computer doesn't recognize all my ram

Raikonnen

Aug 11, 2016
I have a new Skull Canyon NUC and my computer states I have 8gb ram when I have 16 installed (2x8).
what trouble shooting steps can I take?

Thanks!

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
What is telling you this? Is it BIOS/POST, or do you mean in Windows?
What does CPU-Z show for the memory as well?

Batmeat

Feb 1, 2011
You need to provide us what NUC or what motherboard is in the NUC. Could be a slot or it may not support 16gb of ram.

Raikonnen

Aug 11, 2016
Thanks. They are hard to remove but after some wiggling all looks good. It is a Skull Canyon NUC. Any tips for removing if I need to at another date? They are slotted quite firmly and I wouldn't want to snap anything....Thanks again for input!

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
Thanks. They are hard to remove but after some wiggling all looks good. It is a Skull Canyon NUC. Any tips for removing if I need to at another date? They are slotted quite firmly and I wouldn't want to snap anything....Thanks again for input!
Sorry if I sound condescending, but you do know how to install/remove SODIMM memory, right? Unhook the little clips on the sides so that the RAM pops up at a ~45 degree angle, pull the RAM out at that angle. Installation is the exact opposite of this. It really shouldn't be hard. The socket pins might "bite down" a bit on the connectors, but not enough for it to even possibly damage anything. If the socket pins provide too much resistance, that might cause your RAM to not seat properly and thus not be detected.