CIA Torture Report Set to Go Nuclear

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
The only thing this report illustrates is how petty our politics are, and how scary our Government is. Petty, because there isn't a chance in hell that Obama is going to prosecute anyone, scary, because, well, you know, torture.

-John

Dec 10, 2005
The only thing this report illustrates is how petty our politics are, and how scary our Government is. Petty, because there isn't a chance in hell that Obama is going to prosecute anyone, scary, because, well, you know, torture.

-John

Today, it's Arab terrorists, who is it the government is going to decide tomorrow is dangerous and needs 'extraordinary treatment'?

Hell, they abducted one guy from JFK Airport. What ever happened to a country based around the rules of law:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maher_Arar

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
And you still will not condemn the present administration for continuing renditions (hand wave all you want, it's known that CIA/other agents of the US are often present and even directing the 'interrogations' of people that have been renditioned), continuing and expanding extrajudicial assassinations or, as I recall, even the expanded spying on American citizens/the world.

In short, you are as much a blind partisan as those on 'the other side' you constantly belittle.

It's *all* Bush/Republicans.

Except it's not...

For example:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...593aa0-5102-11e2-984e-f1de82a7c98a_story.html

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2013/01/remix-rendition-proxy-detention

http://www.propublica.org/article/the-best-reporting-on-detention-and-rendition-under-obama

It's remarkable that you'd link the Mother Jones article explaining the difference between "proxy detention" and "extraordinary rendition", yet falsely insist that The Obama Admin engages in Rendition. There's a big difference between being arrested in a foreign country that a person entered voluntarily & being kidnapped across international borders. There's a big difference between then being extradited to this country or set free vs being held at Gitmo for 12 years w/o trial. Hell, they're holding perps at Gitmo who'll never come to trial because the Bushistas botched any hope of ever making a case against them in a court of law. That can't be demonstrated to be happening under the Obama Admin at all.

"They're just as Bad!" is a bullshit claim serving only to distract us from exposing the depravity of the Neocons.

Nov 25, 2013
It's remarkable that you'd link the Mother Jones article explaining the difference between "proxy detention" and "extraordinary rendition", yet falsely insist that The Obama Admin engages in Rendition. There's a big difference between being arrested in a foreign country that a person entered voluntarily & being kidnapped across international borders. There's a big difference between then being extradited to this country or set free vs being held at Gitmo for 12 years w/o trial. Hell, they're holding perps at Gitmo who'll never come to trial because the Bushistas botched any hope of ever making a case against them in a court of law. That can't be demonstrated to be happening under the Obama Admin at all.

"They're just as Bad!" is a bullshit claim serving only to distract us from exposing the depravity of the Neocons.

Have I said they are just as bad? No. I guess, for example, getting another country to arrest and torture someone for you is better than doing it yourself.

Can you ever bring yourself to unconditionally condemn Democrats (i.e. the present administration) when they do something wrong? Apparently, the answer is no.

You are as blindly partisan as any of the Republican supporters you castigate for being the same with their party.

Last edited:

Angry Irishman

Golden Member
Jan 25, 2010
I know rite? Isn't torture HILARIOUS?!?! Dumb libs. They don't even get the joke!

Yea almost as funny as Americans being killed because of pure negligence. This whole thread and the actual release of this report is nothing but political antics. If this had happened under the Obama administration (which it likely has) there would be a shit ton of folks on here defending it. Why? Because there are folks on here (from both sides) who care more about their political party than the actions that took place. Are the actions that took place horrible? Sure, but these actions come with the reality of war and this is nothing new.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Yea almost as funny as Americans being killed because of pure negligence. This whole thread and the actual release of this report is nothing but political antics. If this had happened under the Obama administration (which it likely has) there would be a shit ton of folks on here defending it. Why? Because there are folks on here (from both sides) who care more about their political party than the actions that took place. Are the actions that took place horrible? Sure, but these actions come with the reality of war and this is nothing new.

Just because you are morally corrupt and a pussy, doesn't mean the rest of us are so stop projecting, it's getting pathetic.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
I know rite? Isn't torture HILARIOUS?!?! Dumb libs. They don't even get the joke!

I just shoved a bowl of hummus up your ass, guess what I call it?

Dinner! Hahahahahahahahahah!!!

Too funny.. We should take this on the road, oh wait, we already did! Banana banana haha

Murica! Fuck yeah! The turrurists can lick my nuts and suck on my balls! Fuck yeah!

Angry Irishman

Golden Member
Jan 25, 2010
Just because you are morally corrupt and a pussy, doesn't mean the rest of us are so stop projecting, it's getting pathetic.

Quite the forum tough guy again....go get some air and relax. Work some of that partisan hack and insults out of your system. Everything I stated is a reality even if you can't accept it....you certainly portray it. You of all are going to preach about morality and pussyfication? ....please get over yourself.

Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Quite the forum tough guy again....go get some air and relax. Work some of that partisan hack and insults out of your system. Everything I stated is a reality even if you can't accept it....you certainly portray it. You of all are going to preach about morality and pussyfication? ....please get over yourself.

Take your own advice;)

cirrrocco

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2004
US paraded prisoners in orange jumpsuits and now we have innocent americans sliced in orange jumpsuits

Now we know that enhanced interrogation techniques [a.ka.a Torture] involved loading hummus up a prisoners ass, pretty soon we will see the same done to american /western prisoners

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Yup. John, Ivvy, and the rest would happily tongue-swab any DC dem's sphincter

Thanks be to the dems for exposing our moral failing! Now that we've told the world how bad we are, we can get back to our regularly scheduled drone strikes.

Have I said they are just as bad? No. I guess, for example, getting another country to arrest and torture someone for you is better than doing it yourself.

Can you ever bring yourself to unconditionally condemn Democrats (i.e. the present administration) when they do something wrong? Apparently, the answer is no.

You are as blindly partisan as any of the Republican supporters you castigate for being the same with their party.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Heh. You really don't understand how law enforcement works in many parts of the world. Standard practice is often just beating it out of suspects, whatever they want- confessions, information, anything. Just for practice, ya know? They don't hammer terrorist suspects because we ask 'em to. It's because that's SOP wrt suspects in general. That's not very far behind us in this country, either.

I suppose that in order to avoid that we should just wait until suspects go to some country having the same standards as our own, right?

Nov 25, 2013
Heh. You really don't understand how law enforcement works in many parts of the world. Standard practice is often just beating it out of suspects, whatever they want- confessions, information, anything. Just for practice, ya know? They don't hammer terrorist suspects because we ask 'em to. It's because that's SOP wrt suspects in general. That's not very far behind us in this country, either.

I suppose that in order to avoid that we should just wait until suspects go to some country having the same standards as our own, right?

Just be honest, you can't do it can you? Too bad as you seem to be smarter than that.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

Thanks be to the dems for exposing our moral failing! Now that we've told the world how bad we are, we can get back to our regularly scheduled drone strikes.

I think that says more about you than anything. What else do you fantasize about?

Nov 25, 2013

Which one are you? Pot or kettle?

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
I wish I had a DVR, because watching Fox News twisting and squirming about the report is sooo funny. The BS they are saying to support torture and Bush/Cheney is unbelievable...Classic TV comedy.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I wish I had a DVR, because watching Fox News twisting and squirming about the report is sooo funny. The BS they are saying to support torture and Bush/Cheney is unbelievable...Classic TV comedy.

FOX can get so far from reality in their commentary and how they slant the news to their liking without blinking an eye because their faithful viewers are either stupid enough to buy into their propaganda or go along for the ride just because it feels good to hear scary bed time stories that they wish so bad were true. The smarter ones will know what narratives are lies, half truths and innuendo, yet they'll support those truthie tidbits among themselves simply because it helps their cause.

I bet 99.99% of the conservatives in this forum are more than intelligent enough to know for a fact that FOX constantly spew outright lies and bend the truth so blatantly that only an idiot would believe any of it. Just for the fact that none of them go out of their way to openly support FOX is proof enough for me. ;)

When the report broke I was flipping channels between MSNBC and FOX just to hear two sides of the story. Amazing how a fresh painting that hasn't even dried yet can get interpreted so "differently".

Dec 10, 2005
What a disgrace to the bench:

"Scalia also said that while there are U.S. laws against torture, nothing in the Constitution appears to prohibit harsh treatment of suspected terrorists. "I don't know what article of the Constitution that would contravene," he said. Scalia spent a college semester in Switzerland at the University of Fribourg.""

http://www.newsday.com/news/nation/scalia-hard-to-rule-out-extreme-measures-1.9710424

I guess constitutional principles, like due process, the ban on cruel and unusual punishment, and all the treaties we've signed on this issue only apply to people we decide to apply it to. No conflict of interest there in the government deeming who to apply these rules to...

Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

"Scalia also said that while there are U.S. laws against torture, nothing in the Constitution appears to prohibit harsh treatment of suspected terrorists. "I don't know what article of the Constitution that would contravene," he said. Scalia spent a college semester in Switzerland at the University of Fribourg.""

http://www.newsday.com/news/nation/scalia-hard-to-rule-out-extreme-measures-1.9710424

I guess constitutional principles, like due process, the ban on cruel and unusual punishment, and all the treaties we've signed on this issue only apply to people we decide to apply it to. No conflict of interest there in the government deeming who to apply these rules to...

Here's an interesting opinion piece I largely agree with.

What was done is despicable. That there's virtually no chance for justice is as well. What horrid people run this nation.

When two branches of government don't reign in something so obviously illegal and our only hope is for a disfunctional congress to do something, democracy and the system we believe in has failed.

Truly disgusting!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

No joke, they tried to argue that since extrajudicial torture isn't a "punishment" administered by a court, it isn't punishment so the ban on cruel and unusual punishment doesn't apply.

Think of how truly insane and evil that is. For a bunch of people who claim to always want to know what the founding fathers wanted they are arguing that the government is more free to inflict horrible things on people is GREATER when they have been convicted of no crime. It's things like this that makes me say we need to go after the lawyers.