College bills, who pays?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: NanoStuff
Originally posted by: Mo0o
Originally posted by: NanoStuff
Didn't go to college, best decision of my life :) What a financial and life-force drain that would have been. My best friend did, poor bastard, now he's job hopping for 30 grand like a jailhouse bitch like all the other graduates that saturate the entry level job market with the same mediocre qualifications.

dont generalize your friends ineptitude to all college graduates.

Successful or not, I still consider all of you the system's bitches.

Nah. You could never get a tech job like I could. And IT doesn't count.

Originally posted by: Imp
Originally posted by: txrandom
Originally posted by: Naustica
My parents picked up my entire college costs including my spending money. Total cost was more than 120k. I didn't really appreciate it when I was in college. Now I do.

I will do the same for my daughter. She will get anything I can provide for her.

Same my parents pay for everything plus give me some spending money. I don't plan on paying them back monetarily...although I'd be nice to buy them a big purchase they need when/if I have enough money.

I plan on paying for my children's college.

There's absolutely no need to pay parents back for tuition, but I still plan on doing it. As appreciative as I am and will continue to be, I personally feel the need to pay up the debt to a degree (no interest). Just something about having that hang over me the rest of my life, and the fact that I can do it in a year or two once I get a full-time job.

Uh there is a need. I think it is absolutely necessary. It's not that they will kill you if you don't, but it's like someone buying you lunch and you never treating them back..... on a larger scale.

Do you realize how easy it is when they pay for your living expenses for 4 years? When you come out and get a job, you are DEBT FREE. Heck, the only way you can go is up assuming you get a job. It's a total win situation for you. You never have to climb out of a hole.

I find it absolutely necessary to pay the parents back. Maybe not immediately, but definitely when my finances are stable.

I plan to pay for my kids through college unless my family's financial situation turns into crap....

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: fleshconsumed
Originally posted by: Mo0o
Originally posted by: fleshconsumed
I'm amazed how many people think it's parents responsibility to see their kids through college.

Should parents be responsible for seeing their kids through college no matter what? Heck no.
Should parents be morally responsible for helping kids through college? No.
Would it be nice if they did help kid through college? Definitely, especially with the college costs skyrocketing in the past 5 years.

There are many different scenarios. Sure parents might have enough money to pay for college in the bank account, but what if those are their retirement money, would you still support paying kids through college? Kids will have their entire life to pay off the debts, retirement money are gone once they are gone. Even if parents had ability to foot 100% of the bill I would still be against it because that wouldn't teach kids any financial responsibility.

As for my part, my dad paid about 60% of college tuition, I paid the rest. He also lent me money to buy my first car which I repaid just now.

I don't have kids, but if and when I do they will not be getting free ride. Depending on how much money I have saved and their grades/workload through semester/chosen degree I will help out, but they will be expected to contribute to some degree in any case. If they chose liberal arts degree, well, they are just gonna have to pay it in full for themselves because I wouldn't be forking out big money for a useless degree. If they chose viable degree depending on the workload and their grades I will be willing to help out. The more courses they take during semester and the better their grades will be the more I will be willing to help out. If they are getting C's or they are only studying part time they will be expected to work and pay as much as they can, etc, etc, etc, etc...
I disagree. I think parents are responsible for giving their children the best opportunities in life possible. If that means shelling out the money to go to an ivy league school as oppose to the kid paying for community college by themselves, it's worth it. Then on the reverse, I think the child should support the parents once they go into retirement. Of course this is assuming the child is responsible and will make the most out of the opportunities provided to him/her

Parents are not responsible and the sooner they stop treating their kid like a child the better. Let the kid adjust to real life as soon as possible. My biggest opposition to footing 100% of the bill would be that kids will accept easy money and will not learn the sacrifice their parents made to made it possible. They will never learn how hard it is to start on your own from zero (I didn't have to, and I'm grateful for that for my dad, even if I don't like to admit it in the open), how hard it is to save another dollar a day, take out mortgage for a house, worry about job and at the same time save for both retirement and their kids college, and thus they are less likely to be financially responsible. That's why I don't want to pay 100% tuition for my future kids. I will help as much as I can depending on my own financial situation and how responsible my kids will be in regard to college education, but they will not be getting full ride, it's for their own good.
I think to sacrifice the possibility of going to the best college possible or maximizing their grades for the lesson of "spend money responsibly" is dumb. My parents paid for most of my education and i took on about $15,000 in loans. And honestly, I dont feel like I'm any more irresponsible with my money than someone who paid their way through community college because their parents wouldn't pay for a bigger school. I know plenty of kids that are very responsible with how they spend money and their parents are paying for all of their education. You only get 1 run at doing well in college, there are plenty of opportunities to learn about spending money wisely

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ViRGE
Originally posted by: BoberFett
A kid without a college degree is practically a waste in modern society
People like you are the biggest wastes in modern society.
How so? I make my position on the matter pretty clear: as a kid coming in to the workforce you're undereducated and less desirable to an employer than a kid that did the 4 years to get a degree. A high school education is no longer enough.
Egotism such as yours is simply a lesser manifestation of the same mindset which causes racism, sexism, etc. and frankly I'd rather have a nation full of the uneducated than one full of people like you. Newsflash pal, there's more to life than the rat race. Maybe when you're more than a snot-nosed punk kid you'll understand.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
How so? I make my position on the matter pretty clear: as a kid coming in to the workforce you're undereducated and less desirable to an employer than a kid that did the 4 years to get a degree. A high school education is no longer enough.
Egotism such as yours is simply a lesser manifestation of the same mindset which causes racism, sexism, etc. and frankly I'd rather have a nation full of the uneducated than one full of people like you. Newsflash pal, there's more to life than the rat race. Maybe when you're more than a snot-nosed punk kid you'll understand.
Personal attacks aside (I mean really now, I've been here as long as you have), there's no egotism in what I say. Undereducated kids are wasted potential, they could be better educated and holding better jobs, instead by having their education limited to high school they're not as of a productive member of society as they could be. We(the public) paid to put them through 13 years of schooling and as far as a return on an investment is concerned most of those kids are a wasted investment if they're not reaching their potential.

If you can be successful without further education, more power to you, but for most people their success is going to be a product of their education, which is why we go through such great lengths in the first place to provide it. And when you're undereducated compared to your peers, just how successful are you going to be?

zerocool1

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
femaven.blogspot.com
mine do, and i realize how lucky i am because i know how much college costs.
I know though that my parents will not pay for my MBA.

EDIT: i also had scholarships. I pay for non-essentials i.e. going out and etc. they paid for groceries and tuition

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
Personal attacks aside (I mean really now, I've been here as long as you have), there's no egotism in what I say. Undereducated kids are wasted potential, they could be better educated and holding better jobs, instead by having their education limited to high school they're not as of a productive member of society as they could be. We(the public) paid to put them through 13 years of schooling and as far as a return on an investment is concerned most of those kids are a wasted investment if they're not reaching their potential.

If you can be successful without further education, more power to you, but for most people their success is going to be a product of their education, which is why we go through such great lengths in the first place to provide it. And when you're undereducated compared to your peers, just how successful are you going to be?

While I don't agree with BoberFett completely, I will say that we cannot have a country full of over-educated and over-qualified individuals. Our society would fall apart.

Who would check you out at Wal-Mart? A 20-something with a Business degree with $95,000 debt making minimum wage?

Who would mow your lawn? A licensed civil engineer?

We need a wide range of working classes. Some people were never cut out for a college education, and although it isn't explicitly their fault (parents, environment, socio-economic status, ...), it is the truth. Wasted potential? Maybe, but you use this wasted potential every day. This wasted potential is required to be a functioning society.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: duragezic
In-state tuition at a regular ol state university is at least $20k per year, just so everyone knows. Unless people were talking about community college with such low numbers?

Tuition and fees has gone up 8-10% EVERY year since I've been here, and that has only been since 2004. I go to Michigan Tech, and am a resident, but just about all of the other "regular" universities are damn near the same, with ones like UofM or Michigan State possibly being higher.

Just got my financial aid info:

Estimated cost (tuition, fees, dorm&food/rent&utils&food, books, etc): $20,879
Awarded aid: Fed unsubsidized $5,500

That estimated cost doesn't include summer school, which is necessary for many to finish in 4yrs as it can be very tough to finish in 4 years/8 semesters, depending a number of factors.

Got to love filling out the FAFSA every year, before the state and fed priority deadlines, and getting jack. How do people get like full or even half rides?? I do know that most of my friends, who are 24 or older, get MUCH more aid (of all types) per year. Rather than having 1/4 of estimated cost covered (like me), I've seen my friend's statements that show 100% or so covered thru various types. The Pell Grant seems to be a favorite of my friends. :)

Me... well my parents help me out a lot. I don't know how much they have given me or give me a year, or what exactly it is for, but I know they've paid a lot. I'd be screwed big time if I had to do it on my own. I've got $20,000 in loans thus far, and I'll end up with $27k probably by the time I am done, and that is just for a BS. Without my parents, it'd be like 3x that. To help out, I did well in HS and got $5k, have done work study a couple of times, did a well-paying 8 month co-op, and have made the deans list all but once so I got $1,000/yr from the university a couple of times.

It is very hard to do by yourself, especially under 24, and regardless, you'll end up with tons of loans. It was just assumed from as long as I can remember that I'd go to college, and my parents would do everything they could to help pay. I know it is not easy for them. I will repay them in the future in some sort of way.

Out of the friends of mine that have went to college and graduated, versus the ones who didn't after high school... try minimum wage ($7.20 or so per hour) versus $50k or more a year. It's a huge difference. And sure, there are college graduates I know who have a BS but still make minimum wage or not much better. Maybe one HS grad from my class I don't know about rakes in the dollars, but statistically it is not at all even. Even a 2yr or some certificate is FAR better, especially if it is in the trades or health care (CNA and less-than-RN stuff isn't long school but very very good).

BTW, I'd HIGHLY recommend community college for most college-bound peeps. Even a year saves tons of money and makes zero difference with your degree. From what I've heard, the professors/instructors for calc, physics, chem, etc at my university generally suck, yet at community college I had some very nice, smart, and helpful instructors for those classes, and learned more than most learn here.

edit: Also, as one of a million ways to spend money wisely in those 4 years, ORDER BOOKS ONLINE. I swear, some people must be damn stupid to pay $500+ per semester on books. You save at a couple of hundred $ per semester by buying online, buying used locally, or borrowing/renting.

I don't know where you're going to college, but $20k+ a year for in-state public tuition is not the norm. The max you're going to pay around here is $8k a year (down to less than $4k a year). You can do your first 2 years at a community college and be guaranteed admittance to a state school if you have a 3.0 or higher. That's $1500-$2000 a year for 2 years, then $8k a year at the most for another 2 years. $20k maximum for tuition for undergrad. That's basically the amount you can get in Stafford loans over that time period. If you need more, get private loans (yes, you can even get them without your parents co-signing) and work (yes, you can work and go to school at the same time).

People who think they can't afford college on their own think they deserve to go to the #1 school in their region for 4 years, not work, and come out with no debt. Nobody owes you anything.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Safeway

While I don't agree with BoberFett completely, I will say that we cannot have a country full of over-educated and over-qualified individuals. Our society would fall apart.

Who would check you out at Wal-Mart? A 20-something with a Business degree with $95,000 debt making minimum wage?

We need a wide range of working classes. Some people were never cut out for a college education, and although it isn't explicitly their fault (parents, environment, socio-economic status, ...), it is the truth. Wasted potential? Maybe, but you use this wasted potential every day. This wasted potential is required to be a functioning society.

Safeway is entirely correct. We are able to have the lifestyle we do because of "wasted potential". Would you prefer that retail prices were 200% higher to cover $50,000 a year salaries for employees with graduate degrees in Business? How about that $60 burger and fries you had for lunch? $200 a month cell phone bill? We are a society of economic classes, regardless of how much you want to deny it.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003

That wasted potential is quickly becoming replaced by machines and computers.

For example....self checkout.

WhiteKnight

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
My parents paid for my college tuition just as their parents paid for theirs. Before I left for school when we were discussing finances, my mother told me that in exchange for their help, I was responsible for providing for the college education of my own children just as her father had told her when she went to college. That having been said, I helped out as much as I could once I was at school. I was an RA which covered my room and board and I had a part time job for additional income. I was 100% independent of them on the day I graduated and started grad school.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: joshsquall
Originally posted by: duragezic
In-state tuition at a regular ol state university is at least $20k per year, just so everyone knows. Unless people were talking about community college with such low numbers?

Tuition and fees has gone up 8-10% EVERY year since I've been here, and that has only been since 2004. I go to Michigan Tech, and am a resident, but just about all of the other "regular" universities are damn near the same, with ones like UofM or Michigan State possibly being higher.

Just got my financial aid info:

Estimated cost (tuition, fees, dorm&food/rent&utils&food, books, etc): $20,879
Awarded aid: Fed unsubsidized $5,500

I don't know where you're going to college, but $20k+ a year for in-state public tuition is not the norm. The max you're going to pay around here is $8k a year (down to less than $4k a year). You can do your first 2 years at a community college and be guaranteed admittance to a state school if you have a 3.0 or higher. That's $1500-$2000 a year for 2 years, then $8k a year at the most for another 2 years. $20k maximum for tuition for undergrad. That's basically the amount you can get in Stafford loans over that time period. If you need more, get private loans (yes, you can even get them without your parents co-signing) and work (yes, you can work and go to school at the same time).

People who think they can't afford college on their own think they deserve to go to the #1 school in their region for 4 years, not work, and come out with no debt. Nobody owes you anything.
I'm an idiot, that's how I came up with that number! :)

I said in-state tuition was $20k, but I meant that number was the estimated cost for everything (as I said correctly later).

However, my in-state tuition & fees for next year is just shy of $10k, not including summer. This year, it was about $9k for tuition. There is also over $400/yr extra for additional fees as well as a absurd $1000/yr surcharge. So even if you take everything else out of the equation: books/supplies are free, room and board are free, personal and travel free, etc, it will cost over $11,000 just to take a full schedule of classes next year. Michigan Tech is known as a solid engineering school, but is rated nowhere near something like UofM, so the max in Michigan may be a little higher.

I believe most of the other common and similar state schools in MI are quite close to $9k or $10k for in-state tuition, but I'd have to check to be sure. I'm kind of curious now, to see if I'm getting ripped off up here or not! :frown:

If an average state school where you live is only $4k to $8k for in-state tuition per year... well that is excellent.

Indeed, if you are paying for college by yourself, community college makes even more sense. But sometimes you are limited to just 1yr at a CC to not fall behind at a university if the curriculums don't match well. Also, a lot of people can't finish a bachelors in 4 years anymore. Staying 2yrs at a CC might mean you can't finish in 2 more years at a university, or some just can't do the 16-17 credits per semester. When you bring work into that equation, it is very very hard to do. I know I couldn't get a 3.5 with 16-17 credits while working 20 hours a week or so.

I just meant that although I sign up and accept EVERY federal loan, have worked some throughout university, got a good chunk of money from HS and the state, my parents still end up paying a lot of of their pocket. It just is a ridiculous amount of money how much it costs, and how much it goes up every year. Good thing I'll be done in one more, but if grad school is gonna end up to be almost necessary.... :(

kevnich2

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2004
Like most other people have said, if the parents can afford to do it, why not? Especially if the parent's make so much the child cannot qualify for financial aid. That was the boat I was in, I tried getting financial aid but my dad made too much. He also wouldn't pay for my education, either. I was able to get 1 1/2 years before I had to quit school and get a full time job just to be able to pay for things. I'm in the IT sector and now I make pretty good money, am married but I still don't have my degree yet. I plan on going back hopefully in a few months to complete my bachelor's degree either in CIS or Computer Engineering. For me, it's more of a personal achievement to prove to myself that I could do it on my own. When I have kids, you better believe that I will be assisting as much as they need it, but they will have specific goals they have to meet to stay in school, ie: No grade below a C, if they want personal spending money, get a part time job so they at least have some responsibility and isn't out partying all night.

crystal

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 1999
Originally posted by: joshsquall

Safeway is entirely correct. We are able to have the lifestyle we do because of "wasted potential". Would you prefer that retail prices were 200% higher to cover $50,000 a year salaries for employees with graduate degrees in Business? How about that $60 burger and fries you had for lunch? $200 a month cell phone bill? We are a society of economic classes, regardless of how much you want to deny it.

Wouldn't that be opposite? More productivity leads to lower price for everyone. And what is this $60/hr for flipping burger? The reason those doctors/lawyers/engineers got paid high wage because the demand for their skills. i.e. supply/demand. If everyone is "over-educated and over-qualified " then the standard will move. These "over" people will be "normalize" with new standard.
You can see this trend in past education vs now. 100 years ago, BA/BS degree was limited and worth a lot. As more people get access to higher ed, BA/BS degree become starting point and AA falls to the sideline. I expect our children life time, to compete in the work force, they need at least MS degree.