Chinese Toddler Ran over and left, nobody helps.

IBMer

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2000
Gruesome footage of a toddler falling victim to two successive hit-and-run accidents and then being ignored by many passers-by at the scene last week in southern China continued to galvanize the nation Monday, prompting a fierce debate on the state of morality in Chinese society

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/17/world/asia/china-toddler-hit-and-run/index.html?hpt=hp_bn4

The video is very sad. I hope our society never becomes that apathetic.

This reminds me of a time when I saw a kitten get ran over and people just kept hitting it and hitting it and nobody stopped even though it was twitching on the road.

Kantastic

Platinum Member
Sep 23, 2009
I'm not surprised. As a Chinese-American, I think China is one of the darkest countries in the world. Sure the media portrays them as one of the fastest growing nations globally, but China will never be a first-class nation because the problem lies within the people.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
didn't similar happen here in the US couple years back? some guy got ran over and everyone looked and kept walking.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
That's wrong on so many levels :(

Not sure if that is worse than this:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/08/us-china-execution-idUSTRE7570M220110608
Yao confessed to hitting Zhang Miao, 26, with his Chevrolet Cruze compact car last October as Zhang was riding her bicycle home, injuring her slightly.

Afraid that Zhang, a cafeteria worker and mother of a two-year-old, would report his license number to police, he stabbed her repeatedly until she died, the Supreme People's Court said in a statement, according to the China Daily newspaper.

Yao had previously been quoted as telling police he killed Zhang because he feared "the peasant woman would be hard to deal with" and demand high compensation.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
Just reading the thread title I said it had to be a little girl, clicked on the thread and then the video and it was confirmed. You can blame the one child per family rule and the fact that boys are valued more then girls. What a fucked up country.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
This is what happens to a desperate people who are struggling for their tiny piece of the pie and know that their government is corrupt and they simply don't have the time/interest to deal with anything.

In conclusion, fvck China.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
That is a nightmare. The reality of that video is very unsettling.

There is something very, very wrong in that part of china for that number of people to ignore that child.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
A country that revels in abortion and infanticide with a supportive population of these barbaric acts--no big suprise to read of this.

I don't want to see that video.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
How is this different than Republican indifference and scorn of folk who have no jobs. They are driving the van that runs their fellow citizens down. We don't have to look anywhere for a lack of morality and crass indifference than in the mirror.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
I called 911 recently because I saw a man falling down in the street. Everyone else just drove by without a care in the world. A lot of people realize that being a 'good sumaritan' has potential liability with 0 reward. I didn't get anything for calling 911 for that guy in the street, but I certainly could have gotten slapped with some legal hazard. The guy could have claimed that I beat him up or took his wallet.

When the cops got there they barely looked at me and just told me to go stand somewhere else.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
So since this little girl died, does that mean the parents are allowed to have another child or do you only get 1 kid per lifetime there?

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
Just spoke about this to my gf, and she told me people were probably afraid, as there's a common scam in china where a person pretends to be hit by a car and when you go to help them they claim it was you who hit them and then sue you.

Still f'ed p, IMO.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Actually, in this case, that's exactly why nobody helped.

Oh bullshit. There's nothing against the law about calling the authorities or notifying other vehicles that there's a frigging child on the ground. And even when there are liability issues with disturbing an injured body, people often do something anyway precisely because morality involves making tough choices.

Just another reminder why the world is better off with a weak China.

Last edited: