Consumer 7nm GPUs from AMD are late 2019 to early 2020

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
I think the RTX pricing convinced them to do it.

Agree. Probably didn't plan for it initial because RTX 2080 level isn't exactly great with the 16 gb hbm2 tax. AMD probably expected to have 0 change on performance/$ and then NV jacked the prices up again and makes sense to then also enter the market at high prices.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yeah it did, Navi is pushed to the back now, late 2019 is definitive now.

Huh? there is now a 7nm consumer GPU from AMD at the start of 2019...a full year off of the thread title. Look, it was a surprise to nearly everyone, so no reason to feign arrogance here.

Muhammed

Jul 8, 2009
Huh? there is now a 7nm consumer GPU from AMD at the start of 2019...a full year off of the thread title. Look, it was a surprise to nearly everyone, so no reason to feign arrogance here.
It's not new man, it's Vega 20!

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
At least we know the difference between Navi and Vega 20. The thread title was correct.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Same performance as 2080 but double the VRAM and $100 cheaper. It's not ideal but it's better than what nVidia is offering.

I predict a 2080 price cut with possible drops for the 2070 and 2080TI as well.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Same performance as 2080 but double the VRAM and $100 cheaper. It's not ideal but it's better than what nVidia is offering.

I predict a 2080 price cut with possible drops for the 2070 and 2080TI as well.
2080 is the same price.
And like I already said the GPU will not be fast enough to need or utilize more than 8 or 10gb of memory before it's performance is too slow to matter. Its a waste of money on a card of this performance. 12gb is overkill.

$699 2080....
https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E1...mODJCltMPTwZyFu96GzT9fLllDZa505hoC76kQAvD_BwE

Reactions: reb0rn and Muhammed

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I for one am thrilled that AMD chose to release an update dGPU sometime earlier than Q4 2019. I didn't think it would happen. They need something faster than Vega64.

Reactions: AtenRa

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
I for one am thrilled that AMD chose to release an update dGPU sometime earlier than Q4 2019. I didn't think it would happen. They need something faster than Vega64.
Yeah, at least the launch date is a nice surprise.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
Is there any truth to the rumor of a 7nm version of Vega 64 with 15-20% better performance than Vega 64 for around $250?

arandomguy

Sep 3, 2013
Is there any truth to the rumor of a 7nm version of Vega 64 with 15-20% better performance than Vega 64 for around $250?

The rumor you're likely referring to was that Navi later this year would target the RTX 2070 at $250.

Now while more time will have passed to ease away from the upward pressure mining put on cards and costs on GDDR6 that rumor still seemed a bit optimistic. To hit that type of performance target will likely require the aforementioned GDDR6 and die size at least comparable to Polaris. At $250 that would mean even lower margins than the RX 590 that just released. Not to mention given the reveal of Radeon VII at $699 with RTX 2080 performance how much that would under cut it in maybe just 6 months given the speculated time line.

I don't know if you want to hear this or not but a lot of people over state (or falsely believe in) how aggressive AMD actually is with prices. Take this from someone who does wait for AMD and therefore experiences why it doesn't actually work out as well as people make out to. The last time AMD actually disrupted the GPU market with a release was with Hawaii and the 2xx series back in the end of 2013. Since then every product has basically been priced in line with Nvidia. They might slightly undercut (which arguably isn't meaningful given the wait and other arguable differences) or the product actually ends up price capped due to what Nvidia set (basically see all their consumer HBM GPU releases).

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
I don't know if you want to hear this or not but a lot of people over state (or falsely believe in) how aggressive AMD actually is with prices. Take this from someone who does wait for AMD and therefore experiences why it doesn't actually work out as well as people make out to. The last time AMD actually disrupted the GPU market with a release was with Hawaii and the 2xx series back in the end of 2013. Since then every product has basically been priced in line with Nvidia. They might slightly undercut (which arguably isn't meaningful given the wait and other arguable differences) or the product actually ends up price capped due to what Nvidia set (basically see all their consumer HBM GPU releases).

Exactly.

The rumor was outlandishly "too good to be true". I don't know where anyone gets the idea that AMD is willing to be the least bit aggressive on pricing given recent history. Look at polaris, then Vega, then Polaris Refresh, the Polaris re-refresh (590). AMD is NOT the least bit aggressive on improving price/performance, they are content to essentially charge what NVidia does.

Reactions: godihatework

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Navi will probably replace Polaris, unless the rumoured Navi30 appears (don't count on it).

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
The rumor you're likely referring to was that Navi later this year would target the RTX 2070 at $250.

Now while more time will have passed to ease away from the upward pressure mining put on cards and costs on GDDR6 that rumor still seemed a bit optimistic. To hit that type of performance target will likely require the aforementioned GDDR6 and die size at least comparable to Polaris. At $250 that would mean even lower margins than the RX 590 that just released. Not to mention given the reveal of Radeon VII at $699 with RTX 2080 performance how much that would under cut it in maybe just 6 months given the speculated time line.

I still have and use my Radeon 7950 (tahiti)on my Ryzen test system. 3GB of video ram. I think I paid $220 for it new. It was a great card for it's time. I almost pulled the trigger on a Vega 64 for $340 + tax before Christmas (new) but it had the blower cooler and the power use on the Vega 64 is outrageous.

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
Exactly.

The rumor was outlandishly "too good to be true". I don't know where anyone gets the idea that AMD is willing to be the least bit aggressive on pricing given recent history. Look at polaris, then Vega, then Polaris Refresh, the Polaris re-refresh (590). AMD is NOT the least bit aggressive on improving price/performance, they are content to essentially charge what NVidia does.

Yes, but maybe - the last few years AMD have been essentially fighting for their existence/diverting all their funding to zen.

When Navi appears it'll - perhaps! - be the first time they've got a credibly competitive architecture and enough money in hand to be at least modestly aggressive.

So they might plausibly try a little. Or not of course!

Reactions: Kenmitch

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It's not new man, it's Vega 20!

At least we know the difference between Navi and Vega 20. The thread title was correct.

This is why very few take you guys seriously around here.

Here is the thread title, again, even though it is clearly posted for both of you to see--including the one of you that actually created the thread:

Consumer 7nm GPUs from AMD are late 2019 to early 2020

Now, do continue. How is the thread title still accurate?

lifeblood

Oct 17, 2001
Exactly.

I don't think AMD really can undercut NVidia. If AMD charges $50 less for equal cards, Nvidia can just lower their price $50, so why bother? Nvidia has plenty of cash in reserve to play price wars, AMD doesn't. But as stated above, Navi may change that. With Navi being 7nm they may actually be able to lower the price. However, I'm not sure they'll want to.

kawi6rr

Oct 17, 2013
Great news from AMD and great news for us consumers. Sick of Nvidia jacking prices and preying on bonehead consumers willing to dish out money on unreasonably priced Nvidia cards.

Last edited:

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
So what. Its 7nm. Dont act like it was expected. It was the opposite.
I don't even think amd expected it. Its clearly not a consumer card. But who could have predicted nv would jack prices like that. Insane.

It was pretty much totally expected(at least by me) since the Radeon Instinct was announced. That they would repurpose the 7nm Vega for consumers was pretty much a given.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Great news from AMD and great news for us consumers. Sick of Nvidia jacking prices and preying on bonehead consumers willing to dish out money on unreasonably priced Nvidia cards.

What do you even mean by this post? AMD didn't bring prices down, they just slapped their card right there with NV's with less features (features being subjective to the buyer, but at least from my consumer friends bullet points matter!).

Kudos to AMD for bring something new, I hope it changes perception (doubt it) because the price is already drawing ire.

Lose/Lose situation. Prices were fine when mining was still happening (well, to posters here who were mining not caring of any after affects) now that everyone is jacking prices "(they) can't keep getting away with it *sobbing*".

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I don't think AMD really can undercut NVidia. If AMD charges $50 less for equal cards, Nvidia can just lower their price $50, so why bother? Nvidia has plenty of cash in reserve to play price wars, AMD doesn't. But as stated above, Navi may change that. With Navi being 7nm they may actually be able to lower the price. However, I'm not sure they'll want to.

I'm not sure if that is true this round. The RTX cards use huge dies for the their ray tracing features. If there was ever a generation recently where AMD could afford to undercut Nvidia, this might be it.

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
What do you even mean by this post? AMD didn't bring prices down, they just slapped their card right there with NV's with less features (features being subjective to the buyer, but at least from my consumer friends bullet points matter!).

Kudos to AMD for bring something new, I hope it changes perception (doubt it) because the price is already drawing ire.

Lose/Lose situation. Prices were fine when mining was still happening (well, to posters here who were mining not caring of any after affects) now that everyone is jacking prices "(they) can't keep getting away with it *sobbing*".

The driver situation remains to be seen, but AMD did start the Vega 7 presentation positioned @ content creators and then pivoted to gaming performance. If AMD supplies FE type drives for Vega 7 then Vega 7 is stupidly cheap for that use case. It doesn't help gamers being dual use, but there is at least an avenue to understand the pricing.

Edit: Everyone should go back and look at the picture of the card Lisa held up. That fan shroud is straight up Frontier Edition design with the red R led in the corner. I don't remember any consumer AMD GPU that included that. I think AMD spent a lot of time on gaming to sell a FE card. Forgot about the limited edition cards.

Last edited: