CBS:Mark Whalberg Victim Says He Should Not Be Pardoned

TreVader

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2013
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/mark-wahlberg-victim-says-he-shouldnt-be-pardoned/

I gotta say, I agree! Just because he has money now does not mean he should somehow be allowed a pardon. Money should not buy you some kind of special "erase my criminal record" free card. It's bullshit that they are even considering this, although I 100% think Obama will deny it.

He was a racist asshole. Now he's rich, but does that make up for his crimes? If Mark was a regular jackoff without millions, would he be considered for such a Pardon? It's bullshit. Why does he need a pardon anyway? He's not in fucking prison and he's filthy rich, now he just wants more money and his voting rights back.

Fuck him!

Mark Whalberg victim says he should not be pardoned;

A victim of one of Mark Wahlberg's racially motivated attacks as a teenage delinquent in segregated Boston in the 1980s insists he shouldn't be granted a pardon for his crimes.

Kristyn Atwood was among a group of mostly black fourth-grade students on a field trip to the beach in 1986 when Wahlberg and his white friends began hurling rocks and shouting racial epithets as they chased them down the street."I don't think he should get a pardon," Atwood, now 38 and living in Decatur, Georgia, said in an interview with The Associated Press.

"I don't really care who he is. It doesn't make him any exception. If you're a racist, you're always going to be a racist. And for him to want to erase it I just think it's wrong," she said.

Mary Belmonte, the white teacher who brought the students to the neighborhood beach that day, sees things differently. "I believe in forgiveness," she said. "He was just a young kid - a punk - in the mean streets of Boston. He didn't do it specifically because he was a bad kid. He was just a follower doing what the other kids were doing."

The 43-year-old former rapper, Calvin Klein model and "Boogie Nights" actor wants official forgiveness for a separate, more severe attack in 1988, in which he assaulted two Vietnamese men while trying to steal beer. That attack sent one of the men to the hospital and landed Wahlberg in prison.

Wahlberg, in a pardon application filed in November and pending before the state parole board, acknowledges he was a teenage delinquent mixed up in drugs, alcohol and the wrong crowd. He points to his ensuing successful acting career, restaurant ventures and philanthropic work with inner city youths as evidence he's turned his life around.

"I have apologized, many times," he told the AP in December. "The first opportunity I had to apologize was right there in court when all the dust had settled and I was getting shackled and taken away, and making sure I paid my debt to society and continue to try and do things that make up for the mistakes that I've made."

Court documents in the 1986 attack identify Wahlberg among a group of white boys who harassed the school group as they were leaving Savin Hill Beach in Dorchester, a mixed but segregated Boston neighborhood that had seen racial tensions during the years the city was under court-ordered school integration.

The boys chased the black children down the street, repeatedly shouting "n-----" and hurling rocks until an ambulance driver intervened. Wahlberg was 15 at the time.

Atwood says she still bears a scar from getting hit by a rock. No one was seriously injured, but the attack left a lasting impression.

"I was really scared. My heart was beating fast. I couldn't believe it was happening. The names. The rocks. The kids chasing," Belmonte told the AP.

Wahlberg and two other white youths were issued a civil rights injunction: essentially a stern warning that if they committed another hate crime, they would be sent to jail.

In 1988, Wahlberg, then 16, attacked two Vietnamese men while trying to steal beer near his Dorchester home.

According to the sentencing memorandum, he confronted Thanh Lam, a Vietnamese man, as he was getting out of his car with two cases of beer. Wahlberg called Lam a "Vietnam f------ s---" and beat him over the head with a 5-foot wooden stick until Lam lost consciousness and the rod broke in two.

Documents say Wahlberg ran up to another Vietnamese man, Hoa Trinh, and asked for help hiding. After a police cruiser drove past, he punched Trinh in the eye. Later, he made crude remarks about Asians.

Wahlberg ultimately was convicted as an adult of two counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, marijuana possession and criminal contempt for violating the prior civil rights injunction. He was given a three-month prison sentence, of which he served about 45 days.

Trinh declined to be interviewed by AP, and efforts to locate Lam were unsuccessful.

Judith Beals, a former state prosecutor involved in the cases, said Wahlberg's crimes stand out because he violated the injunction with an even more violent attack on people of yet another race.

"It was a hate crime and that's exactly what should be on his record forever," Atwood said.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/mark-wahlberg-victim-says-he-shouldnt-be-pardoned/

I gotta say, I agree! Just because he has money now does not mean he should somehow be allowed a pardon. Money should not buy you some kind of special "erase my criminal record" free card. It's bullshit that they are even considering this, although I 100% think Obama will deny it.

He was a racist asshole. Now he's rich, but does that make up for his crimes? If Mark was a regular jackoff without millions, would he be considered for such a Pardon? It's bullshit. Why does he need a pardon anyway? He's not in fucking prison and he's filthy rich, now he just wants more money and his voting rights back.

Fuck him!

Lots of anger inside you. Life's too short to be angry all the time.

Who exactly are you angry with? Is it anger at Wahlberg for wanting a pardon so he can expand the businesses he runs? Are you suggesting if he were not rich then you would be sympathetic towards a pardon? How about if he were not white, would you be more sympathetic? Are you angry with him because he's white? Most people, rich or poor, white or non-white, want pardons for their past crimes. Why are you angry at him for wanting what many others also want?

Are you angry at him, or are you really angry at the judicial system for not punishing him as much as you think he should be punished?

Will fucking him make your life happier? :p Inquiring minds want to know :D

Last edited:

TreVader

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2013

Who exactly are you angry with? Is it anger at Wahlberg for wanting a pardon so he can expand the businesses he runs? Are you suggesting if he were not rich then you would be sympathetic towards a pardon? How about if he were not white, would you be more sympathetic? Are you angry with him because he's white? Most people, rich or poor, white or non-white, want pardons for their past crimes. Why are you angry at him for wanting what many others also want?

Are you angry at him, or are you really angry at the judicial system for not punishing him as much as you think he should be punished?

I don't think there should be two different justice systems for the rich and the poor. I also think he should ask forgiveness from the ACTAUL PEOPLE HE HURT and not the fucking government. What has he done for these people besides try to get them to see his movies? What has he done to make up for this, besides giving away some of his vast reserves of cash to totally unrelated philanthropic causes?

Fuck his business and fuck him, he committed HEINOUS REPEATED HATE CRIMES. He was given an injunction by a fucking judge and told "if you attack somebody for racist reasons again, you will be charged with a hate crime". What did this asshole do? He committed another hate crime.

If Mark Whalberg had been one of those black kids he threw rocks at, and acted like such a punk, he'd probably be in his grave right now or at best prison. Punk ass racists shouldn't get pardoned just because they want more $$.

Nov 25, 2013

"According to the sentencing memorandum, he confronted Thanh Lam, a Vietnamese man, as he was getting out of his car with two cases of beer. Wahlberg called Lam a "Vietnam f------ s---" and beat him over the head with a 5-foot wooden stick until Lam lost consciousness and the rod broke in two."

Seems like his penalty was/is appropriate including continuing to have a criminal record.

TreVader

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2013
"According to the sentencing memorandum, he confronted Thanh Lam, a Vietnamese man, as he was getting out of his car with two cases of beer. Wahlberg called Lam a "Vietnam f------ s---" and beat him over the head with a 5-foot wooden stick until Lam lost consciousness and the rod broke in two."

Seems like his penalty was/is appropriate including continuing to have a criminal record.

Little known fact: There were actually two vietnamese men he beat to a pulp. This one, and another that he punched in the face so many times the guy LOST AN EYE.

He won't even comment on the issue. He's blind in one eye, and so hurt he won't even talk about it. Seems like Mark has done so much to make up for that wrong huh?

He's a punk and deserved far worse than he got.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
"I don't really care who he is. It doesn't make him any exception. If you're a racist, you're always going to be a racist"

That pretty much says it all.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Little known fact: There were actually two vietnamese men he beat to a pulp. This one, and another that he punched in the face so many times the guy LOST AN EYE.

Tre, your facts are wrong.

Are you SURE they story about the guy losing an eye is accurate?

Before you say yes, google it, and look it up.

You also forgot to add that the guy you think lost an eye also said he thinks Walhberg should be pardoned.

Last edited:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
"I don't really care who he is. It doesn't make him any exception. If you're a racist, you're always going to be a racist"

That pretty much says it all.

Which is entirely false, and has been for a long time. Fuck, Mark Twain wrote a book about it...

If a person commits a crime, they should be sentenced to punishment. Once that punishment has been served, this is no reason to continue to punish a person for the rest of their life, especially for childhood mistakes. Wahlberg is in the tiny minority of people who are convicted of crimes and make something of themselves in spit of it. Does he need a pardon? No. Could this set a precedent that perhaps, after serving you "debt to society", you should be able to actually get a job and contribute? I certainly hope so.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011

He won't even comment on the issue. He's blind in one eye, and so hurt he won't even talk about it. Seems like Mark has done so much to make up for that wrong huh?

He's a punk and deserved far worse than he got.

You are wrong, the guy was already blind. He is come out and said Mark didn't blind him, and caused no permanent damage. That he was already blind.

The real victim of the attack for which he wants to be pardoned for, actually supports him getting pardoned.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
The simpler and more consistent way to approach this would be to reduce restrictions on what felons can do if they have stayed out of trouble for x years after prison. If you've served your time you should automatically have right to vote, run a business that serves the evil liquor, heck even the right to own a gun restored.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I think the least Whalberg can do is to throw a few million $$$ at each of his victims with the same ferocity he threw his hatred at them.

That should be good for starters.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004

He committed a crime. He was punished. He served his punishment. 25 years is sufficient time to suggest there is an extremely high probability he will not commit another violent crime.

If the story is true that he wants the pardon so he can expand his business, I'm sorry, I don't have the anger and hatred within me to say "fuck you" like other people do.

If he is pardoned, does that mean he is more likely to commit another crime? No.
If he is pardoned, does that mean if he commits another crime the judicial system will go easy on him? No.
If he is pardoned, does that mean other people are more likely to commit crimes knowing a pardon is possible after a quarter century of good behavior? No.
If he is pardoned, does that mean we are rewriting history in the name of racist white privilege? No.

If he is pardoned, will a lot of people who already believe the U.S. is a deeply racist country be angry? Yes.

I'm sorry, I cannot find any reason to be angry and hate the person who he is today. As to the last group of people, as you can see in my posts across this forum, they are not a priority to me ;)

Last edited:

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
He committed a crime. He was punished. He served his punishment. 25 years is sufficient time to suggest there is an extremely high probability he will not commit another violent crime.

If the story is true that he wants the pardon so he can expand his business, I'm sorry, I don't have the anger and hatred within me to say "fuck you" like other people do.

If he is pardoned, does that mean if he commits another crime the judicial system will go easy on him? No.
If he is pardoned, does that mean other people are more likely to commit crimes knowing a pardon is possible after a quarter century of good behavior? No.
If he is pardoned, does that mean we are rewriting history in the name of racist white privilege? No.

I'm sorry, I cannot find any reason to be angry and hate the person who he is today.

Honestly doesn't he represent what we hope will happen with people who get into trouble when young? He turned his life around. Time to move on.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Seriously, you guys are missing THE BIG FUCKING POINT in this whole situation:

You can either take this situation and:
(1) be pissed off angry that whitey got a light sentence by the judicial system and demand he be punished more...
*or*
(2) take this as an example of what can happen to someone who is treated not-so harshly by the judicial system, they can turn their life around and become a huge success... meaning this is a prime example of why blacks should not be treated so harshly by the system.

But no, everyone's shouting #1 #1 #1!!! ANGER ANGER HATRED HATRED!!! PUNISH HIM!!! :p Amazing what new perspectives open up when anger is dropped.

TreVader

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2013
Tre, your facts are wrong.

Are you SURE they story about the guy losing an eye is accurate?

Before you say yes, google it, and look it up.

You also forgot to add that the guy you think lost an eye also said he thinks Walhberg should be pardoned.

No I'm not sure. I read that the guy was blinded a few years ago, I guess he lied.

Still doesn't change the fact that Whalberg beat the hell out of multiple people based on the color of their skin and only served 45 days.

If Whalberg had been black and had been caught beating a man unconscious he would be put in jail for years. He already had a bunch of convictions.

Why doesn't he give a percentage of this burger business to his victims? He's done nothing at all for them!

I don't think felons should be punished for LIFE, however I do not think we should start making exemptions for the rich an famous before we discuss changing the law. We should change the laws so after a certain period felons can reintegrate assuming their crimes weren't terrible.

Why isn't Whalberg campaigning for all felons to get the same chance he is asking for? There are tens of thousands of convicted felons (half on BS drug charges that are way way more tame that what Whalberg did) currently living normal lives as marginalized members of society who will never get a break. Now Whalberg the millionaire wants to be special. He's so special! He deserves it, but those tens of thousands of drug felons don't?

Fuck that!

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Still doesn't change the fact that Whalberg beat the hell out of multiple people based on the color of their skin and only served 45 days.

What is the purpose of prison? To serve as a deterrent against other criminal acts. Given the fact that Whalberg has not been a repeat offender should say the system can work in this fashion.

If Whalberg had been black and had been caught beating a man unconscious he would be put in jail for years. He already had a bunch of convictions.
Who's fault is that? His for being born white? Or someone else's fault for handing out a lesser punishment?

Why doesn't he give a percentage of this burger business to his victims? He's done nothing at all for them!
Prove it.

I don't think felons should be punished for LIFE, however I do not think we should start making exemptions for the rich an famous before we discuss changing the law. We should change the laws so after a certain period felons can reintegrate assuming their crimes weren't terrible.
You have to make an exemption for someone to begin the process of making exemptions for everyone.

Why isn't Whalberg campaigning for all felons to get the same chance he is asking for? There are tens of thousands of convicted felons (half on BS drug charges that are way way more tame that what Whalberg did) currently living normal lives as marginalized members of society who will never get a break. Now Whalberg the millionaire wants to be special. He's so special! He deserves it, but those tens of thousands of drug felons don't?
ANGER DANGER!

:p

TreVader

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2013
What is the purpose of prison? To serve as a deterrent against other criminal acts. Given the fact that Whalberg has not been a repeat offender should say the system can work in this fashion.

Who's fault is that? His for being born white? Or someone else's fault for handing out a lesser punishment?

Prove it.

You have to make an exemption for someone to begin the process of making exemptions for everyone.

ANGER DANGER!

:p

The only person angry here is you, you're the one answering every single post with a page of "refutations" (lol) filled with capital letters and emoticons.

Anyway, he deserves far worse than he got. If he was offering his victims a few measly thousand dollars I would consider him to at least have some remorse for what he did. As it stands, he feels that his "contributions" to society (in the form of such cinematic masterpieces as 'Pain and Gain') warrant a pardon based on the fact that he's rich, he doesn't beat up Asians and hasn't in a long time, and he wants to make more money. That's his argument: "I'm not racist anymore and it's been a long time". So fucking what?

As I said, there are ways to make his request reasonable but he needs to do SOMETHING besides just exist and not be racist to deserve a pardon. Let's have him give a tiny fraction of his millions to help the people he brutalized? Or maybe he should serve his full sentence? He didn't even "do his time", lol.

No pardon for Whalberg until he makes up for his shitty mistakes.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Pardon the man. He clearly has superior values now that increase with every movie he wraps.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
TheVader should the victim opinion count for anything when it comes to pardoning? Here the actual victim says he should be pardon.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
I enjoy his movies. Throw him the pardon. He has suffered enough.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
There was an interesting point raised...

Do people believe in and stand by rehabilitation?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

You think you would be able to get the pardon if you had done the same thing? If you or I couldn't, why should he?