Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra vs Liquid Pro

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
I'm glad this was of some use to you.

I wanted to give a brief update. I thought I had applied too much Liquid Ultra for the 5GHz run so I pulled everything apart and used the smallest amount I could but still covering everything properly. I ran Aida64 for 1 hour but saw no improvement in temps. In fact, they were 1c higher than the previous run leaving me to wonder "how much is too much?"

I have recently received 3x Ultra and 3x Pro and will be testing again with various amounts to try to answer this.

That is what I observed and attempted to communicate in my thread with the various TIMs. (look at the liquid ultra results as well as the "too much NT-H1" test)

It is a Goldilocks situation. Not too much, not too little, but just right.

And there is a huge range on what constitutes "just right", it is not finicky.

But it is very easy to get too little, and not just with NT-H1. It is easy to get too little TIM with a number of TIMs (as I came to learn through experience).

I would not be surprised if people who go to those crazy efforts of pre-spreading their TIM with a baggie, or using credit cards to remove every ounce of excess TIM, I would not be surprised if they are actually doing more harm than good and have missed the optimum point in terms of lowering temperatures.

ehume

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2009
tw33k-

This is excellent. Please post a link to your OCN thread. You deserve a +rep.

Laststop311

Apr 24, 2013
I always read it's best to let the pressure of the heat sink spread the thermal material. Is brushing this stuff on really the best way to go? It seems this material is giving the best results. Also, just to be sure is the ultra version safe for aluminum? I'm leaning towards the ultra as people have said it spreads a bit easier and is basically = performance.

Biggiesized

Jan 13, 2009
Should you brush the underside of the IHS or is painting the die directly enough for good conductivity?

GreenChile

Sep 4, 2007
Should you brush the underside of the IHS or is painting the die directly enough for good conductivity?
In my experience, the CLU should be applied to both surfaces for best results. I found the CLU tended to bead up when first applied and I had to work it in to get good adhesion. If you only apply to one surface, it may not bond completely with the other.

Perhaps over time it will adsorb to the other surface completely but I wasn't willing to take that risk.

Biggiesized

Jan 13, 2009
Is there a way to guesstimate where the die will make contact with the underside of the IHS? Or can you scientifically measure it?

GreenChile

Sep 4, 2007
It doesn't need to be exact. I spread out an oversized portion on the underside of the IHS that ended up being somewhat oval shaped and corresponded to the orientation of the die. As long as you don't apply so much that it risks dripping down, you will be fine.

elliotbeech1

Feb 26, 2018
I've been unable to find a comparison between these two compounds so I thought I'd compare them myself. I've had it confirmed by the CEO of Coollaboratory that Liquid Ultra is rated at 38.4w/mk and Liquid Pro is rated at 32.6w/mk.

LL

System
CPU: Intel 3770K @ 4.7GHz 1.224v (de-lidded)
Mainboard: ASUS Maximus V Formula
Cooler: Corsair H100 (2x Corsair SP120/2x Scyte Ultra Kaze 3000)
Memory: 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer @ 2000MHz
SSD Crucial M4 128GB
Graphics: Sapphire 7950
Case: Corsair 800D
Operating System: Windows 8 Pro x64

The case is very well cooled. There are a total of 9 case fans all intake. The H100 exhausts out the top.

I have a temp sensor measuring the room temperature. Attached to it is a sensor which is inside the case, next to the mainboard. There are 4 more temperature sensors attached to the fan controller at various points inside the case. The case temperature was recorded at the start, after 15 minutes, after 30 minutes, after 45 minutes and at the end of the testing. The average was then used.

I used the latest version of Aida64 running "Stress FPU" for 1 hour. FPU stressing means AIDA64 System Stability Test will use a floating-point calculation task that stresses the FPU part of your processor. Modern processors all have an integrated FPU, and from all the components that are integrated, the FPU is the most complex one. Hence stressing only the FPU actually stresses most of your processor, and usually drives the processor to its maximum temperature. The average core temperature is recorded by Aida64.

The compound was painted on the die, on both sides of the IHS and on the base of the H100. Each compound was applied, tested then re-applied and tested again. The best results were posted

LL

Liquid Ultra
LL

Liquid Pro
LL

LL

Liquid Ultra has a delta temp of 3.1c lower than Liquid Pro in my system

3770K @ 5GHz 1.416v

Liquid Pro
LL

Liquid Ultra
LL

LL

This time Liquid Pro was 1.71c cooler than Ultra.

If we use a +/- 2c margin of error there is nothing separating these two compounds. Liquid Ultra is better to work with. I wouldn't use the cotton tips that are supplied with Liquid Pro because I found more compound stayed on the cotton than on the IHS. Also there is the risk of cotton fibers sticking to the die or IHS which would impact temps. I used the brush that is supplied with Liquid Ultra which makes the application very easy.

Cleaning is another issue. Liquid Ultra simply wipes off but Liquid Pro often forms tiny balls which when accidentally smeared leaves quite a big mess. I had the stuff all over my fingers by the time I finished wiping it off.

If you are using one or the other than stick with it. There is nothing to gain by switching.
Pro is 80w/mk not 32.6

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Nice necro.

And Pro isn't better. Not really. There's a reason why people started using CLU instead, and it isn't just for the relative ease of application.

Besides, Conductonaut is the new hotness. I still like CLU though.

elliotbeech1

Feb 26, 2018
Nice necro.

And Pro isn't better. Not really. There's a reason why people started using CLU instead, and it isn't just for the relative ease of application.

Besides, Conductonaut is the new hotness. I still like CLU though.
Why isn't it better

stuff_me_good

Nov 2, 2013
I had second time CLP solidify between GPU core and bare copper cooler. Now I applied CLU but it will take couple of years until I know if it's any better.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Why isn't it better

I've seen numerous benchmarks showing that CLU actually won, despite people's assertion that CLP had a higher thermal conductivity.

I had second time CLP solidify between GPU core and bare copper cooler. Now I applied CLU but it will take couple of years until I know if it's any better.

I've had CLU basically weld copper -> copper interfaces together. Like, hard weld them. If you apply a very thin layer, it'll do that (which is what you want for thermal transfer). I had a lapped, delidded/relidded IHS stick to my lapped NH-D14 and getting that thing off was not easy. I had to twist it off with needlenose pliers.

Reactions: elliotbeech1

elliotbeech1

Feb 26, 2018
I've seen numerous benchmarks showing that CLU actually won, despite people's assertion that CLP had a higher thermal conductivity.

I've had CLU basically weld copper -> copper interfaces together. Like, hard weld them. If you apply a very thin layer, it'll do that (which is what you want for thermal transfer). I had a lapped, delidded/relidded IHS stick to my lapped NH-D14 and getting that thing off was not easy. I had to twist it off with needlenose pliers.
Is delidding dangerous?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Eh, not really. There's delid tools available for the major Intel CPUs where you'd want to do such a thing (any AMD chips worthy of note are soldered, which is a much more dangerous proposition for delidding). Main issue is if you try to do any direct-die cooling, there's a risk of cracking the die.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Eh, not really. There's delid tools available for the major Intel CPUs where you'd want to do such a thing (any AMD chips worthy of note are soldered, which is a much more dangerous proposition for delidding). Main issue is if you try to do any direct-die cooling, there's a risk of cracking the die.
Well its the lack of Solder on the Intel that makes delidding a decent solution. I know with Ryzen, there was only like a 1C difference between lidded or delidded with a liquid metal paste replacement.

PontiacGTX

Oct 16, 2013
Well its the lack of Solder on the Intel that makes delidding a decent solution. I know with Ryzen, there was only like a 1C difference between lidded or delidded with a liquid metal paste replacement.
no the difference was greater than 1c,what you ae describing doesnt makes sense, the physical property of the CLU and any liquid thermal compund is FAR different to the commong TIM like NT H1,MX4 or any mainstream TIM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkb4NmeONqY?t=720s

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
no the difference was greater than 1c,what you ae describing doesnt makes sense, the physical property of the CLU and any liquid thermal compund is FAR different to the commong TIM like NT H1,MX4 or any mainstream TIM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkb4NmeONqY?t=720s

I said Ryzen not Ryzen G.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz_-Q5QzRqg

Same guy not only delidding but also direct die cooling saw a 1C difference. The Iridium solution AMD used at least on first gen Ryzen made delidding pretty useless outside LN2.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
So you are saying that the same guy you are using to tell me I am wrong doesn't know what he is doing and was wrong on my example?