Complete Polymer AR-15 lower receiver-$99.99 + Shipping & FFL xfer fees

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
this looks like a good deal.
on the uppers I see a LOT of 14.7"
isn't 16 the min legal unless you are registered.

Anyone know a good transfer person in little rock ar area
all the old dealers I used to trade with are gone now. SAD TIMES
As long as the flash suppressor is pinned to the barrel, bringing it up to 16", then it's legal without the $200 tax stamp and SBR status

Check this link for a FFL if you care to
http://www.fflfinder.com/

Or just call your local pawn shops, they're usually the cheapest

mleejr

Oct 19, 2007
Here's the same but with free shipping:
http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=NFA-LW15BLK

I pulled the trigger on one myself.

I just ordered one. There is a coupon code of 'THANKYOU' that takes 5$ off. With the free shipping this is a pretty good deal. IMO.
I ordered one but it says it may need my FFL. I don't have one as I'm just some dude. But, luckily, I am a dude in a gun friendly state (Georgia). I probably won't need it right? And as for uppers, do I need to give a DNA sample and my first born for that?

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
I just ordered one. There is a coupon code of 'THANKYOU' that takes 5$ off. With the free shipping this is a pretty good deal. IMO.
I ordered one but it says it may need my FFL. I don't have one as I'm just some dude. But, luckily, I am a dude in a gun friendly state (Georgia). I probably won't need it right? And as for uppers, do I need to give a DNA sample and my first born for that?
Yes you need a FFL in EVERY state, if you don't have one it has to be shipped to one and you pay a transfer fee...my post above yours has a link you can use to find one in your area for them to ship it to. As for an upper that can be shipped directly to your home with no issues at all...

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
Yes you need a FFL in EVERY state, if you don't have one it has to be shipped to one and you pay a transfer fee...my post above yours has a link you can use to find one in your area for them to ship it to. As for an upper that can be shipped directly to your home with no issues at all...

What's the best value upper out there right now? I'm gonna need one.

I was thinking 556/223 since the 22LR ones seem to be close in price anyway.

etrin

Aug 10, 2001
thanks for the link corwin.
There is an ffl about 3 blocks from my house :)
will try and stop by tomorrow and find out what they offer.

tomatom

Jul 27, 2002
This auction has ended but the item has been relisted.
Click here to view the new listing: Item # 279247634

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=279247634

Description for Item # 279247634

This auction is for a quantity of FIVE (5) stripped lower receivers.

Stripped Carbon/Aramid Vulcan Arms receiver fits standard AR15 type parts, .250 pins. Carbon/Aramid material has a higher tensile strength than aluminum yet is half the weight. Completely corrosion proof and the color goes all the way through the material. In stock, ready to ship. Contact us for volume (QTY 50 +)pricing.

< you could build a couple of pistols or SBR with those new NO-BUFFER uppers >

$175 / 5 = $35@

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
What's the best value upper out there right now? I'm gonna need one.

I was thinking 556/223 since the 22LR ones seem to be close in price anyway.
Best "value" (considering chrome lined bore) is from PSA as I've linked a couple times...wait times from them kinda suck though as it's a couple weeks to get one...PK has some for slightly less without the chrome lining that are a little cheaper though and they ship super quick.

14.7" chrome lined PSA $457

16" stainless PSA $457

Various DPMS uppers from PK starting at $439

If you're talking caliber then yes .223/5.56 is close enough in price to any others to make it best, and still "reasonably" cheap on ammo...bought 1k rounds for $225 delivered to my door
This auction has ended but the item has been relisted.
Click here to view the new listing: Item # 279247634

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=279247634

Description for Item # 279247634

This auction is for a quantity of FIVE (5) stripped lower receivers.

Stripped Carbon/Aramid Vulcan Arms receiver fits standard AR15 type parts, .250 pins. Carbon/Aramid material has a higher tensile strength than aluminum yet is half the weight. Completely corrosion proof and the color goes all the way through the material. In stock, ready to ship. Contact us for volume (QTY 50 +)pricing.

< you could build a couple of pistols or SBR with those new NO-BUFFER uppers >

$175 / 5 = $35@
Not bad but not great either, to finish them off (at least to what you get with the complete on in the OP) would make it at least the same price or likely slightly more. Not sure I would trust a no buffer upper on a polymer lower though, with the buffer there's almost zero stress on the lower but without it things change dramatically, for those I would stick with aluminum, and PSA has a sale several times a year on their lowers for $50...

Last edited:

caddlad

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2002
My upper is being delivered today!

1zl92fn.gif

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
My upper is being delivered today!
Awesome, hope you enjoy it!

On another note finally got out to the range with my wife and hers last weekend. Ran about 300 rounds through hers without issue, including a couple of nice mag dumps:D The trigger pull was very nice too, a little "gritty" the first hundred or so but worked out really nicely after that, and even though it's only ~1/2 lb difference it feels noticeably lighter than mine built with the exact same upper

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004

That's a good deal. In fact I recommend everybody looking at these to consider getting just the lower receiver here and not the complete lower. I got the complete lower and I've needed/wanted to replace pretty much everything else in it other than the receiver itself. Unless you're really on a budget I would build it up with some better parts. The stock is pretty bad, the buffer tube is commercial sized and not milspec (slightly less common), the pins are just plastic and one of mine broke, the trigger group works fine but feels cheap. I haven't changed out the trigger group yet but I want to... a lot.

tdawg

Platinum Member
May 18, 2001

Very tempted. I want to build myself an AR and was about to jump on this, but after shipping + FFL transfer fee, and not having any time to research FFL options (none are open before this deal expires) and negotiate the transfer fee, I think I'll just wait to get one locally. I'll pay a little more with tax, but oh well.

Kudos for those able to take advantage of this.

tdawg

Platinum Member
May 18, 2001
How do all these people have a FFL? I looked at getting one and the red tape is RIDICULOUS!

Individuals don't need an FFL; you need to find a gun shop that will do the transfer; they will be your FFL and you fill out the paperwork with them and they take care of everything to transfer ownership to you.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
How do all these people have a FFL? I looked at getting one and the red tape is RIDICULOUS!
If you use the link in my post you can find a shop near you that can do the transfer without having a FFL yourself...and sadly yes, getting a FFL now is a lot harder than it used to be.

Good to see this thread is still alive and kicking, my wife has put almost 1k rounds through her lower so far with zero problems:D

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
What they said ^

You have it shipped to a gun shop, and THEY do the FFL transfer to you when you pick it up. They charge a fee they can set themselves ($20-40) so I'd shop around to find which has the lower fee. My local one is the lowest I've seen at $20.

tdawg

Platinum Member
May 18, 2001
So, what are the minimum tools required to put together at least a lower, and possibly an upper, without too much frustration?

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
So, what are the minimum tools required to put together at least a lower, and possibly an upper, without too much frustration?
A lower is simple, just your basic hand tools, I used a large pair of vise grips, a hammer and a set of small punches to put mine together. The upper takes a bit more, from what I've read you need a bench vise with a mold to hold the upper while attaching the barrel with a special tool then making sure to headspace the bolt and barrel to make sure it doesn't blow up on you when you fire it for the first time. From what I have seen you can get an assembled upper for about the same as the pieces, so unless you just want the fun of putting it together yourself then I wouldn't bother...if you want to see what's involved with building them then read THIS

tdawg

Platinum Member
May 18, 2001
I really don't mind getting a complete upper, but there are some things I want in place of stock, so I'm looking to see how I can piece together exactly what I want.

I definitely want a railed handguard, not the boring stock thing. Eventually I think I want a bipod. I also need some left-handed or ambidextrous items, like the charging handle, safety switch, and mag release. I'm not 100% sold on building the upper; I'd love to learn everything about the upper by building it, but, like you mention, some safety concerns (headspace) make me lean towards a built upper.

I'm kind of leaning toward getting an upper from PSA and the bolt carrier group and charging handle from bravo company. Not sure yet. May also gravitate to Rainier Arms, since they're a local outfit for me. Rainier Arms also has a nice free-floating handguard for a good price.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
I really don't mind getting a complete upper, but there are some things I want in place of stock, so I'm looking to see how I can piece together exactly what I want.

I definitely want a railed handguard, not the boring stock thing. Eventually I think I want a bipod. I also need some left-handed or ambidextrous items, like the charging handle, safety switch, and mag release. I'm not 100% sold on building the upper; I'd love to learn everything about the upper by building it, but, like you mention, some safety concerns (headspace) make me lean towards a built upper.

I'm kind of leaning toward getting an upper from PSA and the bolt carrier group and charging handle from bravo company. Not sure yet. May also gravitate to Rainier Arms, since they're a local outfit for me. Rainier Arms also has a nice free-floating handguard for a good price.
Sounds like you have a good plan going there...I went with MOE furniture for my first build but I'm about to replace the handguard with a quad rail from Primary Arms and some Magpul XTM rail covers. Also if you're looking for a decent red dot sight check out Primary Arms offerings, I got mine there for $99 and it's held zero without fail.

tdawg

Platinum Member
May 18, 2001
So, those that put together their AR with a polymer lower, did you use a non-polymer lower parts kit? Reviews I'm reading mention the need to enlarge some of the pin holes if one chooses a metal LPK.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
So, those that put together their AR with a polymer lower, did you use a non-polymer lower parts kit? Reviews I'm reading mention the need to enlarge some of the pin holes if one chooses a metal LPK.
I bought the complete lower so can't say myself, but from everything I've read it's hit and miss on whether the holes need to go bigger for a metal LPK...nobody seems to mention that it was anything major to do so