Chick Fill Aye on same sex marry age

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
It's more than just their ideas, they openly donate large amounts of $ to organizations that go out of their way to hate on gay people. Something like 20% of the revenues of every location is donated to said Christian charities. So by eating there you're absolutely supporting them and helping with their finical support of the charities.

Among the many groups to receive donations through Chick-fil-A's WinShape Foundation, which was created by Chick-fil-A founder and chairman S. Truett Cathy in 1984, were the Marriage & Family Foundation ($1,188,380), Exodus International ($1,000) and the Family Research Council (also $1,000), Equality Matters reported.

Meanwhile, The New Civil Rights Movement's David Badash presents an even more disturbing figure: that Chick-fil-A has donated an estimated $5 million to anti-gay organizations and hate groups between 2003 and 2010.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/02/chick-fil-a-anti-gay-group-donations-_n_1644609.html

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
If we boycotted every business that contributed to causes that we didn't agree with, we wouldn't be able to eat anywhere or buy anything.

If a private business has strong ideals that it believes in, that's its right. I don't have to agree with it, but they have every right to do so.

The way I see it there are so many places to eat around here, why would I bother going to a place where I vehemently disagree with their beliefs? There are delicious sandwiches all over the place, so I see absolutely no need to compromise my ideals so overtly.

It's gotten to the point where I pretty much only eat at smaller, local eateries now and if they have ideals I disagree with, I have no idea because it is not thrown in my face and heck, it would not make much impact anyway since they are so small. My new neighbourhood makes this very easy too, it's pretty much all small, independently owned eateries, which is fine by me.

KT

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The way I see it there are so many places to eat around here, why would I bother going to a place where I vehemently disagree with their beliefs? There are delicious sandwiches all over the place, so I see absolutely no need to compromise my ideals so overtly.

It's gotten to the point where I pretty much only eat at smaller, local eateries now and if they have ideals I disagree with, I have no idea because it is not thrown in my face and heck, it would not make much impact anyway since they are so small. My new neighbourhood makes this very easy too, it's pretty much all small, independently owned eateries, which is fine by me.

KT

You know why, because I don't even think about their beliefs to tell you the truth. I don't care what you religion YOU practice. I don't care that my neighbor is an Iranian that practices Islam and has VERY different viewpoint from me on most every topic be it religious or otherwise (he actually once told me that school busses shouldn't have stop arms, as it would teach kids to look before crossing the road. He basically said that a few kids getting "taken" out would solve the problem on its own). Even with that, we're pretty damn good friends.

As for Chick-fil-a's ideals, besides them being closed on Sundays, I didn't know anything about their gay hating until people started digging it up in news stories and making and going apeshit. By that point, I'd been eating at Chick-fil-a for 20+ years.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Even though you may not agree with the statements, you should support their right to make their own decision.

Isn't part of American society the ability to have our own opinions?
How does not eating there constitute a restriction on their rights to make a decision?

The organization is free to express their beliefs, and make donations accordingly, and Platypus is free to disagree with them and call for a boycott to express his disagreement. No ones' rights are being trampled.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
this truly sucks. Nutter had publicly recanted his stance on homosexuality ~2 years ago when they first got blasted for this, and here he is again. Of course, I didn't outright believe him (people are allowed to be prejudiced bigots, but as long as one doesn't allow that to become the face of their business.....whatever).

But this is grating. simply grating....and I'm truly pissed. NOW I CAN'T EAT CHIK FIL-A....AGAIN!

:mad:

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Does it make me a bad person that I want to continue eating their food?

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
How does not eating there constitute a restriction on their rights to make a decision?

The organization is free to express their beliefs, and make donations accordingly, and Platypus is free to disagree with them and call for a boycott to express his disagreement. No ones' rights are being trampled.

Texashiker is a known idiot. Only idiots confuse criticism of assholes who have disgusting beliefs with suppression of the freedoms of religion and speech.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Does it make me a bad person that I want to continue eating their food?

I don't think so.

Hell, I buy Apple products despite their shittiness with Foxconn. It'd be interesting to see the companies behind all the products we buy and the shit they do all around the globe.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
@OP How could you go into that place and not know it was owned by a very religious owner. Who the hell else closes on Sundays these days?

You know what? I kinda like that they stand by their values, even though I may disagree with them.
:thumbsup:

I think their stance is retarded, but he's not imposing it on anyone (like turning gay people away from the stores) just speaking about it. Good for him and good for the people who mock his position.

bucwylde23

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2005
this truly sucks. Nutter had publicly recanted his stance on homosexuality ~2 years ago when they first got blasted for this, and here he is again. Of course, I didn't outright believe him (people are allowed to be prejudiced bigots, but as long as one doesn't allow that to become the face of their business.....whatever).

But this is grating. simply grating....and I'm truly pissed. NOW I CAN'T EAT CHIK FIL-A....AGAIN!

Don't worry I'll eat double to cover both of us. Love chik fil a.

Feb 6, 2007
There's not a single Chick-Fil-A in my state, so thankfully I won't need to try very hard to not support them. You'd think the owner wouldn't want to purposefully seek negative publicity, but whatever.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
@OP How could you go into that place and not know it was owned by a very religious owner. Who the hell else closes on Sundays these days?

:thumbsup:

I think their stance is retarded, but he's not imposing it on anyone (like turning gay people away from the stores) just speaking about it. Good for him and good for the people who mock his position.

well, when you openly support (and financially) these various so-called "family-focused" organizations that outright force their bronze age retardation on the modern world, you absolutely are imposing your hate on others. These are, officially, Chik Fil-A entities, iirc.

Fuck this clown.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
Some of us have personal standards to uphold. I can't actively give money to an organization that funds 'pray the gay away' camps for kids and is actively working against allowing my personal freedom as an American citizen. You say you love and respect gay people, yet you're directly contributing to a cause that is working against them. Sounds like love to me.

They obviously have standards too and kudos to them to sticking by them.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
well, when you openly support (and financially) these various so-called "family-focused" organizations that outright force their bronze age retardation on the modern world, you absolutely are imposing your hate on others. These are, officially, Chik Fil-A entities, iirc.

Fuck this clown.
The guys spoke about it, I could give two shits about that. I believe in free speech, even if it's offensive.

That's a far cry from supporting groups who are pushing their agenda via other methods. Don't lump me in with mouth breathing morons who think the earth is 1000 years old or whatever and try to get this (or other) shit into textbooks.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
While private, its obvious the rest of the Chick Fil A board wasn't to happy with the COO/President making these comments. They may agree with them but they certainly did not want this issue rearing its ugly head again. They have since issued a statement.

Last edited:

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Despite the small amount of money they waste on the gay marriage thing, there is no gay in the US that can't find a religious institution to "marry" them so who the fuck cares? Gays get to have their cake and eat it too by being allowed to get married and only get all the benefits of it without all the negative associated with it...yet they insist on getting a huge dildo shoved up their ass by wanting government to recognize it. Oh wait, I guess it makes sense.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
Sometimes standards are wrong. There's no need to give someone "kudos" for exercising their freedom to be a bigot.

Indeed, I think this fucker is way wrong, but at the same time I know exactly where chic fil a stands on this issue. I've always known where they stood on this issue. This will stand out in my mind as an instance where a big, well known brand did something that came from their personal conviction rather than in the interest of earning a dollar. I don't really even like chic fil a, and haven't eaten there in the past decade, but I still see this and think "Wow these people care about something even more than their bottom line". I can't help but respect that.

Oh and fuck fundie nut bags and their interest in what other people do while naked. They're just as bad as the people who think we are really doing good by paying people to not work.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Despite the small amount of money they waste on the gay marriage thing, there is no gay in the US that can't find a religious institution to "marry" them so who the fuck cares? Gays get to have their cake and eat it too by being allowed to get married and only get all the benefits of it without all the negative associated with it...yet they insist on getting a huge dildo shoved up their ass by wanting government to recognize it. Oh wait, I guess it makes sense.

What? Thats bullshit.

They don't get all the benefits. They really don't get any.

In the majority of states, they aren't considered family members by hospitals due to state laws, they aren't considered spouses under probate codes, they don't get benefits from their spouses employer(like health insurance), they don't get their spouses SS Survivor Benefits, etc etc.

You have no clue what you are talking about.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The guys spoke about it, I could give two shits about that. I believe in free speech, even if it's offensive.

That's a far cry from supporting groups who are pushing their agenda via other methods. Don't lump me in with mouth breathing morons who think the earth is 1000 years old or whatever and try to get this (or other) shit into textbooks.

uh, that's the point. He actually funnels profits into these organizations.

that isn't support?

o_O

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001

Use coupons (calender coupon, free sandwich coupon for filling out survey, etc) that way you get to eat Chik Fil-A and not support their causes.