College bills, who pays?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

3NF

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2005
I took out student loans to pay for college. Grad school was free because of fellowship/stipend.

My parents gave me cash to use for spending (beer) money during the undergrad days. That was about it.

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
College is hugely expensive these days, especially compared to what our parents payed for college. Do you know many 18 year olds that are capable of putting up 20k+ a year for school or even having that much money saved by the time they are 18? Pretty difficult for an 18 year old to pull off without scholarships or massive debt.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Eh, I didn't get any help from home during college, maybe a couple bucks here and there and thats how I think it should be. I'm only about 10k in debt total and thats not that bad. I personally think its stupid when some of my friends say things like, "yea, and his/her parents aren't even paying for his/her school." I get tired of responding with so what, pay for your own damn school and then having an argument.

I just ignore it now since most of the time I only hear that stuff from kids who have it easier anyway.

EDIT: Sorry for generalizing, but the ones who usually think its their parents' responsibility usually play the, "I'm 18 and an adult now, so I do what I want."

I like it when they get cut off, but then get jealous when they don't. Spoiled brats.

Flyback

Golden Member
Sep 20, 2006
We made a simple deal: they would assist me and in return I'd let them meet their future grandchildren when they arrive and visit them at the old age home if/when they get there ;):D

No one owes you anything like Ronstang said. You gotta earn that right to see the grandkids, baby.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: adairusmc
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
I think it is the parent's responsibility to ensure their child(ren) have the best education possible.

If that means mom and dad working their asses off, no vacations, eating out maybe one night a month instead 20, or not buying that new Hummer or BMW, to make sure college is paid for as well as private school education, then so be it. Education is should be a family's number one priority! Period. What in the heck is more important?

saying that the child should feel some remost that they are forcing there parents who already worked there ass's off for 18 years continueing ot do so for something they can get loans etc for.

hell why stop after college? why shouldnt the parents be helping the kids get as good a house as possible?

there comes a time that you have to allow the kids to make there own decisions and pay for there own way.

A kid at 18 without a college degree will get no where in this society.

:laugh:

As I said before, a college degree is nothing more than an overrated form of self-validation that motivated people will never need to be successful. Saying that a college degree is required to be successful in this society is just plain ignorance.

There are fields that actually require an education to enter. Good luck becoming a lawyer without going to college. If the kid has an interest in a field that pretty much requires an education, then they will need to go to college.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: OVerLoRDI
College is hugely expensive these days, especially compared to what our parents payed for college. Do you know many 18 year olds that are capable of putting up 20k+ a year for school or even having that much money saved by the time they are 18? Pretty difficult for an 18 year old to pull off without scholarships or massive debt.

Why do you need to pay $20k a year for school? Go to a state school for $5k a year or less. $20-30k in student loan debt is only about $200-300 a month. I came out with $15k in student loans 2 years ago and I would have already paid it off if the interest rate wasn't so low.

People who think they can't afford to go to college are just ignorant of their options.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Certainly parents don't have to pay for college, but baring financial circumstances where they can't they really should. A kid without a college degree is practically a waste in modern society, and college no longer comes cheap; somehow or another it's in the best interests of everyone if the kid goes to college. That said it makes more sense for the parents to pay when possible because they have the better financial resources to do so, making a student pay is going to be more expensive in the long run when said kid is trying to afford a a place to live(which in an of itself is spiraling out of control) and heavy student loans at the same time. At the very least, as parents in a traditional nuclear family(i.e. the kids take care of you) it's in your own interests to see that they're as successful as possible.

Imdmn04

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2002
I feel I will try to do everything within my power to pay for my kid's education.

There is no sweeter feeling in life than to see your kids have a successful life.

I am not saying you can't get a successful without college, but a degree increases that chance significantly. Basically I will be paying to increase the chances of success for my kids.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: tfinch2
Originally posted by: yankeesfan
The kids are over 18. The parents are not responsible.

But I'm glad my parents are paying for mine. I'm not going to say no. ;)

:roll:

Practice what you preach then.

The way I read what yankeesfan posted is he was practicing what he preached....hmmm

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Originally posted by: ViRGE
A kid without a college degree is practically a waste in modern society, and college no longer comes cheap; somehow or another it's in the best interests of everyone if the kid goes to college.

College degree is not the answer to everything. There are many productive and successful people without a college degree and that's not going to change in the future. You're forgetting one big avenue for those who don't want or need college degree: Trades. Demand for skilled tradesmen far outpace the available talent. With so many people today clueless and lazy to build, install, and fix things, skill trades are booming. Just look at the number of handymen services you see today. People in the past wouldn't be caught dead hiring someone to fix simple stuff around the house. Now people don't even know the simple tools in a tool box set.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: tyanni
Originally posted by: Ronstang
No one owes you anything in this life except yourself. If your parents have the means and the will to help you with college then consider it a blessing and never forget what they have done for you. If your parents can't or won't help you then you are only hurting yourself sitting around feeling like you have been cheated, because you have not. If you want a college education but won't do what it takes to achieve one then you really don't deserve it in the first place.

:thumbsup:

Best answer.

If you are over 18 though, the parents have absolutely no obligation to pay for a damn thing.

I hope neither of you ever have kids. If you have kids, you have an obligation to try to help and pay for college. If you can't afford it, thats fine, but if you can, its one of your parental responsibilities.

Umm, no. Not even close.

After the child is 18 they are legally adults and the parents are no longer responsible for a damn thing. That is the way it should be.

Besides, college degrees are just overrated forms of self-validation that motivated people will never need to be successful.

Of course, people can teach themselves semiconductor engineering, and advanced chemistry and physics. :roll:

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
My parents certainly have the means to help me out, and refuse to.

I think it's extremely wrong to deny your children the best education possible.

Ive had to "downgrade" schools because of my inability to make enough to attend my desired school as a result.

I love how people think that because their parents arent "legally forced" to pay for college that it's not the right thing to do. :roll:

Sqube

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
If your parents can help, I think they should. As has been undoubtedly stated, it's always tough to start behind the 8 ball in terms of debt.

Mr Incognito

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2007
My dad had to work his way through college and vowed that his children would not haveto do the same. I think that if the parents have the means to help out they should. I don't mean pay for the whole 4 years but at least do what they can.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Naustica
A kid without a college degree is practically a waste in modern society, and college no longer comes cheap; somehow or another it's in the best interests of everyone if the kid goes to college.

College degree is not the answer to everything. There are many productive and successful people without a college degree and that's not going to change in the future. You're forgetting one big avenue for those who don't want or need college degree: Trades. Demand for skilled tradesmen far outpace the available talent. With so many people today clueless and lazy to build, install, and fix things, skill trades are booming. Just look at the number of handymen services you see today. People in the past wouldn't be caught dead hiring someone to fix simple stuff around the house. Now people don't even know the simple tools in a tool box set.

Tell that to your children.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
Originally posted by: Naustica

Tell that to your children.

If I have a son and he's not into school and books, I sure will. I just wish my dad would've told me the same. Would've saved him 120k and made me hundreds K sooner.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Umm, no. Not even close.

After the child is 18 they are legally adults and the parents are no longer responsible for a damn thing. That is the way it should be.

Besides, college degrees are just overrated forms of self-validation that motivated people will never need to be successful.

Actually, a college *does* consider the parent financially obligated to a child unless the child has moved out of the household. Check out any college's financial aid package.
Insurance companies often continue to provide health insurance to children until they're 21 years old

And, it depends on what a person is motivated to do. There are a large number of fields where you cannot be successful - you cannot even enter those fields - unless you have a college degree. Not everyone wants to own their own business, and even then, you cannot open some businesses without a college degree.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Here's a question to give some thought to:
If more and more families save for college, doesn't that pretty much mean that colleges will be able to increase their tuitions at a greater rate? Kind of a supply and demand type thing? i.e. doesn't increased savings by a greater number of families actually help drive up college costs?

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
Originally posted by: DrPizza
If more and more families save for college, doesn't that pretty much mean that colleges will be able to increase their tuitions at a greater rate? Kind of a supply and demand type thing? i.e. doesn't increased savings by a greater number of families actually help drive up college costs?

Very much so, just like increased availability of financial aid dollars. They finally figured this out a few years back and have been raping students/parents ever since. If the money dried up schools would actually have to compete for business.

clickynext

Platinum Member
Dec 24, 2004
If they can, it's really good to do that. The parents aren't obligated to do it, but just because their kid turned 18 doesn't mean they shouldn't help them out anymore?? I'm really thankful that my parents are paying for my college bills to supplement my scholarships. Working and doing school at the same time is not something I feel the need to experience. Taking 7 courses is bad enough without workin a side job.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002

Yes, look at the effect of the easy access to student loans. College costs have skyrocketed due to this. Kids are graduating schools with massive debts that will burden them for the rest of their lives.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Ronstang

Very much so, just like increased availability of financial aid dollars. They finally figured this out a few years back and have been raping students/parents ever since. If the money dried up schools would actually have to compete for business.

bingo.

caivoma

Sep 3, 2004
I think it really depends on the parent's financing situation. College tuition is my responsibility imo.
I wouldnt be mad even if they are rich but they wouldnt help, since the college education gonna benefit only me, not them.