Chick Fill Aye on same sex marry age

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
If they didn't care, then they wouldn't be organizing "appreciation days". And we wouldn't have right-wingers freaking out as they are doing now.

You didn't answer my question, though. How does boycotting Chick-Fil-A infringe on anyone's right to free speech?

PS Since you appear to need some help, a hint: the right to free speech does not include the right to not face consequences for your speech.

I never said it did.

How's dem sales numbers doing from your little boycott?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
This 100 times.

Apparently a lot of people think there are two options: hate for gays, or full support for anything supported by gay people.

Very myopic view of the world IMO.

CFA directly funds the WinShape charity that is controlled by the Cathy family.

WinShape has donated an estimated $5 million to conservative groups including Eagle Forum, Focus on the Family, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Family Research Council, Exodus International and the Marriage & Family Legacy Fund since 2003. Approximately $2 million was given in 2009[8][9] [10] and almost the same amount in 2010.[11][12] The Foundation's financial support of these groups has caused gay-rights advocates to denounce the chain and has also led to movements against Chick-Fil-A restaurants and products on various college and university campuses including Northeastern University and NYU. Northeastern University's Student Senate voted on February 28, 2012 to cancel plans for an on-campus Chick-Fil-A restaurant[13] and an online petition against the NYU franchise was also launched that same month.[14] On July 19, 2012, Chick-fil-A (WinShape's parent organization) posted on its official Facebook page that “Going forward, our intent is to leave the policy debate over same-sex marriage to the government and political arena.”[15]

A lot of companies stay silent on the gay / anti-gay positions it may or may not have. Since CFA is a private company they aren't as limited by a large pool of public shareholders who would not find this little sojourn amusing, as is the case with most large companies.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
I'm still waiting to see proof of CFA supporting gay hate groups.
There's a difference between gay hate (killing gays) and disagreeing with gay marriage that I think people are misunderstanding.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_t6rV3U9ZEHM/TAhGcuUFyeI/AAAAAAAA0Bw/fNiELnL_yZM/s1600/FRCUganda1.jpg http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_t6rV3U9ZEHM/TAhGcThtYrI/AAAAAAAA0Bo/GMsWVnqRpXw/s1600/FRCUganda2.jpg http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_t6rV3U9ZEHM/TAhGb4OAnHI/AAAAAAAA0Bg/5rgp8GJGIa8/s1600/FRCUganda3.jpg FRC supporting Uganda's 'Kill The Gay's initiative as implemented by the Family (a group of people with so much hate for gays they resorted to trying to legislate death in Africa for them since that would never work in the US) with $25,000 dollars. You can read more about them: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=120746516 As for the record lines at a shitty artery clogging fast food restaurant, I don't think I'll be shedding a single tear that these fat fucks grow fatter and closer to death. Hope it was worth it.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_t6rV3U9ZEHM/TAhGcuUFyeI/AAAAAAAA0Bw/fNiELnL_yZM/s1600/FRCUganda1.jpg http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_t6rV3U9ZEHM/TAhGcThtYrI/AAAAAAAA0Bo/GMsWVnqRpXw/s1600/FRCUganda2.jpg http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_t6rV3U9ZEHM/TAhGb4OAnHI/AAAAAAAA0Bg/5rgp8GJGIa8/s1600/FRCUganda3.jpg FRC supporting Uganda's 'Kill The Gay's initiative as implemented by the Family (a group of people with so much hate for gays they resorted to trying to legislate death in Africa for them since that would never work in the US) with $25,000 dollars. You can read more about them: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=120746516 As for the record lines at a shitty artery clogging fast food restaurant, I don't think I'll be shedding a single tear that these fat fucks grow fatter and closer to death. Hope it was worth it.

Wishing death on others because they support freedom of speech and religion.

The tolerant liberal.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001

The tolerant liberal.

I'm not a liberal or a conservative, try thinking outside of your binary box for once, you might find there's an entire world out there that doesn't neatly fit into two columns. Way to completely ignore the evidence presented by the way. I also never wished death on anyone, I said I wouldn't be sad if it happens. Try reading carefully next time.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
I never said it did.

Well, yes, you did. You made a wisecrack about liberals only being selective about supporting free speech, suggesting that free speech was involved here. Were you just pulling stuff at random out of your ass?

How's dem sales numbers doing from your little boycott?

Since you asked: Chick-Fil-A Reputation Plunges 40% After Company’s Anti-Gay Comments.

Chick-Fil-A-Top-QSR-Index-fast-food.jpg

surfsatwerk

Lifer
Mar 6, 2008
I'm not a liberal or a conservative, try thinking outside of your binary box for once, you might find there's an entire world out there that doesn't neatly fit into two columns. Way to completely ignore the evidence presented by the way.

Observe this post. This is how they turn you, "to the dark side".

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Nobody cares about your little boycott.

This is about politicians officially attacking or attempt to shutdown a business and a owner's freedom of speech AND religion.

How's the massive protest/boycot of Chic-Fil-A working out? How's dem sales numbers doing? I'm sure Chic-Fil-A is shaking in their boots.

Bald Eagles have been known to pounce and eat a chicken. What you're seeing today is 100s of thousands of bald eagles being awoken for a single common cause against tyranny of the "tolerant" left.

A non-sustainable couple day bump in revenue means almost nothing, particularly when you just alienated most of the markets you're trying to expand into because your primary markets are already saturated.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
A non-sustainable couple day bump in revenue means almost nothing, particularly when you just alienated most of the markets you're trying to expand into because your primary markets are already saturated.

Yep. These are the same people who think Obama needs to book moving vans because Romney got a 2 point bump in Oklahoma or something.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
This 100 times.

Apparently a lot of people think there are two options: hate for gays, or full support for anything supported by gay people.

Very myopic view of the world IMO.

I don't know if you guys have selective reading issues, or just plug your ears and eyes when people answer this very same questions, quite directly, even though you keep asking it as if it has never been answered.

this is EXACTLY about what they are supporting, with their money. This is not about what some bigoted redneck WASP is simply trumpeting from his hate throne.

Here:

http://equalitymatters.org/factcheck/201207020001

Again--Chik Fil-A profits being directly funneled to organizations that support unconstitutional limits on civil liberties.

fucking "patriotic, freedom-loving" hypocrites.

:D

lol--just because the redneck fogies of the country dislike the fact that anyone is free to respond in kind, how they chose, to someone else's vocal and financial support of unconstitutional civil liberty restrictions, does not make anyone less of a patriot than themselves.

In fact, this makes the "patriots" the most un-american of the bunch.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You'll find the most intolerance coming from those screaming "tolerance" at anybody they disagree with. Same with free speech, they love them some free speech, as long as they approve. The liberal is the most intolerant bigot known to man.

Much Irony in this post.

:D

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Bald Eagles have been known to pounce and eat a chicken. What you're seeing today is 100s of thousands of bald eagles being awoken for a single common cause against tyranny of the "tolerant" left.

Jesus tap dancing christ.

Spidey--you sound like you're ready to lead the goose-stepping parade of the illiterate, book-burning haters club right down Kentucky.

I honestly can't imagine that they way you sound is actually what you believe--because this is pure, unadulterated, nationalist fascism.

Odin help us if your kind ever takes over, and establishes the Christian Caliphate of the USA that you so obviously desire.

D:

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Who gives a F. The guy is an asshole, probably closeted, but that's no reason to legally block their restaurants.

Protest and shaming in the media is fine. But the mayors should stay out of the fight.

Last edited:

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey07

Spidey--you sound like you're ready to lead the goose-stepping parade of the illiterate, book-burning haters club right down Kentucky.

I honestly can't imagine that they way you sound is actually what you believe--because this is pure, unadulterated, nationalist fascism.

Odin help us if your kind ever takes over, and establishes the Christian Caliphate of the USA that you so obviously desire.

Holy crap. 0_o

Doubt he washed his hands either before diving into the sandwich. :barf:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

The tolerant liberal.

Chik Fil-A supports the slaying of homosexuals in Uganda.

Fact: your chicken sandwich = support of murder.

:hmm:

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

D:

See you in November.

Remember the wisconsin recall?
Remember the democrat house seat in a jewish district in new york?
Remember senator from Massachusetts?
Remember historic 2010 elections?

Yep. See you in November. We're done with your kind.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
See you in November.

Remember the wisconsin recall?
Remember the democrat house seat in a jewish district in new york?
Remember senator from Massachusetts?
Remember historic 2010 elections?

lol

what country do you live in?

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012

Still waiting for an explanation of how this has anything to do with "free speech".

While I'm waiting, perhaps you can provide us with a list of the states Romney is going to get 270 electoral votes from. I bet there's no polling to support it.

But hey, don't let a few facts get in the way of your preconceptions.

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
Gay marriage is a fundamental change to the definition of marriage. If you can alter the definition of marriage to include gays, there is logically no reason why it can't extend to polygamy or other weird stuff.

Women voters are a fundamental change to the definition of a voter. If you can alter the definition of a voter to include women, there is logically no reason why it can't extend to dogs or other weird stuff.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Women voters are a fundamental change to the definition of a voter. If you can alter the definition of a voter to include women, there is logically no reason why it can't extend to dogs or other weird stuff.

(well, the definition of "voter" once extended to "corpses" in the city of Chicago)

:whiste:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I was specifically referring to PokerGuy's holier than thou stance that he was supporting them specifically because they were voicing an opinion that was not politically correct. That's pure bullshit. He's supporting them because they are voicing an opinion he agrees with. I don't think you have to agree with a company to purchase their products; there have been cries that Rockstar Energy Drink and Celestial Seasonings Tea had ties to homophobic agendas, but it didn't stop my patronage of those items. I just think that getting high and mighty when the leader of a company says something that you agree with and attacking anyone who responds as being against free speech is hypocritical.
It's certainly easier for each of us to support free speech when we agree with the speech, but I'll take PokerGuy at his word. Although personally, I think anyone is free to disagree without being opposed to free speech.

You think it is economically advantageous to have single mother, grow up in the ghetto, get a crappy fraudulent state education, turn into a gang banger and end up going to prison for the rest of your life?

I think what you meant is that government makes it possible to live in perpetual poverty because they provide you with just enough to survive without having to work at all. It is like taking away the first rung on the ladder.

Right. Except people WOULD chose to view it that way over time. Just like inner city blacks. It took a couple decades to get to the point we are at today.

The problem with your argument is that those types of marriages are still marriages. They are still unions between men and women whom produce children. Gay marriage is a fundamental change to the definition of marriage. If you can alter the definition of marriage to include gays, there is logically no reason why it can't extend to polygamy or other weird stuff.
No, it's disaster for the children. When you correct for having a single mother, there are no significant differences between blacks and whites in rates of arrests and convictions. But for the mothers, even though long term it's a dead end, in the short term it's economically advantageous to not get married. Even worse, our social safety net makes it practical for young girls to have their own apartments without a man, so initially it isn't even a question of whether or not to get married. However, once on the welfare, government makes it disadvantageous to get married; live together on the sly and you have his income (if any) plus your check.

I take your point and I'll extend the analogy. Here's a ladder by which you can pull yourself up, but it takes hard work, job skills and a work ethic which you probably haven't been taught, and years of effort, and it's entirely possible to slip down the ladder, even crashing all the way to the bottom. Here's the new, improved government ladder; the first rung is very wide, padded, and furnished with life's basic necessities plus some amenities, so you can stay there as long as you wish and probably live better than half the world. The only downside? There are no other rungs.

Regarding gay marriage being a fundamental change in the institution of marriage, I agree. Marriage has been defined as one man, one woman (albeit with notable exceptions that persist even today) for 2,500+ years, and the changes tend to be tightening rather than loosening that definition by such things as increasing penalties for bigamy and more protection of minors. But no institution can serve its society forever without changes, else it changes from a uniform defining the society to a straitjacket confining the society. Even religions, which should be the most constant of all institutions, exhibit real and continual change. That people may choose to view marriage as debased if gays are allowed to marry is really no different from some people choosing to view Judaism as debased because of Reform Judaism, or Islam as debased because of Shia or Sunni sects, or Christianity as debased because most of us no longer stone adulterers or worship on the Sabbath. It's a personal choice and should not be an excuse for government to treat one group of individuals differently from another.

I have no major problem with polygamous/polyandrous marriages, but it's unarguable that these present potential problems that gay marriages simply don't present. Is a gay marriage really THAT much different from a marriage with a house husband and a bread-earning wife, where at least some of the prominent roles within a marriage are reversed? Is a gay couple with adopted or artificially inseminated children really THAT much different from a hetero marriage with adopted or artificially inseminated children, or a childless gay marriage that much different from a childless hetero marriage. I suspect that once gay marriage has been with us a decade or two, very few people will even notice it. Just within my lifetime, in my high school, homosexuality and/or bisexuality has gone from the worst imaginable slur - something I frankly didn't really believe existed until I began to go to some freaky places at 15 and 16 - to something that's really no big deal. Traditions are great and important, but society is remarkably flexible in adapting to changes.

Just as much as capitalism and Judeo-Christian philosophy, Western civilization has been about extending and expanding individual liberty. When our society was very intolerant of homosexuals, gay marriage wasn't really a concern because almost everyone able to take advantage of gay marriage was already in the position of not needing the societal benefits conferred by marriage. Also, homosexuality just wasn't done, so much like Iran today, homosexuality was limited to those individuals for whom a sexual bond with the opposite sex just wasn't an option. Even for those individuals, most simply stayed single and celibate; the costs of doing otherwise were just too high for most. Today it's different; homosexuals are pretty mainstreamed and accepted, so any government limitations are felt sharply. Black slaves weren't concerned about fighting for their right of freedom of religion because they had much more serious problems; same with most homosexuals and gay marriage. But just as the USSR discovered when it tried to be not quite so evil, freed blacks and homosexuals allowed to be openly gay want ALL their rights. Fully integrating homosexuals will luckily for us be a LOT less painful, as homosexuals have not been systematically denied a decent education and the better jobs. I really don't expect a lot of society pain from allowing gays to marry. However, even if I did, I'd still support gay marriage. Constraining the minority's rights for the benefit of the majority is in my opinion an evil thing.

Yep. My gay lawyer is even against all the CFA hate. He thinks the reaction is doing more harm than good because it has all the lefty libs spewing hate and looking like maniacs as they flip shit about old news.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/0...-christine-quinn-asks-nyu-to-evict-chick-fil/

NYC council speaker sends letter to NYU (on official letterhead) telling them to kick out CFA for being gay haters. The other council members are pissed.
I suspect this will be the most common result. And frankly, that's a damn shame. We run a real risk of going from supporting a good, decent organization with one wrong view, to supporting the wrong view because we don't like the attack. People can be total dicks and still sometimes be morally right.

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
In fact, it already has led to worse - TEENAGERS!

Dogs might not have opposable thumbs, but their cognitive functions are arguably higher, and your average dog is unarguably a much more loyal, sensible creature than your average teenager - not to mention being cheaper to raise. If dogs could mow the lawn and pick out a good retirement home, we probably wouldn't have teenagers at all.

/snark

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Looks like KFC is trying to pick up the Chick-fil-a customers...

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sidesho...il-controversy-colonel-sanders-183007225.html

:biggrin:

Personally, I don't give two shits about this one way or the other. I don't have any of their restaurants in my local area, (closest is about 60 miles away) but I wouldn't let this stop me from doing business there. However, since I'm not particularly fond of chicken in the first place...it's unlikely that I'd go there anyway...

As long as they're not refusing to hire or firing homosexual employees, or refusing service to homosexual customers, I don't care if the company's CEO proclaims that he's anti-homosexual marriage or not.
He's fully entitled to have his opinion, permitted to voice said opinion, and yes, people are just as entitled to boycott the restaurant chain and deride him for his opinion.

That's one of the beautiful things about this country...people can speak their opinions without government interference...and other people are free to disagree.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
Looks like KFC is trying to pick up the Chick-fil-a customers...

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sidesho...il-controversy-colonel-sanders-183007225.html

:biggrin:

Personally, I don't give two shits about this one way or the other. I don't have any of their restaurants in my local area, (closest is about 60 miles away) but I wouldn't let this stop me from doing business there. However, since I'm not particularly fond of chicken in the first place...it's unlikely that I'd go there anyway...

As long as they're not refusing to hire or firing homosexual employees, or refusing service to homosexual customers, I don't care if the company's CEO proclaims that he's anti-homosexual marriage or not.
He's fully entitled to have his opinion, permitted to voice said opinion, and yes, people are just as entitled to boycott the restaurant chain and deride him for his opinion.

That's one of the beautiful things about this country...people can speak their opinions without government interference...and other people are free to disagree.

Omg that was so good.

I don't have any CFAs within 100 miles or so. I think the last time I ate there was in the LSU union back in college. I have given gay marriage and people being gay in general just enough thought to conclude that I don't give a shit either way, but since I'm not one to stand in the way of another person's happiness when it in no way conflicts with my own, I'm glad to expend the effort necessary to check the box in favor of it in a voting booth I was likely occupying for other reasons anyway. The people who are in favor of gay marriage should not expect one ounce of additional support from me though. I will eat at Chik-fil-a if I take a mind to do so. I won't be inconvenienced by political issues I don't care about. I just won't.

I love the back and forth between the people who aren't gay, but have anointed themselves to be the straight champions of the gay cause, and the other straight people who are in no way affected by anything gays do, but decided to be offended by their very existence and to stand in the way of everything they might want. If both of those groups looked at this issue like I do, it wouldnt be an issue at all. Neither group is getting anything out of this but the wonderful feeling of righteous indignation that we all know and love. We love to think we are right and someone else is wrong and we have free reign to get really pissed about it. In the end it's usually just a pointless expenditure of energy for all parties involved.