Confirmed by AMD & Intel - Rivals Intel and AMD Team Up on PC Chips to Battle NVidia

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
Edit: Anandtech Article here. Meant to put the link here early this morning and forgot.

AMD Confirmed as well.

Intel link now. Confirmed Q1-2018

Intel CPU & AMD GPU with HBM2 Memory connected using Embedded Multi-Die Interconnect Bridge (EMIB).

Excerpt...
New Intel Core Processor Combines High-Performance CPU with Custom Discrete Graphics from AMD to Enable Sleeker, Thinner Devices

New Intel Design and Packaging Innovations Reduce Silicon Footprint by More Than 50%, Enable Real Time Power Sharing Across CPU and GPU for Optimal Performance

Excerpt 2...
We wanted to find a way [....] to deliver a stronger combination of performance-level processors and discrete graphics that open the door to even smaller form factors. And, we knew we could do it by combining our Embedded Multi-Die Interconnect Bridge (EMIB) technology with a new power-sharing framework.

Today, we’re sharing initial details on a new product that does exactly that, reducing the usual silicon footprint to less than half that of standard discrete components on a motherboard. That’s more freedom for OEMs to be creative and deliver innovative thin and light designs with improved thermal dissipation. It also delivers space to add new features, create new board layouts, explore new cooling solutions or increase battery life.

---------------------

Older info..

PCWorld is now saying its true - Intel and AMD team up: A future Core chip will have Radeon graphics inside

Original: Link to WSJ

Edit: Link to InvestoPedia

Edit:
Full Copy/Paste Here from WSJ

Excerpt...
Intel planned to announce Monday a laptop-computer chip that combines an Intel processor and an AMD graphics unit, according to a person familiar with the matter. The chip is intended for laptops that are thin and lightweight but powerful enough to run high-end video games—attributes that lately have been driving sales in an otherwise waning market for personal computers.

Excerpt 2...
“Strategically, Intel is more comfortable competing with AMD than Nvidia,” Mr. Moorhead said. “They feel like they know what to do to compete,” so they can afford to cooperate to some degree.

An AMD spokesman said that laptops built on Intel’s new chip won’t compete directly with those based on AMD’s coming Ryzen Mobile, another power-efficient chip that combines general-purpose processing and graphics. The Intel chip will appeal to serious gamers, he said. The AMD unit, which the company expects to ship by the end of the year, is capable of running games, but not specialized for that purpose.

Last edited:

Hendrickson

Dec 30, 2016
This claim seems a bit more credible than the last few, but I'm still waiting until either Intel or AMD actually announce this before I believe it.

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
An AMD spokesman said that laptops built on Intel’s new chip won’t compete directly with those based on AMD’s coming Ryzen Mobile, another power-efficient chip that combines general-purpose processing and graphics. The Intel chip will appeal to serious gamers, he said. The AMD unit, which the company expects to ship by the end of the year, is capable of running games, but not specialized for that purpose.

***IF TRUE***

WTF kind of signal does this send? Can you read it any other way but "AMD declare their cpus are crap for gaming"?

***IF TRUE***

edit: I suppose, after a minute to absorb it, AMD might be figuring "we're gonna lose the (cpu) sale to the idiot paying over the odds for the badge anyway, might as well make some money despite their stupidity."

[I challenge anyone to come up with a coherent argument why buying an Intel APU is better for games than any equivalent generation AMD APU!]

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
It's bad for AMD either way. If it's true, it signals that AMD will have no chance of getting into Apple laptops and it also signals that the market does not have faith in AMD cpus. If it's false, AMD share price will tank again on another failed rumor and other rumors (such as the tesla deal) will likely be deemed fake too.

I think it's fake. At least, this time we will find out if it's fake by the end of the day. The WSJ article claims the announcement will be made today.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
Would increased market share really be worth feeding the competition for AMD? I doubt the difference between Raven Ridge and Intel's mobile CPUs would be large enough for this, but I don't know.

AMD's primary advantage over Intel with Raven Ridge will be the GPU. And they are just going to hand that over?

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
Would increased market share really be worth feeding the competition for AMD? I doubt the difference between Raven Ridge and Intel's mobile CPUs would be large enough for this, but I don't know.

AMD's primary advantage over Intel with Raven Ridge will be the GPU. And they are just going to hand that over?

I don't think they will. The article is probably fake news, Lisa Su already stated that they "would not aid the competition" when she addressed this rumor the last two times it appeared. It makes no sense at all for AMD... but it would be a huge benefit to Intel.

If intel can get AMD IGP, then RIP AMD APUs. What would even be the point of OEMs switching to RR? They are already set up to sell intel CPUs so they would not have to put all the money into switching to raven ridge and would get all the same benefits sticking with intel.

If the rumor is true, I am selling all my AMD shares

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
Now that I think about it, I don't find this convincing.

Think about it - AMD is in the best position they have been in for years. They finally have a strong competitive position in the market on several fronts. Ryzen Mobile is looking pretty good against Intel's chips because Ryzen has great efficiency at that frequency range.

Why give away their best advantage at a time when they are doing well? They aren't desperate for money now - they finally made a profit last quarter.

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
I think a lot of you are overreacting to this. It reads to me as integrating a low end tier dedicated graphics solution as part of an MCM. It is no different IMO than simply including an MXM, the advantage being that an MCM allows for a thin and light implementation; this verbiage was even used.

AMD will still have the advantage of on die integration.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It's a WSJ article published at the behest of Goldman and Citibank after their earlier "projections" brought the stock down about 25% after solid earnings. They need to make their scheduled gains.

Vattila

Oct 22, 2004
Considering the WSJ article has a quote from an AMD spokesperson, I have to believe it to be true.

But wow. Just wow. Nothing in the article indicates that this chip, presumably Kaby Lake-G, is reserved for a particular customer either, which I saw as the only possibility for such a cooperation (in particular, for some Apple design). Now it looks like Intel and AMD are positioning this as a general SKU for mobile gaming. It will be interesting to see how widely it will be used.

Perhaps Lisa is so confident she can compete on the merit of their CPU IP alone, that they can afford (and hopefully profit from) not withholding GPU IP from Intel. From that viewpoint it is a confident move. And on the other hand, if Intel should manage to stay on top in CPU IP, at least AMD provides the GPU at the high-end. Remember, AMD has had limited success with providing "better graphics" alone — the APUs have been relegated to the low-end so far (hopefully Ryzen Mobile will change that, though).

PS. I guess this is an MCM solution. Targeted at high-end mobile gaming, will it have HBM in-package?

Hayateazekura

Sep 25, 2017
I want this to be true,, time for AMD and Intel to work together to move the Industry move forward in a new direction. Everyone needs to shut up about AMD vs Intel.
Time for these guys to join forces and bring out something like we have never seen before. I for one am glad that it could happen

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I think a lot of you are overreacting to this. It reads to me as integrating a low end tier dedicated graphics solution as part of an MCM. It is no different IMO than simply including an MXM, the advantage being that an MCM allows for a thin and light implementation; this verbiage was even used.

AMD will still have the advantage of on die integration.

I agree with this, if we are talking today, but RR over the next generation or two looks really solid, especially if they get their interposer working with Vega. Zen APU is poised to outperform Intel's comparable offerings over the next couple of generations across every metric, so it does seem weird. That being said, this still gives them a foot in the door where they otherwise wouldn't be based on Intel contracts.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
If intel can get AMD IGP, then RIP AMD APUs.
Does "laptop-computer chip" automatically mean igp?

It would make sense to use a normal intel apu and stick an additional amd dgpu on the same "chip" ,so you still get the battery life with intel qsv/igpu on simple tasks but also have a fall back for gaming.
It would mean huge volume sales for amd which they wouldn't otherwise get and it hurts nvidia sales since that's what intel seems to be after,so it's a win win.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Considering the WSJ article has a quote from an AMD spokesperson, I have to believe it to be true.

But wow. Just wow. Nothing in the article indicates that this chip, presumably Kaby Lake-G, is reserved for a particular customer either, which I saw as the only possibility for such a cooperation (in particular, for some Apple design). Now it looks like Intel and AMD are positioning this as a general SKU for mobile gaming. It will be interesting to see how widely it will be used.

Perhaps Lisa is so confident she can compete on the merit of their CPU IP alone, that they can afford (and hopefully profit from) not withholding GPU IP from Intel. From that viewpoint it is a confident move. And on the other hand, if Intel should manage to stay on top in CPU IP, at least AMD provides the GPU at the high-end. Remember, AMD has had limited success with providing "better graphics" alone — the APUs have been relegated to the low-end so far (hopefully Ryzen Mobile will change that, though).

PS. I guess this is an MCM solution. Targeted at high-end mobile gaming, will it have HBM in-package?
An un-named spokesperson...

"Our chips suck at gaming, so we need to use Intel chips for serious gaming."

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
Does "laptop-computer chip" automatically mean igp?

It would make sense to use a normal intel apu and stick an additional amd dgpu on the same "chip" ,so you still get the battery life with intel qsv/igpu on simple tasks but also have a fall back for gaming.
It would mean huge volume sales for amd which they wouldn't otherwise get and it hurts nvidia sales since that's what intel seems to be after,so it's a win win.

It's definitely not a "win-win" because it gives intel a huge advantage against a product AMD just released. It will bring huge sales to intel CPUs, and it will make every OEM question why they should bother with Raven Ridge when they can get the exact same (or better, according to article) GPU with intel CPUs.

It might give a short term revenue advantage for AMD, but in the long term it will hurt sales, hurt brand recognition for Ryzen, and help AMD's main competitor.

Vattila

Oct 22, 2004
time for AMD and Intel to work together to move the Industry move forward in a new direction.

As customers, we still want them to be competing, though.

That said, in one related area I hope they do cooperate: Heterogeneous System Architecture. It would be good (for the industry, and programmers, in particular) if all mainstream systems became HSA compliant.

PS. EMIB and HBM2! Wow!

Last edited:

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
Its would most assuredly be MCM possibly with HBM and not IGP. It would not take away RR business since the RR IGP cannot handle high-end gaming anyways. This would be most likely a discreet performing setup. RR IGP is definitely not.

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
This still sounds more like a third party using an intel cpu and an amd dgpu in a high end laptop and other people running with scissors saying intel/amd are working together...

Hayateazekura

Sep 25, 2017
As customers, we still want them to be competing, though.

That said, in one related area I hope they do cooperate: Heterogeneous System Architecture. It would be good (for the industry, and programmers, in particular) if all mainstream systems became HSA compliant.

I understand, but can you imagine infinity fabric on Intel dies. awwwwww yes. THINK OF THE POSSIBILITIES MAN!!!!!!!!!!!