Chicago bar denies entry to black college students

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dp...hers_accused_of_racism

Chicago - A well-known bar in Chicago's Gold Coast is being accused of racism.

Some college students from St. Louis say they were barred from going in and they're not buying the reason they got.

This is about a senior trip for nearly 200 students from Washington University in St. Louis.

Trip organizers are angry at the treatment they got at Mother?s on Division.

Six African-American men in the group were denied entry to the bar last weekend.

Student Regis Nurayi says the bar's manager told them their jeans were too baggy.

But Murayi didn't buy it.

So he switched jeans with a shorter, white student.

The white student, who now had very baggy jeans, was let in, and Murayi was still kept out.

The students held a protest in front of Mother's last Sunday, and there's a meeting about this issue in St. Louis on Monday.

The students are considering a lawsuit.

Details are a bit vague. Nonetheless, I guess racism exists in places you least expect it. Chicago? Say it ain't so.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
"You old, she pregnant. Can't have a bunch of old pregnant bitches running around. That's crazy, I'm only allowed to let in five percent black people. He said that, that means if there's 25 people here I get to let in one and a quarter black people. So I gotta hope there's a black midget in the crowd. "

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Atreus21

Details are a bit vague. Nonetheless, I guess racism exists in places you least expect it. Chicago? Say it ain't so.

Why would you think it doesnt exist in Chicago? I cant think of anywhere on Earth that it doesnt exist....

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
IMO, a bar is private property, and the owner should be able to choose who is and isn't allowed on his property. I choose who and who isn't allowed in my home.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: bamacre
IMO, a bar is private property, and the owner should be able to choose who is and isn't allowed on his property. I choose who and who isn't allowed in my home.
Eh? Its not exactly the same thing.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: her209
Eh? Its not exactly the same thing.

How is it not?

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: OCguy

Why would you think it doesnt exist in Chicago? I cant think of anywhere on Earth that it doesnt exist....

Well, to hear the more left-leaning among our fellow posters talk, one would think that the South is populated entirely by baby-eating klansmen.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The bars on Division mostly suck anyway. All they do is draw in the idiot tourists who don't know any better.

Athena

Golden Member
Apr 9, 2001
You are entitled to your opinion of course but this was a public bar...and therefore subject to public accomodation laws.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Athena
You are entitled to your opinion of course but this was a public bar...and therefore subject to public accomodation laws.

It's a public bar? :confused:

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: K1052
The bars on Division mostly suck anyway. All they do is draw in the idiot tourists who don't know any better.

I bet the college bunch didn't look anything like the tourist crowd they want in the club and felt they wouldn't drop as much money as the tourists.

Will this bite them, we'll see.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

I bet the college bunch didn't look anything like the tourist crowd they want in the club and felt they wouldn't drop as much money as the tourists.

No, there have been incidents like this in the past at other Chicago bars. Nothing ends up happening.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007

I seem to remember seeing old black and white pictures of black men (and women) walking into segregated diners and demanding to be served. I have this strange feeling that it's a significant part of our nation's history.

Agreed, now let's turn on Fox News and be instructed on what to be outraged about again.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007

Well, to hear the more left-leaning among our fellow posters talk, one would think that the South is populated entirely by baby-eating klansmen.

You could have just stated from the very beginning that you were looking to make a straw-man argument. I suspected that's what was going on, but thanks for confirming.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Blackjack200

You could have just stated from the very beginning that you were looking to make a straw-man argument. I suspected that's what was going on, but thanks for confirming.

Perhaps I harbored an ulterior motive, yes, but it's hardly a straw-man argument around here.

Sometime, go look up the thread on the Louisiana judge who refused to marry an interracial couple.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004

I seem to remember seeing old black and white pictures of black men (and women) walking into segregated diners and demanding to be served. I have this strange feeling that it's a significant part of our nation's history. Oh wait, enough thinking, I need to turn on Fox News and be instructed on what to be outraged about again.

Your implying that I watch Fox News is preposterous. Never would I regularly watch such garbage. And what does FoxNews have to do with this discussion? How is it relevant?

But your other implication that I am the one outraged is even more out of line. How am I the one outraged? We are confronted with a news story about a guy who is not allowing certain people on his private property. Me: Ok, not really news. Others: OMGWTF wrong! It doesn't appear that I am the one outraged. So why the implication that I am outraged?

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Dont know what kind of bar it is. I dont think I will defend this kind of thing either. I dont drink, so I do not go to bars for the most part. However some taverns do sell some good eats and there is nothing wrong with a dual use restraunt/bar. Some establishments get around the laws by organizing their business as a private club. Places in Kansas use to do this to get around the Blue Laws.

Many bars serve selectively to certain kinds of clientel. Either that or them make the "Wrong kind of People" feel unfriendly appreciated or unwelcome. This is how people in East Saint Louis, MO often treat White people. Some cities are still separated along racial and ethnic grooups. Do you really want to go to a bar where you are made to feel unwelcome? Probably plenty of night clubs in Chicago where they will take your money no matter what color you are. This would probably not happen in their hometown, because they would go out with their friends. Some older and larger cities still have problems with Race in certain communities.

I dont agree with this kind of behavior.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

No, there have been incidents like this in the past at other Chicago bars. Nothing ends up happening.

Of course not, Tourism takes priority.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007

I seem to remember seeing old black and white pictures of black men (and women) walking into segregated diners and demanding to be served. I have this strange feeling that it's a significant part of our nation's history. Oh wait, enough thinking, I need to turn on Fox News and be instructed on what to be outraged about again.

Your implying that I watch Fox News is preposterous. Never would I regularly watch such garbage. And what does FoxNews have to do with this discussion? How is it relevant?

But your other implication that I am the one outraged is even more out of line. How am I the one outraged? We are confronted with a news story about a guy who is not allowing certain people on his private property. Me: Ok, not really news. Others: OMGWTF wrong! It doesn't appear that I am the one outraged. So why the implication that I am outraged?

lol, sorry, the last line was not directed at you. I'll edit the post to make it more clear.

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
I seem to remember seeing old black and white pictures of black men (and women) walking into segregated diners and demanding to be served. I have this strange feeling that it's a significant part of our nation's history.

Agreed, now let's turn on Fox News and be instructed on what to be outraged about again.

What about us with no shirts and no shoes? I am sick of these "No shirts, no shoes, no service" signs. I demand to be served!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

your an idiot dude......a bar is not even close to private property.......just like Kmart cannot be considered private property....duh....

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
What about us with no shirts and no shoes? I am sick of these "No shirts, no shoes, no service" signs. I demand to be served!

so why don't you go bottomless, they don't seem to prohibit that as log as you have a shirt and shoes on.

cliftonite

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2001

Do bars not need a license? I'm sure the city would be willing to give the license to an establishment that doesn't cater to just one race.

Dec 10, 2005
LOL, my brother tells me there is a douchey bar in philly that pulls the same shit. It has dress rules that effectively try to ban black people - no visible jewelry, no baseball hats (or at least they have to be on straight), no large white t-shirts, no baggy jeans, etc....