!t? That beer blows more so than Corona. Negra Modelo or Leon. If I have to drink a non-dark beer, Pacifico is passable, or at worst Dos Equis bottled.

I forgot, Bohemia is also pretty decent.

LeiZaK

Diamond Member
May 25, 2005
Another vote for Negra Modelo... I do like Corona with lime, though. I think it's pretty good for a pale beer.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: davestar
link

your own reference points out that only macrobrewers use rice and corn to fortify their beers. there's hundreds, if not thousands, of American brewers that make beers on par with their European counterparts.

QFT. The "American beers use rice" is such a trite argument at this point. Beer ignorance FTL.

Pegun

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Ktulu
Originally posted by: Coquito
Budweiser is actually considered by many to taste better, myself included.

Originally posted by: SmoochyTX
You can only drink Corona with some lime slices in it. Any other way is improper.

If that was true, wouldn't they brew it with limes? If you have to cover up the taste with something else, then you might as well drink something else.

Here's a little hint. Mexicans love putting lime on stuff; meat, chips, soup, other fruits, and of course some beers. It's not about covering up bad flavor (although Corona isn't really that great a beer), some drunk Mexican but lime into a Corona and it just tasted good.

I think you guys are missing the point of the lime. According to my professor this morning (it was a great class) the lime was put on the bottles for the reason of keeping flies away, since not that many bottles in mexico were clean, and to change the taste of the water, both when the beer was originally brewed.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Descartes
Originally posted by: davestar
link

QFT. The "American beers use rice" is such a trite argument at this point. Beer ignorance FTL.

QFT, yet again ;)

broon

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2002
All Mexican beers are of German origin. Some will use corn or rice because it's cheaper but that won't have as much influence on the taste as the hops or light. Clear and green bottles are not good for beer and can cause a skunky taste.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
I really only hate crappy mass-brewed beer (all AB and Miller products) and very dark beers (Guinness). And I hate them all because of taste. AB and Miller products just don't taste right to me.. maybe it's the amount of water or the crappy ingredients they use. Very dark beers taste like dirt or burnt coffee, neither of which are enjoyable. Give me a good medium colored microbrew.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: joshsquall
I really only hate crappy mass-brewed beer (all AB and Miller products) and very dark beers (Guinness). And I hate them all because of taste. AB and Miller products just don't taste right to me.. maybe it's the amount of water or the crappy ingredients they use. Very dark beers taste like dirt or burnt coffee, neither of which are enjoyable. Give me a good medium colored microbrew.

Not at all true. Stouts will almost certainly taste that way (although I don't agree that it tastes like dirt, it is often bitter like bad coffee--burnt coffee doesn't really taste bitter as all the solubles, including caffeine, have been volatized in the roasting process), but it's part of the style. It would be like criticizing IPA for its hoppy character.

There are many darker ales that a lot more like carmel, chocolate, fruits, etc. than dirt. Belgian Strong Ales in particular can be quite dark, especially those with double to quadruple the malts. My favorite producers of these styles are probably Westmalle, Westvleteren, Rochefort, St Bernardus, and others I'm forgetting.

[edit]I guess we could be arguing semantics. "Very dark" to you might mean only Stout, for example.[/edit]

scott916

Platinum Member
Mar 2, 2005

Not at all true. Stouts will almost certainly taste that way (although I don't agree that it tastes like dirt, it is often bitter like bad coffee--burnt coffee doesn't really taste bitter as all the solubles, including caffeine, have been volatized in the roasting process), but it's part of the style. It would be like criticizing IPA for its hoppy character.

There are many darker ales that a lot more like carmel, chocolate, fruits, etc. than dirt. Belgian Strong Ales in particular can be quite dark, especially those with double to quadruple the malts. My favorite producers of these styles are probably Westmalle, Westvleteren, Rochefort, St Bernardus, and others I'm forgetting.

[edit]I guess we could be arguing semantics. "Very dark" to you might mean only Stout, for example.[/edit]

Where do you typically find St Bernardus? I've read about it on Beer Advocate, and I LOVE trappist ales.

In terms of Corona, I think it's decent, but sure as hell isn't worth the high price it usually goes for.

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000

You are an idiot for making a ignorant statement like this, go visit some real microbrews in the US.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Xyclone
I like "light" beers, including Corona and Heineken. I've never got into ales and lagers ("dark beers"), even though my dad drinks Samuel Adams (only American beer he likes). Are "dark" beers any good?

Sam Adams is the only big brand american beer I like

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001

Yes, very dark to me means stouts. I know that there are dark colored brews which don't exhibit these flavor characteristics, but stouts all pretty much taste like burnt coffee to me.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Aharami
Originally posted by: Xyclone
I like "light" beers, including Corona and Heineken. I've never got into ales and lagers ("dark beers"), even though my dad drinks Samuel Adams (only American beer he likes). Are "dark" beers any good?

Sam Adams is the only big brand american beer I like

I like most of the Sam Adams brews as well. Yuengling is decent but can be skunky sometimes. I actually like Blue Moon quite a bit as well, which is brewed by Molson Coors.

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
Originally posted by: buck

You are an idiot for making a ignorant statement like this, go visit some real microbrews in the US.

to be fair I think generally when someone is talking about 'american beer' they mean the large manufacturers. Coors, Miller, Bud, etc. Not small regional or even small national labels... at which point it's probably true. But that's just my opinion.

To each their own, I'll drive whatever, I personally like Bass with Newcastle up there as well... but I don't think less of anyone who drinks something else, though I say I do just to heckle them.

- Also with Corona I've only really had it with chicken or pizza & limes. I like corona overall I guess, though I probably wouldn't buy/order it.