Chick Fill Aye on same sex marry age

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Chick-fil-a is awesome.

What sucks is that every time I decide I want to eat there it's Sunday.
LOL This, exactly.

I disagree with their stance on gay marriage, but then my bike insurance is with Progressive, a great company with whose ownership I also disagree on many issues. When exactly did we start insisting on total political agreement?

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Even though you may not agree with the statements, you should support their right to make their own decision.

Isn't part of American society the ability to have our own opinions?

Isn't it also part of American society to say "Fuck you, I don't agree with what you stand for and refuse to enable you."....."

Protest is very much a two way street.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
They obviously have standards too and kudos to them to sticking by them.

These people have standards too - please proceed to give them kudos:

god_hates_fags.jpg

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
Sometimes standards are wrong. There's no need to give someone "kudos" for exercising their freedom to be a bigot.

Only in this twisted world do people call right wrong and wrong right.

Just because your morals are down the drain doesn't mean everyone has to let theirs go down there too.

Oh, and those signs in the post above are stupid, though at the same time God would have every reason to hate America for the utter bile that flows through this country (and every country in the world to be quite frank).

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Those organizations that Chick Fil A donates to don't seem to be anti-gay. They're just Christian. Christianity forbids MSM (but not WSW).

So are we now supposed to boycott every Christian organization for following their religion?

What about Muslims? Jews?

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

Just because your morals are down the drain doesn't mean everyone has to let theirs go down there too.

Oh, and those signs in the post above are stupid, though at the same time God would have every reason to hate America for the utter bile that flows through this country (and every country in the world to be quite frank).
Doesn't it seem like a rather dick move for G-d to create people who are attracted only to the same sex, then damn them for having consensual sex with those people?

I mean, I can see it at the time of Leviticus, but we've multiplied to the point of straining our planet. What's the harm of a relatively few people becoming less fruitful to become more, um, fruitful if it makes them happy and hurts no one else? If that offends G-d, I'm sure He can tell them Himself - as I daresay He can tell us all how we offended Him, if he so wishes.

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Doesn't it seem like a rather dick move for G-d to create people who are attracted only to the same sex, then damn them for having consensual sex with those people?

I mean, I can see it at the time of Leviticus, but we've multiplied to the point of straining our planet. What's the harm of a relatively few people becoming less fruitful to become more, um, fruitful if it makes them happy and hurts no one else? If that offends G-d, I'm sure He can tell them Himself - as I daresay He can tell us all how we offended Him, if he so wishes.

If I were gay and God wanted to judge me for it the first question I would ask is "Why did you make me this way?"

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000

You know what I think is immoral? Forcing your religion down the throats of others. In fact - it's antithetical to the values written in our constitution.

Nobody cares that you opposed gay marriage. NOBODY. Feel free to believe whatever you want. You know damned well the issue here is forcing your agenda on a group of people who just want to live their lives freely.

Nothing will change in your life if gay marriage is legalized, NOTHING.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
As for Chick-fil-a's ideals, besides them being closed on Sundays, I didn't know anything about their gay hating until people started digging it up in news stories and making and going apeshit. By that point, I'd been eating at Chick-fil-a for 20+ years.

Not sure what a "pray the gay away" prayer goes for these days, but I am guessing the proceeds from your 20+ years of faithful business has saved quite a few. :p

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
LOL This, exactly.

I disagree with their stance on gay marriage, but then my bike insurance is with Progressive, a great company with whose ownership I also disagree on many issues. When exactly did we start insisting on total political agreement?

I suppose it's the difference between disagreeing on personal beliefs and having to deal with personal beliefs in non-political situations. A coworker who believes something differently than you do is someone you can work with...a coworker who makes work a forum for his personal views, regardless of who agrees with him or not, is going to widely be considered an asshole who's hard to work with.

To put it another way, my relationship with McDonald's is entirely about getting fast food when I'm in a rush. I'm sure the people behind the company have political beliefs, but I don't know what they are, nor do their beliefs seem to be a major part of their business. It doesn't matter whether I agree with them or not, because it's not a factor in doing business with them. On the other hand, it's pretty hard to get away from Chick-fil-a being synonymous with aggressively conservative Christian viewpoints, to the point where they proudly give considerable financial support to causes I strongly disagree with.

It's an image thing more than anything else. For better or worse, I'd rather not feel like buying a chicken sandwich comes with a free side of gay bashing...

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Hmmm... no Chick-fil-A here so it doesn't affect me at all.

On a side note I love going to Texas and telling them that Whataburger sucks and going to the south and pronouncing it "Chick-file-uh", since "fil-A" is just an asinine way to say "fillet".

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Those organizations that Chick Fil A donates to don't seem to be anti-gay. They're just Christian. Christianity forbids MSM (but not WSW).

So are we now supposed to boycott every Christian organization for following their religion?

What about Muslims? Jews?

I have no problem doing business with an organization that is Christian, or Muslim, or Jewish. The issue is when the organization makes it very clear that supporting them is supporting their campaign to push their beliefs, particularly if I don't happen to share them.

I regularly get food from a couple of Middle Eastern restaurants near my house. The owners are definitely Muslim (both places serve halal food, for example), which doesn't bother me at all. But if I found out the owners were giving financial support to organizations advocating Sharia law in the US, and were totally blatant about their business supporting such efforts, I'd probably have second thoughts about eating there.

Believing different things is part of what makes this country great. But many people would do well to stop and remember that we live in a close-knit society with a lot of people who DON'T necessarily agree with what you believe, so it's probably a good idea to not be a giant asshole about your beliefs in public.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Reading this thread has solidified one opinion in my mind: I could really go for a chicken sandwich, some honey mustard dipping sauce, and a delicious milkshake right now.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
I find it shocking how many religious people are totally uneducated on the matter of marriage. Most of them believe that marriage was ordained by God and has been a part of the Christian faith since it's early days, but the modern version of marriage was not actually a part of the church until the Roman Catholic church in the 12th-13th centuries. Feel free to read on:

The Roman Catholic tradition of the twelfth and thirteenth centuries defined marriage as a sacrament ordained by God,[68] signifying the mystical marriage of Christ to his Church.[108]

"The matrimonial covenant, by which a man and a woman establish between themselves a partnership of the whole of life, is by its nature ordered toward the good of the spouses and the procreation and education of offspring; this covenant between baptized persons has been raised by Christ the Lord to the dignity of a sacrament."[109

*Taken from the wiki article on marriage, and I have also read/seen this in other places

That said, this certainly does not help Chik-Fil-A's reputation in my eyes.

Ktulu

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2000
I find it shocking how many religious people are totally uneducated on the matter of marriage. Most of them believe that marriage was ordained by God and has been a part of the Christian faith since it's early days, but the modern version of marriage was not actually a part of the church until the Roman Catholic church in the 12th-13th centuries. Feel free to read on:

The Roman Catholic tradition of the twelfth and thirteenth centuries defined marriage as a sacrament ordained by God,[68] signifying the mystical marriage of Christ to his Church.[108]

"The matrimonial covenant, by which a man and a woman establish between themselves a partnership of the whole of life, is by its nature ordered toward the good of the spouses and the procreation and education of offspring; this covenant between baptized persons has been raised by Christ the Lord to the dignity of a sacrament."[109

*Taken from the wiki article on marriage, and I have also read/seen this in other places

That said, this certainly does not help Chik-Fil-A's reputation in my eyes.

Sorry but no. You only need to look at the writings of the early Christians to see that marriage was always seen as a sacred union. What the Catholic Church did was simply provide a formal definition of what marriage is. Feel free to read on:

"Flee wicked arts; but all the more discourse regarding them. Speak to my sisters, that they love in our Lord, and that their husbands be sufficient for them in the flesh and spirit. Then, again, charge my brethren in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that they love their wives, as our Lord His Church. If any man is able in power to continue in purity, to the honour of the flesh of our Lord, let him continue so without boasting; if he boasts, he is undone; if he become known apart from the bishop, he has destroyed himself. It is becoming, therefore, to men and women who marry, that they marry with the counsel of the bishop, that the marriage may be in our Lord, and not in lust. Let everything, therefore, be done for the honour of God." - Ignatius of Antioch, To Polycarp, 5 (A.D. 110).

"'What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.' See a teacher's wisdom. I mean, that being asked, Is it lawful? He did not at once say, It is not lawful, lest they should be disturbed and put in disorder, but before the decision by His argument He rendered this manifest, showing that it is itself too the commandment of His Father, and that not in opposition to Moses did He enjoin these things, but in full agreement with him. But mark Him arguing strongly not from the creation only, but also from His command. For He said not, that He made one man and one woman only, but that He also gave this command that the one man should be joined to the one woman. But if it had been His will that he should put this one away, and bring in another, when He had made one man, He would have formed many Women. But now both by the manner of the creation, and by the manner of lawgiving, He showed that one man must dwell with one woman continually, and never break off from her." - John Chrysostom, On Matthew 62:1 (A.D. 370).

"There is hardly anything more deadly than being married to one who is a stranger to the faith,where the passions of lust and dissension and the evils of sacrilege are inflamed. Since the marriage ceremony ought to be sanctified by the priestly veiling and blessing, how can that be called a marriage ceremony where there is no agreement in faith?" - Ambrose, To Vigilius, Letter 19:7 (A.D. 385).

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Sorry but no. You only need to look at the writings of the early Christians to see that marriage was always seen as a sacred union.

Right but the definition of it as one man and one woman in monogamy for the rest of their lives is a more modern concept, as I said and you so dutifily ignored.

Ktulu

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2000
Right but the definition of it as one man and one woman in monogamy for the rest of their lives is a more modern concept, as I said and you so dutifily ignored.

Oh believe me, I didn't ignore anything you wrote. I'm just simply pointing out that it is incorrect. I doubt you read anything that i put in my post.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Modern marriage in the form the govt recognizes is a social construct. What the govt recognizes has nothing to do with religion.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Oh believe me, I didn't ignore anything you wrote. I'm just simply pointing out that it is incorrect. I doubt you read anything that i put in my post.

Why wouldn't I read it? That seems rather presumptive on your part. I just simply made a point that the modern definition of marraige was not created until the 12th-13th century and before that it was common for wealthier & powerful men to "marry" multiple women, so for anyone to take the stance that the church has always been all about monogamy is uninformed.

Are you religious?

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007

PhoenixEnigma

Aug 6, 2011
Christ didn't say anything about same sex marriage. But the Old Testament is crystal clear. A man who has sex with another man must be put to death. It says nothing about lesbians.

Why is everyone suddenly pretending the Bible doesn't say that, and being shocked when Christians follow their religion?
Oh, FFS, have you actually read Leviticus? It says we should kill adulterers, mediums (the spiritual sort, to be clear), and those that curse their parents in the same chapter. I don't see anyone calling for John Edward's head.

People are just squicked by gay sex, get over yourselves.

For added bonus (troll) points, take a look at 19:33-34 and apply it to illegal immigration!

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Oh, FFS, have you actually read Leviticus? It says we should kill adulterers, mediums (the spiritual sort, to be clear), and those that curse their parents in the same chapter. I don't see anyone calling for John Edward's head.

People are just squicked by gay sex, get over yourselves.

For added bonus (troll) points, take a look at 19:33-34 and apply it to illegal immigration!

Once again proving that following a bunch of fairy tales written and editted by masogynists is bad form.