cop mentality ...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: aswedc
Why not make the speed limit reasonable like 75mph and pull over everyone violating it?

Why stick with this system that makes absolutely no sense unless you want the ability to pull over more or less people at will?

Would it be that hard? I have little doubt the voting public would approve. :confused:

It's impossible to pull over 100% of violators. Sure, HPs are able to run traffic most of the time, but you can't do that in a municipality. AND you can't get enough blanket coverage of highways to tag everyone...unless you want to seriously hike taxes to pay those salaries.

Why stick with this system that makes absolutely no sense unless you want the ability to pull over more or less people at will?
:confused:

The speed limit here in MI is 70 mph on the freeways. People generally travel no less than 75 mph, and more frequently hit 80 mph.

Speeding will always happen.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Not everyone is comfortable doing 75mph... which would make those who want to do that speed very uncomfortable being around them... great differences in speed = very bad.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Why not make the speed limit reasonable like 75mph and pull over everyone violating it?

Would it be that hard? I have little doubt the voting public would approve. :confused:

In many places the speed limit IS high enough. Here in washington it's 60-70, depending on how far out of the city you are. In Cali many places are 75 with a 40MPH minimum speed. Of course, with all the traffic they get you could stop your engine, walk to work, walk back to your car, and get back in without anyone noticing anything amiss...

Don't blame ME just because you live on the wrong side of the country.

aswedc

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2000
It's impossible to pull over 100% of violators. Sure, HPs are able to run traffic most of the time, but you can't do that in a municipality. AND you can't get enough blanket coverage of highways to tag everyone...unless you want to seriously hike taxes to pay those salaries.
I see state troopers doing traffic all the time on the PA turnpike. They sit there while a law breaker passes them by every second, waiting for someone going the speed they'll stop them at. That's why everyone does ten over and there is no respect for the speed limit!

The conclusion can be drawn there is a real, undocumented "speed limit" on any specific road that the vast majority of police enforce. The problem is the 10% of the time you get a trooper who decides to enforce below what all his colleagues do.

I'm not saying this is a very important issue, but surely everyone can agree this is not the best policy.
Not everyone is comfortable doing 75mph... which would make those who want to do that speed very uncomfortable being around them... great differences in speed = very bad.
But that's the way it is. If the speed limit was 75mph everyone in the left lane would keep doing 75 like they already do, and everyone in the right 65 like they already do.

BTW, I'm complaining about PA which has limits of 65mph. And, no, I don't speed except in those damn 55mph highways ;)

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
of course officially there is no quota, but a non official quota somewhat exists.

how do you differentiate between a cop that eats donuts all day and a cop that goes out and do his job?

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: z0mb13
how do you differentiate between a cop that eats donuts all day and a cop that goes out and do his job?
How do you differentiate between a lawyer who lies to the judge all day, and a lawyer who does his job?:p

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I see state troopers doing traffic all the time on the PA turnpike. They sit there while a law breaker passes them by every second, waiting for someone going the speed they'll stop them at. That's why everyone does ten over and there is no respect for the speed limit!

The conclusion can be drawn there is a real, undocumented "speed limit" on any specific road that the vast majority of police enforce. The problem is the 10% of the time you get a trooper who decides to enforce below what all his colleagues do.

I'm not saying this is a very important issue, but surely everyone can agree this is not the best policy.

Do you know why a lot of cops don't stop for just a few over? Because leniant judges consistently let people off for those tickets, and therefore the "line" for stopping people is actually set by a series of judicial decisions.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: rh71
ok, so long as he can't bust me just for flying by him and he didn't have the radar on.
If it's a very 35 mph limit and you fly by at 80 mph, he sure as hell can bust you without Radar/Laser/whatever.

ZV

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: jagec
How do you differentiate between a lawyer who lies to the judge all day, and a lawyer who does his job?:p

thats hard to answer, but the cop question is easy: by the number of tickets he writes.. that indicates he is not eating donuts all the time

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002

thats hard to answer, but the cop question is easy: by the number of tickets he writes.. that indicates he is not eating donuts all the time

Aside from the run-of-the-mill unclever donut crap, you're still wrong. Whenever we're checked out on a call it's entered into the computer. It measures exactly how long we're out on that call and keeps a total.

aswedc

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2000
Do you know why a lot of cops don't stop for just a few over? Because leniant judges consistently let people off for those tickets, and therefore the "line" for stopping people is actually set by a series of judicial decisions.
Hadn't thought about it like that. I suppose that makes sense and there's not really a easy way to fix it.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: jumpr
Sometimes you're lucky, sometimes you're not. Would you rather have 500 more officers on the streets, all performing traffic enforcement?
Personally, I'd rather have better driver training and set the interstates at the 80mph for which they were designed. But that's just me. :p

Granted, if I get a ticket, then I get a ticket and I pay it and don't bitch. I've found that as long as the rest of my driving is smooth and sane then 10-15 over on the interstate doesn't raise eyebrows. Just use my signals and don't pull stupid crap like weaving through traffic or construction zones and I'm fine.

ZV

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Hadn't thought about it like that. I suppose that makes sense and there's not really a easy way to fix it.

:thumbsup:

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: bradruth

Aside from the run-of-the-mill unclever donut crap, you're still wrong. Whenever we're checked out on a call it's entered into the computer. It measures exactly how long we're out on that call and keeps a total.

but you can still be on a call and eat donuts in your car, right? so if a cop issues tickets, at least they know he is working

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
but you can still be on a call and eat donuts in your car, right? so if a cop issues tickets, at least they know he is working

Between dispatch and backup checking up on you every few minutes, no you couldn't get away with sitting in your car and still being checked out on a call.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004

That joke went right over your head :(

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002

That joke went right over your head :(

:eek:

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Well my dad was a Police Officer. You mentioned that they were on motorcycles (sportsbike). Most cops choose to ignore, to an extent, motorcycles. Cruisers are fast and agile but aren't a match for Bikes. Often times trying to catch someone on a bike who doesn't want to be caught is more of a risk than it is worth. Unless the person is doing something explicitly illegal the Police Officer will give them some leeway.

My dads more specific answer was: "I have your mom and your two sisters to worry about. There is no sense in me gambling my life to catch some punk on a bike who doesn't want a ticket for going 5mph over. Of course im going to do my job if something needs to be done though."
-Dads word of wisdom :)

-Kevin

boredhokie

May 7, 2005

Between dispatch and backup checking up on you every few minutes, no you couldn't get away with sitting in your car and still being checked out on a call.

Maybe those cops don't pull people over for going a couple miles over the limit because they know that it's a waste of time and (taxpayer) money to do so. Enforcing such a law so stringently isn't rational and is only done so out of malice on the cop's part, or because he can't think for himself and thinks that the law is an excuse for thinking, rather than a set of guidelines to be taken into account when making a decision.

The way bradruth explains it (blames judges) makes me glad that being a judge requires a decent education. They can better realize what spirit of the law means than the cops with mustaches and shaved heads who can't think in terms other than black or white.

imthebadguy

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2004
Originally posted by: Gibsons
They wait till the end of the month to fill their ticket quota. Everyone procrastinates. :p

Originally posted by: KarenMarie
depends on what day of the month it is and if they have met their quota.

if it is getting close to the end, they will bust anyone for anything to make it. also, in the beginning of the month, they do the same to try to get the quota out of the way early. middle of the month, they mostly couldnt give a toss about much.

:)

Quotas are ILLEGAL. THEY DON'T EXIST.

bull.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: imthebadguy
Originally posted by: Gibsons
They wait till the end of the month to fill their ticket quota. Everyone procrastinates. :p

Originally posted by: KarenMarie
depends on what day of the month it is and if they have met their quota.

if it is getting close to the end, they will bust anyone for anything to make it. also, in the beginning of the month, they do the same to try to get the quota out of the way early. middle of the month, they mostly couldnt give a toss about much.

:)

Quotas are ILLEGAL. THEY DON'T EXIST.

bull.

Sorry, you're wrong.