Dan1717

Oct 15, 2017
Hi, I am trying to connect my Denon AV receiver to my home internet network. The receiver has a wired ethernet port, but no wireless. My modem and router are upstairs, and the receiver is downstairs in a room that I have just retrofitted to be a home theater. I'm trying to decide what the best option would be. I'm looking at buying a simple wireless adapter versus a Wi-Fi extender with an ethernet port versus a powerline adapter. The wireless signal in my basement is not as strong as it is upstairs, however seems to do an ok job with streaming Netflix and things of that sort through a Roku stick that I have plugged into the back of the receiver, and up to this point the signal has not been a source of real frustration. I have not tried streaming any 3-D content. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dan1717

Oct 15, 2017
That would be my preference but the route is very circuitous and can't do not without a lot of destruction unfortunately.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
That would be my preference but the route is very circuitous and can't do not without a lot of destruction unfortunately.

Then maybe powerline or moca. Worst case wifi router configured as wireless bridge.

Dan1717

Oct 15, 2017
Ok, I'm thinking I'm just going to get a cheap wireless adapter for now until I decide it's worth it to go through the hassle of trying to get Ethernet down there. Thanks for the help!

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Ok, I'm thinking I'm just going to get a cheap wireless adapter for now until I decide it's worth it to go through the hassle of trying to get Ethernet down there. Thanks for the help!

how would a wireless adapter work? your receiver cannot talk to a generic wifi usb adapter. They tend to have proprietary ones.

Dan1717

Oct 15, 2017
how would a wireless adapter work? your receiver cannot talk to a generic wifi usb adapter. They tend to have proprietary ones.

It's a Denon receiver, according to them I can use a universal adapter with an Ethernet out port (not a USB adapter). I can't see that they even offer their own proprietary adapter. Who knows though, I might be wrong...

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
It's a Denon receiver, according to them I can use a universal adapter with an Ethernet out port (not a USB adapter). I can't see that they even offer their own proprietary adapter. Who knows though, I might be wrong...

then it's a wireless bridge :p

I would just get a wifi router with bridge mode. chances are the radio and antenna on it is better than a wifi adapter

Cr0nJ0b

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2004
meettomy.site
I've been through this more times that I like. I ended up with wired connections for anything that streams to avoid buffering. A wifi bridge might work if it's good (but would be expensive). The powerline ethernet is a good cheap option. Low interference, so as to avoid drops, not much bandwidth though. Also with powerline you need to plug directly into the circuit and some circuits don't bridge in my experience.

Dan1717

Oct 15, 2017
Update, went to Walmart and grabbed a net gear powerline 1000 just to see how speeds compare and believe it or not they are pretty darn close to the Ethernet speeds upstairs, within about 10-15% slower than the wired connection depending on the speed test website. Ends up about 4-5x faster than wireless downstairs. Even though it's not as good as running cable, going to go with it for now and see how it works out, until I have a need for higher speeds down there and feel like ripping up some wall. Thanks everyone for your help!!!