Confirmed - i9 9900k will have soldered IHS, no more toothpaste TIM

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
In fact, AMD is launching a Ryzen Threadripper 2920X with 12 cores and 24 threads for USD 649 (https://www.anandtech.com/show/1344...4core-threadripper-2-cpus-coming-late-october ).

This may be a contender to the i9-9900K. And, at this price point, it may mean that AMD is expecting the i9-9900K to cost in the USD 550-600 range.

You have to pay 300-400 USD just for the motherboard, there is a reason why Threadripper doesn't matter really. Threadripper is no contender for Intels or AMDs mainstream.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
You have to pay 300-400 USD just for the motherboard, there is a reason why Threadripper doesn't matter really. Threadripper is no contender for Intels or AMDs mainstream.
They start at $269 (open box, but new) and one of the best is $319 (Taichi), But they also have 4 channel memory. In anything but gaming, that 12 core TR will demolish the 9900k.

It depends on your use.

Reactions: Drazick

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Personally I think the i9 branding is a mistake. They are diluting the strength of a brand that was built in over a decade. Nvidia marketing got this right: if you're going to gouge, do it with your strong product branding, not some new invention.

Well NV just released their new RTX series driving price gouging to a new extreme. So in fact if 9900k is in fact $580, they are doing exactly the same. new brand & gouging.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
They start at $269 (open box, but new) and one of the best is $319 (Taichi), But they also have 4 channel memory. In anything but gaming, that 12 core TR will demolish the 9900k.

It depends on your use.

So you have to pay 200 USD more for the board and in many desktop applications and all games you will get worse performance than the 9900k. Probably even for HEVC encoding stuff because it doesn't scale well with many cores. As I said Threadripper is no contender for AMD and Intels mainstream because the market share is a joke compared to the mainstream platform.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
So you have to pay 200 USD more for the board and in many desktop applications and all games you will get worse performance than the 9900k. Probably even for HEVC encoding stuff because it doesn't scale well with many cores. As I said Threadripper is no contender for AMD and Intels mainstream because the market share is a joke compared to the mainstream platform.
No, and no.... They are 10-20% behind in games, and they will most likely be ahead counting their 12 core vs 9900k 8 core in multi-threadded apps. I don't know how you can make it look so lopsided, unless you have blinders on.

Lets wait for benchmarks, and see who eats crow.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
No, and no.... They are 10-20% behind in games, and they will most likely be ahead counting their 12 core vs 9900k 8 core in multi-threadded apps. I don't know how you can make it look so lopsided, unless you have blinders on.

Lets wait for benchmarks, and see who eats crow.

HEVC is a multithread app and this 12 core SKU will most likely lose against the 8C 9900k. It's not as easy as you think because there are lots of multithread applications that won't scale well over 8 cores on desktop. And Threadripper isn't exactly a gaming SKU either, if you want the best gaming experience you should prefer the i9-9900k over any more expensive Threadripper.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
HEVC is a multithread app and this 12 core SKU will most likely lose against the 8C 9900k. It's not as easy as you think because there are lots of multithread applications that won't scale well over 8 cores on desktop. And Threadripper isn't exactly a gaming SKU either, if you want the best gaming experience you should prefer the i9-9900k over any more expensive Threadripper.
So based on one app that does not scale well over 8 threads you say it will loose in ALL multi-threaded apps on average. No way. And yes, I already said it would loose in gaming, its not a gaming chip. I think the 8700k might even be better in gaming then the 9900k.

As I said, wait for benchmarks....

Reactions: Drazick

KompuKare

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2009
I would think the best Intel gaming chip is going to be a 6 core 6 thread chip again. It's going to have most of the performance, for a lot less money.
Surely the problem with that is that (for instance) the same thing was said about i7--7700K when Ryzen launched. And while back then, only a few games did well* on Ryzen and Intel HEDT (mostly hard to benchmark for reviews multiplayer BF), that has now changed and 1800X/2700X and even 1600X/2600X are often ahead for min FPS this year.

However, I do not expect games to become even more multi-thread so quickly that Intel's 6C fall behind quickly in 1-2 years time as until the next gen consoles come out, studios are probably going to optimize for no more than 6 cores.

*mostly min. FPS rather than average, but that is by far the more important criteria

epsilon84

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2010

It depends on your use.

How can that be true? The bolded part I mean. That would then imply every single task other than gaming scales perfectly (or close enough) up to 12C / 24T which obviously isn't the case, especially on normal desktop usage.

As you said, it depends on the usage case, but throwing a blanket statement that a 9900K can only beat a TR in gaming is pretty misleading.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
How can that be true? The bolded part I mean. That would then imply every single task other than gaming scales perfectly (or close enough) up to 12C / 24T which obviously isn't the case, especially on normal desktop usage.

As you said, it depends on the usage case, but throwing a blanket statement that a 9900K can only beat a TR in gaming is pretty misleading.
OK, IN MOST ANYTHING BUT GAMINGm us that better ? I thought that was implied

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
All top Intel execs including interim CEO Bob Swan, Jim Keller, have arrived in Israel to, among other things, present new CPUs in the Haifa Congressional Hall today Oct 10th.

epsilon84

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2010
OK, IN MOST ANYTHING BUT GAMINGm us that better ? I thought that was implied

No, what you implied was that a 12C TR would destroy a 9900K in anything but gaming, which completely ignores the IPC and clockspeed advantages that are useful for every single application, including ones that aren't well multithreaded and might not scale well with addititonal cores / threads. For example:

pic_disp.php

Look at the lack of scaling beyond 8 cores. Add in lower IPC and clocks and I can totally see a 9900K beating a 12C TR in Premiere. And that is just an example. Which is why I called you out on your blanket statement, because I find it totally misleading. No need to get offended and type in caps. Not everyone will agree with you, and you don't have to be right about everything either. Maybe for you, for DC, a TR is the perfect platform. Thats perfectly fine. But your usage case doesnt represent the majority of people.

Last edited:

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
Thats perfectly fine. But your usage case doesnt represent the majority of people.
True.

"Majority of people" do not game (seriously), do not buy 9900K, or do compute.
"Majority of people" does buy the cheapest alternative, not the one that has "most X per Y".
"Most applications" resemble games in scalability?

Does anyone on these Fora really represent the "majority of people"?

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
eDuSceD.png

Google translate for English speakers: We took solder from you when competition ceased to exist. Now that things are messy again we bring it back and admit it has tangible benefits. Game with confidence!
I doubt it was done for any reason other than to get more cores and higher clocks to work within the current node and packaging.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
lolz, and here comes the "Rolls-Royce" Intel Core i9-9980XE.

get your wallets ready!!!

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
i9-9900K is $529.99 at B&H for preorder.

Too rich even for my blood. I'd have to see convincing evidence it would beat my OC'd i7-8700K in lightly-threaded apps and gaming to even consider it.