Consumer 7nm GPUs from AMD are late 2019 to early 2020

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stryke1983

Jan 1, 2016
Same performance as 2080 but double the VRAM and $100 cheaper. It's not ideal but it's better than what nVidia is offering.

I predict a 2080 price cut with possible drops for the 2070 and 2080TI as well.

It's practically the same as what Nvidia is offering. With the dubious future benefits of the extra VRAM vs the dubious future benefits of the RTX and DLSS features on the 2080. Performance and price are the same assuming AMD is being honest with their benchmarks which I think they are this time. So this card is basically just for those remaining people who wanted 2080 price/performance but refuse to buy Nvidia. While it's nice that AMD now have something in that tier this hasn't given us anything we didn't already have.

Reactions: Muhammed and Elfear

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
The tech world is a funny place. Trying to please everybody seems like an impossible feat. Use the thread title as an example.....Clearly it's been proven untrue but the OP is sticking by his guns and leaving it as is.....Others defend the position.

Reactions: Feld and prtskg

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
The driver situation remains to be seen, but AMD did start the Vega 7 presentation positioned @ content creators and then pivoted to gaming performance. If AMD supplies FE type drives for Vega 7 then Vega 7 is stupidly cheap for that use case. It doesn't help gamers being dual use, but there is at least an avenue to understand the pricing.

I worry because from following Vega Frontier Edition users, I feel it was the driver situation that left the worst taste in their mouths. And I don't mean the meme "LoLz AMD DrIv3rs" nonsense. AMD delivered poor driver support for the Frontier Edition users. And if this is a rebrand of a prosumer card being aimed at gamers, I hope they got it all sorted out.

EDIT: Just remember the original Vega Frontier Edition's launch. It's poor gaming performance was excused because it was a "prosumer card" not "aimed for gaming." AMD sort of fudged the line with their own marketing by promoting the card as a GAMING card with the flip of a software switch. End result was the Prosumer versions (as should) under performed the Vega consumer variants. And the drivers weren't even backwards compatible, ie you couldn't use the current Vega-Consumer drivers with the Frontier Editions cards without tweaking them.

Edit: Everyone should go back and look at the picture of the card Lisa held up. That fan shroud is straight up Frontier Edition design with the red R led in the corner. I don't remember any consumer AMD GPU that included that. I think AMD spent a lot of time on gaming to sell a FE card.

Limited Edition cards had the R. So it's not the first time consumers saw that version of the shroud.

https://videocardz.com/71339/amd-radeon-rx-vega-64-limited-edition-and-liquid-edition-launch-gallery
https://www.amazon.com/XFX-Radeon-Graphic-Cards-RX-VEGMTSFX6/dp/B074DKD3M3
https://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-LIMITED-Graphics-21275-01-20G/dp/B074HC93W8

Seems like you can still buy one if you're in the market:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131726&Description=vega 64&cm_re=vega_64-_-14-131-726-_-Product

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@railven, the only thing I dislike about my VegaFE is that it won't undervolt very well and that drivers are indeed kind of funky. If all I did was use the pro driver stack, I'd be fine. Those load right up, no problem, 99% of the time. Sadly, you have to use the gaming drivers if you want to touch anything but fan speed. Even 3rd-party OC tools will fail due to the pro driver. So you get whatever gaming drivers AMD gives you, and those can be buggy as hell. Right now I'm stuck on 18.8.1 since 18.9.3 does bad things. Bad. Things.

I got mine on sale for $750 when most RX64s were $800 or higher. Today it doesn't make a lot of sense, but at the time, it was a steal.

$700 for Vega VII with mainline gaming drivers would be pretty nice. I'm prolly gonna get one.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
@railven, the only thing I dislike about my VegaFE is that it won't undervolt very well and that drivers are indeed kind of funky. If all I did was use the pro driver stack, I'd be fine. Those load right up, no problem, 99% of the time. Sadly, you have to use the gaming drivers if you want to touch anything but fan speed. Even 3rd-party OC tools will fail due to the pro driver. So you get whatever gaming drivers AMD gives you, and those can be buggy as hell. Right now I'm stuck on 18.8.1 since 18.9.3 does bad things. Bad. Things.

I got mine on sale for $750 when most RX64s were $800 or higher. Today it doesn't make a lot of sense, but at the time, it was a steal.

$700 for Vega VII with mainline gaming drivers would be pretty nice. I'm prolly gonna get one.

This pretty much fits what I've read. The product was good, but poor driver support kept it from shining for the duality it was sold as. That aside, reading the new alleged info, it makes it seem more that this card is a straight "gaming" card and perhaps won't suffer any duality issues the prior Vega FE suffered. Which is probably the best bet for AMD.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2004
Didn't they add a switch in the consumer/gaming drivers where you can tell it to optimize for Compute or Graphics? I'm curious how much that changes things (even just compute performance compared to the full Pro software on the Frontier Edition cards). Which that probably wouldn't help if its the pro stuff that's working well, but maybe its their way of offering that situation moving forward (and hence they ditch the Frontier Edition), and unifies their software development for these types of cards. You'd think it'd be the opposite though.

I'd probably see if there's a way of altering the BIOS to get reduced voltage, but then I'm guessing that's probably extra difficult on anything aimed at Pros at all. (This is all about the Vega Frontier Edition, not Vega VII.)

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Didn't they add a switch in the consumer/gaming drivers where you can tell it to optimize for Compute or Graphics? I'm curious how much that changes things (even just compute performance compared to the full Pro software on the Frontier Edition cards). Which that probably wouldn't help if its the pro stuff that's working well, but maybe its their way of offering that situation moving forward (and hence they ditch the Frontier Edition), and unifies their software development for these types of cards. You'd think it'd be the opposite though.

I'd probably see if there's a way of altering the BIOS to get reduced voltage, but then I'm guessing that's probably extra difficult on anything aimed at Pros at all. (This is all about the Vega Frontier Edition, not Vega VII.)

I haven't noticed any meaningful switches related to compute or graphics/rendering performance. Maybe I should do a little research later and see if I can find something. I use the gaming driver 100% of the time, so if the switch is in the Pro drivers then I wouldn't know about it.

I used to hack the hell out of my Hawaii BIOS files for low voltage operation when software controls were a non-starter, but on this VegaFE? Well:

https://www.overclock.net/forum/67-amd/1633446-preliminary-view-amd-vega-bios.html

I haven't had the courage to try it yet.