cop mentality ...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: jumpr
Originally posted by: BigJ
And thats what I mean by "quota." It's not departamental wide, and could be limited to just 2 or 3 officers, but usually there will be the stragglers that need to write out a few more citations just so they don't look like they're slacking, or want to go above and beyond and really crank them out. And this is usually at the end of the month. Hence why people think of it as a "quota."
Quota implies 'specific number.' There is no quota, because there's no guaranteed number of traffic violations in a city in a given month.

What you're describing is productivity. There's nothing wrong with an officer doing his or her job, and writing a few more tickets to 'catch up' is perfectly within the bounds of their jobs (and the law).

Once again: QUOTAS are nonexistent.

Yea I guess I was using the incorrect word for it. But still, what I said is why people get the wrong impression of police officers trying to go above and beyond their duty, or playing "catch up." It's wrong because there is no quota, but I could see how they could misinterpret it that way.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: rh71
if I fly by a cop like the bike did, and the cruiser is just sitting there waiting for a light, would I practically be scot-free ? He obviously wouldn't have his radar gun out...
There are no radar "guns." Police cars generally have dash-mounted radar units which can be turned on or off at the press of a button (and the officers I know use it in 'pulse' mode, which turns it on for a split second to detect speed and then turns it off again, to deter radar detectors.

They are on whenever the car is on.
What are the things that look like megaphones then ? I see those being used on the highways here. They're pointing at us with it.

Anyway, what I'm trying to get at is... if I see a cruiser waiting at a light and I zoom by, he wouldn't have anything on me, right ? He can't just come after me because he "thinks" I was speeding...
He sure can...if his radar unit is active, then he can come after you when the speed reading pops up on his display. Or, he can 'pace' you and judge your speed by looking at his (calibrated) speedo.
ok, so long as he can't bust me just for flying by him and he didn't have the radar on.

aswedc

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2000
So? What's wrong with a police department wanting its officers to perform traffic enforcement? Part of the police department's mission is to enforce the law and protect citizens. Traffic enforcement accomplishes both of those goals and also brings in money for the city.
The problem is the percentage of drivers obeying speed limits is close to zero in some areas.

This makes traffic enforcement an unfairly distributed tax.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: bradruth
What are the things that look like megaphones then ? I see those being used on the highways here. They're pointing at us with it.

Those are laser, not radar.
I see... so the term "radar gun" is a misnomer ?

BTW, what technology is used in baseball ?

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
ok, so long as he can't bust me just for flying by him and he didn't have the radar on.

We have an ordinance called "Careless Driving (speed related)" which can be used when a vehicle is obviously speeding, but we don't have an official reading.

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002

Those are laser, not radar.
I see... so the term "radar gun" is a misnomer ?

No, radar "guns" are fixed on the dash and in the rear window of a squad car. The portable handheld devices are laser "guns."

Originally posted by: aswedc
So? What's wrong with a police department wanting its officers to perform traffic enforcement? Part of the police department's mission is to enforce the law and protect citizens. Traffic enforcement accomplishes both of those goals and also brings in money for the city.
The problem is the percentage of drivers obeying speed limits is close to 0% in some areas.

Slow down and you'll have nothing to worry about.

I love when people say "selective enforcement is so unfair!!!"!!?!?1" but they knowingly and regularly break the law.

Law-breakers shouldn't complain about selective enforcement. Sometimes you're lucky, sometimes you're not. Would you rather have 500 more officers on the streets, all performing traffic enforcement?

myusername

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2003

Sure. Instead of using or making a number, he can just cite you for reckless driving.

We have an ordinance called "Careless Driving (speed related)" which can be used when a vehicle is obviously speeding, but we don't have an official reading.
Hmmm, here it's called "Basic Speed Law" (MI 257.628) ;)

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
another one for the cops out there.. 2 cars weaving on the highway, following each other... cop is on the side of the highway and witnesses this... which one does he go after ? Or both - how ?

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: imthebadguy
cops are idiots. end of story, i have huge rant which i may type later for i am watching apprentice now :)

Bet it just BURNS YOU UP that those "idiots" gave you a speeding ticket, huh?

The problem is the percentage of drivers obeying speed limits is close to zero in some areas.

Yeah, guess what? It's a graduated tax. The more you speed, the more you pay, and if you only speed a certain amount...you don't have to pay ANYTHING because you won't get pulled over.

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
another one for the cops out there.. 2 cars weaving on the highway, following each other... cop is on the side of the highway and witnesses this... which one does he go after ? Or both - how ?

It's not impossible to stop 2 vehicles at once.

I've seen episodes of COPS before where one officer pulled over two cars racing. :)

Practically, a cop might pull over just one, or he could pull over the first one, and then use his loudspeaker and tell the car to follow him while he pulls over the second car.

Either way, the officer will likely have plate details for both vehicles already.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
^ mind expanding on that answer bradruth ?

And realistically, what would you do ?

aswedc

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2000

I love when people say "selective enforcement is so unfair!!!"!!?!?1" but they knowingly and regularly break the law.
"The law" isn't some holy book.

You don't think it's unethical to ban something everyone does and then punish a couple people here and there?

On those stretches of highway that suddently shift from 65 to 55 for no apparent reason I don't think I've ever seen someone going below 60.

You don't think it's unethical to ban something everyone does and then punish a couple people here and there?

On those stretches of highway that suddently shift from 65 to 55 for no apparent reason I don't think I've ever seen someone going below 60.
The law isn't some 'holy book,' but if you live in this country, expect to receive Social Security some day, and travel on roads paid for by the government, you should expect to face consequences when you disregard the law.

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
^ mind expanding on that answer bradruth ?

I work in a city, so it's different for me than it would be for HPs, but I've had several coworkers stop multiple vehicles at once. Even if you can't get both stopped yourself all you need to do is radio the next unit with the plates and he'll tag it for you.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
The law isn't some 'holy book,' but if you live in this country, expect to receive Social Security some day, and travel on roads paid for by the government, you should expect to face consequences when you disregard the law.
our generation isn't seeing any social security. ;)

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001

I speed occassionally, and I disagree with the 55MPH speed limit, especially in on Long Island where it should be 65. That said, If I knowingly speed, I don't b!tch and moan when I get a speeding ticket.

aswedc

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2000
Yeah, guess what? It's a graduated tax. The more you speed, the more you pay, and if you only speed a certain amount...you don't have to pay ANYTHING because you won't get pulled over.
Uh no, you're not safe as soon as you go 1mph over if the cop wants to pull you over or give you a ticket. I know people who have been. And then most of the time no one cares if you're <10 over. Confusing, huh?

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Uh no, you're not safe as soon as you go 1mph over if the cop wants to pull you over or give you a ticket. I know people who have been. And then most of the time no one cares if you're <10 over. Confusing, huh?

Not really. It's actually quite black and white: if you don't want to get a ticket for speeding...here it is....

...wait for it....

...it's coming...

...ready?....

DON'T SPEED.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001

And if you're only going 2-3MPH over the limit, there is a GREAT chance you can get out of the ticket if you know what you're doing.

That's why most people never receive tickets unless they're 5MPH+ over the limit.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004

It's not impossible to stop 2 vehicles at once.

lol, I saw a picture once of a cop car sitting behind like 12 corvettes all in a line at the side of the road. Some club meet, they were all speeding and got screwed :p

You'd feel better if they gave tickets to EVERYONE? For the most part, the people who speed the most get pulled over, which is fair. You don't GET tickets going 5 over, unless you're enormously unlucky.

our generation isn't seeing any social security. ;)
:p

I look at it as "implied consent." By using the roads and having a valid license plate on your vehicle, you're basically saying, "Yup, I know. I might not always follow the law, but I will take full responsibility when I'm caught breaking it."

By registering a vehicle, you're entering into a contract with the the state gov't to obey traffic laws in your state (and in the other 49 of 'em). When you break them, the consequences are clearly spelled out.

aswedc

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2000
Why not make the speed limit reasonable like 75mph and pull over everyone violating it?

Why stick with this system that makes absolutely no sense unless you want the ability to pull over more or less people at will?

Would it be that hard? I have little doubt the voting public would approve. :confused: