Complete Polymer AR-15 lower receiver-$99.99 + Shipping & FFL xfer fees

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tdawg

Platinum Member
May 18, 2001
I'd agree but the sport has the built in front sight and I think a carry handle, which makes it harder for me to do the optics of my choice. I want optics ready so I can trick it out the way I want.

The sport has the A2 front post, but no carry handle. Mine came stock with a magpul rear flip-up sight and I've mounted a red dot on a 1" riser, no problem.

Down the road I plan to replace the front post site / gas block with a low profile gas block, mid-length rails and a flip-up front sight to go along with a nicer optic.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
The sport has the A2 front post, but no carry handle. Mine came stock with a magpul rear flip-up sight and I've mounted a red dot on a 1" riser, no problem.

Down the road I plan to replace the front post site / gas block with a low profile gas block, mid-length rails and a flip-up front sight to go along with a nicer optic.
I have a primary arms red dot on mine with an A2 front post and MBUS rear as well, I have lower 1/3 co-witness with the irons in case the red dot dies on me at some point, having the front post in the lower part of the sight picture isn't distracting to me in the least so I doubt I'll ever go with a flip up front, but I guess some people might be bothered by it...

tdawg

Platinum Member
May 18, 2001
I have a primary arms red dot on mine with an A2 front post and MBUS rear as well, I have lower 1/3 co-witness with the irons in case the red dot dies on me at some point, having the front post in the lower part of the sight picture isn't distracting to me in the least so I doubt I'll ever go with a flip up front, but I guess some people might be bothered by it...

I prefer the look of the longer rail without the front post site, and it'd allow me to get rid of that 1" riser. Plus, down the road if I'm fortunate enough to be able to justify an EOtech or something, I won't have to buy a big riser mount for it.

tdawg

Platinum Member
May 18, 2001
A bit OT but since there seems to be some highly knowledgeable people here I thought I'd ask. My Walmart still has a Black Friday Sig Sauer M400 Enhanced Carbine ODG with Rifle Bagfor $900 left. Not knowing much at all about guns atm I was wondering if this is a good deal on a good gun.

That looks like a decent price to me. MSRP is over $1200 on Sig's site. Magpul components and a 1 in 7" twist barrel; can't beat that. If that fits in your budget, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Still have to budget for optics if you don't want to run iron sights.

hondaf17

Sep 25, 2005
Revisit to this thread. Anyone have any bright ideas about how to get an AR in the current environment? Anytime anything goes in stock it seems to be sold out instantly. PSA's complete lowers and uppers are gone in a matter of minutes.

I've pretty much resigned myself to getting the DPMS Panther Oracle from Cabela's for $700. I've been talking to them and they get large shipments 1-2 times per week but they sell out in 1-2 hours. I live close enough I can call them at open and be there in 30 minutes once they check the truck. They're not price gouging and $700 is their normal price.

I just want to get something basic and affordable in the event they are banned or heavily restricted. Would I have buyer's remorse if I get the Oracle? I don't want to buy a POS but then again I need something in case a ban or heavy restrictions/modifications go through.

My original plan was to get the Oracle and then add some FDE furniture:

Purchasing this DPMS Panther Oracle for $700 from Cabela's:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat105524280

Last edited:

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
Revisit to this thread. Anyone have any bright ideas about how to get an AR in the current environment? Anytime anything goes in stock it seems to be sold out instantly. PSA's complete lowers and uppers are gone in a matter of minutes.

I've pretty much resigned myself to getting the DPMS Panther Oracle from Cabela's for $700. I've been talking to them and they get large shipments 1-2 times per week but they sell out in 1-2 hours. I live close enough I can call them at open and be there in 30 minutes once they check the truck. They're not price gouging and $700 is their normal price.

I just want to get something basic and affordable in the event they are banned or heavily restricted. Would I have buyer's remorse if I get the Oracle? I don't want to buy a POS but then again I need something in case a ban or heavy restrictions/modifications go through.

Here was my original plan before everything went to crap:

Purchasing this DPMS Panther Oracle for $700 from Cabela's:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat105524280

Then purchasing the following accessories/furniture:

This quad rail handguard for $60 (or one from PSA that a previous poster linked if it comes in stock):

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/570...ck-rail-guards

This pistol grip in flat dark earth for $20:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/231...tol-grip-ar-15

This foregrip in flat dark earth for $24:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/231...-ar-15-polymer

This stock in flat dark earth for $57:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/231...bine-synthetic

A magazine in flat dark earth for $15:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/231...-round-polymer

Three rail covers in flat dark earth for $33 total ($11 each, assuming I need these to get the flat dark earth look, since the quadrail I selected is only available in black):

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/231...-6-1-2-polymer

My total cost would then be:
$679 rifle
$60 quadrail
$20 pistol grip
$24 foregrip
$57 stock
$15 magazine
$33 rail covers

$909 total + tax

Then I would just need to add optics.

How did I do? Thoughts? Are all the items I selected compatible with everything?
Right now is a terrible time to buy an AR...not that I see it getting any better:\

If you can get an oracle from Cabela's go for it, it's not a "bad" rifle but even if it was what are your other options? It seems your links are broken but if you can find any 30rnd mags you better buy them up if they aren't stupid expensive, I'm kicking myself for only having 8, used to get PMags for $12 before this fiasco. Don't blow that much money on the quad rail or the ladder covers, you can find the quad on Amazon for $20 and the ladder covers for $15/4, the color of the ladder covers is slightly different than magpul FDE but you can only tell if you really look close...also there are FDE quad rails on Amazon if you want, but I would still get ladder covers since the rails aren't the most comfortable thing to hold without them. My pic isn't great but here's mine with the cheapo rail covers from amazon, the color match is close enough for me;)
IMG-20121226-00123_zps9f2e0169.jpg

Other than that I'd say check Amazon for some of the accessories, you might find a better price...overall get it while you can and grab as many mags as is reasonable for you, they might be all you get for a long time.

IeraseU

Aug 25, 2004
Disappointed to see that this deal is gone. I think this is a good time to stock up on AR rifles, if you can find them.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
Disappointed to see that this deal is gone. I think this is a good time to stock up on AR rifles, if you can find them.
Kind of wish I had gotten more myself before all the current BS...funny thing is I still have a stripped lower in my safe that I never finished building, wonder how much it will be worth in another year:awe:

mplogic

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2002
Same type of panic mentality when Obama first went into office. Remember all the websites running "Obama" sales cause he was gonna take all the guns away. Why is it we are perfectly fine without something until someone threatens to say we can't have it? :)

Don't buy into it, you're just feeding the frenzy. There are sooo many firearms and hi-cap mags in this country being stockpiled we could arm the whole population (which maybe we should with all crazies running around). Whatever happens there will be a glut of rifles and accessories for sale on the 2nd hand market, probably close to the end of the year.

Seriously though putting a ban on crazy people would probably be just as effective as banning certain firearms.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
Same type of panic mentality when Obama first went into office. Remember all the websites running "Obama" sales cause he was gonna take all the guns away. Why is it we are perfectly fine without something until someone threatens to say we can't have it? :)

Don't buy into it, you're just feeding the frenzy. There are sooo many firearms and hi-cap mags in this country being stockpiled we could arm the whole population (which maybe we should with all crazies running around). Whatever happens there will be a glut of rifles and accessories for sale on the 2nd hand market, probably close to the end of the year.

Seriously though putting a ban on crazy people would probably be just as effective as banning certain firearms.
Actually this time it's a little different, he's actively pushing for a ban and is threatening an executive order to bypass congress if he has to, that's a pretty big difference. With a ban in place there may be a shit ton of those accessories out there but the price will be way higher than they were just a few months ago...hell if you can even find any AR mags in stock right now they are running around $45, with a ban in place I would expect that to go even higher for what is already in private hands, if you're even allowed to sell them since places like NY are wanting to have them all registered and require a transfer fee and paperwork to sell them post ban similar to machine guns and the NFA.

I sincerely hope this all becomes a great big nothing, but in reality there's gonna be a ban on something shortly, mags definitely and "assault rifles" almost assuredly...idiots do what idiots do, and the ones in DC are gonna double down on stupid yet again

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Kind of wish I had gotten more myself before all the current BS...funny thing is I still have a stripped lower in my safe that I never finished building, wonder how much it will be worth in another year:awe:

At the Dallas gun show 2 weekends ago, stripped lowers were going in the $400 range...

Yes and no. 2008 was different, the AWB had sunsetted and no one was really talking seriously about another. There was a bit of a scare at first, but President Obama had other things on his Agenda, specifically ObamaCare. A year later, bargain AR/AK/etc were pretty plentiful and the ammo/reloading component supply returned to fairly normal levels.

2012 is a bit different... President Obama has nothing to lose (no reelection) so he's relegated the New AWB to VP Biden, who is just stupid enough (and probably has enough behind-the-scenes clout) to get some sort of semi-auto/hi-cap mag ban pushed through... permanently. They won't make the 'sunset' clause mistake twice.

I suspect those that have panic bought will most likely keep what they have. They paid way too much for them (in the current market,) and if prices return to normal or semi-normal, they won't want to lose money. The Chicken Littles will eventually run out of money, and if supply is allowed to return, the market will stabilize once again... but I'm not holding my breath.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
At the Dallas gun show 2 weekends ago, stripped lowers were going in the $400 range...
Wow...that's over 4x what I paid for it a little over a year ago. Well I don't have any plans to sell it just yet but if the market keeps going this way I may end up changing my mind...

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
Except, one thing: Everybody who has an AR are assuming the fact that they are "grand-fathered" into the plan. There is quite the possibility that if you own an AR Rifle, it might be confiscated.

That will be a big problem this day in age, we need to over throw the govt! We have the right to bare arms! It's our constitutional right! Who won the revolutionary war? militia! So what if we need to do this again? Especially if the militia doesn't exist anymore?

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
Except, one thing: Everybody who has an AR are assuming the fact that they are "grand-fathered" into the plan. There is quite the possibility that if you own an AR Rifle, it might be confiscated.

That will be a big problem this day in age, we need to over throw the govt! We have the right to bare arms! It's our constitutional right! Who won the revolutionary war? militia! So what if we need to do this again? Especially if the militia doesn't exist anymore?
Not sure if serious, but...

That is an extremely remote possibility...first of all it's the most popular sporting rifle in the country and there are many thousands of them, there's no way they could get more than a small fraction of them. Second there would be a revolt and they know it.

At worst I see a "registration" scheme that they would hope leads to confiscation later down the road...too bad for them I already sold all of my AR's:whiste:

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Oh, yea, I sold all my ARs during the big buy. Glad I don't have any of those evil things anymore...

hondaf17

Sep 25, 2005
There are some bushmaster Carbon 15's coming into my Cabela's tomorrow. No oracles though.

I agree though, if you can get from a major store such as Cabela's or Gander Mountain, which has prices the same as they were in early December, buy and buy now. This isn't going away. SOMETHING will be done by the morons in DC. Whether it's a full AR ban (less likely) or ban of high capacity mags (almost certainty), something will be done. Obama doesn't have re-election to worry and nothing to lose. That scares me as he can push his agenda.

A friend of mine is at the SHOT show in Las Vegas. He said AR manufacturers and .223 manufacturers are sold out of 100% of 2013 production.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
been looking at colt's should've bought one when it was 1k... plus I don't want any of the magpul stuff on it. 2013 colt CA edition has magpul written all over it :(

that and a 3K price tag instead of a 1k

hondaf17

Sep 25, 2005
Right now is a terrible time to buy an AR...not that I see it getting any better:\

If you can get an oracle from Cabela's go for it, it's not a "bad" rifle but even if it was what are your other options? It seems your links are broken but if you can find any 30rnd mags you better buy them up if they aren't stupid expensive, I'm kicking myself for only having 8, used to get PMags for $12 before this fiasco. Don't blow that much money on the quad rail or the ladder covers, you can find the quad on Amazon for $20 and the ladder covers for $15/4, the color of the ladder covers is slightly different than magpul FDE but you can only tell if you really look close...also there are FDE quad rails on Amazon if you want, but I would still get ladder covers since the rails aren't the most comfortable thing to hold without them. My pic isn't great but here's mine with the cheapo rail covers from amazon, the color match is close enough for me;)
IMG-20121226-00123_zps9f2e0169.jpg

Other than that I'd say check Amazon for some of the accessories, you might find a better price...overall get it while you can and grab as many mags as is reasonable for you, they might be all you get for a long time.

Corwin - what rifle is in your picture? Don't think it's an Oracle because of the front sight post. Thanks for the good thoughts, BTW.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
Corwin - what rifle is in your picture? Don't think it's an Oracle because of the front sight post. Thanks for the good thoughts, BTW.

I built it with parts from Palmetto State Armory, well I assembled the lower, the upper came assembled;)

etrin

Aug 10, 2001
I tried to get a local dealer to order one of these and he said IF I could get one it would cost $550. But don't count on them filling any orders.
I have some various lowers ordered and if I get one of any brand it will run $500 stripped.

Who makes the best lower?

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
I tried to get a local dealer to order one of these and he said IF I could get one it would cost $550. But don't count on them filling any orders.
I have some various lowers ordered and if I get one of any brand it will run $500 stripped.

Who makes the best lower?

Best is subjective, the differences between 99% of them are barely noticeable...that said I am still considering taking advantage of this market and selling my spare lower:D

etrin

Aug 10, 2001
Well after hearing $500 for a stripped lower I talked to 2 dealers in the area.
Oracle full gun in $875 and 1 in stock and they have 20 stag arms coming in monday.
Unknown price.

One dealer gets in colts about 2 a month and $1000
I want another so if I can get one I want another colt but he said its first come first serve and I will never get one.

hondaf17

Sep 25, 2005
Cabela's is selling Oracles for the standard price of $700 but you have to call daily to find out when they're getting anything in, they usually don't tell you, so it's just luck of the draw if you happen to stop by.