Complete Polymer AR-15 lower receiver-$99.99 + Shipping & FFL xfer fees

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004

I ended up buying a rock river arms upper from PK firearms. The one I posted before.

RRA_16inch_Mid_SS_-_5007_TJ_-__41BL.jpg

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Congrats to both of you, glad to know I had a part in the birth of a few new rifles;)

It wasn't just me. My group got 5 total :D

Anyway, got mine today. Should work out okay, though the stock has a little too much play and feels cheap. That's true of a lot of default stocks on low end rifles though and getting a more solid stock isn't hard or terribly pricey. I expect my upper to get in some time this week too.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
It wasn't just me. My group got 5 total :D

Anyway, got mine today. Should work out okay, though the stock has a little too much play and feels cheap. That's true of a lot of default stocks on low end rifles though and getting a more solid stock isn't hard or terribly pricey. I expect my upper to get in some time this week too.

Almost forgot about that;) Yeah the stock does have a little too much play, as you said though it's the same as most of the basic stocks that I've seen too...I was replacing it anyway so didn't bother me much and it still would have worked...just be sure you get a commercial stock unless you want to replace the buffer tube assembly as well.

And I'll be damned but I'm still waiting on my upper to ship from PSA, their site now lists the wait time as up to 15 (used to be 10) business days:(

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Almost forgot about that;) Yeah the stock does have a little too much play, as you said though it's the same as most of the basic stocks that I've seen too...I was replacing it anyway so didn't bother me much and it still would have worked...just be sure you get a commercial stock unless you want to replace the buffer tube assembly as well.

And I'll be damned but I'm still waiting on my upper to ship from PSA, their site now lists the wait time as up to 15 (used to be 10) business days:(

Glad I got my upper from PK firearms then. Ordered it this past weekend and UPS says it's out for delivery today. Granted, I'm in NW Indiana and they're in central Illinois so it didn't have far to go... but it's still impressive. Resellerratings.com shows that other people experience similar shipping times, so these guys are definitely on top of it. Probably won't be able to pick it up today because of work though... which is a bit sad :(

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
If you guys need uppers, I really recommend PK Firearms. They really did ship within 2 days... it's like I ordered the upper off of Amazon Prime. Plus they have more in stock than PSA. PK doesn't do their own uppers, but assemble and resell stuff from Rock River Arms, Daniel Defense, etc.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
So the big question for me is has anyone here actually ordered or used this lower yet?

It's mighty tempting to buy but I really want my next AR to be a 308 variant I think...

But for that cost it's so tempting.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
If you guys need uppers, I really recommend PK Firearms. They really did ship within 2 days... it's like I ordered the upper off of Amazon Prime. Plus they have more in stock than PSA. PK doesn't do their own uppers, but assemble and resell stuff from Rock River Arms, Daniel Defense, etc.

That's a nice looking rifle, looks like you got to pick it up afterall:thumbsup: Looks like you're the first to get one comlpeted, you'll have to let us know how it shoots if you can get out to the range soon. I'm jealous, but on a bright note mine is finally on the way and is supposed to be delivered on friday:awe: I have to say I was browsing PK's web site and they've got some good prices on their RR uppers, not as low as a PSA (about $80 more) but a close second, and if they always ship that fast it could be worth it for sure...especially since PSA is now out of most everything...boy I sure hope they get their supply issues or whatever it is figured out soon, if they could ship faster and keep things in stock they would have a ton more business.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
So the big question for me is has anyone here actually ordered or used this lower yet?

It's mighty tempting to buy but I really want my next AR to be a 308 variant I think...

But for that cost it's so tempting.

More than a few of us have ordered it...the pic above by gorcorps is his assembled, which he bought along with 4 others for people he knows...I got mine a week or so ago and my upper just shipped for it...for the price why not get one to play with, it won't do .308 but there's a ton of other options:D

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
More than a few of us have ordered it...the pic above by gorcorps is his assembled, which he bought along with 4 others for people he knows...I got mine a week or so ago and my upper just shipped for it...for the price why not get one to play with, it won't do .308 but there's a ton of other options:D

It's like some people don't even read our posts, right? :colbert:

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
It's like some people don't even read our posts, right? :colbert:

Yeah, not well worded on my part but more to the point. Has anyone FIRED their AR using this lower?

I fired my co-workers Plum Crazy polymer AR a few weeks ago and really couldn't tell any clear difference in sound or feel from my S&W M&P 15 Sport.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
Yeah, not well worded on my part but more to the point. Has anyone FIRED their AR using this lower?

I fired my co-workers Plum Crazy polymer AR a few weeks ago and really couldn't tell any clear difference in sound or feel from my S&W M&P 15 Sport.
That would probably be a no...we're getting close though:) And from your experience that is really supposed to be the point, it performs exactly the same as an aluminum lower except saving some weight and being cheaper, for the most part this one appears to use the same mold and fire control system as the PC, just made of a newer polymer that is supposed to be stronger. From handling mine so far I can say the trigger pull is really nice, and so long as I don't abuse it in some way I don't see how it would break since there's almost no stress on the lower at all, and from their test videos it looks like it can take more abuse than anyone would purposely do in any case;)

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004

Ah, yeah haven't fired it yet.

Another good story for PK Firearms... my buddy placed his order for an upper at midnight (last night/this morning), and it's scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.

helpme

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2000
Just ordered mine from a local dealer. Guy had one already assembled with an upper that I could check out.

Total cost was just under $200:

Normal cost of CA legal lower from new frontier = 119.99 + shipping ($12?)

Retail price to me was $150
DROS $25
Tax 8.75%
CA Mandatory lock $7

Now to get my hands on an upper...

Lalakai

Golden Member
Nov 30, 1999
informal testing of poly lower with BCM upper (short gas tube, no piston, CMT bolt semi-auto), Magpul 30 round mags , shooting mixed ammo (TAP, XM193, XM855, Wolf). Approx. 200 rounds total were fired for initial testing. No issues with mag retention or release. Bolt release functioned without issue (catch and release). Trigger initially was rougher then would be prefered with a couple areas of the pull that seemed to catch; this issue may settle after it gets worked in a little. Only had one misfeed which happened with the Wolf ammo, though that may have been a combination of effects (short gas tube sometimes needs tweaking with recoil buffer). Sorry, didn't verify if the recoil buffer was stock or H1, and I would start with the recoil buffer if additional misfeeds happened (short gas tubes seem to create more problems then longer gas tubes).

Overall as a low cost entry for people building their first platforms, the poly lower appears to be a good buy. Durability will remain a question mark until they have been in the system long enough to get solid feedback. Going this route allows you to spend more on a better upper and bolt assembly, which you can always swap over to a better lower, if you feel the need. Lol and for those wondering, would I consider this a Zombie gun? No. Without knowing how the poly lower will stand up to abuse, I wouldn't feel comfortable depending on it, in the Zombie/SHTF situations. But as a starter platform, plinking, hunting, it seems to be a very good option.

Aug 23, 2000
For what it's worth, my buddy owns a gun range and has had 2 people in with rifles built on these and both broke. One of them cracked at the rear take down pin, the other one broke on the top part where the buffer tube screws in.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
For what it's worth, my buddy owns a gun range and has had 2 people in with rifles built on these and both broke. One of them cracked at the rear take down pin, the other one broke on the top part where the buffer tube screws in.
Wow that would be quick considering they just went on sale a month ago...you sure they're not Plum Crazy lowers?

informal testing of poly lower with BCM upper (short gas tube, no piston, CMT bolt semi-auto), Magpul 30 round mags , shooting mixed ammo (TAP, XM193, XM855, Wolf). Approx. 200 rounds total were fired for initial testing. No issues with mag retention or release. Bolt release functioned without issue (catch and release). Trigger initially was rougher then would be prefered with a couple areas of the pull that seemed to catch; this issue may settle after it gets worked in a little. Only had one misfeed which happened with the Wolf ammo, though that may have been a combination of effects (short gas tube sometimes needs tweaking with recoil buffer). Sorry, didn't verify if the recoil buffer was stock or H1, and I would start with the recoil buffer if additional misfeeds happened (short gas tubes seem to create more problems then longer gas tubes).

Overall as a low cost entry for people building their first platforms, the poly lower appears to be a good buy. Durability will remain a question mark until they have been in the system long enough to get solid feedback. Going this route allows you to spend more on a better upper and bolt assembly, which you can always swap over to a better lower, if you feel the need. Lol and for those wondering, would I consider this a Zombie gun? No. Without knowing how the poly lower will stand up to abuse, I wouldn't feel comfortable depending on it, in the Zombie/SHTF situations. But as a starter platform, plinking, hunting, it seems to be a very good option.
Thanks for the update, sounds pretty much like I was expecting, I had heard the trigger can take a bit to wear in and smooth out, can't wait to give my wife hers...speaking of which I grabbed mine when it was delivered and assembled it in my work parking lot, here's a pic of the final product:)

IMG01160-20120302-1456.jpg

Lead Butthead

Oct 5, 2009
err, you wouldn't be a member of Mary Kay Commando, would you? (dock) Ahh, nothing like a hot pink Uz... AR15.

Jaepheth

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2006
I'm getting one of these. Been wanting an AR rifle

Some may be interested to know that Classic arms has 2 complete receivers for <$400:
http://www.classicfirearms.co/accessories.htm
(Scroll down, these are before the half-way point)

DTI 16" 1x9 twist chrome moly M4 barrel, flat weaver $380

and a .410 shotgun upper (with a mag) for $350

atrocious site design, but they have some good deals.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
I'm getting one of these. Been wanting an AR rifle

Some may be interested to know that Classic arms has 2 complete receivers for <$400:
http://www.classicfirearms.co/accessories.htm
(Scroll down, these are before the half-way point)

DTI 16" 1x9 twist chrome moly M4 barrel, flat weaver $380

and a .410 shotgun upper (with a mag) for $350

atrocious site design, but they have some good deals.
Excellent, come over to the dark side, just be aware BRD (black rifle disease) is real and spreads quickly:awe:

Those are good deals, barrels aren't chrome lined but otherwise complete, nice find...found out about that .410 upper the other day, it's very interesting...and I do still have an extra stripped lower:hmm: