"CEO To Workers: I May Fire You If Obama Wins"

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I think it would be tactless and unprofessional.

Yes, it likely is hyperbole. However, despite having no way of knowing how the employees vote he is making it clear their jobs are at risk if Obama wins. That's not a form of direct intimidation like the Black Panthers that stood outside a polling station holding billy clubs in Philly back in 2008, but I'd qualify it as indirect intimidation. I'd find this letter synonymous with a school bully telling the student body he will increase his bullying if Student X is voted class president. He's not targeting anyone individually and has no way of knowing how any of the students voted, but the threat of action is there if the student he dislikes is elected.

There shouldn't be a law in place to stop employers from sending out letters like this but I think employees need to have the guts to speak up and/or vote with their feet when an employers pulls something like this.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Same goes for unions too in similar circumstances. For clarification, I'm not anti-union, although I've seen some things happen in and around union meetings, polling places for union elections and in some bulletins posted at union halls where I had to mention how a possible violation of union rules or gov't laws were taking place and needed to be corrected....and were.

Compared to above it would be like a CEO of another company threatening to fire you. Remember the district BPs were standing was 90+% Democratic. Obama was already going to get that one.

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
how is this that different from what Koch brothers are doing?

Koch Brothers Send Pro-Romney Mailing To 50,000 Employees

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/14/koch-romney-brothers-mitt_n_1965366.html

If we elect candidates who want to spend hundreds of billions in borrowed money on costly new subsidies for a few favored cronies, put unprecedented regulatory burdens on businesses, prevent or delay important new construction projects and excessively hinder free trade, then many of our more than 50,000 U.S. employees and contractors may suffer the consequences. ... It is essential that we are all informed and educated voters. Our future depends on it.

Last edited:

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Not seeing anything wrong with that either. Simply trying to make sure workers are informed and understand what another 4 years of misery under obama really mean to their livlihood.

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
How is the employer going to know who the individual employee voted for anyway? They'll never know.

Apr 27, 2012
Not seeing anything wrong with that either. Simply trying to make sure workers are informed and understand what another 4 years of misery under obama really mean to their livlihood.

I know, there just trying to warn about the consequences if obama wins. Nothing wrong with that

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Haha you guys would be singing a different tune entirely if it was a Union letter about the dangers of voting for Rmoney.

That happens all the time already, every election the unions put their full support behind the democratic candidate, cajoling their members to vote for him, predicting doom and gloom if the better alternative is elected.

The difference is, the unions use membership money to push one candidate.

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
Haha you guys would be singing a different tune entirely if it was a Union letter about the dangers of voting for Rmoney.

dangers? you mean having the economy flourish and more jobs available and more jobs. maybe (potentially) passing laws like in CA to restrict unions from taking additoinal monies out of your check to pay for political contributions? horrible!

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
That happens all the time already, every election the unions put their full support behind the democratic candidate, cajoling their members to vote for him, predicting doom and gloom if the better alternative is elected.

The difference is, the unions use membership money to push one candidate.
This is true.

The only major problem I have with the letter is the tone. Were I one of his employees, I'd wonder if he might not lay off a bunch of people just out of spite if his taxes go up even to Clinton-era rates. I'd be looking closely at what is available.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
dangers? you mean having the economy flourish and more jobs available and more jobs. maybe (potentially) passing laws like in CA to restrict unions from taking additoinal monies out of your check to pay for political contributions? horrible!
There are already plenty of jobs in china, which is the only place romney would send them. What in the hell makes you think his plan is going to magically make the economy better?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
There are already plenty of jobs in china, which is the only place romney would send them. What in the hell makes you think his plan is going to magically make the economy better?

You can see how here. Common sense and stop Obama assault on Jobs and our economy. The number 1 thing to get our country on track is getting rid of Obama, plain and simple.

http://www.mittromney.com/jobs

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
As opposed to Mittens assault on the 47%'s quality of life and education?

Quick! Divert to FACT that 47% don't pay federal income taxes!

You see, I personally don't care about those people. My money/labor/life is not to be used for the 47% quality of life and education. This is the tipping point of our nation as predicted.

See you in November.

Romney gonna kill big bird and ours sells phones! Keep Obama im president!

Yeah, fuck anybody that votes for this fuckstain. See you in November.

Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
You can see how here. Common sense and stop Obama assault on Jobs and our economy. The number 1 thing to get our country on track is getting rid of Obama, plain and simple.

You keep saying this but the facts are against you. In what way has Obama hurt the economy? I'm asking for specifics but I know you will ignore that but it's worth a shot.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
You keep saying this but the facts are against you. In what way has Obama hurt the economy? I'm asking for specifics but I know you will ignore that but it's worth a shot.

War on Coal
War on energy - "under my plan energy prices would necessarily skyrocket" What has happened under fuckstains "rule"?

Fuckstain said this is what he would do, why is anybody surprised at his destrcution? Obamaphones for evr'body! Obama be represent'n!

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Quick! Divert to FACT that 47% don't pay federal income taxes!

You see, I personally don't care about those people. My money/labor/life is not to be used for the 47% quality of life and education. This is the tipping point of our nation as predicted.

See you in November.

Romney gonna kill big bird and ours sells phones! Keep Obama im president!

Yeah, fuck anybody that votes for this fuckstain. See you in November.

Apparently, the man you want to be president doesn't care about those people either. There's a mandate for the Presidency. o_O Too bad we live in a democracy where the poor have as much to say about our country as the wealthy. Well, except for special interest groups, super pacs and, our corporate overlords. To be fair, you seem to want Obama out more than you want Romney in. Of course, who cares about being fair? See you in November o sweet talking one.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
War on Coal
War on energy - "under my plan energy prices would necessarily skyrocket" What has happened under fuckstains "rule"?

Fuckstain said this is what he would do, why is anybody surprised at his destrcution? Obamaphones for evr'body! Obama be represent'n!

Coal production is up and whether you think that's Obamas doing or not it sure as shit doesn't mean he's fighting any war against coal!
http://www.cooperativefinancecorporation.org/u-s-coal-production-up-for-second-year/

Oil production/exports are also at high levels:
http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2012/10/03/us-domestic-oil-production-hits-16-year-high/

Don't let the facts get in your way though.

I'm curious though, if Obama is doing everything you think need to be done to lower energy prices what more do you think the president can do?

It appears by your ONE, incorrect, example (unless you can show me what else Obama has done to destroy the economy) you've got two things to prove your point;

JACK SHIT!!

ModerateRepZero

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2006
how is this that different from what Koch brothers are doing?

Koch Brothers Send Pro-Romney Mailing To 50,000 Employees

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/14/koch-romney-brothers-mitt_n_1965366.html

I think both instances are unethical; the Koch brothers more so, because they weren't just expressing their opinion, but they also provided editorials and also provided a list of favored candidates to vote for. Hardly impartial behavior and not really "informing" so much as pushing propaganda.

There's no explicit request to vote for a candidate, or a stated threat...but only someone who's naive or clueless would say that there's no pressure or favoring a candidate.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007

Your link proves my point: his ideas are basically to repeal everything that obama has done. That's not a solution.

Taxes: He wants to cut taxes to the rich. No shit, we've seen that before. TRICKLE DOWN DOESN'T WORK! Money doesn't trickle down from the job creators, it flows up from the lower and middle class. The rich hoard the money in offshore bank accounts and don't recycle it into the economy. Ergo, it doesn't lead to job creation to give them tax breaks (which we've already seen). Job creation is spurred when the lower and middle class have more money, because they ACTUALLY BUY SHIT WITH IT, which creates DEMAND. Demand creates jobs, period. Corporations have an assload of cash right now and record profits, but they don't create any more jobs because they're meeting their demand, and don't need to increase their capacity. So what can he do that will actually work? On top of that, he's said himself in various interviews he wants to INCREASE defense spending, and he won't touch medicare or social security. How will that affect the deficit? He wants to cut taxes, and keep the spending rates the same...does that sound good? Most economists are convinced we need to decrease spending AND increase taxes. Romney (and republicans) will have none of it.

Regulation: Again, more repeal. He just wants to cut cut cut...what about wall street? We need a SHIT TON more regulation there than we have. All the bullshit that caused the recession hasn't even been addressed....I'm pissed Obama hasn't done anything, but for damn sure Romney won't. I'll admit some of the EPA stuff might be excessive, but the fact is, no one really knows. I much prefer the proactive approach to the "cross your fingers and pray" approach.

Trade: His plan is exactly what I wanted to hear, if only I could believe it, since he's made a career out of selling off business and sending it to china. He's the actual player who's done all the shit he's railing Obama for. He sure as shit didn't mind getting rich off it.

Labor: He essentially wants to bust unions. That will be great for corporations, not for labor. And see above on trade.

Human Capital: Complete bullshit. He wants to raise visa quotas so we can have MORE chinese and indians to come over here and work, or to go to school here and then go home. We have plenty of scientists here, the "science gap" is propoganda. American scientists are still the best and the brightest, and we have plenty. I have a Ph. D. in chemistry from a top 20 institution and post-doc'd at a top 10 institution, I sure as hell can't find a job. Most of my friends can't either. The labor market in a lot of sciences is complete shit.

Spending: How you going to fix this? The elderly will get fucked left right and center from any cuts to medicare and social security (and no politician will rape the most reliable voting block), and he rails against defense cuts. I'm on the fence about defense: we need the jobs, they represent some of the best science/engineering and manufacturing jobs we have, but who are we fighting? People in the desert with huts and AK's. Do we need $2 billion fighters for those people? Or do we keep developing them so that China doesn't decide to just usurp power wherever it likes?

So all of his platforms are either complete bullshit or wishful thinking...what did I miss?

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Your link proves my point: his ideas are basically to repeal everything that obama has done. That's not a solution.

Taxes: He wants to cut taxes to the rich. No shit, we've seen that before. TRICKLE DOWN DOESN'T WORK! Money doesn't trickle down from the job creators, it flows up from the lower and middle class. The rich hoard the money in offshore bank accounts and don't recycle it into the economy. Ergo, it doesn't lead to job creation to give them tax breaks (which we've already seen). Job creation is spurred when the lower and middle class have more money, because they ACTUALLY BUY SHIT WITH IT, which creates DEMAND. Demand creates jobs, period. Corporations have an assload of cash right now and record profits, but they don't create any more jobs because they're meeting their demand, and don't need to increase their capacity. So what can he do that will actually work? On top of that, he's said himself in various interviews he wants to INCREASE defense spending, and he won't touch medicare or social security. How will that affect the deficit? He wants to cut taxes, and keep the spending rates the same...does that sound good? Most economists are convinced we need to decrease spending AND increase taxes. Romney (and republicans) will have none of it.

Regulation: Again, more repeal. He just wants to cut cut cut...what about wall street? We need a SHIT TON more regulation there than we have. All the bullshit that caused the recession hasn't even been addressed....I'm pissed Obama hasn't done anything, but for damn sure Romney won't. I'll admit some of the EPA stuff might be excessive, but the fact is, no one really knows. I much prefer the proactive approach to the "cross your fingers and pray" approach.

Trade: His plan is exactly what I wanted to hear, if only I could believe it, since he's made a career out of selling off business and sending it to china. He's the actual player who's done all the shit he's railing Obama for. He sure as shit didn't mind getting rich off it.

Labor: He essentially wants to bust unions. That will be great for corporations, not for labor. And see above on trade.

Human Capital: Complete bullshit. He wants to raise visa quotas so we can have MORE chinese and indians to come over here and work, or to go to school here and then go home. We have plenty of scientists here, the "science gap" is propoganda. American scientists are still the best and the brightest, and we have plenty. I have a Ph. D. in chemistry from a top 20 institution and post-doc'd at a top 10 institution, I sure as hell can't find a job. Most of my friends can't either. The labor market in a lot of sciences is complete shit.

Spending: How you going to fix this? The elderly will get fucked left right and center from any cuts to medicare and social security (and no politician will rape the most reliable voting block), and he rails against defense cuts. I'm on the fence about defense: we need the jobs, they represent some of the best science/engineering and manufacturing jobs we have, but who are we fighting? People in the desert with huts and AK's. Do we need $2 billion fighters for those people? Or do we keep developing them so that China doesn't decide to just usurp power wherever it likes?

So all of his platforms are either complete bullshit or wishful thinking...what did I miss?
Both sides believe in trickle down economics; the Democrats just want to take the money from those who earned it, concentrate it in government, and let it trickle down from there.

And spreading fears that Romney will cut Medicare in defense of the President who cut $700,000,000,000 from Medicare is - amusing.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
Yes rather than every single one of us demanding an end to Lobby and getting rid of the corrupting influence of money in our government.

Lets all bicker about macro policies that will be very similar regardless of who is elected.